lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: God video games: sacrilegious?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
God video games: sacrilegious?

Thread ripped in two. This is the spinoff of this thread. ~tk102

I think that God wants followers to see if they are actually loyal to Him. I think that if you are playing a game when a "god" is the main character, it is sinful. 1st commandment out of the 10 commandment is " You shall have no other Gods but me. " Playing a game that makes you a god is not right in the Eyes of my God.


Last edited by tk102; 10-18-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Playing a game that makes you a god is not right in the Eyes of my God.
don't click me
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
thats not cool man

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Anyway, any help would be good, especially from the Chrisitan wing of the LF Board.
YOu asked the "Christian wing", and Christians only believe in one God.

Use the edit button instead of double posting, please. --Jae


Last edited by Jae Onasi; 10-13-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: combined double post
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
SykoRevan
Junior Member
 
SykoRevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere with ice cubes and alot of pudding.
Posts: 313
I'm god enough in The Sims, where I control all the tiny little people
But forgive me if this was stated already, but what genre would this game be? Adventure, Fighting, RPG, RTS, MMORPG (for more gods than Mt. Olympus ) It could be a game like the Sims, where you create the universe, and make sure it doesn't destroy itself, and you also have the ability to do things to the people, like make them drop dead, pick them up and throw them in the ocean, and other things which are meaningless, yet also addictive fun. *sigh,* if only it was possible in real life, I'd pick up some WBC protesters, and throw them into the Bermuda Triangle. And yes, in this game, the Bermuda Triangle should exist, as well as Bigfoot, so you could pick him up and put him in a taxi cab. Other activities include creating a plague of locusts inside a restaurant (which would severely lower their health department grade), creating natural disasters, rebuilding cities, knocking them down again with another natural disaster, and burning bushes (not the president... unless you enter a cheat code )

P.S. How come the Christian God is the only one you can't make video games about?

SykoRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Eyes of my God.
Do you capitalize every body part of God's? Like would a crescent moon be "His Toenail" or something?


Also tee kay that game is awesome.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Uh...Rev, you don't have any clue what you're talking about. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" is talking about Polytheism, not talking about playing computer game where you play a god. Geez.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Uh...Rev, you don't have any clue what you're talking about. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" is talking about Polytheism, not talking about playing computer game where you play a god. Geez.
Actually I think that I do know what I am talking about. Scope said, " 1) Is playing as an all-mighty god somehow "scarligeous" or "sinful"?" I only put in my two cents.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I don't think I'm going to hell for playing Black & White.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I don't think I'm going to hell for playing Black & White.
I hope not, or i shalt be condemned to the fiery pits myself!
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Having an opinion automatically make it a valid one?
I said, "just putting in my two cents". That is what I believe to be true, and no one has to take that in to be the truth for themselves.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I ask that every time someone says they want to play as Revan in K3.
Mask of the Betrayer starts at level 18-20, KotOR III can too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
I think that if you are playing a game when a "god" is the main character, it is sinful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED, Moeller, Corinthian
(Why?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
I do know what I am talking about. Scope said, " 1) Is playing as an all-mighty god somehow "scarligeous" or "sinful"?" I only put in my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
I said, "just putting in my two cents". That is what I believe to be true,
The third time's a charm, I think I've got your opinion down now. All that's left to explain is why I should consider it valid.

(Say, perhaps a thread-splitting to Kavar's would be a good idea if the sinfulness of deified video game characters is discussed any further?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #12
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I never said that you had to take my opinion and beleive it to be true. I know this may be off topic, but Christianity is based on faith, ED. We all get to choose what we believe in, and this just happens to be what I believe in.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Uh, ED, opinons are just that, opinons. They don't need to be justified. I'm okay with Rev7 says.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #14
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Thank you SilentScope.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #15
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
I never said that you had to take my opinion and beleive it to be true. We all get to choose what we believe in, and this just happens to be what I believe in.
I'm glad to hear that you've found something you believe in. Unfortunately, however, it still hasn't gotten rid of that annoying question of mine. I could say, for instance, "It is sinful to wear blue pants." Most people's reaction to this would be "Why do you think it is sinful to wear blue pants?" were my response to be "I believe it is sinful to wear blue pants. You do not have to believe the same," it probably wouldn't be very satisfactory to whoever asked, namely because it doesn't answer the question. I guess that's what comes with believing in Absolute Truth.

You've stated numerous times I don't have to believe your opinion. Good to know you think so, but not terribly relevant. If you would claim to have a valid opinion on a matter you should at least be able to explain why you believe as you do. Nothing is right simply 'because it is'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Uh, ED, opinons are just that, opinons. They don't need to be justified.
My opinion is that they do. And don't tell me I'm wrong, it's an unjustifiable opinion. You've admitted so yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I'm glad to hear that you've found something you believe in. Unfortunately, however, it still hasn't gotten rid of that annoying question of mine. I could say, for instance, "It is sinful to wear blue pants." Most people's reaction to this would be "Why do you think it is sinful to wear blue pants?" were my response to be "I believe it is sinful to wear blue pants. You do not have to believe the same," it probably wouldn't be very satisfactory to whoever asked, namely because it doesn't answer the question. I guess that's what comes with believing in Absolute Truth.

You've stated numerous times I don't have to believe your opinion. Good to know you think so, but not terribly relevant. If you would claim to have a valid opinion on a matter you should at least be able to explain why you believe as you do. Nothing is right simply 'because it is'.
Christianity is based on faith, ED. Generally the only proof is the Bible, and your own personal experiences. That is really all that I can think of. Besides, I have NEVER stated that it "is right simply because it is". Not once. I am also very glad that you finally "get" my opinion now.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Er...to better example Rev7's ideology:

Think of it this way. By pretending to be God, you can do stuff that, well, the real God wouldn't do. You could say, "Oh, the real God is moronic for not doing A, so I'll do A." Playing as God therefore would allow you to take up the role of God, and think you are as GOOD as God, even though, well, you only have the intellect of a human, and God's intellect is too vast for you to comprehend. You will do something that the real God won't like, and besides, to pretend to be God and do what God would do is an act of hubris.

I think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #18
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
...along those lines yes...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 AM   #19
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Different genre with different kinds of characters!
I cite Revenge of the Sith and any other SW game that involves playing powerful Jedi from the start, touche Prime! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Christianity is based on faith, ED. Generally the only proof is the Bible, and your own personal experiences.
Since your case about sinful deified video game characters appears to have been drawn entirely from the bible's word we can discount the latter.

While I'm glad you've been able to tell me 'because the bible says so' rather than 'because this is what I believe', I'm afraid you've still not provided a sufficient answer. If you could explain that answer further (whether it's because you think the bible presents a sound argument against deified video game characters or because you think everything in it is true simply because it's the bible) that would go a long way in explaining your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
I have NEVER stated that it "is right simply because it is".
The foundation of your argument relies upon it being wrong because the bible says so, in other words an appeal to authority. Until you explain further your reasoning for taking what it says for granted (or in your case, taking your extrapolation of what it has said for granted) you are basically saying 'it's right because <unarguable person/idea/thing> says it's right.' However, that can be augmented with what I mentioned in the above paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
I think.
You don't, otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread. If you'd like me to argue those points with you as if they were your opinion, however, just give the heads up and I'd be glad to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #20
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
You will do something that the real God won't like, and besides, to pretend to be God and do what God would do is an act of hubris.
The question is: Why would God dislike something humans do? Since the human intellect is so negligibly miniscule, God would hardly care about what humans do, and instead think of our wars and inventions as real cute (I can imagine him posting 'lolhumans' pictures all over 4chan). Besides, since God is in control, he can just avert us from doing something wrong.

Once again, something in religion that makes no sense!


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #21
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
Once again, something in religion that makes no sense!
Once again, something in religion that is caught with phrases like "god moves in mysterious ways".


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Since this is turning into another religious debate, I'm moving it to Kavar's
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #23
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Since this is turning into another religious debate, I'm moving it to Kavar's
/shakes head. Erm.

Um. tk, is it possible to move it back to Ahto.. or maybe spiltting the topic...

not the cleanest split, but done ~tk

Quote:
If you'd like me to argue those points with you as if they were your opinion, however, just give the heads up and I'd be glad to.
Not my opinion. His opinon. *points to Rev7* I don't believe in his opinon (why I am thinking of this God Game after all ), but I wanted to articulate it for him, just because.

I said "I think" because I think that was what Rev7 believed in, that was his opinon. Now that Rev7 confirmed, I can now retract the "I think" comment, because now that I know that is what Rev7 believed in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here

Last edited by tk102; 10-18-2007 at 01:32 PM.
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #24
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
To be specific, "thou shalt not have any god's before Me." is referring to believing in other gods before God-god. You could, in theory, believe in other deities second, third, fourth, ect...to God, if we're only taking that one Commandment into question here. I'm sure there are more lines that say "no other gods AT ALL", and if somebody would like to provide them, I would be glad to see some.

In any case, I think video game gods don't count here for a couple of very valid reasons.
A: You know the "god" you are playing as is digital, and has no relevance to reality(as other historical deities would.)
B: you know it's all pretend. Since digital people can't choose to worship God-god, you are taking nothing away from God-god that He could have had. Which is where the whole "no god's before me" comes in because you're making people worship you instead of Him.

Now, if it is your(Rev7), personal beliefe, from what you have interpreted from you're experiances and how YOU think the Bible applies, then the following statement by you:
Quote:
Playing a game that makes you a god is not right in the Eyes of my God.
is inaccurate, and should read more along the lines of: "I believe that from what I have read regarding my religion and how I have personally interpreted my religion that it is not OK in my opinion to pretend to be a god in a digital format." Or something along those lines with an excessive amount of times noting that it's you're opinion.

otherwise, as has been asked, I would request of you to provide lines beyond "thou shalt not have any god's before me" from the Bible to back up you're claim.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #25
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
is inaccurate, and should read more along the lines of: "I believe that from what I have read regarding my religion and how I have personally interpreted my religion that it is not OK in my opinion to pretend to be a god in a digital format." Or something along those lines with an excessive amount of times noting that it's you're opinion.
I think that was joke mate...


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #26
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
To be specific, "thou shalt not have any god's before Me." is referring to believing in other gods before God-god. You could, in theory, believe in other deities second, third, fourth, ect...to God, if we're only taking that one Commandment into question here. I'm sure there are more lines that say "no other gods AT ALL", and if somebody would like to provide them, I would be glad to see some.

In any case, I think video game gods don't count here for a couple of very valid reasons.
A: You know the "god" you are playing as is digital, and has no relevance to reality(as other historical deities would.)
B: you know it's all pretend. Since digital people can't choose to worship God-god, you are taking nothing away from God-god that He could have had. Which is where the whole "no god's before me" comes in because you're making people worship you instead of Him.

Now, if it is your(Rev7), personal beliefe, from what you have interpreted from you're experiances and how YOU think the Bible applies, then the following statement by you:

is inaccurate, and should read more along the lines of: "I believe that from what I have read regarding my religion and how I have personally interpreted my religion that it is not OK in my opinion to pretend to be a god in a digital format." Or something along those lines with an excessive amount of times noting that it's you're opinion.

otherwise, as has been asked, I would request of you to provide lines beyond "thou shalt not have any god's before me" from the Bible to back up you're claim.
Dude, I honestly try to keep it simple, and not try to be fancy (all the time). I know that Neopolian said once, "Write as if you are writing to the village idiot" and I generally try to follow that. I THINK that it is not ok to play a game when you are a "god" as the main character. That would be considered, in my eyes, you not putting The One True God ( my "opinion") first. I FOLLOW the bible because I ( in my opinion) beleive it to be true. I also know that my God changed the life of many people. For example, Paul's ( or Saul's) life was completely altered because of God. Saul murdered many christians during his life, but one day gave his life to God. Now he was known as Paul at this time. I know that you guys will MOST LIKELY say, Is there any proof of Paul's existance? I would only say that, was there any proof of there being slaves in America at one point in time? I know this to be true because it was RECORDED.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #27
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Neopolian?

Anyway, just because you have faith in something, doesn't mean there's not a reason for it. I believe in God because I've seen his presence in mine and other people's lives, I can't really imagine life without something more, the idea of my consciousness being completely erased when I die scares the hell out of me, and the theory of Evolution and the Big Bang don't seem to hold water from my perspective.

There is evidence aside from the Bible that Jesus and his followers were real men. Jesus' existence is pretty much a fact. Whether or not he really preformed miracles, rose from the dead, or was the Son of God is all up in the air, obviously.

Anyway, you're avoiding the question with canned Christian Rhetoric. Why is it sinful to play a God Game? What if you weren't playing as a God, but merely a Demigod? Or maybe a Demiurge? Is Baldur's Gate sinful? What about Planescape: Torment?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman
 
Pavlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The real world/ivory towers
Posts: 1,974
Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Uh, ED, opinons are just that, opinons. They don't need to be justified. I'm okay with Rev7 says.
One hopes that one would put thought into an area before settling on one's own opinion. The worst kind of opinion is that which is unjustified.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Neopolian?
Napoleon... I think.


StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Right. Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean you just pull it out. Everyone has a reason for their opinions, even if the reasons are fairly abstract or are hard to put into words. I don't think I've ever seen an unjustified opinion. Poorly justified ones, yes, but never one that was completely unjustified.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #30
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Right. Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean you just pull it out. Everyone has a reason for their opinions, even if the reasons are fairly abstract or are hard to put into words. I don't think I've ever seen an unjustified opinion. Poorly justified ones, yes, but never one that was completely unjustified.
Of course, we could go on for ages about exactly how to define a "reason" as a valid, be it good or bad, justification for thinking a certain way about a specific thing.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #31
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
What if you weren't playing as a God, but merely a Demigod? Or maybe a Demiurge? Is Baldur's Gate sinful? What about Planescape: Torment?
Good question. How about Overlord where you play a sort of Sauron-like character, commanding minions to smash and destroy?

Maybe we're all just minions in God's video game. If so, and you believe he created us in his own image...
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer
 
Titanius Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,459
Something I've been wondering while I was reading through this thread: If it's not ok to play a game where you "pretend" to be a god, what makes it ok to play a game where you slice countless people in half with a lightsaber? "Thou shalt not murder" is another of the Ten Commandments.


Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #33
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sparrow
Something I've been wondering while I was reading through this thread: If it's not ok to play a game where you "pretend" to be a god, what makes it ok to play a game where you slice countless people in half with a lightsaber?
Plot holes.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #34
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
No, you're thinking of Selective Morality.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #35
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sparrow
Something I've been wondering while I was reading through this thread: If it's not ok to play a game where you "pretend" to be a god, what makes it ok to play a game where you slice countless people in half with a lightsaber? "Thou shalt not murder" is another of the Ten Commandments.
That is very true ; I never thought about that. Umm, you know, I don't know how to answer that question. I guess that that is a sin that I have commited, and you have brought it the light (for me). Anyways, I will have to think on that for a while and get back to you guys, because frankly, right know I don't know how to respond to that right now.

BTW-- Neopolian- the famous french leader general/ leader/emperor/dictator figure.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
No, you're thinking of Selective Morality.
Either or, really.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #37
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Umm, you know, I don't know how to answer that question.
It's pretty easy really.

"Thou shalt not murder" != "Thou shalt not simulate murder"
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #38
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
It's pretty easy really.

"Thou shalt not murder" != "Thou shalt not simulate murder"
It is in the eyes of The Lord.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #39
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
It's pretty easy really.

"Thou shalt not murder" != "Thou shalt not simulate murder"
That I already knew, tk. I was, I guess you could say a little bit "stunned" because Capt. Sparrow was 100% correct with what he said. My question to all christians who view this thread, why do we play video games that are like that, if we know it to be sin? Me, I am gonna do my best to get off of those kinda games from now on, it WILL be difficult, but now that that has been said, that is something that I will have to do. I am still going to do a little research and think about that this weekend.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #40
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
"Thou shalt not murder" != "Thou shalt not simulate murder"
That I already knew, tk...why do we play video games that are like that, if we know it to be sin?
I think you missed my implication of "therefore not a sin" part.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > God video games: sacrilegious?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.