lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: KOTOR III - Going to happen?
Yes, of course it is! 34 34.69%
Maybe, it's hard to say. 37 37.76%
I'm sort of doubting it... 23 23.47%
No way! Of course it's not coming out! 4 4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: KOTOR III - Really going to happen?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Sam!
Rookie
 
Sam!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western Australia!
Posts: 84
Current Game: BF: Bad Company
KOTOR III - Really going to happen?

Okay, so I am sort of having some doubts that KOTOR III will ever be released. As much as I would love it to...well I am sort of doubting it. If it is coming out, it's been postponed, probably because of a new game. My cousin told me that I think it's called 'The Force Unleashed' is coming out soon, and they may have had a break in making KOTOR III in doing that.

Vote in the poll and post what you think.
Sam! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
spark91
Rookie
 
spark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 41
I am personally starting to dought it myself, i would be happy even they said they were just thinking about making the game.
spark91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Natch. If we could reasonably predict the ending to K3 (True Sith loses and get genocided), why bother releasing the game?


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air
 
Master Zionosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: High In The Sky
Posts: 1,280
Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Natch. If we could reasonably predict the ending to K3 (True Sith loses and get genocided), why bother releasing the game?
It's not about predicting the ending of each game, it doesn't matter if we know what's going to happen, don't tell me just because you think you know what will happen you don't want to play it, that's just silly

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Weiser_Cain
Forumite
 
Weiser_Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Here and there about Chicago
Posts: 562
I heard a rumor that bioware was talking to LA and is doing the next one from somewhere which makes sense since Obsidian did a meh job at best.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Orzo17
Rookie
 
Orzo17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16
uhm,it's kinda hard to say if it's going to happen(although i'd like to hear that it has been developed in secret and it wil appear in X months).But i don't know who could develop it.I liked the world design of Bioware,the puzzles and the quests.I also liked the party influence system,the multiple jedi classes,the variety of items,weapons,lightsaber upgrades,skills and feats of TSL.Tough call...
Orzo17 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Miltiades
Death... by Exile
 
Miltiades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bruges, Belgium
Posts: 2,832
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain
I heard a rumor that bioware was talking to LA and is doing the next one from somewhere which makes sense since Obsidian did a meh job at best.
Bioware has already stated that they will develop own IP only, so that they aren't bound to the rules and boundaries from IP's from other companies (such as Star Wars and the D&D realm). And I, personally, think that Obsidian did a great job. If I want K3 to be made, I'd rather want Obsidian to work on it.

That said, I still believe K3 is being thought about by LucasArts and that they still intent to make a third Kotor. Of course, each year I'm becoming less certain of that.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
pegasus71
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 33
honestly the longer we wait the less chance we have to get it done...too bad LA is not realising the potential a 3rd installment has
pegasus71 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Weiser_Cain
Forumite
 
Weiser_Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Here and there about Chicago
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
Bioware has already stated that they will develop own IP only, so that they aren't bound to the rules and boundaries from IP's from other companies (such as Star Wars and the D&D realm). And I, personally, think that Obsidian did a great job. If I want K3 to be made, I'd rather want Obsidian to work on it.

That said, I still believe K3 is being thought about by LucasArts and that they still intent to make a third Kotor. Of course, each year I'm becoming less certain of that.
When did they say this? If it's the old announcement then things could have changed.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
^^^
When did who say what? Are you asking about when did BioWare say they were going to work on their own IP only OR LucasArts stating their intent to continue the KotOR franchise?

Since it was only last November when a LucasArts VP stated LA wanted to grow the KotOR franchise I tend to believe we will see at least one more KotOR game. IMO it's just a question of when and what type of game it will be.

By this time next year though if we haven't gotten an official KotOR announcement out of LucasArts or some other reassurance that KotOR is still in their plans then I will start thinking their plans have changed and KotOR may not have a future.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls
 
Darth Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 667
Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
I hope its based on Revan and the Exile
EDIT: when should it be coming out?

Darth Xander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
Kas'!m
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 364
Of course it's not coming out. Lucasarts likes letting down its customers (e.g. Revenge of the Sith videogame).
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
spark91
Rookie
 
spark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas'!m
Of course it's not coming out. Lucasarts likes letting down its customers (e.g. Revenge of the Sith videogame).
I just hope your wrong.
spark91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Zionosis
It's not about predicting the ending of each game, it doesn't matter if we know what's going to happen, don't tell me just because you think you know what will happen you don't want to play it, that's just silly
No, actually, I won't play a game if I feel like it is too cliched and that there is no real reason to play it. One major factor in making so I won't play is if the True Sith get annilhated regardless of alignment. I'm sure a couple more factors will sway me to boycott K3 in the same way many Star War purists are boycotting TSL. Currently, my fear is that K3 will be the weakest of the trilogy. I need to see the actual game to be proven wrong...

If Obisidan is making K3, which I suspect they will, then it might be a bump up for the chances of me making a donation into George Lucas' retirement fund. Obisidan is likely to come up with something new. Still, always hedging the bets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #15
Sam!
Rookie
 
Sam!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western Australia!
Posts: 84
Current Game: BF: Bad Company
If it is released, I'm guessing it's going to be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. See, I have xbox and PS2, and they do this to get people to buy the consoles. Personally, I enjoy the KotOR gameplay on xbox. They don't have it on PS2, but if it is released on say...PS3, it would anger PS2 owners, yet the PS3 owners would be happy. Rather complicated. I really would like some evidence.
Sam! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #16
Weiser_Cain
Forumite
 
Weiser_Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Here and there about Chicago
Posts: 562
I'm ashamed I had to go here to get this

'Earlier this year, BioWare announced the formation of a mini-studio devoted to developing the new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic MMO. Since then, BioWare has remained mum about the extent of what they are developing, but rumor has it that they might be working on KOTOR 3 for Next Gen systems like the Xbox 360.

"The Internet is ablaze as most fans are tepid about the MMO, but absolutely getting their panties in a bunch at the thought of a new KOTOR RPG.

Perhaps there will be some sort of interesting announcement at next month's E3, but if not, fans will have to continue to cross their fingers.'
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...Christmas.html

I seriously doubt it'll be out this year
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #17
Kas'!m
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 364
I'm telling you guys it isn't ever coming out.
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #18
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain
I'm ashamed I had to go here to get this

'Earlier this year, BioWare announced the formation of a mini-studio devoted to developing the new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic MMO. Since then, BioWare has remained mum about the extent of what they are developing, but rumor has it that they might be working on KOTOR 3 for Next Gen systems like the Xbox 360.

"The Internet is ablaze as most fans are tepid about the MMO, but absolutely getting their panties in a bunch at the thought of a new KOTOR RPG.

Perhaps there will be some sort of interesting announcement at next month's E3, but if not, fans will have to continue to cross their fingers.'
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...Christmas.html

I seriously doubt it'll be out this year
It's bunk. This is G4 posting a rumor they got from CVG who in turn got it from the rumor section in an issue of EGM or something along those lines. Follow the trail and you'll see.

Yes, BioWare is making an MMORPG but BioWare hasn't specified anything about what type of content their MMOG will have. Sure, maybe it will turn out to be a KotOR-based MMOG but at this point that is pure conjecture, not fact.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Quote:
Yes, BioWare is making an MMORPG but BioWare hasn't specified anything about what type of content their MMOG will have. Sure, maybe it will turn out to be a KotOR-based MMOG but at this point that is pure conjecture, not fact.
While that is very true, I wrote a blog explaining the great possibility that LA and Obisidian would have if it is a Kotor MMORPG. I do think they are thinking about it at least, and probably even have thought it well out.


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
Orzo17
Rookie
 
Orzo17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16
what??A KotOR MMO?Bite your tongue...sheesh.Why?If you want a SW MMO go play Galaxies.KotOR is a game known and loved for it's awesome storyline.KotOR MMO is for fanboys.
[/bash]
Orzo17 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #21
dewayne26
Rookie
 
dewayne26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wills Point, Tx
Posts: 154
sw:galaxies is a waste of time and money now. it used to be great.............but soe and la had to ruin it.


Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #22
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Exactly. KOTOR-MMO would be ruined too. It's about the MMO gerne why SW: Galaxies failed, anything that becomes an MMO can suffer.

Why? The Jedi Problem. Too many Jedi and the game become stupid as an "Army of Generals" game. Too few Jedi and...er...it's not Star Wars anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #23
Beast-Thrasher
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 154
If they do make another one I want them to finish of this storyline or even make a fourth with the after math of everything, but I'm getting ahead of myself. If they do want to make an mmo I wouldn't mind it as long as it looked something like this:

You have your KIII and the whole regular game like we had in K1 and K2, however I wouldn't mind a whole NWN2 thing where you could make you own maps and crap and play with other peeps online or on a lan whether this be your modules or the regular game. Now for an MMO it could just be in a different slot that says MMO(yes real original) and it would start with the events that have just happened in the regular KIII, something like this.

Oh and also the MMO would be free online play but this is LA so I doubt that.
Beast-Thrasher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #24
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1
 
JoeDoe 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aeros
Posts: 1,907
If LucasArts does it, good, if not then its no big deal. I would rather like them do some live action series about KOTOTR rather than a game.


JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #25
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast-Thrasher
If they do make another one I want them to finish of this storyline or even make a fourth with the after math of everything, but I'm getting ahead of myself. If they do want to make an mmo I wouldn't mind it as long as it looked something like this:
<SNAP>

Oh and also the MMO would be free online play but this is LA so I doubt that.
Sounds like a large scale NWNish game? I guess that would be acceptable. But since SWG I won't hold any high hopes for any SW based MMO.

Seriously whassup with the whole "Is it there Yet?" with a KotOR sequel/prequel?? Yes we all want it to happen, but going "Is it there Yet?" every month or so does not help bring it out any faster.

Tell you guys what, just post "New KotOR comes out next month" at the start of every month, and one of them is going to hit home one day... keyword being "one day".

So please quit digging out reposting ancient debunked rumors again and again every couple months.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Quote:
Bite your tongue...sheesh.Why?If you want a SW MMO go play Galaxies.KotOR is a game known and loved for it's awesome storyline.KotOR MMO is for fanboys.
That's real mature, insult me because you don't agree with me. I do, actually, play Star Wars: Galaxies , and it is a decent game. Knights Of The Old Republic is loved for not only its storyline but very smooth (on the PC and Xbox) gameplay. If you read my blog, I don't think a Kotor MMORPG should replace a Kotor III; quite the opposite. I think they should make both, opening the Saga to whole new branch of fans. While you may not like Galaxies, thousands of others do and like it because it's an MMORPG. Think about the possibilities of combining both groups. A smart move if it's done correctly.

Quote:
Why? The Jedi Problem. Too many Jedi and the game become stupid as an "Army of Generals" game. Too few Jedi and...er...it's not Star Wars anymore.
I believe if they make the game, they should make the Jedi class only avaible to people who unlock it. That's how it was in Galaxies originally, and the only complaint (no one is ever truly happy.) was that it was to hard. I wonder, have either of you played the game post SOE or are you going by what people are saying?


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #27
dewayne26
Rookie
 
dewayne26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wills Point, Tx
Posts: 154
i played swg for over 4 years. i don't mind all the jedi. my problem was the combat system and the way push the nge the live servers when they knew it wasn't ready


Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #28
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
I believe if they make the game, they should make the Jedi class only avaible to people who unlock it. That's how it was in Galaxies originally, and the only complaint (no one is ever truly happy.) was that it was to hard.
Yes, but then locking out content for only a few people to get it sounds...stupid. And if people do level up to 60 or such and GET the Jedi Class...you get back to the same problem, it becomes an "Army of Generals".

Quote:
I wonder, have either of you played the game post SOE or are you going by what people are saying?
Going by what people are saying. Which leads to the other reason against MMOs.

Many people don't like them. And time devoted to making MMOs could be better off being used for other stuff that more fans would prefer. It takes a lot of effort to come up with content, and may not be profitable or useful in the long term.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Lucasarts has never failed to cash in on the popularity of Star Wars. Therefore, it's a simple fact that there will eventually be a K3.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #30
Darca Lar
Forumite
 
Darca Lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 532
Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
or a spinoff, the possibilties are deserting eachother by the month.


Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #31
Carodej
Rookie
 
Carodej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 23
I voted for the no way option since I think it's the closest to what is likely to happen, though I do still believe there is a small chance we might get a KotOR3. I wish I had special knowledge of what LucasArts is doing in regards to another KotOR, but since I don't, I can only speculate like everyone else. My perspective is shaped by many years in a large corporate environment where I dealt a lot with IT projects, their projected costs and benefits, the politics of getting a project done, etc. So based on that, here is my best guess as to the way things are going...

KotOR3 is still being considered by LucasArts. Unfortunately, during the meetings on choosing which game(s) to develop next, the amount of potential games LucasArts has with a net profit potential greater than KotOR3 has been equal to or greater than the number of games LucasArts wishes to be developing at the time. Worse (for us), is that LucasArts seems to only want a very limited number of new Star Wars games out each year. This means that by the time LucasArts is ready to do a new one there is an increasing greater chance they will have a new and "better" game idea to try instead. (Think about this for a moment, for people whose job is to develop game ideas, then the best way to "prove" their competence is to come up with something better than the existing ideas, which motivates them to try to sell their new concept as best they can. Therefore there are almost certainly LucasArts employees who are effectively working hard to make sure we won't get a KotOR3.) Also as time passes, the existing base of eager KotOR fans awaiting a KotOR3 is shrinking, something that they are surely aware of at LucasArts. Then there is their new Star Wars game, the Force Unleashed (which does look pretty cool, if more in the general style of a FPS using the Force as opposed to a CRPG - at least based on what little I have seen on their site). If this is successful, I expect LucasArts will be much more interested in a sequel for that, as opposed to going back to KotOR.

I could have gone on, but to me it pretty much boils down to a small and ever decreasing chance of LucasArts doing a KotOR3. My main hope is a change in key personnel in LucasArts, or a change in their policy of making so few new Star Wars games.
Carodej is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #32
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carodej
KotOR3 is still being considered by LucasArts. Unfortunately, during the meetings on choosing which game(s) to develop next, the amount of potential games LucasArts has with a net profit potential greater than KotOR3 has been equal to or greater than the number of games LucasArts wishes to be developing at the time.
If games like LEGO Star Wars and Battlefront sell better than KotOR then it seems logical for LA to continue making those games to maximize profit. And from all accounts I've read both of those franchises sold more units than the KotOR franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carodej
Worse (for us), is that LucasArts seems to only want a very limited number of new Star Wars games out each year.
IMO it's a mixed bag. On the one hand I think SW gaming fans want LA to release high-quality games, not shortchanged ones like KotOR II: TSL. So if LA needs to make fewer SW games so they can focus on quality instead of quantity then that is a good thing. As you point out however the unfortunate tradeoff is some games won't get made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carodej
This means that by the time LucasArts is ready to do a new one there is an increasing greater chance they will have a new and "better" game idea to try instead.
Agreed. It seems likely that LA will have games to support the two new SW TV series so that again puts the squeeze on KotOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carodej
My main hope is a change in key personnel in LucasArts, or a change in their policy of making so few new Star Wars games.
I think chances of the first hope are quite slim. The second one could have wiggle room. LA has tried to limit their SW games in the past and didn't get it done. LA is a different company with Jim Ward at the helm though. I think he is more likely to stick to his guns on the two SW games/year though if LA doesn't release enough successful non-SW games then I think they might not be able to resist the temptation to dip more often in the good ole' reliable SW well.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #33
Jazz.z
Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Languedoc-Rousillon, France
Posts: 7
Well, Lucas Forums moderators should be really weird to open a specific forum to discuss about kotor III if they knew it wasn't going to happen. Imagine how many DS points they could gain from this.
Jazz.z is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #34
Linky Triforce
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Around
Posts: 32
It will come, but I do not think it is on the table just yet..

They have said that they haven't forgotten about the Knights of the Old Republic series, Republic Commando series and the Battlefront series(coming one out to PSP soon)

Currently most of their development is going into their new system DMM and Europhia for The Force Unleashed, Indiana Jones and Fracture. If they do make one, I think they are going to break away from the mold we have now, and try to add the DMM/Europhia to the game... which means it'll probably be a inhouse project and probably only for a 360/PS3 since I doubt a PC can handle it at the moment(well casual PC's anyways and i'd rather play it on a PC than a console)


My guess is that after the force unleashed game is out(spring 2008) we are either going to see a couple of new star wars titles:

Highest chance of new Star Wars game

1) Battlefront series (very popular game, but very simple too)
2) Jedi Knight series (probably one of LucasArts longest and best selling games todate)
3) Republic Commando series (ranked so high because it has been so long since this was released, and people have waited longer... that and another book is out this fall based on these)
4) Knights of the Old Republic series (would really like a Knights 3! and even a 4 and 5. But a very expensive type of game to make due to large storylines, loads of voice actors and work hours)
5) All new Star Wars game series (LucasArts is always on the edge of new developments, and the Star Wars galaxies is so huge that there is always a new story to be told)
6) Empire at War series (the last expansion sucked, was buggy and probably did more harm than good)

Lowest chance of a new Star Wars game

Last edited by Linky Triforce; 09-22-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Linky Triforce is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #35
John Galt
Junior Member
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 474
Maybe George is just waiting until we all give up hope to announce K3...





Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #36
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
It won't be out for at least another year.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #37
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Best to assume it just isn't going to. That way you'll avoid any disappointment if you're right and be pleasantly surprised if you're wrong.

Speculation is all useless IMO, though. We've already got two great games with memorable characters, and it's obvious how KotOR III would end anyway (good triumphing over evil). I kind of enjoy having the true Sith kept in the dark, too - we all fear the unknown, and the reason I think the true Sith seem so fearsome is that they are unknown. That and we've not run into the inevitable troubles involved in integrating Revan/Exile into the story, or have had to witness *another* PC come out of nowhere and go from zero to hero. (Oh gods, if they did that again...)

So anyway, whether KotOR III comes out or not I'll be a happy camper. But either it will or it won't, and me speculating over it isn't going to change that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #38
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
If games like LEGO Star Wars and Battlefront sell better than KotOR then it seems logical for LA to continue making those games to maximize profit. And from all accounts I've read both of those franchises sold more units than the KotOR franchise.
You're probably right, but LA's premise escapes me. It's as if the company presumes all Star Wars games will sell to the same audience simply because they are Star Wars games. To me that is a misconception, because I need look no further than myself to see the theory disproven. I'm attracted to CRPGs and few other games. Granted, I do own Battlefront, but only after the pricetag fell after the release of Battlefront 2. I don't own Battlefront 2, and I'm not going to unless I stumble across it in the cheapos pile. And I'm not even going to go looking for it there, either.

Not so with KotOR3, which I'm seriously going to consider buying at the full price tag when it comes out.

I have none of the LEGO Star Wars games, and I'm not going to either. I don't play kids' games on my computer. Don't get me wrong - that's no bash against Legos. I like Legos, but they just aren't Star Wars to me, and so I'm not going anywhere near any game that combines the two.

So basically LA is making very little or no money from me as long as they continue this policy, because I won't be interested in the games they publish.

Battlefront, KotOR and LEGO Star Wars may all be Star Wars games, but to assume that they will all appeal to the same audience for that reason alone is a pretty far leap IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
IMO it's a mixed bag. On the one hand I think SW gaming fans want LA to release high-quality games, not shortchanged ones like KotOR II: TSL. So if LA needs to make fewer SW games so they can focus on quality instead of quantity then that is a good thing. As you point out however the unfortunate tradeoff is some games won't get made.
While that sounds plausible, you seem to me to presume something that I don't think is the case, namely that LA can only develop so many games at a given time. But since LA develop few of those games themselves, that does not seem to me to be the case. LA usually hires others to make the games for them, so development time really isn't an issue, I think, as there are certainly enough developers around.

It's true that there is a chance of oversaturating the market if too many Star Wars games are published, but the "only two Star Wars games per year" philosophy just seems flawed given that the games don't all target the same audience. If they did, we would not hang around here wondering about when or if KotOR3 is coming out - we'd be playing the newest Star Wars games and discussing them on the relevant forums. I know that I do neither, and I doubt I'm the only one.

So while LA might make more money on LEGO Star Wars and Battlefront than from KotOR - and I don't know if that's the case or not - they are cheating themselves out of the money they could make from people like me, because we're not going to buy the games they publish.

That being the case, the only valid consideration for whether KotOR3 should be made or not (assuming that a suitable and compelling plot exists or can be written) is really whether LA would make a profit on it, not whether Battlefront 3 or LEGO-whatever would make more money. Profit is still profit. Even if you make less of it from KotOR3 than you do from Battlefront 3, you're still making more $$ altogether.

Instead LA is now losing people like me from their potential audience - and therefore losing potential profit - because I'll be going elsewhere with my money. Heck, LA doesn't even need to look for a developer, seeing as how Obsidian is actively pushing for a KotOR3.

This is really a no-brainer, LA. What's the hold-up?

My prediction: Yes, KotOR3 will come. But we're all better off presuming that it won't, because it could be a long wait indeed. Hope for the best, but always expect the worst...


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #39
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Best to assume it just isn't going to. That way you'll avoid any disappointment if you're right and be pleasantly surprised if you're wrong.

Speculation is all useless IMO, though. We've already got two great games with memorable characters, and it's obvious how KotOR III would end anyway (good triumphing over evil). I kind of enjoy having the true Sith kept in the dark, too - we all fear the unknown, and the reason I think the true Sith seem so fearsome is that they are unknown. That and we've not run into the inevitable troubles involved in integrating Revan/Exile into the story, or have had to witness *another* PC come out of nowhere and go from zero to hero. (Oh gods, if they did that again...)

So anyway, whether KotOR III comes out or not I'll be a happy camper. But either it will or it won't, and me speculating over it isn't going to change that.

I totally agree with you ED, Expect the worst hope for the best....

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #40
Henz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 362
It'll be too long to wait for a traditional KOTORIII to be successful in LA's eyes. I think a spin-off game may happen though.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > KOTOR III - Really going to happen?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.