lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Tech News and Gossip thread...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #361
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Here's some very interesting news.... The new GTX260, with an extra 24 stream processors...(216 total) Full review here
Sounds interesting but what is NVIDIA going to call it? GTX 260+? GTX 270? With Team Green it's hard to predict nowadays.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #362
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
If youve read the review Charr, youd know that its called GTX 260 Core 216.. sounds very sci-fi does it not

Here's a link to EVGA's C216 page FYI

I have to admit.... Im teetering between getting one of these or a ps3 in the next few weeks .....cant decide

....Maybe reading some TFU reviews will help me decide

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-18-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #363
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
If youve read the review Charr, youd know that its called GTX 260 Core 216.. sounds very sci-fi does it not
You've got to be kidding... I did see that in the article but I thought it was G3D's pet nickname for it or something like that. I didn't actually think NVIDIA was calling it that. Chalk up another flabbergasting name to Team Green.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #364
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
its called GTX 260 Core 216.. sounds very sci-fi does it not
I find that it sounds more confusing to the average buyer than anything else (or is that what you meant by "sci-fi"? )...reminds me the 8800gts series...I know a few people who paid a higher price for an older and less performing card such as the 8800gts 640MB (G80) rather than going for the 8800gts 512MB (G92).
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #365
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Speaking about nVidia:

They just cut 6.5% of their employees
^ Tough times for everyone these days I suppose, not just investment bankers...

First 6-core processors are upon us, by Intel of course!
^ Interesting, a TDP of 130W is indeed a bit toasty for the 2.66Ghz one, but a new Quad at 50W sounds quite interesting for us power saving freaks out there *cough*astro*cough*

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #366
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
I find that it sounds more confusing to the average buyer than anything else....
I'd venture to say the C216 is something the 'average buyer' wouldn't even contemplate. This thing is targeted at us 'more money than sense' ubergeeks enthusiasts

@negsun..amd has green plans too... I'm personally interested in what fusion will do for power consumption..if only we had more info on fusion than some AMD roadmap slides featuring various animal and insect names

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #367
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

According to CustomPC
Quote:
There’s a new GeForce GTX 260 in town, but it’s quite a different beast from the standard GTX 260, even though it has exactly the same name. Okay, we admit it’s beyond us why Nvidia decided to give the GeForce 9800 GTX name to a GPU that was almost identical to the 512MB GeForce 8800 GTS, but has stuck with the same GTX 260 name for a new GPU.
So it looks like it's the OEM's that are determining how to name this new GTX 260. According to CustomPC BFG Tech is calling it the GTX 260 MaxCore, EVGA is calling it GTX 260 Core 216, and Zotac is calling it GTX 260². I checked Newegg and the BFG Tech GTX 260's don't have MaxCore anywhere in the product description at the present time. And after checking NVIDIA's website there is still no mention of the new GTX 260 with 216 stream processors. I thought NVIDIA wasn't handling this well but now...

In more DirectX 11 news, Bit-Tech.net has published an article on the new features of DirectX 11. I was particularly interested in how DirectX 11's compute shader seems positioned to provide a standardized physics processing solution that could supplant PhysX and Havok and possibly CUDA and CAL on the GPGPU side of things as well.

Last edited by Char Ell; 09-20-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #368
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hehe.... what's in a name Char ? I'd say as MaxCore hasnt hit the shelves yet, you wont find much about them outside of reviewers with their hands on factory releases It's just a variant of their overclocked range... I daresay the XFX version will sport several XXX in it again, the XFX XXX GTX260 EXTREME216 XXX EXTRA EDITION

DX11 does promise good things, but you realise you will need windows7 to use it I havent heard a whiff of anything that tells us Vista is making a DX11 jump...heck, game devs are nowhere near being 10.1 compliant

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #369
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
DX11 does promise good things, but you realise you will need windows7 to use it I havent heard a whiff of anything that tells us Vista is making a DX11 jump...heck, game devs are nowhere near being 10.1 compliant
I thought I read somewhere that DX11 would be compatible with Vista as well as all DX10 compatible hardware.
Can't find a link for that info atm though, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #370
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

On page 2 of the bit-tech.net article I linked to it has the slides Microsoft used when they announced and presented DirectX 11 at their Gamefest event. One of those slides specifically states that "Direct3D 11 will be available on Windows Vista and future Windows operating systems."

IMHO that is really a good thing because I can only imagine the PC game development nightmare that would result from having DirectX 9 on Windows XP, DirectX 10 on Windows Vista, and DirectX 11 on Windows 7 with no cross-compatibility.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #371
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Interesting+lolz... I obviously have been waylaid by fanboy rumour because I havent thought about since prior to the announcement(as I dont have a 10.1 card)

I have only looked at it very quickly, but Im not sure if DX10.1 is even on my system... I have one rig runningSP1 and have checked via dxdiag that it doesnt have 10.1 listed.. or will it only appear if you have a 10.1 card??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #372
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

check out G3Ds review of EVGAs GTX 260 Core 16 Superclocked! RRP $299USD, pretty much identical in performance to the stock 280 1024MB , esp at 16x12 or above [/awesomez] \o/

Definitely my #1 contender now I was all set to get the PS3 for TFU but given the so-so response by many to it(especially the 'could have been longer'/'too repetitive' bits) I think Id prefer to upgrade my GPU, which will get used properly

*ruminates*

Also, its good HH took heed of many of our prods to start including folding/physx/CUDA info

the 260 will indeed be a good little folder

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #373
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
^^^^
make sure you get a good game to flex the new GPU muscle on. say, Crysis: Warhead or STALKER: Clear Skies...

and while you're going with the GTX 260 Core 16, i went ahead and picked up a Gigabyte 4850 1GB. the nice part about this one, though, is that it has a Zalman cooler on it. according to the article from Gure3D, this cooler, though noisy, does a great job of cooling the card. review here.

the bonus is that i've duped sold my current 2900 Pro to a friend for $100, and that means my net purchase price for the 4850 is only $119.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #374
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

^^^
Hey stinger! Whatever happened to that Sapphire 4850 you were going to get?

Here is something that should get Astro to sit up and take notice. Intel Claims Core Microprocessors Saved World Economy $2 Billion In Energy Costs. How much credence can we put in that kind of a claim?

Last edited by Char Ell; 09-26-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: had to add thread appropriate content after ribbing stinger
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #375
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

@stinger...congrats on the new kit... you must surely be joining the fold with us soon? Since teamLFN has entered the top 3000 we now get geeky+cool sigz, you may have noticed Im not that keen to get to Crysis warhead... I can only handle so much FPS... and Im actually slowly playing Elite Force 2 for some Trek/Quake Engine goodness Id love to run Mass Effect at 1600p and the new FIFA09 is due soon and is meant to have next gen gfx - so I want to do that at 19x12 at least - which the core 216 should allow me to do...

As for intels energy propaganda, I think the dude who commented first said it all... There is a buttload of netburst P4s still out there, heck even F@Hs benchmarking rig is a P4! They need to get an estimation of the amount of energy the P4s have wasted/are still wasting, and then subtract that from their $2 billion!

It must be said, they have been moving in the right direction post netburst. The atom is a step in the right direction... BUT, its almost sickening the amount of hype the atom has gotten when you consider it still cant hold a candle to AMDs old and magical K8 architecture
In fact, the Athlon 64 2000+ at 8 watts outperforms and draws less power than the atome 230... ah, good ole K8.

Full 14 page analysis at Toms HERE

Apparently, since that article, green pc peeps have been bouncing around like monkeys scrounging for an Athlon 2000+ (I have a 3200 sitting in my cupboard, biding its time for a htpc berth)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-26-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #376
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
^^^
Hey stinger! Whatever happened to that Sapphire 4850 you were going to get?
better price + factory overclock + 1GB GDDR3 > higher price + stock clocks +512MB GDDR3.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #377
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hmm...here's something a little different from the world of pc cases

apart from small form factor, another thing I really like is things a bit weird/futuristic looking(like my prius)... I came across this in my travels

the antec skeleton case

If I could find ourt whether my older shuttles flex-atx mobo would fit on it....I might go for it for a tucked a way folding rig... hmmm

in things that are more definite, the EVGA Core216 have finally hit our shores.. Id say T-minus 2 weeks til I have one ... hmmm >> now what to do with the 8800GTS 640??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 09-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #378
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
^^^

wow, I Love It!

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #379
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO
"...My parts are showing?!"
Good luck keeping the dust out of that thing.

Cooling wouldn't be a problem, though.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #380
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Pretty much a direct response to the Core 216, ATI has come out with the 4870 1024MB. Almost goes blow for blow with the C216, though the larger framebuffer and GDDR5 seems to give it an edge in some higher AA contexts.

If you were an ATI fan and wanted a a single GPU that can cut the mustard, then this is your baby Still a bit hot n hungry for me... getting to 85C on load.... My 8800GTS folds almost 24/7 and it sits in the mid 60s during all that(in a smallform case). AMD! What happenned to the ''cool and quiet'' approach !?

Check out G3Ds detailed review HERE

and whilst we're on the topic of interesting alternatives, I have just found out the newest version of vmware virtualisation software now supports directx9c does this mean we will now be able to run KOTOR inside a virtual XP environment in vista, without needing to dual boot??!!

...get the evaluation version and give it a go!! (Im a bit too busy atm)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 09-30-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #381
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
Pretty much a direct response to the Core 216, ATI has come out with the 4870 1024MB.
I think you've got it backwards. The Core 216 is a direct response to the 4870.

As far as 48xx's temp problems go, they can be fixed by changing the fan profiles to the point where it is no longer an issue. Like I've said before, the performance of these two cards is so close that it really comes down to two things: price and fanboi-ism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
I have just found out the newest version of vmware virtualisation software now supports directx9c does this mean we will now be able to run KOTOR inside a virtual XP environment in vista, without needing to dual boot??!!
I have no experience whatsoever with VMWare. [stupid question]Would you still need a copy of XP to do so? [/stupid question]

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #382
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I think you've got it backwards. The Core 216 is a direct response to the 4870.
Yes of course, but given the release schedule of the 1024DDR5 version of the 4870,it can be seen as a direct response the the C216

Theres one more factor that goes beyond politics and fanboyism....
*points at sig*

Im seriously considering keeping my 8800GTS, plonking it in a new case with my other spare parts and using it as a folder / NAS media server. Im waiti9ng to see what my electricity bill says after 3 solid months of folding

@Q...Im shocked!! Yes, you do indeed need the OS disc/image from whatever OS you are wanting to virtualise

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #383
Q
The one who knocks

Like I said, I have no experience with virtualization at all. I've never even looked into it. I did indicate that it was a stupid question that I probably already knew the answer to, didn't I?

Anywho, I certainly hope that this is true and that AMD isn't just repeating the mistake that they made by grossly overexaggerating Barcelona's performance. If it is true, then we'll all have something to look forward to by the end of the year in the form of renewed competition from AMD in the CPU market. Even a 10% IPC improvement along with higher clocks would be big news.

You'd finally get your quad, Astro!

-Toker
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #384
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
...You'd finally get your quad, Astro!
yes a 3.0 GHz quaddie would be nice Im currently in the throes of getting a new GPU, so later on is good timing!

What is even cooler is theyve decided to name their hexa-core "Istanbul" !!! *waves Turkish flag proudly*

lolz....

As for virtualisation

A network admin friend let me have a ''borrow'' of his employers copy of VMWare 6....

So, are you able to run KOTOR2 within xp on vm within vista?! It came oh so close, but the answer is .... NO.

why. whilst vmware6s new drivers add DX9C support, they DO NOT add open GL, and in fact only virtualise 16MB of VRAM. So for apps that dont need openGL and can tolerate 16Mb, sure, this may well be handy for you. For gaming, nope. Youre better off dual booting into xp (or linux and running WINE)

here's some proof:

case closed....for NOW! Im sure, one day virtualisation apps will be able to run multiple FULL FEATURED OSs all at once... The coprorate world demands it, software devs would love it

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #385
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hehe..here's one for chainz, or anyone interested in video editing... check out this awesome case mod for video editing types..

WANT!

when you put a screen on anything, it makes it instantly awesome IMO[/screenjunkie]

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #386
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

I can't believe somebody hasn't already posted the big news about AMD splitting into two companies!!! AMD will now become a chip design company and their fabs will be spun off into a separate company. A couple of Abu Dhabi companies are investing billions in "The Foundry Company" and AMD will end up as a minority shareholder.

TG Daily

Seems like AMD is betting the farm again. All I can say is good luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #387
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hehe... finally! That's been hinted at and rumoured for AGES.

Lets see what shanghai will do for AMD fortunes in the CPU game

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #388
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
hehe..here's one for chainz,
Dude! I'm so in love with it, I almost cried

Between that and the Antec Skeleton case... I need to find some more reasons to build more systems.. hehehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #389
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Dude! I'm so in love with it, I almost cried

Between that and the Antec Skeleton case... I need to find some more reasons to build more systems.. hehehe
I'm surprised Astro hasn't posted this yet:

FOLDING! of course

Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #390
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
I'm surprised Astro hasn't posted this yet:

FOLDING! of course
hehe No need to state the obvious chainz is our star folder. He is like Pele, and the rest of us are the Brazilian soccer team that run alongside him

My next build that Ive been musing on about is built with folding in mind. Im pretty sure Im keeping my 8800GTS for it, so will have that and its GTX 2xx replacement all folding for teamLFN once im all done(probably by xmas) I want us to get individual+team stats sigs dammit

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #391
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Not much happening in teh tech world lately besides the big AMD split thing...

Obviously Intel has something to say about it!
^ Protecting intellectual rights my a$$, trying to establish a monopoly more like...

UAC to get chilled in Windows 7
^ Good!!! Any experienced PC user's first encounter with Vista was bound to end up in angry hate-blogs because of this awful piece of garbage software...The very first thing I learned to do in Vista was how to shut it off!

Nvidia going 55nm with 200-series.
^ lolz it looks like their naming convention gets more awesome every time the release a new line! I can't wait for the GTX1897+X-X2!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #392
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Question: When is Windows 7 coming out and what can I expect from it over Vista (and XP)?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #393
Q
The one who knocks

Looks like early 2010.

-Toker
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 AM   #394
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Question: When is Windows 7 coming out and what can I expect from it over Vista (and XP)?
More bugs and issues.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #395
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
whoa Lynky. Long time no see

I think the greatest gains with each windows build are those aimed at advanced apps, gaming and multimedia functionality. If you are just going to be using it for 'usual stuff' you can use Linux, xp whatever.

The HTPC site I work'n'lurk on has a special W7 section. Here's some recently posted tidbits:

Here's a slide AMD showed at the recent CEATEC conference in Japan.

Here's an (alleged) screenie of build 2022 of W7 which recent rumour has purported to be called "Windows Strata"

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #396
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

^^^^
looks like Vista with a more Mac-like style. i'll be more interested in how well it works, though. better hardware compatibility would be a big boost on launch day.

and that name just sounds odd to say the least. can't say i like it much.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #397
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
The "7" naming convention is actually pretty common. A lot of the time something will have the "7" at the end despite it not being the 7th in line lol.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #398
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
The "7" naming convention is actually pretty common. A lot of the time something will have the "7" at the end despite it not being the 7th in line lol.
Lolz, No need to be so literal.

That's simply because 7 is many peoples lucky number

Actually, sometimes I have wondered if there is a Lynk Latter out there somewhere... [/>googles>Nope]

There have been about 27 versions of windows (more if you count the x64, media center, embedded and tablet pc editions of xp) , but this is considered the 7th interation of the mass market consumer based line.

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME do not speak its name for it is a curse!
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Codename Longhorn > Vista
Windows Codename 7 > ?'Strata'?

My first MS based PC ran win 95. I have used all types at home or work in some form or another

Ive used as far back as 3.1 at school, but never any of the versions before that. Ive only ever met two people that said they have used windows 1.0 way back in the day

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #399
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Ive only ever met two people that said they have used windows 1.0 way back in the day
That's cause Windows 1.0 was utter cr*p

That screenie looks like some kind of version of Linux though, but then isn't that what they're trying to aim for, lower memory footprint, faster boot times, etc...

Except they can charge people rediculous prices for it of course

[/cynic mode]

Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #400
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ Astro:

I was just explaining that using "7" is quite a common naming convention, even when the previous ni a series don't use numbers in their naming convention... or if it's even the 7th in the series. For a codename or for the official name, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to be optimistic though and think 7 will be a worth while upgrade from Vista... not that I trust Vista, I'm still using XP which is chugging along lol... of course I'm starting to do the whole media pc thing lately since my HDTV is my second monitor and XP isn't really working out well for that.

Also, isn't there a 3 image limit on the sig images?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Tech News and Gossip thread...