lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Tech News and Gossip thread...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #761
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Here's a couple of interesting vids.

First is the famous chrome speed test vids, released by Google to showcase the speed of chrome

View page
YouTube Video

Recently, Opera did a parody of this. Some think its funny, others lame - probably a combination of both. I like the 80s Adidas Tennis Jacket one of those opera dudes are wearing

View page
YouTube Video

In other news, Brightside got their hands on an AMD Magny Cours 24-core setup with 128GB DDR3. They're running it through tests on W7 and Server 2008 and will report the results soon.

$9K of kit I wonder if it can fold??

Finally, not a usual bit of tech news, but very cool nonetheless - have a look at the precise flight of the quadrocopter. I wonder if that type of precision can be replicated in a full scale version

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-28-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #762
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Sooo...

iPad launched today in the UK...

429 motherf***ing pounds for a 16Gb WiFi only tablet PC that won't run Flash and cannot multitask yet, what the uber f***???

I really hope the UK shows itself more intelligent than the yanks, don't get me wrong I have an iPhone and I love it but the iPad is just retarded!

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #763
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I'm with negsun on the ipad. They cost $1000 AUD here - way too much for what it does. I personally do not know anyone who has one, or plans to get one.

There are alot of ipad comparison charts around. This is my favorite one.

Show spoiler

There are a lot of android+tegra2 tablets just around the corner, as well as chrome OS ans Win7 devices - and then there's the tantalising prospect of the HP device with Web OS. So the best advice anyone can give on a tablet purchase.... wait!

Here you go negsun, this might cheer you up
View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-28-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #764
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

COmputex is on and the international tabletgasm is building momentum... two of the most interesting entries are by Asus....

The EEE Pad, which will come 12 and 10 inch versions, running Win or Win CE7 respectively. The most interesting thing here is that Asus are pushing they will have 10 hours of battery life.... If Asus can deliver a full W7 tablet with 10 hours battery life, theyre going to sell a bucketload of these.....

Also presented is the EEE Notepad, boasting 2450dpi no less.. which will provide very realistic handwriting and sketching support.

Asus and MSI also annouced their android tablets, which will feature tegra 2.

I'm sure this isn't the last tablet news we'll be getting...........Tablets ahoy!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #765
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Toshiba have been showing off some flexible LCD - the screen containing a sensor that responds to being bent to adjust zoom. Pretty snazzy - would be great for a a flexible reader, but surely color e-ink or amoled or pixelQI would be more energy efficient ??

View page
YouTube Video

edit: speaking of PixelQI - have a look at this video comparing visibility of an ipad LCD vs a pixelQI screen. Apple has managed to dupe the world that LCD is a great idea for a tablet device that you can cart around - but as well know LCD isn't the best for larger rooms with less even lighting or outdoors.

This vid shows the difference between these grade of screens - its good to know the developers of this tech are working closely with manufacturers to ensure its competitive and as fully featured as possible on launch, rather than push it out early for the heck of it. source

Look closely... The ipad is actually on! Compare to the lappie with the PixelQI screen.
View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-03-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #766
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Here's some very interesting news from AMD/ASUS > Theyve just been showing off the X58 "Immensity" mainboards, which packs a 5770 as an integrated GPU. It also includes the Hydra chip which will allow you to utilise the included 2 pci-e x16 slots to make get a tri-Xfire setup going.

They'll be shipping next year apparently, but no word on price yet. I'd love to see if team green can pop a 460+ on a mainboard... and make temps manageable

Finally, Android fans have been rejoicing Ewok village style with the announcement that a PlayStation1 emulator is now in the works from star emu coders, including ZodTTD who did the PSX emu for iPhone. Can't wait! Final Fantasy IX on the HTC desire's AMOLED screen is going to be delicious The 1GHz snapdragon processor should ensure that the performance is nice and smooth from the get-go...unlike the iphone versions.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-05-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #767
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
That is a sharp looking screen. I would definitely like to have a laptop or smartphone that had an easy to view screen in sunlight.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #768
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
That is a sharp looking screen. I would definitely like to have a laptop or smartphone that had an easy to view screen in sunlight.
At this stage, PixelQI screens are planned for netbooks, readers and the notion ink adam android tablet which can do the greyscale/colour switch.

No firm release date on any of them

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #769
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Iphone 4 launches

I want one, now, simple as that!!!

I'm no Apple fanboy, in fact I think the iPad is retarded and Macs far too overpriced, but man I'm such an iPhone fanboy it's unreal!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #770
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
Iphone 4 launches

I want one, now, simple as that!!!, but man I'm such an iPhone fanboy it's unreal!
cmon negsun, you obviously havent held the HTC Desire in your hands.

I loved Steve Jobs WWDC Keynote today --- looks like Apple is keeping to their target demographics>>

Gramps

Octomoms

Negsun and chainz

Interesting keynote though - funny how they've jumped in with MS, using bing as their search engine... a clear FU message to Google/Android

I do like the slimness and higher rez of the screen All in all good for competition I guess(and a few disco pants jokes )

EDIT: The gaming and graphically minded may want to check out the new DirectX June 2010 Redist. Released today!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #771
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Finally some facts and figures - contrary to popular belief ie. console fanboyz, gramps or octomomz who are too frightened of DIY PCing - the PC is not dead, nor on its way to being dead.

There is a great article over at brightside looking at some new figures showing 20% growth of the PC market.

PC is Dead? Think Twice...20% Growth in 2010

In the near future, as bluray is integrated into PC gaming, this can only take off further.

For those of thus that follow the pc market this isn't a huge surprise, a market that is about to die does not keep cranking out high end kit.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #772
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Rumors of our death (PC Gamers) have been greatly exaggerated.

Though to be fair, these are just estimates. I will be interested to see what they have to say dec 2010 about it.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #773
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill View Post
I will be interested to see what they have to say dec 2010 about it.
If you're a financial type Billy, JUNE is December

EVGA have just announced their GTX 480 Superclocked edition 529USD - it aint cheap No benchies yet to see how hot it sizzles at the higher clocks.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #774
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Here is a great article Anandtech did on the new 360

It's actually quite comparable in size to a PS3 slim, the only part of the PS3 that is actually slimmer is the front part which tapers downwards. There's some more pics comparing the new 360 to PS3 old/slim, and wii here at engadget

*smaller
*65nm process
*cooler
*quieter
*less power draw
*internal slot for HDD, internal 802.11n
*glossy black

I'll be getting one the day theyre released here, since RDR, Alan Wake and FFXIII are no go on the almighty PC.

Finally, a pic of one laying on its side!

Also, for you driverjunkies:

*nvidia 257.21 WHQL went official on June 15 2010
*nvidia 258.49 WHQL went leakily official on G3D on June 18 2010

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-18-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #775
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
^^^^
yeah, the new 360 actually looks pretty good. heard they did something slick with the cooling system, too; although i wouldn't be surprised if that was an exaggeration.

at any rate, the big news from MS was really the $50 price drop on their existing hardware. that currently makes the 360 the best console value on the market (assuming that you aren't a Sony fanboi). as for the other E3 news, the only things that really caught my eye was SW: TOR, Crysis 2, and Dead Rising 2. Kinect and Move are too much like the underwhelming Wii to really catch my attention.

and, for the record, its good to be back.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #776
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
SW: TOR
The fact that it is going to be fully voiced is great news indeed - definitely something lacking in STO. But I'll need to try the actual game before making a call on it.

Quote:
and, for the record, its good to be back.
welcome back! But I must admit, I didn't know you had gone anywhere stinger Hopefully it was a nice holiday to somewhere sunny!

EVGA GTX 465 Superclocked review at G3D

I'm an nvidia/EVGA fanboi, but even I'd recommend the 5850 as a better value option Of course, if you prefer nvidia, like to fold and like lifetime warranties, it isnt a bad card by any means Best wait til the price drops or you can chalk up some rebate/discounts on it.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-21-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #777
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

US Phone fans/Verizon users.... before you go out and splurge on an iPhone4, have a think about the amazing new Droid X by Motorola. (nb. if you're curious: Yes, Motorola pay Lucasfilm a licensing fee to be able to use the word 'Droid')

Huge screen, 1Ghz android 2.1 -soon to be upgraded automatically to the full flash supporting 2.2

That screen and the 1Ghz under the hood will make it a great candidate for running the upcoming PS1 emu for android, as well the existing NES/SNES/Genesis emulators that run a treat. Inbuilt google maps/navigation support..and NO ITUNES SLAVERY! Getting music into your android device = drag n drop files into a folder

check one out in person more info here I love the 720p HDMI/DLNA to TV support

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-24-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #778
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
blah blah android blah blah blah

blah blah
mtfbwya
In unrelated news, the guy who took that photo has huge hands.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #779
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
blah blah blah dude haz huge handz he he hee.
lolz...these phones always look bigger in hand photos At engadget, the first preview of the DroidX was done by a lady reporter, who has smallish hands... In all the hand photos she posted folks were freaking out at how large the phone was.

Thats why I prefer to see pics of phones next to other phones, on their own In this instance we got treated to phones side by side in a largish hand

Anyway, iPhone4 prospective buyers may want to read about the issues being reported where holding the phone in a particular way cuts out your reception.

more info HERE

Update: Hilarious Video.

Sucks if you like to hold the IP4 in your left hand.
View page
YouTube Video

Digging around on YT you can see that this plagued the 3G as well. WTF Anyway, a common remedy is getting a protector case for the phone - but if you don't want to do that and like to hold the phone in your L. hand, you may want to give the IP4 a miss.....

The retina display tech has also been reported as problematic by some.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 06-25-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #780
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Some Browser News:

Firefox 3.6.6 is now out. It was quickly patched up from 3.6.4 which was officially released just a couple of days ago, mainly to fix a flash related issue.

Chrome, now the worlds #3 Browser, overtaking Safari - has gone to version 6 stable, and has flash built in.

It now has its own in built extensions gallery, including adblock. I really like the interface, but preferring FF only extensions like integrated gmail, so use FF with the chromifox extension to make FF look and behave like Chromium.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #781
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hehe... here's some EPIC "kick you in the nuts" action from Motorola to Apple.

Given the outlined issues with the iPhone4 antenna, Motorola took out a full page in the NYTimes with this ad for their lovely Droid X. It must be noted that this high end android device has two antennas, meaning you will never get the gripes poor iP4 people get.

Apple fanboys across the world have gotten upset at Moto, calling it a low blow. I don't see the big deal. They're just using an ad to outline some appealing design characteristics of their new device. Good to know for those of you in the US - who are currently the only ones that can get the Droid X.

Perhaps this IS the droid you are looking for?

THIS is Apples solution to the problem...a $29USD Piece of Plastic, which they recently instructed Apple Care reps to NOT give out for free to people ringing in with complaints of the antenna woes.

In other parody news, I like this pic of Jobs that is doing the rounds. Someone who orders their customers how to hold their phone rather than admitting a design flaw is obviously surrounded by too many yes men [/IMO]

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #782
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolzOMG.... Remember AMD, Kings of 'Cool n Quiet' and Green Computing in those magical days of the 2002-6....

Well that AMD is dead, and theyve proven it, check out ASUS latest Planet Raper behemoth card, the ARES, sporting dual 5870, a buttload of copper and a suicidial set of 4GBGDDR5 hotplates[/hyperbole]

A 3 slot monstrosity, limited edition that costs $1200USD, and according to benchies still cant crack th CryTek engine at 1600p

Speaking of redundant overkill, expreview posted some benchies of a ludicrous GTX 480 QUAD-SLI setup on one of the snazzy EVGA x58 mainboards... In some instances, including the crytek engine, the 4th GTX 480 made an inefficient/expensive contribution of an extra 4-5 frames/sec

edit: it seems expreview have since pulled that article! I wonder why?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #783
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Team Kermit have just released the GTX 460, and the general consensus is that it is a winner for the midrange segment.

engadget has done a review roundup... which you can get to from HERE

"The $200 king" according to anandtech

I'll refrain from posting Crysis benchies, but here's CODModern Warfare 2 at 1920x1200.. It outperformes the GTX 280, and the 5770. It isnt too far behind the 5850, which is significantly costlier... Heat levels arent too bad either, definitely cooler than the 480 Good news for the midrange market

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-12-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #784
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
OK, folks, this is the Nvidia card to get. Performance better than a GTX 285 for ~$200! I totally wasn't expecting NV to redesign their architecture like that. The 1GB model is probably worth the extra 30 bucks, since it sports the full 256-bit memory bus. Looks to be pretty overclockable, too. This card just can't be beat ATM. Let the price wars begin!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 07-12-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #785
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

edit: HOLY CRAP!! Sorry Char! I've just butchered your post thinking I was editing a quote Im currently on a 15" 1024x768 screen at work, cant see sh*t

sorry man Damn my 30" screen at home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment of Char's original post
....And a continuing big thumbs down for NVIDIA's product naming practices.

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-13-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #786
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char
....And a continuing big thumbs down for NVIDIA's product naming practices.
I think JHH's Posse have gone way too far on this one .... there are TWELVE versions of the 460

A general rule with nvidia, buy the version with the X in the name.. X= fast apparently....like XFX GTX460 XXX EXXXTREME OC EDITION

Speaking of deleted posts... Apple are getting into dangerous territory. Consumer Reports have just published their review of the iPhone4, and like many others, stated the antenna issue as significant flaw in the device - and hence recommending people to stay away from it.

Even engadget, who gave the iPhone4 a ridiculous 9/10 in their initial review have stopped making excuses for Apple and gone on the attack, especially when they started receiving reports that any mention of the Consumer Reports recommendation was being deleted from Apples forums.

Apple definitely aren't kicking any goals in the PR dept recently

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-13-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #787
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

I like the Droid X phone because that's by far the coolest name ever...

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #788
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
I like the Droid X phone because that's by far the coolest name ever...
Indeed. They have to pay Lucasfilm licensing for the ability to use that name. It's always in the fine print in the ads. Mind you, in Europe, the phone usually changes its name when released locally. The original droid is called the Milestone over in your neck of the woods NegSun. If you're ever interested in tracking down cheap sim unlocked android phones in the UK, I highly recommend Clove. Getting a phone from a provider(voda, orange etc) allows you to go on a plan of course, but comes with an OS ROM that is usually full of propietary junk apps you cant remove

In other news, the Windows 7 SP1 Public Beta is now official. If you're super keen, you can download it from MS HERE

Also, a hearty thank you to those of you involved in getting me that Notable Contributor Badge for this techforum stuff. I understand it was a long and drawn out process, matched only by your stunning perserverance! Cheers!!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-13-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #789
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Those of you interested in the financial performance of AMD:

AMD makes $1.65billion, net loss of $43million

I'm no financial guru, but if a company is still bringing in billions, Id say that is a good thing, despite the loss figures. They'll just need to tweak things a bit obviously.

Also, the Apple iPhone 4 Fiasco continues. Here's the quick and dirty:
*Consumer Reports canned the device/Apple Deletes Mentions of it on their forums
*US Senator weighs in/goes media whoring
*Apple Engineer/Patent holder had warned them of the antenna issue and was ignored
*Apple stock takes a kick in the nuts to the tune of $25.6 Billion
*Apple calling an emergency press conference scheduled for later today(Friday 16th)

Everyone is eager to find out if Apple will own up or try spin some more crap like "the software that displays barz iz wrong"

longstoryshort: Fanboy or no, best don't get an iPhone4 until this is confirmed fixed. If you are in the US, you should seriously look into the DroidX which was also released today. It has 2 antennas In other PR nightmares for Apple, Whoopi Goldberg admitted to a viewing audience of tens of millions (of mainly ladies) around the world that she hated her iP4 so much she smashed it to pieces in her car door lolz....Don't mess with Guinan!

I made this picture for the occasion

EDIT: You can catch the Apple Press Conference here The skinny is that Jobs compared the iphone4 to an old blackberry and android phone from 2008-9 and said they have the same problem. They then stated that everyone can have free bumper cases.

Does that fill you with confidence now Apple fans?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #790
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolz... someone needs to call the EPA and The Fire Dept....

ASUS seem to be working on the Mars II - a DUAL GTX480 One can only guess at its power consumption and heat production. Thought it would likely fold a massive 30,000PPD

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #791
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:

longstoryshort: Fanboy or no, best don't get an iPhone4 until this is confirmed fixed. If you are in the US, you should seriously look into the DroidX which was also released today. It has 2 antennas

mtfbwya
Only problem is I don't buy Motorola phones anymore. I've owned two of them in the past and did not care for them at all. I'm thinking of going with the HTC Incredible.

RE: dual GTX 480, that is just too much card for me. From what I've read the GTX 460 gets a little over 9K PPD running folding@home. Considering how my GTS 250 usually gets around 5K PPD with only 128 SP's I'm kind of surprised the GTX 460 doesn't get more PPD with its 336 SP's.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #792
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Only problem is I don't buy Motorola phones anymore. I've owned two of them in the past and did not care for them at all. I'm thinking of going with the HTC Incredible.
The incredible is a great phone too. US users are also about to finally get the HTC Desire as well, which is what I have, and can thoroughly recommend

The incredible/desire have the sense interface, which is a big plus IMO. Motorola runs the stock android interface. There's plenty of vids on YT if you want to see what sense is all about

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #793
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
US users are also about to finally get the HTC Desire as well, which is what I have, and can thoroughly recommend
lolz that's the one my other half is getting soon

Good to see it's got Astro's seal of approval

Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #794
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
lolz that's the one my other half is getting soon

Good to see it's got Astro's seal of approval
once you see hers NegSun, you will want one too... these are some must apps to download from the android market:

*snesoid/gensoid/gameboid >> the ultimate emulators for SNES/Genesis/GBA
*Jewellust - better than bejeweled
*BeyondPod - the ultimate podcast manager

There are free trials of each of those. There are of course free alternatives podcast managers too(like Google Listen), but beyond pod is slick, and supports video podcasts as well.

There are plenty of other great apps, you can browse the android market on the device, or go on sites like androlib to browse online, use a barcode scanner to scan the barcodes supplied and get it on your phone.

Appbrain now also enables sending/syncing of apps from browser to phone(which will be enabled by default in Android 2.2 which the Desire will likely get updated to in Sept/Oct)

Let us know if you need any more android pointers

I also recommend installing an extra media player or two. I use one for podcasts, one for music, and another for audiobooks so I can jump in and out of each one independently off widgets on the homescreen

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #795
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

zOMG!!!! The epically awesome NMANews from China have put their characteristic CG News Reconstruction Parody spin on the Apple iPhone 4 debacle....and it has a Star Wars flavour. It's in Chinese, but the visuals say it all I love how they included Jobs' 'Reality Distortion Field'

View page
YouTube Video

For those that have a compulsive need to know what is being said, someone has added english subs here

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #796
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

A few bits n pieces

*ATI and nvidia will be moving to 28nm process, products by end of 2011, including the ATI 6000 series, and hopefully some cooler running Fermi derivatives >>source

*Samsung weighs in on the iPhone 4 signal issue.. LMAO

*The Amiga turns 25 ! My first pc was a C64, but I really loved my Amiga 600. I wonder where computers will be in 25 years time.... and if anything can run Crysis at 1600p

Happy BDay Amiga!
View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-24-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #797
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
*ATI and nvidia will be moving to 28nm process, products by end of 2011, including the ATI 6000 series, and hopefully some cooler running Fermi derivatives >>source

mtfbwya
I'm disappointed that it's apparently going to take two years to transition from 40 nm to 28 nm though maybe my expectations were set too high. I was expecting 28 nm graphics products to ramp up in mid-2011.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #798
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
I'm disappointed that it's apparently going to take two years to transition from 40 nm to 28 nm though maybe my expectations were set too high. I was expecting 28 nm graphics products to ramp up in mid-2011.
I think TMSC and GF are covering their backs with that time frame, considering the silicon yield gripes they experienced last year in particular.

In other super news...

PSX4droid has finally hit the android market = Final Fantasy VII-IX on your android! Also includes includes wiimote and bluetooth gamepad controller support. Some of the games that are predominately 2D will likely work on the slower processors.

Ive been playing the original Psx final fantasy tactics, which works great.

Its version 1.0, so not perfect, but FF7 works pretty well from what Ive seen. I'll be trying FF8/9 myself later tonight.

It of course goes without saying that you need a higher end android device to pull it off. Android Version 2.0+ is a prerequisite - such as The various Motorola Droids, HTC Incredible, Google Nexus One, HTC Desire, HTC EVO 4G etc anything packing a 1Ghz snapdragon processor under the hood.

I did try the rare and elusive SW game - Masters of Teras Kasi on it - which is somewhat choppy/slow

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-26-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #799
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

I've never played FF7 but have wanted to for a number of years now. Just another bit of motivation for me to pick up an HTC Incredible I guess.

From TechReport.com: Intel announces silicon photonics breakthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechReport.com
The future of I/O connectivity is bright—literally. Intel has developed what it says is the "world's first silicon-based optical data connection with integrated lasers using Hybrid Silicon Laser technology." Using an integrated transmitter chip, an integrated receiver, and beams of light going through a fiber-optic cable, the prototype can transfer data at a whopping 50Gbps. More exciting still, Intel expects to be able to manufacture the components cheaply enough to make them a staple of both consumer and server I/O by the middle of the decade.
So is this the beginning of the end for SATA, USB, and Firewire? With Intel's LightPeak technology reportedly on the way, offering 10 Gbps connectivity, it appears that Intel is getting ready to alter the computer I/O landscape with even further advancements.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #800
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Its about time desktop tech moved in the optical transmission direction

In other news, AMD is poised to (finally) unleash Fusion in late 2010. Will it change computing as we know it, or just basic desktop and the HTPC markets?

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Tech News and Gossip thread...