lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Day of the tentacle saving
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Scottymac
Lurker

Thumbs up Day of the tentacle saving

i recently installed day of the tentacle(cd rom) on my windows xp computer and it works fine but i get this message "ems detects less than two megabytes" or something to that effect before the lucas arts logo comes up and also i ant save the game saying disk is full. im told ems is expanded memory which i dont have 2 megabytes of how can i get more without installing the scumm programme because i dont have the internet which i want to play DOTT on. please help you wonderful people
Scottymac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Gabez

I'm stumped - I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to get Scumm VM over to your non Internet computer somehow (put it on a CD, USB pen, iPod, etc.) Sorry that's not so very helpful to your actual question, but it sounds like your problem is to do with compatibility rather than anything really to do with memory.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
In short: Microsoft hates old things. Every time they release a new Windows it tries the best it can to screw up as many old games as it can. I'll be getting Vista next week and I'm terrified what it's going to do to my games collection.

The reason ScummVM exists is because LucasArts adventures older than Full Throttle really struggle with the new platform. ScummVM is an absolutely superb program that's easy to use and setup and ALL your woes will vanish.

If you can't get it to your computer via the Internet (it's a really small download, you could probably use WinZip and put it on two or three floppy disks if necessary!), then it is usually available on magazine coverdiscs.

The latest issue of PCZone has it on their DVD under 'Essential Software', and I bet PCGamer probably does too. Trust us, it will solve all your problems.

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
s-island
Music man

The International House of Mojo Staff 
About the errors themselves:
The EMS error you get has to do with the fact that XP doesn't have an expanded memory manager. Expanded memory was a way for DOS programs to address the memory and it's not available in Windows newer than Windows 98 SE.

Getting the error "disk full" when you try to save has most likely to do with the fact that HDs are much larger now and when the game tries to compute how much free space is available, it can't and gives that error.

There's no other easy way around this than to run the game with ScummVM as suggested by Gabez and The Tingler.
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
okay, honestly, I had this "problem" on my old windows 95 computer...I was able to bypass it by pressing SPACE (or any other key I think)...and the game worked fine...did you try that?

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
lilydragon
Lurker

Download for Vista

Hey-
I just got got a new laptop with Vista, and am wondering if anyone knew what I could do to get the game installed. I have an old cd that a friend gave to me that I used till my old pc broke. But since its mainly DOS, I'm not sure what to do.

Help? Please?
lilydragon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
neon_git

Hey there, what you want to do first up is download and install ScummVM (click here) then have a look at what files from the CD ScummVM needs (click here) and copy them onto your hard drive. Run ScummVM and you should be able to install the game from there.

Have fun.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
neon_git is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Help! > Day of the tentacle saving