lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What's the most obscure game you've ever played?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #41
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
Dark Star One - think of this game as "X3: The Reunion" Lite. it's a space sim that lets you play the part of a merchant, mercenary, pirate, or a heavily wanted outlaw. the storyline is pretty good, and the flight mechanics are simple but refined enough to make it fun. when it comes to dogfights in space, there are few games that do it better. my only complaint is that every system in this game feels very generic. still, for an unknown game coming over from an unknown publisher/developer, its a good game with a nice amount of depth to it.
I could never get X3 to run on my CPU that well, but as for everything else you said, I agree. I really enjoyed Dark Star One. It had a unique upgrade system that I really liked. It's a shame there are not that many Space Flight Sims any more... Dark Star One was the first chance I had since Tachyon: The Fringe to pull out my joystick. As a flight sim, it was pretty generic, but with no competition, it was just great to have a new flight sim to play!

As for other obscure games I've played, the only one that comes to mind is Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

What? Obscure? Surely, you're joking, Bob!

Well, sort of, but sort of not. I played Redemption shortly before Bloodlines came out. I enjoyed Redemption, so I picked up Bloodlines on its release day. Apparently, I was one of the few people that did and the game sold so poorly initially, Troika closed down...

The game's popularity spread through word of mouth, and somewhat slowly at that. A lot of people here have played it due to stoffe talking about the game, but that was fairly recently. So, while it's fairly well known now, it's still not as well known as a lot of other games. Still, when I played it, I think it did fall under the category of "obscure games." heh

Bob Lion54 is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #42
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54
It's a shame there are not that many Space Flight Sims any more...
Agreed! I've always had a soft-spot for these games ever since playing the vector-graphic Star Wars in the arcades. I think I mentioned them before Bob, but Freespace: Descent and Freespace 2 are excellent representatives of this genre.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
Miles Edgeworth
Rookie

Golf, for the N.E.S.

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" -John Locke
"No terminal can match my l33t hax0r skillz!" -Scorch
Miles Edgeworth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #44
Samuel Dravis

I have a couple that might qualify:

Qix, Game Boy (1990). Game was next to impossible at later stages, but fun.
Loom, PC (1990). Very fun adventure game by Lucasarts. Interesting magic system based on musical notes.
Destruction Derby, PC (1995). Who cares about racing when you can win by smashing everyone else to pieces?
The Dig, PC (1995). Another adventure game by Lucasarts, this one was fascinating to play through. I liked the end a lot, and exploring the, uh, "dig" was very fun. Orchestral score.
Odell Down Under, PC (1995). Cuttlefish were the best.
Outlaws, PC (1997). Awesome soundtrack, and the cutscenes were fun. Like Dark Forces, except it's a Western.
Space Interceptor: Project Freedom, PC (2004). A flight sim that's actually very fun! The controls are a bit iffy, however - you can't actually flip over on the y axis, and targeting is a bit confusing - but great value if you want to play a nice looking space game. Definitely made me want a new Freespace game when I was playing it. Includes ground-attack missions, something I really wanted to do in Freespace.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #45
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Space Interceptor: Project Freedom, PC (2004). A flight sim that's actually very fun! The controls are a bit iffy, however - you can't actually flip over on the y axis, and targeting is a bit confusing - but great value if you want to play a nice looking space game. Definitely made me want a new Freespace game when I was playing it. Includes ground-attack missions, something I really wanted to do in Freespace.
My next space-flight sim fix is going to be the Freespace 2 Battlestar Galactiga mod. It looks like it'll be really cool.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #46
Dragoon ZER0
Rookie

Current Game: Baldur's Gate
Record of Lodoss War for the Sega Dreamcast. Not a bad Diablo-esque game, but probably not worth your time if you're not a fan of Lodoss.

I remember playing Raiders of The Lost Ark at a friend's house way back when. I was only 5 or 6 at the time though and I don't think I got very far
Dragoon ZER0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #47
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I have a couple that might qualify:

Qix, Game Boy (1990). Game was next to impossible at later stages, but fun.
Loom, PC (1990). Very fun adventure game by Lucasarts. Interesting magic system based on musical notes.
The Dig, PC (1995). Another adventure game by Lucasarts, this one was fascinating to play through. I liked the end a lot, and exploring the, uh, "dig" was very fun. Orchestral score.
Outlaws, PC (1997). Awesome soundtrack, and the cutscenes were fun. Like Dark Forces, except it's a Western.
Played them!
and a few more:
Jinxter: Still one othe funniest ever.
Legend of Faerghail: This was my first rpg on a computer.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #48
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon ZER0
Record of Lodoss War for the Sega Dreamcast. Not a bad Diablo-esque game, but probably not worth your time if you're not a fan of Lodoss.
Never knew there was a game for that on the DC!
Well, i now have an excuse to play on my beloved Dreamcast again!

I have had Burning Rubber on the AMIGA OCS, pretty fun IMO.
Oh and on the PSX, Dracula II: The Last Sanctuary is quit a fun and addictive adventure game, i'd recommend it.

Another great game i remember from my youth is Zoombinis, very fun and very addictive.

Last edited by Gargoyle King; 11-24-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 AM   #49
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
Another great game i remember from my youth is Zoombinis, very fun and very addictive.
Yeah, I played a LOT of Learning Company titles when I was younger, such as "Reading Blaster 2000."

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > What's the most obscure game you've ever played?