lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: God, man, and the nature of sin
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #41
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Of course you didn't. But let's face it, you would have. Adam and Eve were the only sinless humans, the most pure humans to ever live, except Jesus, and they couldn't resist the lure of the Apple. Besides, you've sinned in your lifetime, so it doesn't really matter.

And removing sin from existence is denying free will, or at least placing limits on it. "You're free to do whatever you please, as long as it doesn't displease me." That's essentially what you believe God should have done. That's not Freedom. God doesn't want our slavish devotion like cattle. God isn't looking to become the Lord of slaves. He wants our devotion by choice, not by being denied any options.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #42
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I think one explanation for this is that Jesus was divine, and is part of God if identical to God. From that viewpoint, you could argue that Jesus' death was a simulation of death (like in a video game ) but his true nature did not die. Thus no one was harmed and no immorality occurred.
i consider putting someone through massive pain as 'doing harm' to that person. He died in our world, this reality, in pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Of course you didn't. But let's face it, you would have.
I would have what?
Quote:
Adam and Eve were the only sinless humans, the most pure humans to ever live, except Jesus, and they couldn't resist the lure of the Apple.
Gee it's food. Why didn't god put that apple somewhere else if he's so fancy with it?

Quote:
Besides, you've sinned in your lifetime, so it doesn't really matter.
Yeah, what does it matter? *I* didn't eat that apple.

Quote:
And removing sin from existence is denying free will
How is it? I fail to see that.

Quote:
"You're free to do whatever you please, as long as it doesn't displease me." That's essentially what you believe God should have done.
Nope. I said "take sin out of the equation".

Quote:
That's not Freedom. God doesn't want our slavish devotion like cattle. God isn't looking to become the Lord of slaves. He wants our devotion by choice, not by being denied any options.
"Oh, of course, you can cross that line any time! .. But then you'll get shot." That's not freedom, either.



Last edited by Ray Jones; 10-21-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #43
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
You would have eaten the apple. Stop trying to aggravate me. And they had all the food they wanted in the Garden. It's not like God was starving them and dangling a carrot in front of them.

Taking sin out of the equation is removing what displeases God. Sin displeases God. Would you please at least stop making this more difficult? You're deliberately misunderstanding, I think.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #44
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
You would have eaten the apple.
Nope. I'd have gone for the fish.
Quote:
And they had all the food they wanted in the Garden. It's not like God was starving them and dangling a carrot in front of them.
Yeah, why the fuss about a small apple then?

Quote:
Taking sin out of the equation is removing what displeases God. Sin displeases God. Would you please at least stop making this more difficult? You're deliberately misunderstanding, I think.
Yes, so why doesn't he just make sin go away, if it displeases him? It's a simple question, not making it difficult, nor deliberate misunderstanding.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #45
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Nope. I'd have gone for the fish.
And you seriously tell me you're not trying to annoy me?

Quote:
Yeah, why the fuss about a small apple then?
Apple of the tree of knowledge. If you know this little about the subject matter, why are you even participating in the debate?

Quote:
Yes, so why doesn't he just make sin go away, if it displeases him? It's a simple question, not making it difficult, nor deliberate misunderstanding.
I've already explained this. Because our forebears made a decision a long time ago that they wanted sin. How do you remove sin from existence, anyway? Make it impossible? I'm getting tired of this.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #46
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
And you seriously tell me you're not trying to annoy me?
Sure.

Quote:
Apple of the tree of knowledge. If you know this little about the subject matter, why are you even participating in the debate?
So you can answer my questions so I can improve my knowledge. The question stands: why this way?

Quote:
I've already explained this. Because our forebears made a decision a long time ago that they wanted sin.
Again, 'they', not you, not me.

Quote:
How do you remove sin from existence, anyway? Make it impossible?
What do I know? But do you doubt but one second god would find a way to remove sin from existence?


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #47
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Yeah, I do doubt God would. He COULD, sure, but the only way that I can logically see to totally reform the hearts of humanity so that we never sinned again was to make it impossible by some means, basically disabling our brains and making us a step down from an Asimov Robot.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #48
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Yeah, I do doubt God would. He COULD, sure
And why doesn't he?

Quote:
but the only way that I can logically see to totally reform the hearts of humanity so that we never sinned again was to make it impossible by some means, basically disabling our brains and making us a step down from an Asimov Robot.
Yeah, that's what you can logically imagine. But god is above that, correct? So it's not relevant what you can logically see and comprehend.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #49
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
I'm getting tired of this. I've probably told you more in this one thread over the past ten post than you've known of Christianity in the past, and I'm hardly a theologian. I'll answer this one last time, then I'm going to roll my eyes and do something more fun, like get teeth pulled.

Yes, God can do things I can't even imagine. What's your point? Even if he did do this, humanity still would need to pay for it's crimes. Now, the payment for this has already been paid by Christ, but there would still be the need for repenting. If sin was destroyed, we would never recognize our need for Christ, thus damning us all.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #50
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Yes, God can do things I can't even imagine. What's your point?
It not our part to think of a method to get rid of sin. It's god's. Even more if he so much dislikes it.

Quote:
Even if he did do this, humanity still would need to pay for it's crimes.
Really? Do you pay for the crimes of let's say, a raper and murderer?

Quote:
Now, the payment for this has already been paid by Christ, but there would still be the need for repenting.
Ah-ha. Why?

Quote:
If sin was destroyed, we would never recognize our need for Christ, thus damning us all.
Cannot see any logic here. Does that mean Christ is the reason for sin to exist, so we can see our need for him so we won't be damned? Why must we see Christ? Isn't this about god?


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #51
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
That is certainly one good way to escape the God<=>good dilemma and the dualistic nature of good/evil. Instead of a dualism, actions are just various degrees of good. I'm glad you brought that up. I remember the analogy of the goodness of God overflows out from the Him like the water from the fountain and the farther you move from the source, the thirstier you become.

Another way to escape the dilemma is to say that good/evil are two sides of the same coin. Heads=bearded guy in the clouds, Tails=devil with pitchfork. The coin itself is the complete and impersonal Godhead.
Right, that would work too. That would be hard to fit into a Christian worldview, as usually God is not seen remotely like that, but it's definitely possible. I honestly don't know too much about Eastern philosophies or religions, so I don't think I can intelligibly talk on the subject. Perhaps you could explain in a general way how this view works in relation to responsibilities (how to live your life, etc)?

Quote:
Indeed, even if God created each of us to be perfect within ourselves, the world is greater than ourselves. Our interactions with the world and others are outside of our spheres of perfection and thus cannot occur perfectly. "There are no perfect men in this world, only perfect intentions" to quote the Robin Hood movie (). Since God set us into a world of imperfect interactions, sin is inevitable.
Right, that probably would be an accurate representation of it. Still, if we accepted the idea of Aquinas about intentions being the determiner of sin, then while evil may occur, sin is an option, not an inevitability.

Quote:
Of course if evil has no in-and-of-itself existence, then the fear of hellfire can't be used as a driving force for being obedient to God.
I agree... but wanting something can be quite the powerful force as well.

Quote:
Likewise, if evil and good are part of the same thing, then the fear of hell vanishes as does the reward of heaven. Instead the best you hope for is dissolution of the finite and return to the infinite.
Your vile pagan ways are REPREHENSIBLE TK!


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #52
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Hello guys, missed me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Apple of the tree of knowledge. If you know this little about the subject matter, why are you even participating in the debate?
That raises two questions: How is it logical for God, who did not want Humans to be knowledgeable to put a tree of knowledge on Earth, that too right by Adam and Eve? Don't tell me trusted humanity's damnation over a naked couple in a garden who can talk with serpents.
Secondly, why are humans allowed the capacity of knowledge, without the right to accumulate it? That's like the government telling people you can have your own house, but living inside is illegal. And while we're on it, if knowledge was sin, Adam and Eve committed sin as soon as arrived on Earth - they gained knowledge of themselves, their surroundings, of food, hell - of the tree of knowledge, of speech and countless other things.

Also, I don't see reason in letting children suffer for their parents' sin. Remember that parents and children have completely different wills. Then there is the question of Jesus, if he paid the price of mankind's sin, sin has virtually lost meaning. Think of it like this: a man has been given the murder of all of the world's crimes. If that is so, then crime has lost meaning and anyone and everyone can go killing and raping and pillaging and sinning, because said man is the victim anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Your vile pagan ways are REPREHENSIBLE TK!
May the Moon God of Superior Beauty and Strength punish your treachery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
If sin was destroyed, we would never recognize our need for Christ, thus damning us all.
Ah, so we take this to the pre-christ era, God could have removed sin and not let his son suffer, as well. BTW, I don't know this so just answer for me, will you? Christ is the son of God, so who is his mother, a.k.a God's "wife"? Not an argument, that's a simple question.

Now, I don't think you caught mine and Ray's argument correctly. We're thinking along a computer programmer's lines:
Quote:
1. God created everything - that means everything.
2. Satan rebelled against God - that is, God encountered a bug.
3. God condemned Satan - he squashed the bug and proceeded with release.
4. Satan forms Evil, which corrupts the program and harms the data. And this is where God co. starts facing legal issues. Now, since Evil is part of the system God created, he should be able to destroy it, one way or another, since God controls all and is the supreme majesty as far as programming is concerned!
You refer to free will, but this free will has elements of sin in it, at least potentially. That means that if the very nature of sin is traced absolutely and completely traced, it leads to God. This is where tk's theory comes into the picture: Good and Evil are two sides of the same coin - God is Satan (something like Mr. Jekyll is Dr. Hyde).


Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 AM   #53
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
God doesn't need a "wife" Sabre. God is a spirit, not a man, not a woman. Have you ever heard of the Trinity, The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Right, that probably would be an accurate representation of it. Still, if we accepted the idea of Aquinas about intentions being the determiner of sin, then while evil may occur, sin is an option, not an inevitability.
I disagree that sin is an option, and not an inevitability. Certain sin is an option, yes, and we can be the determiner of certain sin, but it IS inevitable that we humans will sin. It is in the human nature to sin; and I will explain myself further on in my reply. Please answer this question, say, have you ever had anything that was yours and was extremely expensive or really close to your heart, and was stolen from you? You would probably want revenge on that person, right? That could be considered a sin.

It was Eve's choice to eat the apple, she was given orders to eat anything in the garden she wanted to, EXEPT the apple of the tree of knowledge. She was manipulated by Satan, yes, but she still made the choice to eat the apple. Because of that choice, Adam and Eve were exiled from the garden of Eden. As I said before, certain sin is an option, BUT because of Adam's and Eve's choice to eat of the tree of knowledge, which was indeed a sin, it is in our nature, (you, I , and the human race) to sin because of Adam's and Eve's decision at the Garden of Eden.

Rev7 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 AM   #54
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
It was Eve's choice to eat the apple, she was given orders to eat anything in the garden she wanted to, EXEPT the apple of the tree of knowledge. She was manipulated by Satan, yes, but she still made the choice to eat the apple. Because of that choice, Adam and Eve were exiled from the garden of Eden. As I said before, certain sin is an option, BUT because of Adam's and Eve's choice to eat of the tree of knowledge, which was indeed a sin, it is in our nature, (you, I , and the human race) to sin because of Adam's and Eve's decision at the Garden of Eden.
But that isn't fair. Especially if you consider that there are many, thousands, if not millions who would not have sinned in Eve's place and did not commit sins. The theory you're suggesting is that God is perfect, but humanity is a race of sinners, who can choose to repent. What is worse, is that this is one of the theories you can't run away from, and you can only choose not to believe in it.

And more questions arise, which God never answers directly to us, because we lack the mental capacity - Where is God? We know he isn't in the sky, because satellites have the place surrounded. Why is knowledge a sin and doesn't it make Adam and Eve sinners from the very moment they were alive? Why is knowledge of God and His ways not a sin? And lastly, why must we be treated as stupid ants that are suffering every minute just because Adam and Eve sinned? God can very well absolve us of the original sin. Not stopping this mad slaughter and sin that goes on is a form of sadism itself. Why is God so indifferent, so sadistic to us? Why doesn't he use his omnipotent, ultrapowerful will to actually help us rather than make us and let us go to hell (that's just a phrase, not to be taken literally) while watching us kill each other?


Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #55
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Right, that would work too. That would be hard to fit into a Christian worldview, as usually God is not seen remotely like that, but it's definitely possible.
These concepts aren't completely unique to Eastern philosophies but indeed you are right -- they do not fit well with traditional Christian teachings. Meister Eckhart of Germany was charged with heresy in 1326 for proclaiming this exactly this type of Christian mysticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Perhaps you could explain in a general way how this view works in relation to responsibilities (how to live your life, etc)?
The biggest thing this view provides for me is perspective. Whether in terms of human relations, quantum mechanics, or chaos theory -- the sense that all things are changing but the internal nature within everything is not. It's like when an astronaut looks down at earth and sees this sphere silently hovering beneath him. He knows all the hustle and bustle that is taking place below, but from where his, it appears almost at rest. But unlike the astronaut's view who's looking outwards at something other than himself, this view of the world includes myself.

In addition, the belief that God unifies all things helps to reinforce feelings of empathy. When I'm at work or when I'm driving, for example, and I feel angry towards someone, I can overcome those negative emotions by remembering that this person is not someone so different from me. That person and I share the same core being after all. And then suddenly being angry doesn't seem so important.

Can't help but remember a Beatles song: I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Beyond that, I've come to believe that (at least for me) the purpose of religion is not to lay down a set of dogmas to tell me how to live my life, but rather to provide an understanding of the relationships between all people. Morality then follows understanding. And of course, this includes the understanding and acceptance of our own mortality.

To wrap up, I'll just point out one of my favorite mnemonics. It is the dancing statue of Shiva Nataraja. This figure symbolizes the idea of eternal being/becoming. The drum that Shiva beats begins the dance of life and symbolizes creation, the fire in his other hand symbolizes its destruction, the raised hand with palm out says "wait, don't be afraid, nothing is really happening, be at peace".

I see they put one up in front of CERN.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #56
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Because I think that He wants to see who is loyal to Him Sabre. That is especially difficult to do nowadays because of "the world". Jesus said, "be in the world, not of it". It is our choice to believe in Him, or not believe in Him. Faith is a very important in this belief, as I have said may times, and will probably have to say may times in the future.

No one truly knows where God's kingdom is located.

I am sorry, but I have to sign off now, I will elaborate more tomorrow (hopefully) thanks

Rev7 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #57
Empress Padme
Forumite
 
Empress Padme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 5 minutes from Disneyland
Posts: 726
Even God admits to mistakes. The story in the bible ( naturally names escape me) were God basically okay'd a husband to sleep with someone else so the an would have an heir ( of course it totally backfired) and i do believe God admitted that it was a mistake that he shouldn't have encouraged it.

God gave us free will so if we mess up it's our own fault. He gave us a guide ( the bible) to show us the right path but let us choose whether we wanted that path or not.If we choose the wrong path we pay the steep price ( Hello Lucifer). He can't intervine in wars or fights since he gave us free will, to intervine would be messing with our free will. The price humans pay for free will is that not everybody will use free will for the greater good and sometimes innocent people die because of it. But isn't it better to have free will than be basically a clone. If we didn't have free will we wouldn't be debating this topic right now . If we didn't have free will there would be no Kavar's Corner cause everybody would be a clone thinking , agreeing on the same thing and that would be very, very boring.God gave us the gift , the ultimate gift of free will , naturally us humans would find a way to mess up a great gift but hey were only human.


you can find me here since I have left LF :

http://starwarsknightscouncil.com/
Empress Padme is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #58
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Poppycock. Where does it say that removing sin from existence means free will has to be removed from mankind? If god is omnipotent he must know a way to accomplish this. Since he's not doing this he's making things unnecessary complicated, it's stupid and useless. He puts his son through suffering, for what? Putting any lifeform through suffering is immoral. He could have done it the moral way, but he didn't. Why?

Also, god has free will, right? Is god a sinner? No. Hence free will without sin is possible. What's his problem?

Why are you following a god that prefers to put sin/pain/suffering upon others, instead of ending it all by simply removing sin from that darn universe?


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #59
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
It doesn't say that, because the Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations. It deals with what actually happens. As for your pointless questions that are essentially just there to irritate...hypothetically, if you were taken to a shack, flung in and locked in with no means of getting out, would you be free? Of course not. By denying us the option of defying God, we have no free will. God doesn't want our devotion to him by having it hardwired into our heads. He wants it to be our choice.

God has Free Will and is not a sinner. Correct. However, while Jesus was on Earth, there was the potential for him to sin. He had that choice. Satan tempted him with it quite often. I don't suppose you've ever heard of Jesus' fasting for forty days in the desert.

We have pain and suffering because we sinned and this is a fallen world. We have sin because God gave us that option. Ignoring Original Sin, which is an extremely complicated subject and most theologians don't entirely understand it, every human, except Jesus, has sinned, thus damning us. According to the Laws God laid down, if you sin, you must pay the penalty. Why would he erase his Laws from existence? That removes the whole point of the Law! It would be like if we made murder legal as soon as someone was on trial for it. It defeats the entire purpose of the law.

Of course, you'll pull some kind of complaint that he should just make it all okay for us despite the fact that we defy and sin against him every day, and forgive us whether we ask for forgiveness or not. But you don't want forgiveness, do you? You'd prefer it just all get taken away and you never had to deal with it.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #60
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
It doesn't say that, because the Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations. It deals with what actually happens. As for your pointless questions that are essentially just there to irritate...hypothetically, if you were taken to a shack, flung in and locked in with no means of getting out, would you be free? Of course not. By denying us the option of defying God, we have no free will. God doesn't want our devotion to him by having it hardwired into our heads. He wants it to be our choice.
Oh, so questions to broaden out intellect exist to irritate? Why are we pursuing science, then? We'd all might as well live under rocks. Again, why does God want have us free and then acknowledge his existence when he could hard-wire it, after he created the universe and all. From a creator's perspective, that makes no sense - that's like creating a web browser that will go to websites only when it wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Of course, you'll pull some kind of complaint that he should just make it all okay for us despite the fact that we defy and sin against him every day, and forgive us whether we ask for forgiveness or not. But you don't want forgiveness, do you? You'd prefer it just all get taken away and you never had to deal with it.
Quite frankly, yes. I refuse to believe that we're just test subjects God made to rule over with tyranny. Also, God instates a law that doesn't have a constitution, a right to trial, and a right to defense. You can laugh at that statement, but a real law has these facets. The only law where you don't, are tyrannical fascist laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
We have pain and suffering because we sinned and this is a fallen world.
*I* have not sinned. Not once in my life. (Assumption) Eve sinned. And I didn't choose to be born in this fallen world. If I didn't choose any of this, why must I follow some God's law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
God has Free Will and is not a sinner. Correct.
Then why didn't he model us along that very line? The world would have obviously been a much better place, and it is quite possible to acknowledge God without recognizing sin. This need for sin and death and suffering is utterly useless.


Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #61
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
It doesn't say that, because the Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations.
It doesn't say that because people try to avoid thinking about that, and a proper answer is most probably going to render god immoral, a sinner or the whole thing itself useless.

Quote:
It deals with what actually happens.
Nope. It tells metaphoric stories, which are more of hypothetical nature rather than contemporary. Especially since the book is 2000 years old.

Quote:
As for your pointless questions that are essentially just there to irritate...
Err, please. Questions cannot irritate. However, obviously you just don't know a valid answer to my questions, and to cover that you accuse me of being irritating. You are irritated, indeed. Actually this is not due to my questions, but because you cannot answer them, and even more, you recognise that my questions arise a very good point.


Quote:
hypothetically, if you were taken to a shack, flung in and locked in with no means of getting out, would you be free? Of course not.
How is that relevant to god removing sin?

Quote:
By denying us the option of defying God, we have no free will. God doesn't want our devotion to him by having it hardwired into our heads. He wants it to be our choice.
AGAIN: remove sin and nothing but sin. Nothing else. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Quote:
God has Free Will and is not a sinner. Correct.
OK. Then we have prove that 'no sin' and 'free will' is an easy to solve task.

Quote:
However, while Jesus was on Earth, there was the potential for him to sin. He had that choice. Satan tempted him with it quite often.
Oh, so Satan propagates sin? Here's my suggestion: remove Satan. One problem regarding sin solved.

Quote:
I don't suppose you've ever heard of Jesus' fasting for forty days in the desert.
And you base that assumption on what fact? Also, I cannot see the relevance to 'make sin go away' either.

Quote:
We have pain and suffering because we sinned and this is a fallen world.
'fallen world' - what does that mean anyway? This is a vague phrase, and makes no specific point at all. And, also, that whole sentence is not true. We have pain and suffering because god created it. If god created everything, he also created cause for pain and suffering, and thus pain and suffering. He is also not taking it away, thus knowingly putting us through pain and suffering, thus he is acting immoral. Ain't that a sin?

Quote:
We have sin because God gave us that option.
I cannot see that option in the phrase "every human is a sinner". Focus on the word "is".

Quote:
Ignoring Original Sin, which is an extremely complicated subject and most theologians don't entirely understand it
But yet you fight these theories as if there was no tomorrow. You orientate your life after something you don't understand, without even asking questions for further understanding.

Quote:
every human, except Jesus, has sinned
Oh, and so has a unborn or newborn baby? Again, where is the "option" to sin or not in that statement.

Quote:
thus damning us
I sense immorality.

Quote:
According to the Laws God laid down, if you sin, you must pay the penalty
Again, since everybody sins, everybody must pay the penalty. Why that whole "god gave us the option to sin" gibberish then. God made us sinners, that would be correct.

Quote:
Why would he erase his Laws from existence? That removes the whole point of the Law! It would be like if we made murder legal as soon as someone was on trial for it. It defeats the entire purpose of the law.
Nobody said make sin legal.

Quote:
Of course, you'll pull some kind of complaint that he should just make it all okay for us despite the fact that we defy and sin against him every day, and forgive us whether we ask for forgiveness or not.
Without sin, no forgiveness of sin is needed. Simple logic.

Quote:
But you don't want forgiveness, do you? You'd prefer it just all get taken away and you never had to deal with it.
Hey, why bother me with something that bothers god? If he dislikes sin so much, he should do something against it, not I. Also, why should I deal with the 'sins' of everybody else? It still makes no sense to me.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #62
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Samuel Dravis gave a plausible explanation for this on the first page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
We're told that in the beginning, there was no evil - God looked at his creation and saw that it was (perfectly) good. But there's an idea here we don't want to miss: maximally perfect in the sense of limited beings is not maximally perfect in an absolute sense. Now, here I presuppose that God can't do logically impossible things, like making a REAL married bachelor and the like (I'm sure some would like to say he could but I'm going to ignore them). Anyway, created beings are by definition limited, so God is in a difficult situation - he can't create a being that's not limited, because doing so would break the definition of creation. He's left with beings that are limited, and being so limited they are capable of error (and thus sin).
Perhaps you are suggesting God should do something logically impossible?


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #63
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
(A) God is omnipotent. He can, by the very definition of omnipotence, do the logically impossible, especially since god does not necessarily follow human or any logic with what he is doing.

(B) What is logically impossible? Something we cannot comprehend logically. It says that god can do things that we cannot comprehend. Ergo, if doing something logically impossible is something we cannot comprehend, god would still be able to do it, since he can do what we cannot comprehend.

Comprehende?


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #64
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
(A) You are using a logical definition of omnipotence to assume God can do something that violates the definition of a thing. If God's omnipotence allows him to violate logic, God's omnipotence does not allow him to violate logic. Did that make sense? No, but that's about as meaningful of a discussion as we can have on the matter.

(B) Something is logically impossible if it violates its own definition. A = B, B != C therefore A = C is logically impossible. "Ergo, if doing something logically impossible is something we cannot comprehend, god would could maybe still be able to do it, since he can might do what we cannot comprehend." Fixed. We cannot say what could or could not be done when logic is suspended. See (A) for explanation.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #65
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
These concepts aren't completely unique to Eastern philosophies but indeed you are right -- they do not fit well with traditional Christian teachings. Meister Eckhart of Germany was charged with heresy in 1326 for proclaiming this exactly this type of Christian mysticism.
That was quite interesting, thanks for the link TK. I confess I am unaware of most heresies; my concentration up to now has been figuring out if even the most popular religions make sense.


Quote:
The biggest thing this view provides for me is perspective. Whether in terms of human relations, quantum mechanics, or chaos theory -- the sense that all things are changing but the internal nature within everything is not.

...
That's an good way to look at it, TK... if nothing's happening then why get upset about it? Got any books on the subject that you liked in particular? I'd be interested in reading them if so.



Ray, here's a quote I shamelessly stole from Wiki, which shamelessly stole it from C.S. Lewis' The Problem Of Pain. He talks about God's omnipotence:

His Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.


I do recommend the book if you're wanting to get a better explanation of why God would allow evil.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein

Last edited by Samuel Dravis; 10-22-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #66
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
It doesn't say that because people try to avoid thinking about that, and a proper answer is most probably going to render god immoral, a sinner or the whole thing itself useless.

Nope. It tells metaphoric stories, which are more of hypothetical nature rather than contemporary. Especially since the book is 2000 years old.

Err, please. Questions cannot irritate. However, obviously you just don't know a valid answer to my questions, and to cover that you accuse me of being irritating. You are irritated, indeed. Actually this is not due to my questions, but because you cannot answer them, and even more, you recognise that my questions arise a very good point.


How is that relevant to god removing sin?

AGAIN: remove sin and nothing but sin. Nothing else. Is that so hard to comprehend?

OK. Then we have prove that 'no sin' and 'free will' is an easy to solve task.

Oh, so Satan propagates sin? Here's my suggestion: remove Satan. One problem regarding sin solved.

And you base that assumption on what fact? Also, I cannot see the relevance to 'make sin go away' either.

'fallen world' - what does that mean anyway? This is a vague phrase, and makes no specific point at all. And, also, that whole sentence is not true. We have pain and suffering because god created it. If god created everything, he also created cause for pain and suffering, and thus pain and suffering. He is also not taking it away, thus knowingly putting us through pain and suffering, thus he is acting immoral. Ain't that a sin?

I cannot see that option in the phrase "every human is a sinner". Focus on the word "is".

But yet you fight these theories as if there was no tomorrow. You orientate your life after something you don't understand, without even asking questions for further understanding.

Oh, and so has a unborn or newborn baby? Again, where is the "option" to sin or not in that statement.

I sense immorality.

Again, since everybody sins, everybody must pay the penalty. Why that whole "god gave us the option to sin" gibberish then. God made us sinners, that would be correct.

Nobody said make sin legal.

Without sin, no forgiveness of sin is needed. Simple logic.

Hey, why bother me with something that bothers god? If he dislikes sin so much, he should do something against it, not I. Also, why should I deal with the 'sins' of everybody else? It still makes no sense to me.
Starting from the top...

The Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations like "What if Jesus was black?" or "Could God have his cake AND eat it too?" Which is basically the gist of what you're asking because the Bible has a point.

You cannot definitively say that the Bible is metaphoric. You were not present when it was written. Now, you can say you THINK it is metaphorical, but as you're trying to disprove, the burden of proof lies with you.

Questions can irritate. For example, every day I am asked several questions regarding whether I would like to increase the size of a certain organ. Your questions aren't quite that annoying, but they're up there.

Sin is what displeases God. That's pretty much the heart of it. That was my point. If God removed Sin from existence, we would have no choice but to do as God wanted, as there would be no alternative.

AGAIN: Without sin, we are forced to obey God, as disobeying God is sinful. Do you get it? Geez, maybe if I converted this to Binary or something?

Satan and Sin are not linked together that closely. Satan is the first sinner, but if he ceased to be, sin would still exist.

The relevance was that the Forty Day Fast in the Desert was where Satan tempted Jesus. Your question regarding the matter proves my point.

Fallen World. Well, here's Fallen... fall·en /ˈfɔlən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[faw-luhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb
1. pp. of fall.
–adjective
2. having dropped or come down from a higher place, from an upright position, or from a higher level, degree, amount, quality, value, number, etc.
3. on the ground; prostrate; down flat: Exhausted, the racers lay fallen by the road.
4. degraded or immoral.
5. (of a woman) having lost her chastity.
6. overthrown, destroyed, or conquered: a fallen city.
7. dead: fallen troops.

And here's World...world /wɜrld/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wurld] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the earth or globe, considered as a planet.
2. (often initial capital letter) a particular division of the earth: the Western world.
3. the earth or a part of it, with its inhabitants, affairs, etc., during a particular period: the ancient world.
4. humankind; the human race; humanity: The world must eliminate war and poverty.
5. the public generally: The whole world knows it.
6. the class of persons devoted to the affairs, interests, or pursuits of this life: The world worships success.
7. a particular class of people, with common interests, aims, etc.: the fashionable world.
8. any sphere, realm, or domain, with all pertaining to it: a child's world; the world of dreams; the insect world.
9. everything that exists; the universe; the macrocosm.
10. any complex whole conceived as resembling the universe: the world of the microcosm.
11. one of the three general groupings of physical nature: animal world; mineral world; vegetable world.

Hurray!

See how annoying it is when I deliberately reinterpret what you try to say?

We have pain because God created it. Correct. You see, pain is a very important part of the human mind. It shows us that such a thing is dangerous. It's why we don't jam our hands into fires, electrical sockets, glass shards, knives, and potent acids. Welcome to elementary biology.

God gave our forebears that option. Now, I guess I'll take care of your point that you should get away with your sin because Adam did it first. I like to think of that as the "Toddler Defense." AKA "He did it first" defense. Johnny Cochran would have loved it. God is merciful and just, but he is also, for lack of a better world, angry and vengeful. If we ask for his forgiveness, he will forgive our sins and cleanse our souls, but for each of us that sins, that stain remains until we ask forgiveness for it. But if we don't ask for it, if we don't WANT his forgiveness, God will understand that we have no desire for him and cast us into the outer darkness, where we can be with the one we love the most for eternity. Ourselves.

It's not complex. Casting down our sin and accepting Jesus into our hearts is not easy, but it's more than possible. God doesn't ask much of us to gain his forgiveness. Ever hear the story of the thief on the cross? He was vile enough to warrant crucifixion even by his own standard and when he asked forgiveness, Jesus told him he would be with him in Paradise that day. God doesn't ask us to sacrifice our hands for him or become hermits in the mountains, he simply asks us to let go of our sin and accept him into our hearts. If we sincerely want it, it's ours.

Think about that. All he asks us to do is let go of our burden and we'll be saved by him. He's not asking us to give up something that should be near and dear to us. He doesn't ask you to sacrifice your firstborn child or make some other great sacrifice, he asks you to give up something that brings nothing but bad. Consider that.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #67
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Got any books on the subject that you liked in particular? I'd be interested in reading them if so.
Well I liked Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, the Mandukya Upanishad, and various excerpts from Sri Aurobindo that I've come across. I confess most of my reading in this area was done at a university using Radhakrishnan and Moore's A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy over 10 years ago.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #68
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
The Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations like "What if Jesus was black?" or "Could God have his cake AND eat it too?" Which is basically the gist of what you're asking because the Bible has a point.

You cannot definitively say that the Bible is metaphoric. You were not present when it was written. Now, you can say you THINK it is metaphorical, but as you're trying to disprove, the burden of proof lies with you.
But you stated before that the Bible is a book sent by God for the humans to understand and follow laws, which makes it a pseudo-constitution. And books that lay down the law should be completely based on hypothetical situations, and not read out like a storybook compilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Sin is what displeases God. That's pretty much the heart of it. That was my point. If God removed Sin from existence, we would have no choice but to do as God wanted, as there would be no alternative.
And isn't that what we should be doing? Are you suggesting that sin is a viable alternative to following God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
AGAIN: Without sin, we are forced to obey God, as disobeying God is sinful. Do you get it? Geez, maybe if I converted this to Binary or something?
You're not making any sense here, mate. We won't be "forced" to obey God if we don't sin. Also, if not sinning is being forced to obey God, then we are as it is being forced to obey God by being threatened of sin, damnation, hell and Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Satan and Sin are not linked together that closely. Satan is the first sinner, but if he ceased to be, sin would still exist.
But Satan propagates sin. We would considerably debilitate sin if we take Satan out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Hurray!

See how annoying it is when I deliberately reinterpret what you try to say?
No, that is being an 11 year old *******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
We have pain because God created it. Correct. You see, pain is a very important part of the human mind. It shows us that such a thing is dangerous. It's why we don't jam our hands into fires, electrical sockets, glass shards, knives, and potent acids. Welcome to elementary biology.
Hi, ever heard of emotional pain, trauma, that of sort of thing? Psychology, perhaps? Go try that dictionary of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
God gave our forebears that option. Now, I guess I'll take care of your point that you should get away with your sin because Adam did it first. I like to think of that as the "Toddler Defense." AKA "He did it first" defense. Johnny Cochran would have loved it. God is merciful and just, but he is also, for lack of a better world, angry and vengeful. If we ask for his forgiveness, he will forgive our sins and cleanse our souls, but for each of us that sins, that stain remains until we ask forgiveness for it. But if we don't ask for it, if we don't WANT his forgiveness, God will understand that we have no desire for him and cast us into the outer darkness, where we can be with the one we love the most for eternity. Ourselves.
The point is, why should we be punished for what Adam and Eve did? My soul, my will did not choose to be Adam's descendant. I was forced into this world. Why should I be forced to be born a sinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Casting down our sin
But we are sinners to begin with! Imagine this scenario: A baby is killed five days after he is born. He is a sinner, according to the Adam/Eve theory and he wasn't intelligent enough to seek repentance. That would mean the baby goes to hell for no particular reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Think about that. All he asks us to do is let go of our burden and we'll be saved by him. He's not asking us to give up something that should be near and dear to us. He doesn't ask you to sacrifice your firstborn child or make some other great sacrifice, he asks you to give up something that brings nothing but bad. Consider that.
And if a person doesn't consider his sin a burden? We're talking about mass murderers, terrorists, psychopaths here, especially the last. He loves killing and doesn't consider it a burden, and hence doesn't bother asking for forgiveness, still he would go to hell. In his eyes, he did nothing wrong, he is completely innocent and his brain is damaged, hence he cannot comprehend morality. What would God's anti-sin SS do now?


Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #69
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Reminder, anyone who is irritated by questions in this thread or any other should remember they are under no obligation to answer them. You have the power to control your own anger and that is one of the expectations when you enter a debate here.

Thank you.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #70
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Starting from the top...

The Bible doesn't deal with hypothetical situations like "What if Jesus was black?" or "Could God have his cake AND eat it too?" Which is basically the gist of what you're asking because the Bible has a point.
Whether do I ask 'what if' nor do I ask 'can he', I am asking for a reason for what he *is* or *is not* doing. Different thing.

Quote:
You cannot definitively say that the Bible is metaphoric. You were not present when it was written. Now, you can say you THINK it is metaphorical, but as you're trying to disprove, the burden of proof lies with you.
I see that quite the other way around. I must not prove it to be metaphoric. And I can't. Because to do so, you'd need to point out to valid evidence that it is describing history how it happened. However, that is not what I am interested in.

Quote:
Questions can irritate. For example, every day I am asked several questions regarding whether I would like to increase the size of a certain organ. Your questions aren't quite that annoying, but they're up there.
Annoying does not equal irritating. And I think I am anything but about to ask you to upsize your breast.

Quote:
Sin is what displeases God. That's pretty much the heart of it. That was my point. If God removed Sin from existence, we would have no choice but to do as God wanted, as there would be no alternative.
There would be no alternatives and choices left? Like where to go? What movie to see? What's for dinner? Who you wanna marry? Which is your favourite colour? Go outside naked or paint the kitchen green? Come on.

Quote:
AGAIN: Without sin, we are forced to obey God, as disobeying God is sinful. Do you get it?
Oh, I sure get it. But try to get that without sin, disobeying god wouldn't be sinful anymore. Oh, and how can we disobey god, if we have free will, and have been given the choice?

Quote:
Satan and Sin are not linked together that closely. Satan is the first sinner, but if he ceased to be, sin would still exist.
Yes, but if he ceased to be, the would be one needless troublemaker off the list, right? Or do we seriously need Satan for anything?

Quote:
The relevance was that the Forty Day Fast in the Desert was where Satan tempted Jesus. Your question regarding the matter proves my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
And you base that assumption on what fact? Also, I cannot see the relevance to 'make sin go away' either.
I think you should reread what I wrote.
And I repeat my question: how does that relate to "god should strike sin off the list".

Quote:
See how annoying it is when I deliberately reinterpret what you try to say?
Nope.

Quote:
We have pain because God created it. Correct. You see, pain is a very important part of the human mind. It shows us that such a thing is dangerous. It's why we don't jam our hands into fires, electrical sockets, glass shards, knives, and potent acids. Welcome to elementary biology.
Oh, that one was good. However. I have no problem with that and that was not my point, either.

Quote:
preachery
No.

Quote:
All he asks us to do is let go of our burden and we'll be saved by him. He's not asking us to give up something that should be near and dear to us. He doesn't ask you to sacrifice your firstborn child or make some other great sacrifice, he asks you to give up something that brings nothing but bad. Consider that.
Consider that: do something good for those around you, but not for god, or out of the self centered and selfish wish to be 'saved'. Do something selfless and good, without god or Jesus in your mind.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #71
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Have you ever really done anything altruistic? I doubt it. Nobody does anything really, truly altruistic. There's always that little thing in the back of your mind that you're hoping the girl you like will see you, or you'll get praised, etc, etc, so on and so forth. Humans are reward-motivated people.

How is it selfish to want to be saved? It's not like you being saved denies it to anything else. It's in your own interests, yes, but that does not make it selfish.

Sorry, you don't understand burden of proof. You have to prove something stated is wrong, the stater does not have to prove it is right. Although I could see if I can get Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to come down and prove their points...sorry, they're not interested.

Mammary glands aren't organs, and even if they were, my moobs are big enough.

Yes, I suppose you would have a choice about trivial matters, but not over anything really significant. Without sin in the world, everyone and everything would be effectively perfect. No worrying about which politician to vote for: They're all humble, good people who don't lie, and it's the same all over the world.

Again, I'm going to reiterate this one last time, and if you ignore it, I'm done with this thread.

Why would God, who's Law is perfect, override that law because it's not convenient, because you don't want to pay the same price as the rest of humanity? And you call me selfish for wanting to be saved.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #72
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Have you ever really done anything altruistic? I doubt it. Nobody does anything really, truly altruistic. There's always that little thing in the back of your mind that you're hoping the girl you like will see you, or you'll get praised, etc, etc, so on and so forth. Humans are reward-motivated people.
I said 'without god in mind' not altruistic. And sometimes the reward is to see someone happy, your child, mom, girlfriend, who cares. Yeah I also do work for money to buy food so my family has something to eat. How reward orientated and selfish. The point is, I don't do that to be saved, I do that for me, and those around me.

Quote:
How is it selfish to want to be saved? It's not like you being saved denies it to anything else. It's in your own interests, yes, but that does not make it selfish.
Oooh, I gotta do good, else I'm not saved, but I want to be saved, so I am not going to hell. --- Selfish.

Quote:
Yes, I suppose you would have a choice about trivial matters, but not over anything really significant. Without sin in the world, everyone and everything would be effectively perfect. No worrying about which politician to vote for: They're all humble, good people who don't lie, and it's the same all over the world.
Wouldn't that be great? Nice people everywhere. However, please do not come up with "but what's with individuality", since being nice and honest and without sin does not mean everybody is the same.

Quote:
Why would God, who's Law is perfect
Who says it is perfect? And again, who says "change the law"? Let's say it together: no body but you..

Screw god's law - just wipe sin from the world. You don't know how? Ask your oh so perfect god.

Quote:
override that law because it's not convenient, because you don't want to pay the same price as the rest of humanity?
Wrong. I don't want humanity pay the price for what a naked couple did ten thousand years ago. It makes no sense. It's like someone is taking your little sister, brother, mother, father, son and wife to prison because your grand grand grand grandpa shot the sheriff.

Quote:
And you call me selfish for wanting to be saved.
I didn't call you selfish. I call doing good out of the will to be saved selfish. I do good without wanting myself to be saved. Yes, I do that to get a smile or to hear "i love you daddy" because that makes me happy. However, I couldn't care less if I'm gonna be saved by some god or not.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #73
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
You obviously didn't read the post before last. Apparently. Since you ignored a significant chunk of it as 'preachery.'. You can't get to Heaven by doing good. It has nothing to do with your own goodness. Trying to find Heaven by doing good on your own is pointless and futile, because God's standard is perfection, which a human can and will never achieve under his own power. But with Jesus, we can instantly be purged of all sin, thus qualifying us for entry into heaven because we turned our sin over to Jesus, who has already paid the penalty so that we would not have to.

God doesn't just remove Sin because we chose sin a long time ago, and taking it away from us would be taking away something the majority of humanity is pleased to have. To purge Sin from the world, he'd also have to remove many of the Freedoms we all cherish so much. Freedom of Speech? Gone. It's sinful to say some things, like taking God's name in vain. Freedom of Religion? Gone. It's sinful to worship other Gods. Freedom of the Press? Same as Freedom of Speech. So on.

Basically, you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to have the knowledge of the Apple of the Tree, but you don't want to have the penalty that came with it. It doesn't work that way.

Again, it would be violating our freedom to take sin away from us against our will. We can turn it over to Jesus, but by the Law someone has to pay for it. If we cling to our sin, we pay for it. But if we give our sin over to Jesus, he can pay for it, and he already has paid the penalty.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #74
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
You obviously didn't read the post before last. Apparently. Since you ignored a significant chunk of it as 'preachery.'.
I didn't ignore it. I usually do not ignore people when they talk to me. Especially if I talk to them too. However, I chose my rather short answer regarding that topic.

Quote:
You can't get to Heaven by doing good. It has nothing to do with your own goodness. Trying to find Heaven by doing good on your own is pointless and futile, because God's standard is perfection, which a human can and will never achieve under his own power. But with Jesus, we can instantly be purged of all sin, thus qualifying us for entry into heaven because we turned our sin over to Jesus, who has already paid the penalty so that we would not have to.
What you might overlook here is, I don't want to go to heaven. I don't care about that kind of stuff. Here and now, and tomorrow is what I care about.

Quote:
God doesn't just remove Sin because we chose sin a long time ago, and taking it away from us would be taking away something the majority of humanity is pleased to have.
Okay so we're now wanting sin? That makes even less sense.

Quote:
To purge Sin from the world, he'd also have to remove many of the Freedoms we all cherish so much. Freedom of Speech? Gone. It's sinful to say some things, like taking God's name in vain.
But we're still free to say "hey nice hat", "yeah baby lets do it that way", "oh ray", "ooooooh raaaaayyy" and "oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh rrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy", right? That's enough I guess, who cares if I can take god's name in vain?

Quote:
Freedom of Religion? Gone. It's sinful to worship other Gods.
XDDD lol, I don't even wanna guess how many religions make that statement..

Quote:
Freedom of the Press? Same as Freedom of Speech.
So it's sin to write about news of the day? Or funny things? New discoveries?

Quote:
Basically, you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to have the knowledge of the Apple of the Tree, but you don't want to have the penalty that came with it. It doesn't work that way.
Who says it doesn't work that way? Penalty for gaining knowledge? Knowledge and wisdom is something really desirable, and I'd accept no god who'd punish anyone for seeking for it.

Quote:
Again, it would be violating our freedom to take sin away from us against our will.
It is not against my will to take away sin. Is it against your will?

Quote:
But if we give our sin over to Jesus, he can pay for it, and he already has paid the penalty.
Gee, why would I pass my responsibility for what I have done to someone else, even more to the son of god? I am responsible for what I have done, no one can take that from me!


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #75
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls
 
Darth Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 667
Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
What if God is of a species who have spread amongst existence creating stuff and hanging out?

Darth Xander is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #76
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I didn't ignore it. I usually do not ignore people when they talk to me. Especially if I talk to them too. However, I chose my rather short answer regarding that topic.

What you might overlook here is, I don't want to go to heaven. I don't care about that kind of stuff. Here and now, and tomorrow is what I care about.

Okay so we're now wanting sin? That makes even less sense.

But we're still free to say "hey nice hat", "yeah baby lets do it that way", "oh ray", "ooooooh raaaaayyy" and "oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh rrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy", right? That's enough I guess, who cares if I can take god's name in vain?

XDDD lol, I don't even wanna guess how many religions make that statement..

So it's sin to write about news of the day? Or funny things? New discoveries?

Who says it doesn't work that way? Penalty for gaining knowledge? Knowledge and wisdom is something really desirable, and I'd accept no god who'd punish anyone for seeking for it.

It is not against my will to take away sin. Is it against your will?

Gee, why would I pass my responsibility for what I have done to someone else, even more to the son of god? I am responsible for what I have done, no one can take that from me!
I was using taking God's name in vain as an example. Here's another instance of you completely, and probably deliberately, missing my point.

You've got a point about the worshiping other Gods part. That is generally how it works. What's your point, though?

Again, missing my point. Freedom of Speech gives you the Freedom to say sinful things, and Freedom of the Press gives you the freedom to print sinful things. Geez.

There's a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. Some of the wisest people I know are hardly geniuses, and many geniuses aren't very wise. Aside from that, we were not punished because we gained that knowledge, we were punished because we defied God in acquiring it. Or, to put it in Earth terms, we weren't given that knowledge, we stole it.

You say it's not against your will to take away your sin, yet there is already an aisle where that sin can be taken from you, yet you do not avail yourself of it. So, you must cling to sin.

As for the last part, then enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth, abandon hope, all ye who enter here, and remember to check to see if any cool people are on the same level as you.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #77
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Fallout 2
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
But we're still free to say "hey nice hat",
In China, you're not allowed to form an opposing political party but you are certainly free to start your own business and make a million yuan. So Ray, you're suggesting maybe God could partially censor people's behavior like China? Hmm... interesting.

Eat some of the cake, and have some of the cake.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #78
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Again, missing my point. Freedom of Speech gives you the Freedom to say sinful things, and Freedom of the Press gives you the freedom to print sinful things.
You are missing my point. Without sin there is still *a lot* of stuff that can be written that's not sin. I find that is more than enough. I don't need 'sinful things' to be written. You are missing my whole point. The end of 'sin' does not mean end of all freedom.

Quote:
Aside from that, we were not punished because we gained that knowledge, we were punished because we defied God in acquiring it. Or, to put it in Earth terms, we weren't given that knowledge, we stole it.
Knowledge belongs to no one. However, what kind of knowledge did Adam an Eve steal exactly?

Quote:
You say it's not against your will to take away your sin, yet there is already an aisle where that sin can be taken from you, yet you do not avail yourself of it. So, you must cling to sin.
Huh? Not my sin not your sin. Sin as a whole.

Quote:
As for the last part, then enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth, abandon hope, all ye who enter here, and remember to check to see if any cool people are on the same level as you.
Sounds really horrible. Hor-ri-ble, I say.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
In China, you're not allowed to form an opposing political party but you are certainly free to start your own business and make a million yuan. So Ray, you're suggesting maybe God could partially censor people's behavior like China?
See, tk, god's ways are m-y-s-t-e-r-i-o-u-s. What do I care how? We would not even notice that he took sin away. We would not know it ever existed. For sure.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #79
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
You are missing my point. Without sin there is still *a lot* of stuff that can be written that's not sin. I find that is more than enough. I don't need 'sinful things' to be written. You are missing my whole point. The end of 'sin' does not mean end of all freedom.

Knowledge belongs to no one. However, what kind of knowledge did Adam an Eve steal exactly?

Huh? Not my sin not your sin. Sin as a whole.

Sounds really horrible. Hor-ri-ble, I say.

EDIT:

See, tk, god's ways are m-y-s-t-e-r-i-o-u-s. What do I care how? We would not even notice that he took sin away. We would not know it ever existed. For sure.
True. But God wants us to have true free will, not just freedom to do things that don't offend him. It angers him when we sin against him, but he gave us that choice. Why don't you get this? It's not complex. God allows us to sin, because we have free will. If he takes away that sin, he limits our free will, because he places a barrier on things we can and can't do even within our own mind.

I disagree. Knowledge belongs to God, and he gives it as he sees fit. Furthermore, they stole it because God said "Do not eat of that apple." and they did it anyway. Just because they were allowed to be in the presence of the apple doesn't mean they had the right to eat it. For example, say you were in a very wealthy friend's house and you saw a small item, say, a ring, with a large diamond stone, made of gold. Just because he allowed you into the presence of that, doesn't mean you have the right to slip it into your pocket and sneak out.

Humanity as a whole clings to Sin.

Have it your way, buddy. You won't be saying that when you get there.
Corinthian is offline   you may:
Old 10-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #80
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,252
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
True. But God wants us to have true free will, not just freedom to do things that don't offend him. It angers him when we sin against him, but he gave us that choice. Why don't you get this? It's not complex.
See I get this. It just makes no sense. We have no free will to sin or not when it is given that every human is a sinner. By that phrase the option is no option at all. We are sinners without choice, period.

Quote:
For example, say you were in a very wealthy friend's house and you saw a small item, say, a ring, with a large diamond stone, made of gold. Just because he allowed you into the presence of that, doesn't mean you have the right to slip it into your pocket and sneak out.
See, that ring belongs to my friend, not to whoever. It's a different pair of socks. Knowledge is not owned by my friend, so I cannot steal it from him.

Quote:
Have it your way, buddy. You won't be saying that when you get there.
Yeah, hard to say something when I am dead.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > God, man, and the nature of sin

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.