lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #121
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montral, Qubec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Except...

1. The setting is fixed. You cannot be a jedi fighting in the war without being exiled by the jedi order, nor can you play a major character, since the leaders are Revan and Malak.

2. All players will still be only jedi, and so that problem persists.

3. The plot itself is fixed and cannot deviate from the historic events as established by the KotOR games or comic books, making for a setting where nothing any player does can alter or evolve the setting (= boring). This means no room for plot development or growth of character. You can grow the stats and nothing more (also = boring).

4. Your character can have no future, since we already know virtually any and all jedi and sith are dead within a decade or so.

1. Nor is it the goal to play a major character. That's the thing with MMORPGs, you don't do that. Then again, I don't need a game to make me feel fantastic and having a vast influence over a virtual world.

2. Not all, but mostly certainly. Still, why would it be an inherent problem? As long as the setting allows for such numbers to exist, there is no problem at all.

3. Your opinion is unfortunately not fact. If you find something boring, too bad, doesn't mean it's not feasible. Also, as far as I know, you're no political figure or scientist about to make a major breakthrough in cancer research. Your presence in the world will mostly go unnoticed by the vast majority of the population. However, you will influence those close to you. I didn't change the World of Warcraft, but I made some (internet) friends and I'm happy to have at least changed something in their gaming life. That's just me and I'm quite happy of that. If you need to be a god in your world to feel worthy of existence, that's you and it's fine. Still doesn't mean that a KotOR MMO is not feasible.

4. Dear god! I will die one day? Never would have believed that...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Which is precisely why the alleged strength of KotOR as written by Bioware that 1up points to cannot take place in an MMORPG, since you cannot have such backgrounds for the playable characters. Actually more like really simple logic. Perhaps even very simple conclusions.
But it can have well written background story about the universe and interesting quests and characters you'll meet. Maybe you're not that interesting, but the universe you adventure in is. That's where strength in writing can help create a believe universe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
My point exactly. That's why 1up's take on the situation is questionable.
Who's talking about 1up? I didn't mention them. SPRPGs and MMORPGs follow different templates and that's my point. Different ways of thinking. I don't seek the same experience when playing Unreal Tournament then when playing Bioshock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
It might be stronger, but as you say yourself, you cannot apply SPRPG to an MMORPG. Consequently, the plot cannot be as deep.
Still, you persist on applying SPRPG logic to MMORPGs even if you claim you don't. You cannot have a plot as deep as an SPRPG, it is not possible, you're seeking different experiences.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Which all means nothing to me. KotOR games are good for the depth of the plots. They are like interactive novels, where you can affect bits and pieces, but not the larger picture. This means less freedom to play, but also potential for stronger plots with deeper and more complex characters. You cannot have that in an MMORPG, where total freedom to explore is essential.
No no, not KotOR games, KotOR RPGs up to now. It's like saying that we shouldn't make any other type of games coming from the Star Wars universe other then the Atari Star Wars Arcade game because that came out first. Nothing else can be made about that universe.
It could also mean no videogame should be made about Star Wars because it's movies first and nothing else but non-interactive moving pictures or it'll be heresy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Actually, "killed" would be the appropriate term. You're basically "solving" the problem by "removing" all non-jedi from the setting...
I have a fly that's bugging me. I kill it. It's gone. Problem solved. I don't see what you're talking about. I'm removing all the non-jedi from being playable. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Since that has a certain "master race"-sort of quality to it, you'll forgive me if I do not find the idea particularly compelling or palatable... In fact, I might use the same term you did in reference to that suggestion
I honestly don't have any idea what you're talking about.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Perhaps. But it's still better than a KotOR MMORPG.
It's actually unfeasible. I thought we were talking about if something can be done or not?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
2. Daily battles (how long before that becomes old hat? Sounds fairly boring to me...)
Say, I'm playing Battlefield 1942 on a certain server, 4 maps are on rotation, let's say Tobruk, Omaha Beach, Kharkov and Berlin, in that exact order. I finish Tobruk, Axis won, I stick around for Omaha Beach. Omaha Beach finishes, I decide to stick around for Kharkov. Allies win Kharkov, I absolutely sucked, but hey, I want to get back to good performance with the next map, Berlin. Great, Axis has won Berlin, I'm pumped up and I want to kick more ass so I decide to stay again. What map is that now? Tobruk? Again? Heavens !

So, what is my point? That's how multiplayer works.


Frankly, if it's your opinion that you simply hate MMORPGs and would not play one based on the KotOR universe, fine, no one is putting a bloody gun to your head. However, if you consider your opinion of what is interesting, what you seek in videogames to be norm on which we make them, then I'm sorry, you're only speaking for yourself. An MMORPG based on the KotOR universe is feasible, whether you like it or not.

By the way, they did make comic books about the KotOR universe. Hey, that ain't SPRPG. Dear god!


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #122
Henz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
Actually this was not directed at you, it was directed at the comment from Henz, that he doesn't do MMO's because he has a girlfriend. But it was also general enough that we should respect eachother's preferences PERIOD. Without the attacks and stereotypes. If he had said it and instead said that he doesn't play MMO's because he isn't a retard it would be just as insulting. I just prefer not to have people using a stereotype to make their point. YOU on the other hand provide REASONS you would rather not have an MMO that stem from personal preference and logical background, so that comment was not directed at you.
Meh, get over it. Stereotypes are fun.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #123
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
*looks at title of thread*

I might be losing my grip on the English language but I don't think it mentions anything about "MMO vs SPRPG", so maybe that topic might be worthy of its own thread



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #124
kotor_freak
Rookie
 
kotor_freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Behind You ;D
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowars617
Ditto.

From the quote: "interactive entertainment product", I'm hoping it ain't MMO, but that title is so vague that it could mean anything from KotOR3 to 3D Chess!


WOWOWOWOW 3D CHESS!!!!

I mean...er....yeah, KotOR3! :P

I wouldn't paticuarly like a KotOR MMORPG, seen as i liked to be the only one who ran around saving the universe I'd hate it if their were another million people doing it, meh, probably hate them too.....I mean, apart from everyone here! Please don't kill me :P Heh...crap.


"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #125
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Well, if its an MMO, lets hope that it is not raped and molested once again by $0NY's stinking hutt hands.

As for MMO, I don't think there is many roleplaying involved. Most of the MMO I played basically translated into a combination of grinding, item-hunt, and some PvP afterwards. I would hardly call that roleplaying.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #126
Burrie
 
Burrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 789
Well, this may turn out to be interesting.
Burrie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #127
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
In an effort to see if we can find some common ground, is there anyone here who honestly thinks this LucasArts/BioWare project will result in anything other than some sort of RPG (meaning SP or MMO) based on a LucasArts-owned IP?


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #128
Xeranx
Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3
Can't wait for Bioware to put a truly engaging game together and for LA to grind it until it's some piece of fluff ala SWG.


寶石無法被擦亮沒有摩擦, 亦不人被完善沒有試驗
Xeranx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #129
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montral, Qubec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
As for MMO, I don't think there is many roleplaying involved. Most of the MMO I played basically translated into a combination of grinding, item-hunt, and some PvP afterwards. I would hardly call that roleplaying.
That's because you've never found a group of people to RP with.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #130
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
In an effort to see if we can find some common ground, is there anyone here who honestly thinks this LucasArts/BioWare project will result in anything other than some sort of RPG (meaning SP or MMO) based on a LucasArts-owned IP?
No.

One point of interest is how in an MMO, your character isn't very powerful in terms of influence and everyone knowing your name, that stuff. Well first lets focus on who the character would be in a SPRPG. It's not going to be someone who's lost their connection to the force and is trying to get it back. Its not going to be Revan or the Exile. My guess is you would play as an ordinary Jedi. Now put this in the context of an MMO. Fits perfectly the way I see it.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #131
teodesetkata
Rookie
 
teodesetkata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemu Taos
Here's some more "official" news..



I think there's a fairly good chance that we'll see this long rumored MMO with former swg devs at Bioware Austin.

Edit - then again who knows! lol
All my hopes for KotOR 3 are dead... This isn't fair... Eh, I'll be satisfied with KotOR 1 and 2. If it is MMO, then I'm not buying it. Hear my words. It will not work.
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #132
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Did you see the date on that? 8 months ago...a lot can change in that time!

He also said currently



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #133
HQ|Delta 07
Rookie
 
HQ|Delta 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata
All my hopes for KotOR 3 are dead... This isn't fair... Eh, I'll be satisfied with KotOR 1 and 2. If it is MMO, then I'm not buying it. Hear my words. It will not work.
Someone said it before: look when it was written. More than 6 months have passed since that.

Quote:
One point of interest is how in an MMO, your character isn't very powerful in terms of influence and everyone knowing your name, that stuff. Well first lets focus on who the character would be in a SPRPG. It's not going to be someone who's lost their connection to the force and is trying to get it back. Its not going to be Revan or the Exile. My guess is you would play as an ordinary Jedi. Now put this in the context of an MMO. Fits perfectly the way I see it.
Have to agree with you. Would btw be the only way you have force powers WITHOUT losing your connection to force or your mind before.:P


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lineker
Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.
HQ|Delta 07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #134
teodesetkata
Rookie
 
teodesetkata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 90
Actually BioWare and LucasArts can be making anything at this point.

But, whatever it is, I may not be playing new Star Wars game this year, because:
- New Star Wars Games: Not for PC (Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, The Force Unleashed)
- Or multiplayer games that require monthly fees.

It's a shame.

Quote:
Did you see the date on that? 8 months ago...a lot can change in that time!

He also said currently
Yes, but he also said "we have no plans to start".

EDIT: At any rate, I think BioWare and LA will keep us waiting for a long time... Maybe they'll announce what game they are planning to do in 2008...
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #135
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata
Yes, but he also said "we have no plans to start".
Yes, at that point, he's not a psychic AFAIK, they might have started the plans to start after that, it has been 8 months since that quote like I said...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #136
teodesetkata
Rookie
 
teodesetkata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 90
There is still hope, yes...
My hope is that we will be told by LA/BioWare what this "interactive product" is soon.
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #137
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata
Actually BioWare and LucasArts can be making anything at this point.

But, whatever it is, I may not be playing new Star Wars game this year, because:
- New Star Wars Games: Not for PC (Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, The Force Unleashed)
- Or multiplayer games that require monthly fees.

It's a shame.
sadly, that's my stance too. I can't afford a next-next gen console, heck I can barely afford the games for my Ps2 and those are all cheap now. And I aboslutly refuse to pay monthly fees. I don't care HOW good a game is. Charge me 60 bucks for a game? fine. Charge me 50 bucks for the game and then 15 a month? HA!

EDIT: FU(Force Unleashed), is for PS2, so it's possible there I'll play that.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #138
Millnsy
Lurker
 
Millnsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata
There is still hope, yes...
My hope is that we will be told by LA/BioWare what this "interactive product" is soon.
ok why do you guys want it to be a mmo? i'm sure if u played the last 2 games u will know it's better as a sp. and bioware/la only just announced to do a project, so biowares mmo started to get made in 2006. for some reasons i dont think they would announced them working together now if it was a mmo, since the game has been gettin made since 2005. just stupid if u ask me. kotor should stay single player has that is what people fell in love with it for, and 1000's of jedi's runing round when they aint many left is just a stupid idea. they ment to be a dying race on old republic. so it would be a rubbish mmo. everyone who is a true fan of kotor will know it's best kept how it is if there gonna make it. and la have allways said they aint gonna let kotor fade away. why dont u guys chill has a proper announcement will be made at e3 in july i bet ya.
Millnsy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #139
teodesetkata
Rookie
 
teodesetkata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millnsy
ok why do you guys want it to be a mmo? i'm sure if u played the last 2 games u will know it's better as a sp. and bioware/la only just announced to do a project, so biowares mmo started to get made in 2006. for some reasons i dont think they would announced them working together now if it was a mmo, since the game has been gettin made since 2005. just stupid if u ask me. kotor should stay single player has that is what people fell in love with it for, and 1000's of jedi's runing round when they aint many left is just a stupid idea. they ment to be a dying race on old republic. so it would be a rubbish mmo. everyone who is a true fan of kotor will know it's best kept how it is if there gonna make it. and la have allways said they aint gonna let kotor fade away. why dont u guys chill has a proper announcement will be made at e3 in july i bet ya.
You haven't read my previous post. I don't want the game to be MMO. I want it to be SP.
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #140
Millnsy
Lurker
 
Millnsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata
You haven't read my previous post. I don't want the game to be MMO. I want it to be SP.
i know mate just saying as other people keep going on about the bioware mmo. i clicked reply on wrong box soz
Millnsy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #141
HQ|Delta 07
Rookie
 
HQ|Delta 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 70
Hm just because it's singleplayer doesn't mean it sucks as an MMORPG. Warcraft had three SP games + add-ons. The difference is: They had a finished story. And since KotOR always has two different endings(LS + DS) it would be best to settle it during a game.

Because:

- People want lightsabers and the force
- jedis and sith

Now if you look at these "requests" the only real choice to me is the KotOR 1 time. Both sith & jedi/Republic fight an open war.

KotOR II is more like a stealth war. Most people think that the jedi & sith are both gone. So it would be kinda stupid if there are thounsands of jedis. And the only sith you encounter on the "street" are the assassins. Not like in KotOR I whre you encounter a lot of them(Tatooine, Kashyyyk...).

Now during the Mandalorian Wars: Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm not really informed about the Mandalorian Wars) but at that point the Sith were gone. Canderous says something like that in KotOR1. Revan and Malak built a new empire, but during the Wars they were jedi. So you would cut out players who want force powers and be DS.


But that's just my opinion. Who knows if that game even has anything to do with Star Wars. It's most likely, yes, but we don't know for sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lineker
Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.
HQ|Delta 07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #142
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
More to the point, why must it be a KotOR MMORPG?

If people are dying for a Star Wars MMORPG, then that's one thing. What I don't get is why it must be set in the KotOR era of Revan and exile? That will only conflict with the one era of the old republic that we probably know the most about. It would be far, far more convenient to go back or forward an hundred years or more, but oh no - lots of people insist that it must be right in time period of the KotOR games.

If the argument is that there it makes more sense in the old republic because there were more jedi, then fine, but there are still thousands of years of untold Star Wars history to place such a thing in and establish a background to suit such a setting.

I know I'm not going to play an MMORPG (or a console game), but I don't mind if others do. A MMORPG does not fit with the deep storytelling formula of the previous KotOR games, and I want to see a KotOR3 that finishes the story that began in the previous games.

I don't understand why people even argue that the successor to TSL should be an MMORPG. It makes no sense to me. I don't see how you can finish what is essentially a heavy plot-driven story like that. An MMORPG is just not suitable for that.

But you could certainly make an MMORPG for Star Wars in, well, pretty much any other time period. Why is that not good enough? Why is it apparently necessary to put the MMO in as a replacement for a single-player KotOR3?


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #143
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Because people love the KotOR universe. Why introduce a new time period when the KotOR time is already popular?


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #144
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Because people love the KotOR universe. Why introduce a new time period when the KotOR time is already popular?
That's right. And they could include the KotOR name on it. The money equation!


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #145
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Because people love the KotOR universe. Why introduce a new time period when the KotOR time is already popular?
Because lots of fans of the original games such as myself will be alienated?

If people want Star Wars MMORPG, then fine, but it cannot finish the ongoing plot, and I don't see why LA needs to go out of their way to step on the toes of people who supported the last two games in the series. Which is precisely what a KotOR MMORPG set in Revan/exile's time will feel like to me.

LA will not make mony on me from a KotOR MMORPG, because I will not be playing it. I will be buying and playing a single-player KotOR3, however. So the question is more like whether the MMO-fans will refuse to play the game unless it's KotOR. I don't think they will.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #146
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Oh don't make it so personal. You make it sound like LA is out to get all the SPRPG fans. And its not like I'm not a fan of the original games. KotOR 1 is my favorite game of all time. Its fine to share your problems with the idea of an MMO but don't make it sound like they apply to all KotOR fans.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #147
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
LA will not make mony on me from a KotOR MMORPG, because I will not be playing it. I will be buying and playing a single-player KotOR3, however. So the question is more like whether the MMO-fans will refuse to play the game unless it's KotOR. I don't think they will.
Will they make any money from you if the MMORPG is set on another time period?


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #148
Jvstice
Junior Member
 
Jvstice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQ|Delta 07
Now during the Mandalorian Wars: Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm not really informed about the Mandalorian Wars) but at that point the Sith were gone. Canderous says something like that in KotOR1. Revan and Malak built a new empire, but during the Wars they were jedi. So you would cut out players who want force powers and be DS.
That's not exactly true. There were dark Jedi who followed Revan. They were not out in the open Dark Jedi at the time, but there were Dark Jedi in his army during the mandalorian wars. They just started out as Jedi and were corrupted with time, so you'd still have the choice.
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #149
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Also, would it be so unreal to think the it might be a game like NWN where you can do both SP as well as MMO gaming? I'm thinking that might be a good compromise if they tackle it well...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #150
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Oh don't make it so personal. You make it sound like LA is out to get all the SPRPG fans. And its not like I'm not a fan of the original games. KotOR 1 is my favorite game of all time. Its fine to share your problems with the idea of an MMO but don't make it sound like they apply to all KotOR fans.
Nor have I ever said so. But it's not like I'm the only person in existence who like the KotOR games but don't want to play the KotOR MMORPG, so doing that WILL mean alienating a certain part of the KotOR community. Not all, no, and frankly I'm not sure how many, but I've scarcely been the only one here voicing that position.

Indeed, I might equally spin it the other way and ask why you suggest that doing KotOR MMORPG won't alienate anyone and will be accepted by all when there is clear indications that is not the case.

And, of course, your position also does not apply to all KotOR fans.

Besides, my question remains...

Why should this MMORPG be set in the KotOR era, when it will both alienate a portion of the fanbase while also not fitting with the on-going plot of the previous games?

TSL needs a spiritual sequel. It has an open ending begging for closure. Star Wars MMORPG, on the other hand, has no need of KotOR whatsoever, since this new game is a blank canvas. Just go anywhere from 100 to, say, 3000 years after TSL, and the deves can do pretty much whatever they want. Why is that not an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Will they make any money from you if the MMORPG is set on another time period?
No, but it would leave the option of doing K3, where they would.

In short, doing the MMORPG as part of the KotOR series will mean the KotOR games are dead to me, whereas doing the MMORPG in another time period means that I can at least still be considered a potential customer.

Now, which is better for LA in the long run?


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #151
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!
 
Negative Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tropical Scotland
Posts: 2,683
Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
I totally agree with Jediphile though, if it has to be set in the general KotOR era, please don't let it be part of K1 and/or 2 and just go a different direction with it, so KotOR 3 still has a chance to be great when it comes...



"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #152
The Architect
Junior Member
 
The Architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 413
Hell, another thing you have to consider is; how could KotOR3 even work as a MMORPG when there are barely any Jedi left by the nearby post-TSL era, which is what K3 should be set in, if you wanted it to have any meaningful connection to K1 & K2.


"Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I ****, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

~ Bill Hicks
The Architect is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #153
John Galt
Junior Member
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
I totally agree with Jediphile though, if it has to be set in the general KotOR era, please don't let it be part of K1 and/or 2 and just go a different direction with it, so KotOR 3 still has a chance to be great when it comes...
I think it would, just so they could have more sociopolitical situations to play with, regarding factions.

I hope they start out during the Exar Kun War, or maybe the Mandolorian Wars, just so they have a lot of history to play with before they start infringing on KotOR 1 and 2. Which, truthfully, all they'd have to do is avoid a few planets, it's not like Star Wars has any shortage of interesting locales to play with.





Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Bse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #154
Taos
Jedi Council Member
 
Taos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Puget Sound, Wa
Posts: 5,725
Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Besides, my question remains...

Why should this MMORPG be set in the KotOR era, when it will both alienate a portion of the fanbase while also not fitting with the on-going plot of the previous games?
Because no matter what they do, they can not possibly please everyone, so why bother trying?

Quote:
Just go anywhere from 100 to, say, 3000 years after TSL, and the deves can do pretty much whatever they want. Why is that not an option?
Who says it isn't? But when it comes down to it, sometimes the most simple answer is often the most accurate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
...And they could include the KotOR name on it. The money equation!
If it is in fact a mmo in the Kotor era, it's because of the all-mighty dollar.

Now how long of a time period is considered to be this "kotor era?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
....if it has to be set in the general KotOR era, please don't let it be part of K1 and/or 2 and just go a different direction with it, so KotOR 3 still has a chance to be great when it comes...
Now all things being said, I also agree with this. I would much rather have them do this because it leaves room to make a kotor 3 with a good story and it would also allow this rumored mmo more freedom.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #155
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
That's no problem, Architect. Look at Galaxies! It's set at some indeterminate date around the Battle of Yavin, when almost every Jedi was supposed to be dead or hiding. Except for the ones in Theed, running around in robes and lightsabers and somehow avoiding the ire of Darth Vader.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #156
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Indeed, I might equally spin it the other way and ask why you suggest that doing KotOR MMORPG won't alienate anyone and will be accepted by all when there is clear indications that is not the case.
Nothing will please everyone. I never meant to imply that I thought this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
And, of course, your position also does not apply to all KotOR fans.
Never said it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Besides, my question remains...

Why should this MMORPG be set in the KotOR era, when it will both alienate a portion of the fanbase while also not fitting with the on-going plot of the previous games?
I already answered this. The KotOR universe is arguably the most popular time period on the SW calendar outside of the movies. If the game LA is working on is an MMO, I think it would be silly for them not to capitalize on that fact and base the game in some other period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
In short, doing the MMORPG as part of the KotOR series will mean the KotOR games are dead to me, whereas doing the MMORPG in another time period means that I can at least still be considered a potential customer.

Now, which is better for LA in the long run?
An MMO, because it will keep players playing and paying for years.

Also I just want to add to this that I would love to see both an MMO (which is probably what they're making now) and KotOR 3, but I don't see any way this would happen. I would be very happy with either an MMO or a SPRPG from this project. However I'm defending the MMO's points because I see that to be the most likely outcome.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #157
The Architect
Junior Member
 
The Architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
That's no problem, Architect. Look at Galaxies! It's set at some indeterminate date around the Battle of Yavin, when almost every Jedi was supposed to be dead or hiding. Except for the ones in Theed, running around in robes and lightsabers and somehow avoiding the ire of Darth Vader.
Oh it is a problem. It doesn't make any sense for thousands of Jedi and Sith to suddenly be running around killing each other when umm... there's supposed to be hardly any left.

No explanation for it is stupid. On such a basis, you might as well just have K3 be about a massive army of Ewoks on steroids attempting to conquer the galaxy. There numbers have gone through the roof and they're now evil because umm... I made it that way.

LA would be foolish to disregard the awesome plot potential KotOR3 has as a SPRPG. The plot, the characters, the dialogue choices... can you have all that awesome stuff that made K1 & K2 awesome in a MMORPG? From what I've heard, you can't, so just why exactly would someone want to fix something that ain't broke?


"Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I ****, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

~ Bill Hicks
The Architect is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #158
John Galt
Junior Member
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect
Oh it is a problem. It doesn't make any sense for thousands of Jedi and Sith to suddenly be running around killing each other when umm... there's supposed to be hardly any left.

No explanation for it is stupid. On such a basis, you might as well just have K3 be about a massive army of Ewoks on steroids attempting to conquer the galaxy. There numbers have gone through the roof and they're now evil because umm... I made it that way.

LA would be foolish to disregard the awesome plot potential KotOR3 has as a SPRPG. The plot, the characters, the dialogue choices... can you have all that awesome stuff that made K1 & K2 awesome in a MMORPG? From what I've heard, you can't, so just why exactly would someone want to fix something that ain't broke?
If anything, a KotOR MMO would ensure that K3 is made, as they'd eventually need more plot for the MMO. They definitely could not continue the plot of the previous two games with an MMO, and it would be supremely unwise for them to try.

If a MMO is made, it would most certainly be "KotOR-era," as in keeping the general aesthetic and sociopolitical climate, but would be set a little earlier, or a little later than the SPRPG's, maybe eventually overlapping in expansions. Personally I'd like it if they started with the mandalorian wars, and continued through "history" with expansions into the lull between the wars, and eventually into the early Jedi Civil War.





Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Bse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #159
smhiggz
Rookie
 
smhiggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 20
Hopefully this will put this arguement about storytelling (or lack thereof) in an MMORPG to rest

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155486

It's a bit old but I think that it answers the questions about whether Bioware will be able to deliver an immersive storytelling experience in their mmo.
smhiggz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #160
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
That's no problem, Architect. Look at Galaxies! It's set at some indeterminate date around the Battle of Yavin, when almost every Jedi was supposed to be dead or hiding. Except for the ones in Theed, running around in robes and lightsabers and somehow avoiding the ire of Darth Vader.

And except the 21437210437290 jedi players out there running around in the whole game doing stupid stuff.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

Tags
nerd rage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.