lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #241
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Or not an RPG, but I don't think Bioware makes non-RPGs. Sweet. I kind of hope it's not KotoR III, to be honest. Another series would be cool.
Students of the Indiana Jones' Seminar Series!

Uh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #242
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Students of the Indiana Jones' Seminar Series!

Uh...
QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an imposter on this forum

Come to think of it...

Do you all think it's possible BioWare cold be working on two MMOs at the same time? I doubt it, they could possibly come into direct competition with each other, which wouldn't be good business would it?

My KotOR 3 hopes have raised by 11.92% again

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #243
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslsss
I just now noticed, at the bioware website, on the drop down menu for bioware games, it lists the lucasarts/bioware game separate from the mmo and the next gen game. So, would that mean they are different games, and bioware is not doing a mmo with lucasarts?
Thanks for pointing this out and welcome to Lucasforums!

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this could be a good sign. KotOR 3 was the first thing that came to mind when I heard of this deal.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #244
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Maybe I'm overanalyzing this but the word interactive they use still bugs me...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #245
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^^^
Same here.

Like I said: I don't want to get my hopes up.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #246
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
It could also be that Bioware heard the cries of people wanting KotOR3 that would never play an MMO... It is also possible that the MMO would somehow tie in to this new interactive project. It is also possible that the information from "source close to bioware" was WRONG! Of course there is another possibility that wouldn't sit well with some on here. That the MMO is the project that they are working on with LA and just don't want to give too much information away KNOWING how frequently people are looking for clues as to whatever the project is.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #247
aerowars617
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an imposter on this forum

Come to think of it...

Do you all think it's possible BioWare cold be working on two MMOs at the same time? I doubt it, they could possibly come into direct competition with each other, which wouldn't be good business would it?

My KotOR 3 hopes have raised by 11.92% again
I suppose its possible for BioWare to have 2 separate genres of MMO's out there, one for the sci fi/Star Wars fans and one to compete with WoW?
Probably best to wait & see... I hope I'm wrong, I want KotOR 3 as much as the next person!

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
aerowars617 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #248
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
^^^^

I find that unlikely. The resources they would have have to sacrifice would be too great. It's better to concentrate on a single MMO project. Besides, the two games would compete against each other.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #249
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
QFT, anyone who hopes it's not KotOR 3 made by BioWare is clearly an impostor on this forum
I am not an impostor. I find that Bioware RPGs have a tendency to be cliched plots. I would much rather that Obsidian did KotOR 3. While I am not thrilled with the plot of NWN 2. I love Chris A.'s work on KotOR 2 and Josh Sawyer's work with Mask of the Betrayer. Plus Josh has some interesting ideas make a NWN 2 module out of the remains Blackhound (What was supposed to be BG 3).

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #250
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
^ looolz!

You're absolutely right!
There goes about half the speculation and pointless MMO debating in this thread
From the site:

Groovy!
Not necessarily. It doesn't make it any more likely to be a sprpg then a mmo.

I believe they put it like that for the casual gamer who might "stumble" upon the site and check out the games list and say "oh wow, Bioware and Lucasarts are making a new game, that will be one to keep an eye out for." Because if it's not an mmo and if it's not a next-gen game......but an "interactive" one...what the hell does that mean? lol

Alas, we are left here to speculate...which is probably what they want anyways, because it brings more attention to the game itself [as if it needed more lol].

On a side note, I just can't wait to read all of the "I told you so" posts whenever we get an announcement.

For me, if it's Bioware and Kotor, I'm all over it, no matter sprpg or mmorpg.

edit - post 5,555 cool lol

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #251
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
See the thing of it is, It doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't either the MMO that Bioware is currently working nor a seperate project. Since they don't want to comment on the MMO, if they removed the MMO they are working on and put up the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" they would in essence be confirming that the MMO IS the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" and we would have our answer.

Does it necessarily have to be that? No. It could very well be Monkey Island Adventures. The MMO could be Firefly Online(I wish haha but that's me) since that would not be their own IP and Multiverse has not announced who the developer for FFO is. Is it likely? Probably not. It is far more likely that they do not want to comment on the MMO nor the "Lucasarts/Bioware Interactive Product" as saying one is or isn't the other would give away more than they want to(though I expect "is").

Besides, Look at all the hype it is getting. Bioware hasn't said hardly anything. Yet you see the mounds of attention this blurb is getting. Viral marketing at its best...

IF however we see a "leaked" screenshot in January, then I might start standing firmly on the MMO side.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #252
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Here is something interesting I just stumbled across. Like anything else it's still pure speculation, but I really like the sound of it. I would prefer the mmo in this timeline vs the kotor one [which means there could still be a kotor 3 if this were true]. Now I've never read any of the EU, I just know the very basics. Still lots of things you could explore in this era.....

Quote:
Last month, LucasArts withdrew Star Wars MMO rights from SOE.
@.@

Quote:
Yes, that’s correct! Bioware will be developing a completely new Star Wars MMO based on Star Wars lore following the events of the movies.
Take a look for yourself!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #253
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemu Taos
Here is something interesting I just stumbled across. Like anything else it's still pure speculation, but I really like the sound of it. I would prefer the mmo in this timeline vs the kotor one [which means there could still be a kotor 3 if this were true]. Now I've never read any of the EU, I just know the very basics. Still lots of things you could explore in this era.....

@.@

Take a look for yourself!
I hope the site you are quoting is right.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #254
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Anything not from an official source I'll take with a grain (or maybe several shakers) of salt, but here's to it being true. A post-RotJ MMO should mean the death blow for any hopes of a KotOR one.

Unfortunately looks to be no evidence at all that points towards its truth. Where did they even get those numbers for SWG players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:58 AM   #255
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
That would be an interesting turn of events. It would be very nice to have a Star Wars MMO that I could tell people I play without having them look at me like I eat babies for breakfast.

I would rather it be set in that era myself. It would explain how someone would think that it was set in KotOR era as well... Bioware style, unfamiliar territories, people they aren't familiar with.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #256
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Hmmm...it would be a nice time setting. The Republic and the Empire fighting over worlds, with many unexplored planets...

Everyone who read the books would recall, Mykr, Wayland, Sluis Van...all (relatively) unknown planets.

Too bad it would rule out an Kotor-time MMO.

We shall see what the future holds for SW gaming

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #257
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
That would be bad, post ROTJ is just... Bad, IMO. it's taken until 130 ABY to get there act together. ouch

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #258
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I've got to agree with Emperor Devon. This Kyle Maguire guy doesn't provide any sources for where he obtained any of his info. How does he know that "LucasArts withdrew Star Wars MMO rights from SOE?" The only thing I could verify is that there are no SWG products for sale at Sony's Station.com Store but I don't follow SWG so I don't know if that has been the case for some time or this happened more recently. I also will be very surprised if LucasArts and BioWare make an MMOG in the Thrawn era.

Star Wars: Hand of Thrawn =

I thought Thrawn was a great character but that title sounds more like an expansion than a core game and IMHO an MMORPG title shouldn't be focused on a single character. Anyway, makes me wonder if someone is pulling this guy's leg.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #259
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Yeah, I checked Lucasarts.com and all it says is that they've teamed up, and that release of their project idea will come at a later date. So basically, the "Hand of Thrawn" MMO is just a rumour he must have picked up on. I don't trust rumours, only facts.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #260
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I checked Lucasarts.com and all it says is that they've teamed up, and that release of their project idea will come at a later date. So basically, the "Hand of Thrawn" MMO is just a rumour he must have picked up on. I don't trust rumours, only facts.
Well spoken.

There are no exact details right now, just hearsay.

Last edited by southern_fox; 11-26-2007 at 10:51 AM.
southern_fox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #261
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Hmm, I'd definitely prefer a Kotor mmo over a post-RotJ one and sounds like that article was bogus. It has been removed from that site for now it looks like.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #262
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, at least Lucas would be smart enough not to team up with $ony this time.

We know how good $ony is when it comes to MMO management as seen in swg. Largest subscribers, korean fans, great commercial, wonderous exposure, most successful mmo, and even celebs like Mr. T ... OH WAIT! THAT'S WoW. What did $ony do for swg? Oh yeah, successfully ruining it by reducing the number of subscribers, kindly ignore what the players want, and zero advertizing.

I would hate to see those guys getting their hands on any mmo title again, ever.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #263
Darca Lar
Forumite

Yeah, they screwed SWG when they modified it.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #264
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Well, at least Lucas would be smart enough not to team up with $ony this time.

What did $ony do for swg? Oh yeah, successfully ruining it by reducing the number of subscribers, kindly ignore what the players want, and zero advertizing.
Yeah they never did a lot of advertising. It's funny, they just figured because it's "star wars" that people would flock to it, no matter how many bugs there were. WoW was sucessful from the start because of how polished it was from the word go. Granted their launch wasn't all that great, but I don't think many care at this point now. lol

Quote:
I would hate to see those guys getting their hands on any mmo title again, ever.
I won't be playing any SoE mmo's anytime soon.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #265
Darca Lar
Forumite

I never played and SoE mmo, but I'm not gonna start anytime soon.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #266
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Hmm, I'd definitely prefer a Kotor mmo over a post-RotJ one and sounds like that article was bogus. It has been removed from that site for now it looks like.
Yeah I noticed they pulled it a few days ago. Some of those details seemed pretty far fetched [soe license getting pulled among others]. Alas I bring it up anyways to encourage more discussion on the topic.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #267
teodesetkata
Rookie

What has happened since the announcement?
Has BioWare or LucasArts told us anything? KotOR? If yes, KotOR MMO or SP?
Or we will have to wait...
Or have they at least said when they'll reveal the secret?
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #268
Darca Lar
Forumite

They are going to reveal at a later date, that's all they said. And it hasn't come yet, so you will have to wait. I don't care really, because I at least know they're working on something big.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #269
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
All we really have is hope...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #270
Darca Lar
Forumite

Well it's a lot more than we had a couple months back.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 AM   #271
schirminater
Rookie

I, as much as any of you, want KOTOR 3 to be a reality. If anyone has said what I'm about to say, I'm apologizing now. Correct me if I'm wrong but before this new anouncement LA and BW have stated they are for sure NOT making a KOTOR 3 together. Its very likely that this partnership could be for a whole different game. They say they are making an "Innovative New Game". KOTOR 1 and 2 were so perfect, what is there to innovate? When I hear the phrase above I think of something completely new, like The Force Unleashed, and I just don't see how or why they would change KOTOR or "innovate" it. All I need is a new story line and I'll be the happiest person alive. Sorry if I don't reply to any replies to this but I don't make it to these boards too often.
schirminater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #272
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Interactive product=video game?

I know this has bothered quite a few persons here and I thought about it too. Primarily, what does it mean?

Well, I was reading a press conference done by some big company executive who I don't care about but does work or has a hand in the video game industry. See, he was talking about "interactive entertainment". Now I went:" Why would this guy talk about interactive entertainment?"
Then it struck me. Everywhere in his speech, where there was supposed to be the word "video game", there was "interactive entertainment". See where I'm getting at? No? Ok, a bit of clarification.

Many words change over time. The evolution of mentalities usually bring those changes along. The best example would be comic books. Originally, kids read comic books. It was aimed at kids. Then it changed mainly because they grew up. The industry followed. What happened next then? Those books got more mature. Suddenly, they were getting attention as serious works of art. Then the name changed. No longer should they be called comic books; that's for kids! So came along the term "graphic novel".

So replace the term "comic book" with "video game" in the above paragraph and the term "graphic novel" for "interactive entertainment". See?

Now, this is in no way an indication of a KotOR 3 being made, it's only to silence the "It-could-be-anything-because-they-call-it-an-interactive-product" crowd. It could be a game for mobile phones for all I know...

Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #273
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
"Interactive product" and "video game" have been used interchangeably for a long time.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #274
Corinthian
Banned

By who, Prime? Most Video Game designers don't call it that. It's possible that LucasArts told BioWare to call it that, although I find that rather unlikely. When someone talks about "Interactive Entertainment" I think of old school stuff like Space Ace. The "Press J or Die", ad nauseum. I'm probably wrong, but I can't help but get that feeling every time I look on BioWare's page.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #275
Darca Lar
Forumite

Well stop lookin'. Simple. Look, it's just a game after all.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #276
Devilsfanatic

It's KOTOR III, don't have a source on this, but it's KOTOR III

Source, my mind.

Darth Milhouse
Devilsfanatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #277
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Wha..?

Whoa. What is up with this sudden "Oh, if its an MMO, that will be just fine, red, red wine, makes me feel so fine." attitude?
An MMO would ruin this game.
I use to be an avid player of the Warcraft RTS games...which were RUINED by WoW.
I now have to pay monthly, and level a hero to 70, before I can even gain any really cool game content. Which, by the way, ruins any type of real life any person has. Not to mention they completley ruin most of the major characters by making them "Bosses."

"O, hey guys! I just finished raiding the Malachor V Dungeon, and killed Scion! He dropped an epic Darkside Lightsaber! I'll tell you about it latter though, I have to get 2 hours of sleep before I go to work."
Did I mention that to kill him you would also need 39 other level 70 players help? Lol?
For the love of god. Keep it an RPG.

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...

Last edited by JediMasterJambi; 12-04-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: I said Mandalor Instead of Malachor :D
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #278
teodesetkata
Rookie

A friend of mine told me that there'll be KOTOR 3 but it will be a MMO and that it was confirmed. Is that true?
Quote:
Whoa. What is up with this sudden "Oh, if its an MMO, that will be just fine, red, red wine, makes me feel so fine." attitude?
I use to be an avid player of the Warcraft RTS games...which were RUINED by WoW.
I now have to pay monthly, and level a hero to 70, before I can even gain any really cool game content. Which, by the way, ruins any type of real life any person has. Not to mention they completley ruin most of the major characters by making them "Bosses."

"O, hey guys! I just finished raiding the Malachor V Dungeon, and killed Scion! He dropped an epic Darkside Lightsaber! I'll tell you about it latter though, I have to get 2 hours of sleep before I go to work."
Did I mention that to kill him you would also need 39 other level 70 players help? Lol?
I just can't agree more! You just took my words from my mouth. That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #279
Corinthian
Banned

Agreed. WoW may be the best MMO on the market right now, but it shot the WoW story to Hell. Oh, look, Illidan apparently has an infinite supply of Ankhs of Reincarnation. And in the next expansion, Arthas returns to be killable. Crap.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #280
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterJambi

Well, Scion is dead and you're assuming they take the standard MMO route which Blizzard did with WoW. Of course, having 40 players face a single Sith Master would be totally ridiculous, something that doesn't make much sense in the Star Wars context, as opposed to the WarCraft one.

As far as WoW goes, heroes from the previous games turning into bosses was something bound to happen. If it wasn't included, people would request to face them.

By the way, if someone doesn't have enough self-control to stop playing when he has to stop playing WoW, well, too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Agreed. WoW may be the best MMO on the market right now, but it shot the WoW story to Hell. Oh, look, Illidan apparently has an infinite supply of Ankhs of Reincarnation. And in the next expansion, Arthas returns to be killable. Crap.
Holy crap, while playing Battlefield 1942, I had to re-fight Omaha Beach 6000 times after taking it from the Germans! Dear god! That's the same for every multiplayer game? Oh the humanity! What have they done to World War II?!

By the way, Illidan is ultimately killed with the help of Maev Shadowsong and Akama. This is not against WarCraft lore at all. Remember how you had something else then heroes in WC3 that helped you defeat other heroes? Yeah.
There's no indication that Arthas will die at the end of the next Expansion. Kel'Thuzad and Kael'thas live even though players can confront them.

EDIT: By the way, there's a part in the game where Malfurion Stormrage speaks about his brother which seems to indicate that Illidan's story is not over.

Last edited by lukeiamyourdad; 12-04-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

Tags
nerd rage