lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #281
Corinthian
Banned

Uh..I said that, not Jambi.

My point is that characters are killed repeatedly. It shoots the story to hell. Yeah, it was bound to happen, but it doesn't make it good for WarCraft plot. Every major character is eventually going to get killed at this rate.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #282
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
And that's when the NEW major characters come in to play!

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #283
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Uh..I said that, not Jambi.

My point is that characters are killed repeatedly. It shoots the story to hell. Yeah, it was bound to happen, but it doesn't make it good for WarCraft plot. Every major character is eventually going to get killed at this rate.

Corrected the quoting mistake.

Quoting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
By the way, Illidan is ultimately killed with the help of Maev Shadowsong and Akama. This is not against WarCraft lore at all. Remember how you had something else then heroes in WC3 that helped you defeat other heroes? Yeah.
There's no indication that Arthas will die at the end of the next Expansion. Kel'Thuzad and Kael'thas live even though players can confront them.

EDIT: By the way, there's a part in the game where Malfurion Stormrage speaks about his brother which seems to indicate that Illidan's story is not over.
So there you have it. No one is sure to have died up to now in WoW. What I will agree on is how the plot simply isn't as deep.

Kel'Thuzad's phylactery was not destroyed and fell into the hands of Father Inigo Montoy but wasn't destroyed and never reached the hands of the Argent Dawn. It means Kel'Thuzad will probably be ressurected some day.

Malfurion's speech with Keeper Remulos after slaying one of the green dragons indicate that Illidan still has a role to play in the future. In what form, no one knows, but it's not certain he simply died forever. Even so, that makes a one major character of the WarCraft universe who was killed in WoW.

Kael'thas Sunstrider didn't die during the player's confrontation with him. This is made clear after you turn in proof of his supposed demise to A'dal. He issues a warning to the inhabitants of Shattrath City.

The other character that is killed in WoW is Lady Vashj. Which wasn't a very developed one to start with, nor a particularly popular hero back in the day.

No one knows what will happen to Arthas for now.

So the argument that they're blindly killing every major character is based on misinformation. Thrall, Jaina Proudmoore, Rexxar, Tyrande Whisperwind, Malfurion Stormrage, Shandris Feathermoon, Maev Shadowsong, Cairne Bloodhoof, Akama, etc. have not been touched. The body count up to now, is 2-ish (assuming Illidan never makes a return). Again, I agree that the story probably isn't as fleshed out then in the RTS, which they said they would change in Arthas' case with Wrath of the Lich King. How that will turn out, I don't know.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #284
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well for all we care maybe there won't be a KotOR MMO... Maybe its the Monkey Island MMO?
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #285
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Warcraft Is One Hell Of A Drug

Quote:
Well, Scion is dead and you're assuming they take the standard MMO route which Blizzard did with WoW. Of course, having 40 players face a single Sith Master would be totally ridiculous, something that doesn't make much sense in the Star Wars context, as opposed to the WarCraft one.

As far as WoW goes, heroes from the previous games turning into bosses was something bound to happen. If it wasn't included, people would request to face them.

By the way, if someone doesn't have enough self-control to stop playing when he has to stop playing WoW, well, too bad.
WoW is one of the most popular (And biggest money making.) MMOs of ALL TIME. George Lucas is greedy. Star Wars Galaxies sucked. Lets do the math here . Lucas wants a cut of that delicious MMO pie that Blizzard has.

As far as Starwars goes, heroes from the pervious games turning into bosses will be somthing bound to happen. If it wasn't included, people would request to face them.

The first step to beating an addiction, is admitting that you are addicted. I think everyone here will agree with me. COMPUTER GAMES ARE ADDICTIVE. Just as much as any drug, except without the side-effects.

Quote:
So the argument that they're blindly killing every major character is based on misinformation. Thrall, Jaina Proudmoore, Rexxar, Tyrande Whisperwind, Malfurion Stormrage, Shandris Feathermoon, Maev Shadowsong, Cairne Bloodhoof, Akama, etc. have not been touched. The body count up to now, is 2-ish (assuming Illidan never makes a return). Again, I agree that the story probably isn't as fleshed out then in the RTS, which they said they would change in Arthas' case with Wrath of the Lich King. How that will turn out, I don't know.
Now I never did say that they were killing off every singal hero. But I will say that they are doing the EXACT OPPOSITE.
They suposedly killed off Illidan, Khadgar, Turalyon, Kurdan and Skyree, Danath, Alleria, Dalvyngir, Balnazzar, Terron Gorefiend, Deathwing, Cenarius, Archimonde, and Magtheridon. BUT, they brought all these heros BACK TO LIFE when the WoW expansion and WoW was released.

Reviving old heros because they're running out of new material. And its getting worse.
Elves allying Trolls AND Undead!?
3 diffrent species of Eredar? The "Good" cousins of Archimonde?
And more recently, Zul'jin appears without an arm or eye? Instead of uniting the Troll tribes, he comes out of Zul'Aman and declares war on the world. WoW is ruining the Warcraft storyline, turning its heroes into raidable bosses instead of what they actually should be. Heroes. And as seen with Arthas, they will continue to do so. They've already added time traveling dungeons to prove my point.

What if a KOTOR MMO came out and they brought Nhil back to life? And Malak? And Vandar? etc. etc. Just due to how popular the characters were? Are you saying they couldn't pull a Khadgar with Scion? They couldn't have him magically appear back to life? Cause they could, easily. And then what if people would wanted to fight Darth Vader?! LETS ADD A TIME TRAVELING DUNGEON!!! WEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
The only way an MMO for KoTOR would work, is if they did it Pre-KoTOR, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Well for all we care maybe there won't be a KotOR MMO... Maybe its the Monkey Island MMO?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _...-----~~~~~-----....___
. . . . . . . . . . . . . ..--~ ¯¯....................................¯ ¯--..
. . . . . . . . . . .../-.-....-~¯/............--~ ¯.-........................ ¯--..
. . . . . . . . . ...- /.- ¯ .. ./.......-- ¯ .. ..-.------~~~ ¯¯|..............-.\
. . . . . . . . . ./ .. ` .. .. /_- ¯ .. .. .. .` .. .. .. .. .. .|....................-...\
. . . . . . . . ./. --~~---. .. .. .. .. .. -----------.. .. .. .......................\
. . . . . . . .--- ¯¯¯¯¯~--. .. .. .. .. .-- ¯¯¯¯¯¯--. .. .. .. ¯..................|
. . . . . . . \. ~~~~~~~--.) .. .. .. .-~~~~~~----. .. .. .. .|............ /
. . . . . . . ./..~~o~~-.- .. .. .. .`-.---~o~------. .. .. .. ..| _ .........\
. . . . . . . / .. ¯~----.- .. .. .. .. .. ..`¯~~~-~¯` .. .. .. .. .|.-`..`¯..|
. . . . . ..-/ .. .¯¯¯ /` .. .. .. .. .. .. .. `¯¯-- .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ........./
. . . . . ./ .. .. .. ../ .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..-| |
. . . . ./ .. .. .. .. .\-.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. | . /
. . . . | .. .. .. .. .. .. ." .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .| .|
. . . . | .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..\/../
. . . . | .. .. .. .. .. . /¯---.-~~¯`¯ . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .../
. . . . .\ .. .. .. .. .. .-¯¯¯~~--~¯ .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ./
. . . . . \-. .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ./
. . . . . . \ .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ../.
. . . . . . . `-. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... .| Adam West Approves..
. . . . . . . . .\-. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .... .. .. ..|
. . . . . . . . . .| .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .....--- .. .. .. .|.¯`-.
. . . . . . . . . .`-..__ .. ...._ .. .. .. .. ....---- .. .. .. .. .. ..| : : :\---..
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ¯.-¯`/-.¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ .. .. .. .. ....--- /. .| : : : \. : : ¯~-..
. . . . . . . . . . ..--.-¯ : : .| . . ¯--..__ .. .. ....--- ¯¯. . . . ./ : : : : | : : : : : : ¯--..
. . . . . . . . .- ¯ : : : : :/. . . . . ./;;;\¯¯¯. . . . . . . ..- ¯/ : : : : :| : : : : : : : : ¯--.
...........- : : : : \-. : :. ¯-. . .-/;;;;;;;;\. . . . .

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...

Last edited by JediMasterJambi; 12-05-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Had to Fix My Adam West Up!!! :D
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #286
Darca Lar
Forumite

Actually Lucas just agrees to the projects and signs the rights over to the developers. He doesn't come up with the idea to do it. Same thing with the novels and games. But he is being kinda lame and lazy to NOT want to make any more movies.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #287
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterJambi
1-WoW is one of the most popular (And biggest money making.) MMOs of ALL TIME. George Lucas is greedy. Star Wars Galaxies sucked. Lets do the math here . Lucas wants a cut of that delicious MMO pie that Blizzard has.

2-As far as Starwars goes, heroes from the pervious games turning into bosses will be somthing bound to happen. If it wasn't included, people would request to face them.

3-The first step to beating an addiction, is admitting that you are addicted. I think everyone here will agree with me. COMPUTER GAMES ARE ADDICTIVE. Just as much as any drug, except without the side-effects.
1- I love this reasoning. As if an MMORPG was such a good cash cow, it was automatic profit. Of course, there is demand for a good Star Wars MMO, but it doesn't mean LA is a bunch of morons: they know such a game can fail and turn in deficits. Considering how Star Wars Galaxies went, the people would be skeptical if another game was made and quality would need to be there. It is no guaranteed success. They have to choose the right people to make such a game and wait for Galaxies to properly die.

Another thing is how nobody is going to "kill" WoW and not even Star Wars can do that. The market cannot be over-saturated with MMORPGs and they know that. Trying to hit them would just result in the market splitting and nobody winning anything. The reason for this is how people are mostly not willing to pay two subscriptions for two games.

2- Bull crap. It is well established that previous heroes are dead and miraculous comebacks are not something common with Star Wars. It would never work and I doubt people would request dead heroes. The problematic would be that these heroes are mostly villains. No one could face such characters as Canderous or HK-47. Hell, just make them NPCs and useful in the background story.
I mean, in the case of WoW, past heroes like Thrall and Tyrande are NPCs and practically unkillable.

3- Sure mate, whatever you say...

Quote:
Now I never did say that they were killing off every singal hero. But I will say that they are doing the EXACT OPPOSITE.
They suposedly killed off Illidan, Khadgar, Turalyon, Kurdan and Skyree, Danath, Alleria, Dalvyngir, Balnazzar, Terron Gorefiend, Deathwing, Cenarius, Archimonde, and Magtheridon. BUT, they brought all these heros BACK TO LIFE when the WoW expansion and WoW was released.

Reviving old heros because they're running out of new material. And its getting worse.
Elves allying Trolls AND Undead!?
3 diffrent species of Eredar? The "Good" cousins of Archimonde?
And more recently, Zul'jin appears without an arm or eye? Instead of uniting the Troll tribes, he comes out of Zul'Aman and declares war on the world. WoW is ruining the Warcraft storyline, turning its heroes into raidable bosses instead of what they actually should be. Heroes. And as seen with Arthas, they will continue to do so. They've already added time traveling dungeons to prove my point.
Ok...Illidan was not dead after his confrontation with Arthas at the end of Frozen Throne. The developers noted that due to time constraint a proper cinematic was not made. If that had been the case, no assumption about Illidan's survival would have been made as it would have shown him witnessing Arthas' transformation.

Khadgar, Turalyon, Alleria, Danath Trollbane and Kurdran were only presumed dead due to them being stuck in Outland. Considering the world survived (in WoW:FT), it isn't unlikely they did too.

Deathwing never died. The novel, Day of the Dragon, mentions him manipulating King Terenas. This was published in 2001, before WoW, so he was never "revived for WoW".

Cenarius is dead and so is Archimonde. Don't know how you can say they brought them back...

Balnazzar was a mistake by one of the writers. I'll grant you this one.

They say Magtheridon was supposedly defeated and enslaved by Illidan. However, I'll give you this one too.

Blood Elves- Yep, it seems quite weird and I agree to a certain extent. First off, the case of the Troll is quite different. Trolls in the Horder were not Forest Trolls but came from Islands Thrall stumbled upon them when crossing to Kalimdor. The mission was not included in the full game but was present in the demo. The Darkspear Trolls are now lead by Vol'jin, seen in Frozen Thrown during Rexxar's "campaign" and they never had any problems with the Blood Elves.
About the undead, they are lead by Sylvanas Windrunner, an ex-High Elve who seems to harbor some regret over her transformation. Nevertheless, the Forsaken allying with the Horde was already a strange turn of event, so I'll give you this too. It isn't much of a problem in the long run though and up to now has turned out just fine.

Draenei/Eredar- Metzen admitted he screwed up. It is indeed true that it was a mistake and they tried to do their best in patching up the hole in lore. It's not the end of the world and isn't so bad now, considering everything.

Zul'jin- I don't really see what the problem is. The video they made for Zul'Aman, it is made clear what happened to Zul'jin. Now, he doesn't unite the Troll tribes but that isn't a problem either. He united the tribes of Zul'Aman, not every tribe in Azeroth. Darkspear Trolls for example, are a different tribe and under the Horde, as shown in WarCraft.

Quote:
What if a KOTOR MMO came out and they brought Nhil back to life? And Malak? And Vandar? etc. etc. Just due to how popular the characters were? Are you saying they couldn't pull a Khadgar with Scion? They couldn't have him magically appear back to life? Cause they could, easily. And then what if people would wanted to fight Darth Vader?! LETS ADD A TIME TRAVELING DUNGEON!!! WEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
The only way an MMO for KoTOR would work, is if they did it Pre-KoTOR, IMHO
Yep, they can't pull any miraculous reincarnation. It's Star Wars after all. Now, Nihilus could be done, but who gives a crap about him? But as Force Ghost NPC, that's quite possible. After all, he did appear as such during the Legacy era starting in 130 ABY.

Time traveling is not impossible in the Warcraft universe and it was the best compromise to be able to play through those missions. Rhonin was thrown back in time in the "War of the Ancients" trilogy which was released in April 2004, before any plans for the Caverns of Time. It is clear that it is possible.

Such a thing would not be possible with a Star Wars game as it isn't in conformity with the universe.

And I've been saying for quite a while that the only way it could work and make as many people as possible happy would be to make it during the Mandalorian Wars, pre-KotOR...read the whole thread before posting...

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #288
Corinthian
Banned

It was never stated that ANY of the heroes in Beyond the Dark Portal were killed. In fact, considering that Ner'zhul survived, it would be foolish to think that they did die.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #289
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
It's KOTOR III, don't have a source on this, but it's KOTOR III
But do you really think that Avellone and co [at Obsidian] would be ok with handing the reigns back to Bioware after what happened with TSL? Admittedly, I don't know how much control over it they actually have, but I can bet they wouldn't be too happy. I know they want to do a kotor 3.

Quote:
Maybe its the Monkey Island MMO?
Why would Bioware use the Monkey Island IP as their first venture into the MMO world? Or even use Indiana Jones? Now of course they haven't announced that the Bio/LA 'interactive product' and the mmo that bioware is working on are one and the same. But if Bioware wants to come into the MMO market and make a dent into the monster that is WoW, the only way it can be done is with a SW IP.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #290
Corinthian
Banned

You actually think anyone cares whether Avellone would be happy with giving Bioware back their own game?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #291
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
You actually think anyone cares whether Avellone would be happy with giving Bioware back their own game?
My point is, Obsidian would probably fight to continue the story. So yeah, somebody would care. And by the way, once Bioware said they didn't want to do kotor 2, it no longer was "their game." I sure don't recall seeing "Bioware Corp" anywhere on the TSL box.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #292
Corinthian
Banned

I don't recall seeing Obsidian anywhere on the KotoR box. It's LucasArt's choice, not Avellone's.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #293
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Bioware didn't do TSL because they wanted to concentrate on Jade Empire, LA wanted a sequel, so Bioware suggested Obsidian to LA.

TSL is KotOR, with saber styles and a mind numbing amount of dialog, so IMO KotOR is Bioware's... Not saying Obsidian didn't do a good job with what time they had, TSL is awesome, but I wanted LA and Bioware back together, that happened... Now they need to have a baby and call it KotOR III

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #294
Devilsfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemu Taos
But do you really think that Avellone and co [at Obsidian] would be ok with handing the reigns back to Bioware after what happened with TSL? Admittedly, I don't know how much control over it they actually have, but I can bet they wouldn't be too happy. I know they want to do a kotor 3.
But isn't that call out of their hands?? If LucasArts wants BioWare then isn't that LA's rights to give it to them?

Darth Milhouse
Devilsfanatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #295
Corinthian
Banned

Precisely. Avellone's desires are really irrelevant.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #296
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
At the risk of repeating what others are saying, they (Obsidian) have no control. Lucasarts owns the license and intellectual property, and leased it to Obsidian for the Sith Lords game.

Regardless if Obsidian is happy or not, they have no recourse if Lucasarts hands the license back to Bioware for a sequel or MMORPG (and I strongly feel/suspect that it is not a sequel, but the latter of the two, due to Bioware's denial of working on a direct sequel, and the labeling 'interactive entertainment product'). If Obsidian were to make a fight about it, the only result would be to appear unprofessional.

That being said, I'm excited that Bioware is the one with the ball in their hands, as opposed to Obsidian.
southern_fox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #297
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I think it should only be normal LucasArts gave it to Obsidian. They worked on Kotor2 with another sequel in mind, while BioWare was finished with it after the first one. If it's an MMO, then BioWare is the only option. Besides the fact that Obsidian wouldn't want to make an MMO, they don't have enough employees to make one and then keep it supported for many years.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #298
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
I think it should only be normal LucasArts gave it to Obsidian.
I assumed it would be Bioware who would be doing TSL when it was announced, but it wasn't, theres no reason to believe that Obsidian would do another sequel, if the "trilogy" followed suit, another company all together would do KotOR III.

Quote:
They worked on Kotor2 with another sequel in mind.
They should of worried about the game they were making, maybe it would of been finished?! (I know LA cut there schedule)

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #299
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
I assumed it would be Bioware who would be doing TSL when it was announced, but it wasn't, theres no reason to believe that Obsidian would do another sequel, if the "trilogy" followed suit, another company all together would do KotOR III.
A reason to believe that is that Obsidian was interested in doing another Kotor while BioWare wasn't. They have always been enthusiastic about doing another, and it seems they have thought about it too. Together with the fact that the company is getting the hang of it, Mask of the Betrayer was a success, shows they are capable.

Quote:
They should of worried about the game they were making, maybe it would of been finished?! (I know LA cut there schedule)
True. Mistakes of a beginning company. But better let a company working on a third Kotor that has something in mind that fits with the second, who maybe already worked some things out, than let a company work on it who thought the series was finished after the first one, how good that company may be. And, IMHO, Obsidian's stories are better than BioWare's (though they should do something about their endings )
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #300
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah...

I could go on and on elaborating and agreeing to this, but I feel like it won't do any good. It is sufficient to just say that Lucasarts made a massive mistake trying to get a sequel out as fast as they did. They did not wait for Bioware to have its hands free, and then turning aside they slapped an unprepared Obsidian with a ridiculous timetable.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #301
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Lets agree that both LucasArts and Obsidian were at fault, then.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #302
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Lets agree that both LucasArts and Obsidian were at fault, then.
Yes, I think that the blame should be spread around. I've seen people pointing fingers at one or another alone. Looking at it though, I don't think either are blameless.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #303
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_fox
At the risk of repeating what others are saying, they (Obsidian) have no control. Lucasarts owns the license and intellectual property, and leased it to Obsidian for the Sith Lords game.

Regardless if Obsidian is happy or not, they have no recourse if Lucasarts hands the license back to Bioware for a sequel or MMORPG
This is sadly quite true.

If LA decides to hand KotOR3 to a developer that wants to reveal that Nihilus was just a droid, that Kreia is alive and is actually Revan in disguise, or that the true Sith have since been killed by gizka, then they are free to do so, regardless of what Obsidian, Bioware, or anyone else thinks about it.

Quote:
That being said, I'm excited that Bioware is the one with the ball in their hands, as opposed to Obsidian.
To each his own. I feel the exact opposite way.

Quote:
At the risk of repeating what others have said, Bioware declined to do KotOR2 and even recommended Obsidian to LA. Obsidian then wrote TSL with another sequel in the planning stages until LA killed that project.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08...s_6104775.html

Since Obsidian has expressed repeated interest in doing KotOR3 while Bioware declined KotOR2, the logical assumption would seem to me to be that Obsidian would be more likely to write KotOR3 than Bioware, since they wrote TSL with the intent of a sequel.

Quote:
Nonsense. If you cut two months of a development schedule for a game that was written at the alarming rate that TSL was written in, which was a little over a year, then it stand to reason that there is no way that it will not affect the end product. Period. Whether a sequel was being planned or not is simply not a factor.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #304
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
At the risk of repeating what others have said, Bioware declined to do KotOR2 and even recommended Obsidian to LA.
That would be me.... 11 post's ago,

Quote:
Bioware didn't do TSL because they wanted to concentrate on Jade Empire, LA wanted a sequel, so Bioware suggested Obsidian to LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Nonsense. If you cut two months of a development schedule for a game that was written at the alarming rate that TSL was written in, which was a little over a year, then it stand to reason that there is no way that it will not affect the end product. Period. Whether a sequel was being planned or not is simply not a factor.
It was more of a nudge in jest at the TSL fanboys, than an opinion or argument, TSL's schedule or lack of content means nothing to me

Old 12-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #305
Henz

Why do I have a feeling that in the end this wont have anything to do with KOTOR

(I'd rather Obsidian take on KOTOR III personally)
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #306
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
I Want My KoTOR 3...NOW!! :'(

Quote:
1- I love this reasoning. As if an MMORPG was such a good cash cow, it was automatic profit. Of course, there is demand for a good Star Wars MMO, but it doesn't mean LA is a bunch of morons: they know such a game can fail and turn in deficits. Considering how Star Wars Galaxies went, the people would be skeptical if another game was made and quality would need to be there. It is no guaranteed success. They have to choose the right people to make such a game and wait for Galaxies to properly die....
I have to slightly disagree with your thoughts. LA rushed KOTOR 2 (And Obsidian said they could take the load.) Which is why it turned out the disaster it is. Not to mention the mere existence of Galaxies (Which we can all agree has failed.) proves LA is after said Cash Cow from MMORPG land.

Quote:
Another thing is how nobody is going to "kill" WoW and not even Star Wars can do that. The market cannot be over-saturated with MMORPGs and they know that. Trying to hit them would just result in the market splitting and nobody winning anything. The reason for this is how people are mostly not willing to pay two subscriptions for two games.
I think you misunderstood my point. I know quite well that nothing can kill WoW. And i'm quite certain I never refered to starwars doing so.

Quote:
2- Bull crap. It is well established that previous heroes are dead and miraculous comebacks are not something common with Star Wars. It would never work and I doubt people would request dead heroes. The problematic would be that these heroes are mostly villains. No one could face such characters as Canderous or HK-47. Hell, just make them NPCs and useful in the background story.
^.^ DE comics anyone? My friend, we're not talking about a Star Wars film here, we're talking about a game. You can't deny that it IS POSSIBLE. Don't put to much faith in LA to make a game that with correspond to what you think is acceptable in the Star Wars Universe.

Quote:
I mean, in the case of WoW, past heroes like Thrall and Tyrande are NPCs and practically unkillable.
Practically is key. Both NPCs have been killed numerous times by over-zealous PvP guilds. Just search the videos on YouTube.

Quote:
Ok...Illidan was not dead after his confrontation with Arthas at the end of Frozen Throne. The developers noted that due to time constraint a proper cinematic was not made. If that had been the case, no assumption about Illidan's survival would have been made as it would have shown him witnessing Arthas' transformation..
> . < Heh, I remeber reading that. As soon as I watched the Cinematic at the end TFT I raced online to see if they actually killed him. You got me there.

Quote:
Khadgar, Turalyon, Alleria, Danath Trollbane and Kurdran were only presumed dead due to them being stuck in Outland. Considering the world survived (in WoW:FT), it isn't unlikely they did too.
The point I was trying ot make is that BEFORE WoW they we're presumed dead. And AFTER WoW they were brought back to life.

Quote:
Deathwing never died. The novel, Day of the Dragon, mentions him manipulating King Terenas. This was published in 2001, before WoW, so he was never "revived for WoW".
Alright, ill concede on that hero. They revived him BEFORE WoW.

Quote:
Cenarius is dead and so is Archimonde. Don't know how you can say they brought them back...
Emerald Dream brought them back my friend. So I can definatley argue that. They can also been seen in The Caverns of Time now aswell. And you can actually KILL Archimonde yourself. (Along with 39 other level 70 heros )

Quote:
Blood Elves- Yep, it seems quite weird and I agree to a certain extent. First off, the case of the Troll is quite different. Trolls in the Horder were not Forest Trolls but came from Islands Thrall stumbled upon them when crossing to Kalimdor. The mission was not included in the full game but was present in the demo. The Darkspear Trolls are now lead by Vol'jin, seen in Frozen Thrown during Rexxar's "campaign" and they never had any problems with the Blood Elves.
I'm glad you agree partially. The elves of Quel'Thalas battled with trolls since they setteled in that area with Dath'Remar. Up until the BC WoW Expansion Pack, it was rare for any elf to treat any troll with even contempt. Merley because one tribe never made contact shouldn't mean the VERY proud race of elves would have accepted an alliance with a race that they harbored evident hatred for thousands upon thousands of years.

Quote:
Zul'jin- I don't really see what the problem is. The video they made for Zul'Aman, it is made clear what happened to Zul'jin. Now, he doesn't unite the Troll tribes but that isn't a problem either. He united the tribes of Zul'Aman, not every tribe in Azeroth. Darkspear Trolls for example, are a different tribe and under the Horde, as shown in WarCraft.
I undertsand quite clearly that there are diffrent tribes of trolls. My point was that they are merley begining to turn every hero in Warcraft into a killable dungeon boss. Which takes away from them being Heroes. They could have brought Zul'jin back without turning him into a raidable boss qutie easily. That was my intended point.

Quote:
Time traveling is not impossible in the Warcraft universe and it was the best compromise to be able to play through those missions. Rhonin was thrown back in time in the "War of the Ancients" trilogy which was released in April 2004, before any plans for the Caverns of Time. It is clear that it is possible.
I would think each of Blizzards departments are aware of designs for other departments plans. You might think that they were already working on Caverns of Time when War of the Ancients was released. That point asside, Blizzard Entertainment announced World of Warcraft on September 2, 2001. Once again, my point is up until WoW Time Traveling was quite impossible in the Warcraft universe.

Quote:
Such a thing would not be possible with a Star Wars game as it isn't in conformity with the universe.
Isn't in conformity with the universe?! They can already see into the past and future! Thats quite an unfair statment to make.

Quote:
And I've been saying for quite a while that the only way it could work and make as many people as possible happy would be to make it during the Mandalorian Wars, pre-KotOR...read the whole thread before posting...
Glad we agree on that.
But with that, my entire argument is kinda over. (Yay for being to lazy to read 8 pages worth of posts :P)
Atleast the Starwars related part. (And I don't want to stray TOO far off topic ) I think a Pre-KotOR MMO would definatley aviod the large majority of problems WoW encountered.

The whole thing is that I don't even want a KotOR MMO. I just want a KotOR 3. I couldn't really care less if Obsidian or BioWare would make it at this point. Though...I, personally, would perfer BioWare.

Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #307
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Why do I have a feeling that in the end this wont have anything to do with KOTOR

(I'd rather Obsidian take on KOTOR III personally)
While everything is still speculative at this point, I'm fairly confident that Bioware and Lucasarts have teamed up for a KOTOR related game. I could always be wrong. Yet, the hints - despite the ambiguity of the situation - are too strong for me to ignore. The chances of the game being even just 'Star Wars related' are high, given that the reason for Lucasarts involvement in this project must stem from its ownership of an exceedingly lucrative license. I don't see what else Lucasarts has to offer Bioware.

Bioware has its own intellectual properties (and also capacities to develop new ones), and if it desired (and it usually does), it could focus exclusively on those. Bioware would only make a partnership if it saw creative and financial potential - potential that lured it into partnering with Lucasarts the first time around. Whatever the project is, its big. Large enough for EA to mention it in passing as one of the primary reasons for its acquisition of Bioware.

This project is probably not a direct sequel, as Bioware has flatly said that they are not involved in any such project. Its an 'interactive entertainment product', a vague word that I am taking to be a MMORPG. Bioware has open intentions to break into the MMO market, and this 'labeling' of its Lucasarts game, as well as the formation of a clearly MMO-oriented Austin Studio - makes a pattern to me. The roll call of that new studio reads off as a list of former Ultima Online and Galaxies developers. More importantly, it has James Ohlen - former lead designer of KOTOR - as its lead designer. The game is said to have really have been conceived around December of 2005, which places it at about the right time for me.

Combine the pattern with all of the various game-website hearsay about sources 'close to Bioware', mentioning a KOTOR related MMO, and the puzzle is pretty easy to solve.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #308
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Maybe WoW finally fears some competition from the LA/BioWare side which is why they've got Mr T and William Shatner advertising for them now lolz

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #309
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
It's been a while since I've posted, but here goes.

The renewed partnership between Lucasarts and Bioware is a step in the right direction. It's brings a little glimmer of hope for me for Kotor 3.

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #310
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Bioware would only make a partnership if it saw creative and financial potential - potential that lured it into partnering with Lucasarts the first time around. Whatever the project is, its big. Large enough for EA to mention it in passing as one of the primary reasons for its acquisition of Bioware.
First, I wish to say that I too think the LucasArts/BioWare partnership will produce a Star Wars MMORPG. But to clarify one point, EA mentioned BioWare's MMORPG as one of the primary reasons for acquiring BioWare, not the LucasArts/BioWare project. The LucasArts/BioWare project hadn't been officially announced at that time. And BioWare has taken pains to identify their MMORPG and the LucasArts/BioWare collaboration as two separate projects on their website. Whether or not this is turns out to be an effort to smokescreen these two projects being one and the same remains to be seen.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #311
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
First, I wish to say that I too think the LucasArts/BioWare partnership will produce a Star Wars MMORPG. But to clarify one point, EA mentioned BioWare's MMORPG as one of the primary reasons for acquiring BioWare, not the LucasArts/BioWare project. The LucasArts/BioWare project hadn't been officially announced at that time. And BioWare has taken pains to identify their MMORPG and the LucasArts/BioWare collaboration as two separate projects on their website. Whether or not this is turns out to be an effort to smokescreen these two projects being one and the same remains to be seen.
I wouldn't call it great pains to add a separate drop down option...
If they are not allowed to announce that the MMO is a collaboration between LA and Bioware, it stands to reason that the incidental finding of the lucasartsbioware website could have prompted at least some form of announcement. The announcement remained general enough so as not to really announce anything. Basically it just announced that the website wasn't a hoax, and LA/Bioware really are working on something.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #312
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say 'great pains'.

I can't really explain why that Bioware lists a MMORPG and its Lucasarts partnership under different icons. Its a mystery to me.

It could be explained as simply being a link to the new Lucasarts-Bioware joint website, soon to have actual content, with the Bioware icon for the MMO being Bioware's own website for the same game. As strange as it sounds, that would not be too far of a stretch, considering that both Lucasarts and Bioware owned and maintained separate websites for Knights of the Old Republic that had connections to each other.

Of course, I'm assuming that.

Still, the pattern does not add up to me any other way. I can't imagine that Bioware would bother to handle the load of developing two MMOs at once - inevitably not doing a good job on either game. Bioware has been clear that they are not designing a sequel, so that probability can be ruled out as the 'product'. I can't see a Lucasarts-Bioware partnership being centered around anything other than Star Wars. We can safely rule out the 'Monkey Island' or 'Thrillville' MMO. With the impossible outcomes removed, there is not much speculation room left for me.

It all probably has some simple explanation.

Last edited by southern_fox; 12-12-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #313
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
Maybe WoW finally fears some competition from the LA/BioWare side which is why they've got Mr T and William Shatner advertising for them now lolz
Oh, you mean Activision Blizzard.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #314
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
'Maybe a bit of a guess...but why couldn't this collaboration mean the revival of Monkey Island or Full Throttle?

Bioware could revive any of these games into a perfect new game. They're famous for telling stories after all

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #315
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
'Maybe a bit of a guess...but why couldn't this collaboration mean the revival of Monkey Island or Full Throttle?

Bioware could revive any of these games into a perfect new game. They're famous for telling stories after all
lol, true, but I think if they disregard the MASSIVE fan need for another KotOR, they'll be infamous for sure!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #316
Darca Lar
Forumite

Nah, I'm sure whatever Bioware and LA are working on is gonna be both great and groundbreaking.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #317
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah...

I can imagine an angry mob with pitchforks and torches burning down Bioware's Edmonton headquarters if this turned out to be the case.

Then again, given Bioware's extraordinary talent, the end result would probably be pretty good - despite my total lack of interest. Whatever it is (and I'm confident that I know), I think that the game will at absolute minimum at least equal the original Knights game, if not far exceed it.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #318
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah...

I can imagine an angry mob with pitchforks and torches burning down Bioware's Edmonton headquarters if this turned out to be the case.

Then again, given Bioware's extraordinary talent, the end result would probably be pretty good - despite my total lack of interest. Whatever it is (and I'm confident that I know), I think that the game will at absolute minimum at least equal the original Knights game, if not far exceed it.
*Pets his copy of Mass Effect and makes a purring noise.*
"Now...all I need is an Xbox 360...Thank god for Chritmas...^-^"

Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #319
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
I wouldn't call it great pains to add a separate drop down option...
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say 'great pains'.
Hey all. Please read unedited post #310 again. I typed "pains," not "great pains." My intent was to say that BioWare has put forth the effort to note their MMORPG and their collaboration with LucasArts as separate projects on their website. That is all. BioWare definitely hasn't taken "great pains" which I would characterize as someone from BioWare actually coming out and saying that the two projects are separate and not one and the same.
Quote:
I can't really explain why that Bioware lists a MMORPG and its Lucasarts partnership under different icons. Its a mystery to me.
Indeed. I'm anxious to discover the truth in all of this.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #320
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker

True, but BioWare makes RPGs and RPG stories (you know what I mean). Don't think that giving them Monkey Island and Full Throttle will be the best choice. I don't think MI should be tried without Tim Schafer. It's a guaranteed failure otherwise.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Lucasarts and Bioware Corp. partnership OFFICIAL - At last

Tags
nerd rage