lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Why have you bough Kotor (1 and/or 2)
Because I'm a Star Wars fan. 57 61.29%
Because I'm a CRPG fan. 5 5.38%
Both. 24 25.81%
Because I appreciate Bioware/Obsidian work. 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: You bought Kotor why...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
You bought Kotor why...

Why have you chosen to buy the new Bioware masterpiece (when it was announced, of course) or the waited Obsidian sequel to it? Was it because you are a Star Wars fan? Or you just happen to like CRPGs? Perhaps both...

The purpose of this thread is to draw the profile of the Kotor players, on what games can you expect to bump on them, and if Star Wars games have really crossed old boundaries that restricted the games to the fans of the Lucas saga.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
[[ I meant to do both <_< ]]

It wasn't so much that it was Star Wars, that it was simply a great story that I shared with two of my cousins. Still, I love Star Wars, and love RPG's, and ended up buying it eventually.

I mainly bought it for nostalgic purposes, and to try out some mods.
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Uilleand
Rookie

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Because NWN knocked my socks off....even though I played Oblivion first. Made my own priorities very clear to me - pretty graphics mean nadda without the amazing story behind it.
I never had any urge to play any Star Wars game in my life, but I wanted to see what Bioware did with it,,,,

"... I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room." - Ray Bradbury
Uilleand is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
Lance Monance
Rookie

Because I'm always craving for RPGs and Kotor looked promising.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Because i like Star Wars, like RPG's and while playing Jedi Academy and in the search for more SW games, i happened to find the KotOR series.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Because I have been a fan of Bioware since their Baldur's Gate days, a Star Wars fan, and RPGs are my favorite type of computer games.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Purely because of star wars, in fact, I think the last game I played before K1 was Dark forces 2 on my Dads pc back in the day, I'm not really a gamer at all, I might buy the odd Shooter, to bide my time between Star Wars games.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I bought KotOR 1 maybe six-months after I got KotOR 2, I also bought the game because I was browsing the internet, and that is what I came across; it looked promising. My birthday was coming up, so my parents bought me an Xbox, and KotOR 2.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
I bought cuz I liked Star Wars and I read reviews that said it was the best Star Wars video game and had a really good story. The fact that it had an awesome story was the main selling point for me, though.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
True_Avery
Banned

I did not buy Kotor 1. I did not even know it existed, and did not care much for Star Wars in the first place.

Family friend gave it to me for my birthday, so I installed it, played, and got hooked. I rented TSL for the Xbox at a later date and played through it once. Around that point I got interested in Star Wars more than ever.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
I got KotOR 1 Because I love star wars and RPGs, I found out about it from my brother though, I played it on his Xbox then decided I liked it so much I bought it myself.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
Obi-Wan Baloney
Rookie

I bought it cause I bought one for my cousin and then later decided to give it a chance too. That game turned me into a Star Wars fan. I loved Star Wars after playing that game!

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a
good blaster at your side, kid."

Han Solo
Rebel Smuggler
Obi-Wan Baloney is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #13
Jasper_Kazai

Because I love Star Wars. After Christmas (2003), I went with my family to different electronic stores to use the money we received- we do this every year. I saw KotOR on the shelf and picked it up to look at it and immediately knew it was going to be an awesome game.
I had to get a new graphics card to play it, though. Everything was solid white when I had first loaded up the game. After the new card, though, I was able to play. And I was disappointed. I was imagining a Jedi Knight series-style gameplay, and with the description about customizing your character and that style of combat, I thought it was going to be amazing. But it wasn't like that. I learned to like the game eventually, because of its story, but the combat still somewhat disappoints me. I still hold the belief that if KotOR had a combat system similar to the JK series, it would be my favorite Star Wars game of all time. The story is definitely my favorite.

Fun fact: I didn't beat KotOR (LS, still haven't beaten DS) until almost three years later in April 2006. Long story why.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #14
Nancy Allen``
Banned

I bought it because it was a good game. When I had my XBOX KOTOR was one of the games I tried and bought it because I was happy with it, simple as that.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

I actually got it accidentally....

I was buying a different game and the store assistant put KotOR in by mistake...

I tried it out and just couldn't bring myself to take it back

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I never got kotor for PC. my uncle gave it to me as my first videogame i had ever played on my xbox. i then got kotor II for xbox and palye dit. thne my fridn gave me the PC version of kotor II and i had a lot of fun playign it on my pC, and i've played it over and over and over again sicne thne...

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Current Game: The Old Republic
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I've never seriously played any RPG before I bought Kotor. In fact, when I bought Kotor, I thought the gameplay was like the Jedi Knight series. What I got was something much better, and got me into the RPG world. So I bought Kotor because it was Star Wars mainly.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
I actually got it accidentally....

I was buying a different game and the store assistant put KotOR in by mistake...

I tried it out and just couldn't bring myself to take it back
Lol, but you bought one game and the assistant put both Kotor and the other game (lucky) or just Kotor?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Dark Diva
Rookie

I bought it out of curiosity. I had never played an RPG before but I was raised on Star Wars. My spouse bought TSL and as I watched him play a little of it I thought to myself "Hey that looks pretty cool!" Then he took it with him when he went out of town. I was browsing at the store and saw KOTOR. I realized it was the first one and picked it up using the excuse that now we could have both. Kotor is what hooked me on RPG's and Bioware. I was blown away by the storyline and the character interactions... and I still am. The bad part is we had to buy another copy so my husband had one because I played it constantly; trying different dialogs, sidequests, and then mods when I found out about them.

Insert witty comment here
Dark Diva is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I have put off playing KOTR for a long time, but kept hearing great things about it, and then I played Jade Empire and loved it, and decided to move on into the Star Wars world a bit, and here I am, and am very glad i did, remarkable game indeed, with many fine qualities.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
Jacen Stargazer
Rookie

I heard it was good, and I liked Star Wars quite a bit. Now, after playing KotOR, I'm safely a cRPG and Bioware fan.
Jacen Stargazer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #22
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Because I was a Star Wars fan and the graphics looked pretty.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
SilvanElf
Rookie

Location: Balmora, Vvarfendel, Morrowind, Tamriel, Nirn, My PC
Star Wars fan...

'Nuff said

*sorry for slight necro-posting*

Taur'ohtar en' i' taure, Lenwë Sîrfalas.
SilvanElf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #24
Fredi
El Guapo

Cause I like Star wars

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #25
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
I bought it because my brother had it, but then he moved out of the house before I could finish playing it. In short, because I wanted to finish the game.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
Lordjedi
Forumite

Current Game: Red Dead Redemption
Well really I alreay had K2 in 04 and then I bought K1 to see what K1 was like.

My Mods
Jedi Replacement Robe|Combat Mandalorians| Darth Bandon Clothing Reskin|Party Member Reskins| Female Republic Solider Reskin|Enhanced Mira

"Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blaster warms up, meatbags. - HK-47
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
Talyn82
Rookie

I bought KOTOR because I am a CRPG fan. Before playing KOTOR I never liked the Star Wars movies, but then I got hooked into the story of KOTOR. Now I own both KOTOR games for Xbox and PC, and I own all six Star wars movies, including some books.

So in closing KOTOR got me into the Star Wars universe.
Talyn82 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
Stream
Damn...

Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
I bought an Xbox from my brother in law and he had kOTOR, the first time I played it I really hated it, it stayed on the shelf for months and then I was really bored one day and decided to play it, i started to get the hang of it and ended up loving it. I then heard about TSL and decided to get that to see what it was like. I then found out about being able to mod the PC versions so bought them.

--Stream

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
Web Rider

I don't know honestly, I think I just bought it on a whim 'cause I heard they were good and they(K1+K2) were on sale.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #30
Sven_Q45
Forumite

It was my first SW game. I heard so good things about it. And 2004 i MUST buy it. The first playing was very, very good.
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #31
Dan Loto
Rookie

Because I'm a Star Wars fan....and I because played it at my friends house through half of Taris.

Dan Loto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #32
Ben Bryddia
Rookie

Reason One. I am, and have been since 2003, an avid fan of EVERYTHING Star Wars.

Reason Two. It was a Star Wars game and I had loved Dark Forces two, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy, which a friend introduced me to one day. Said friend was also playing a bit of the Taris sewers with Mission when I came over, though I didn't see much because his mom didn't want him playing a 'single player' game and leaving me with nothing to do.

Reason three. The cover art was intriuging and I liked the idea of being able to storm the Galaxy with nine budies.

Reason four. I didn't know RPGs used turn based combat and prevented accrobatics, actual death of characters accept in special situations. Basically, I didn't know it had an entirely different layout than the Jedi Knight games.

"Raking is easy, but all you get is leaves. Digging is hard, but you may find gold.”
-John Piper

“Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
-God

"Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!"
-Feanor to Morgoth
Ben Bryddia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #33
DarthJebus05
Banned

My friend let me borrow it when I was too young to like Star Wars (used to sleep through the movies :P). I loved it and bought it for myself.
DarthJebus05 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #34
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
The first KotOR I bought because I like Star Wars and I like a good RPG and from all the previews the game showed a lot of promise. In the end I was right to buy it, because it provided at least a month of constant fun and even later I'd replay certain segments, just for the fun of it.
The sequel I bought because the original was really good, regardless of the fact that I like Star Wars and RPGs. In the end I didn't regret buying the sequel either as it provided at least an equal amount of fun as the original, but I didn't find it as good as the original, mainly because of its premature release and cut content that has been the subject of many debates on these forums.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #35
Master Shake

Current Game: kotor 3
Funny story.....about two years ago my little bro rented TSL but I was mad at him so i didn't let him use the XBOX and ended up playing it and loving it. Two months later I bought KotOR. Two of the best games I have ever played.
Master Shake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #36
Kas'!m

I bought it because the pics in some magazine looked cool
Kas'!m is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #37
Richard Blaze
Rookie

Well, I first saw KOTOR at a friend's place when he was playing it (and naturally he spoiled EVERYTHING about it, thanks a lot for that) and tried it briefly, but didn't really "feel" it at that point.

Then I bought an Xbox of my own, called this friend and asked him to borrow the game because the ones bundled with the system didn't interest me at that point (I had read several reviews of KOTOR by now and felt I just had to get into it). Of course, he had already traded it in for something and I learned to enjoy my bundled copy of Halo instead.

A few months after that, this same friend got KOTOR again and now I got to borrow it (I couldn't afford buying my own copy just yet since I had spent my money on Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue II and a bunch of other titles ). I think I completed two playthroughs in the time I had the game. THEN I finally bought it. And when I got a decent PC, I bought it again to check out all the mods.

Actually I voted for "I'm a Star Wars fan", but now that I think of it the last option would have been a better choice. Oh well.

Gimme danger, little stranger... and I'll feel your disease.
Richard Blaze is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #38
DarthJebus05
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Blaze
Well, I first saw KOTOR at a friend's place when he was playing it (and naturally he spoiled EVERYTHING about it, thanks a lot for that) and tried it briefly, but didn't really "feel" it at that point.

Then I bought an Xbox of my own, called this friend and asked him to borrow the game because the ones bundled with the system didn't interest me at that point (I had read several reviews of KOTOR by now and felt I just had to get into it). Of course, he had already traded it in for something and I learned to enjoy my bundled copy of Halo instead.

A few months after that, this same friend got KOTOR again and now I got to borrow it (I couldn't afford buying my own copy just yet since I had spent my money on Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue II and a bunch of other titles ). I think I completed two playthroughs in the time I had the game. THEN I finally bought it. And when I got a decent PC, I bought it again to check out all the mods.

Actually I voted for "I'm a Star Wars fan", but now that I think of it the last option would have been a better choice. Oh well.
Exact same story of how I got my KOTOR game...
DarthJebus05 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #39
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

I just found the first KOTOR on a store and it looked kinda cool, so I decided to buy it, the rest is history

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #40
Iron Rose
Rookie

I bought TSL because I was a Star Wars fan. I bought Kotor because I enjoyed TSL and wanted to understand it better. (Yes I played 2 and then 1).
Iron Rose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > You bought Kotor why...