lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Why have you bough Kotor (1 and/or 2)
Because I'm a Star Wars fan. 57 61.29%
Because I'm a CRPG fan. 5 5.38%
Both. 24 25.81%
Because I appreciate Bioware/Obsidian work. 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: You bought Kotor why...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #41
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

KOTOR was actually given to me by a fellow Star Wars fan (along with his XBOX once he got the 360), but the same principle applies. I'm by no means an avid gamer (I don't even come close), and I never would have played KOTOR had it not been for the Star Wars content. Fortunately for me, the storyline and game play were both amazing, and it only fueled the fire that was started by it being a Star Wars game.

Essentially, my friend told me that you can choose actions that take you to the light side or dark side, and from that statement alone I was hooked.
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #42
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
I'm by no means an avid gamer (I don't even come close), and I never would have played KOTOR had it not been for the Star Wars content.
Same here. But now that I've played both games, I'll probably keep my eyes on BioWare and Obsidian in the future (I plan to get Mass Effect for PC, and possibly Alpha Protocol).

EDIT: KOTOR was the first RPG I played, actually. K2 the second. And there isn't a third yet. I'm actually not into RPG at all. But I can't go back to mindless, storyless first-person shooters ever again.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #43
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I've heard that Mass Effect is supposed to be awesome... I just find it hard for me to get into it because I just don't have the time to dedicate to video games anymore (I'm getting old).

I work full-time, and I'm getting my MBA full-time... but those aren't even the main distractors. I have two sons at home, a 3-year old and a 15-month old, and I dedicate most of my free time to them (willingly).

That being said, I am really going to dig in to K2 this weekend and next week while I'm out of town on business.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #44
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I didn't buy either of them, I just saw TSL lying around one day and picked it up.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #45
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I actually bought an Xbox specifically so I could play KOTOR - that was the only reason I bought the console, and I wasn't disappointed. Then I bought K2.

And then when I got a decent computer, I bought them both again for PC - mods FTW!
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #46
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
I bought the Star Wars Best Of PC in early 2007. I didn't even know what KotOR was at the time! I just bought it because it had Republic Commando and Battefront. When I played KotOR, it was love at first sight. I'd never played an RPG, so it was amazing for me, and still is!

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #47
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I actually don't own any Xbox games outside of K1 and K2, and probably never will. If 360 comes out with K3, I'll buy the 360 to play it.

However, after reading a lot of these posts, most people seem to prefer the PC version b/c of mods/cheats. Initially I'm not interested in these, but perhaps I can be convinced...? Can someone help convince me the PC version is better?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #48
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Mods.

'Nuff said. And trust me, whatever you might think of them, you'll want them once you try some of the good ones. Unlike for a lot of other games, a lot of KotOR mods add content, not just 'cheat' items or things like that. Many mods add player-made side quests or additional content (some more extreme than otehrs).

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #49
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Do you know of any such mods in particular??

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #50
Jacob Dakari
Rookie

I personally find the Recruit RedHawke mod quite amazing in K1, as well as the Caucasion Mission, and the make Mission a Jedi mod...

In K2, the Dark Apprentice: Holowan Consortium... that one's enough on it's own, but there are several other ones that I find amazing, but I can't think of their names...

Jake's Website
"Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 'In your anger do not sin': Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." Ephesians 4:25-27 (NIV)

"This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
'In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it.'" Isaiah 30:15 (NIV)
Jacob Dakari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #51
JD-Rom
Rookie

I chose both, because I got hooked on Star Wars and Diablo 2 when I was a little kid. I also started playing Quake (yes, THAT Quake) when I was 3!

Also, ironically, I bought, played, and finished TSL before K1 because I couldn't find a copy of K1 at that time, and even after playing through the ENTIRE game and finding out the ENTIRE plot of TSL, I STILL did not realize the revelation in K1! I mean, I just thought that
spoiler:
Revan pretended to die, and that he came back and wrought his havok before he went into the Unknown Regions because of whatever, and that the PC had a fairly minor part in Revan's journey, instead of the PC BEING Revan!
I honestly thought that, even though that would obviously have some complications and contradictions! Absent-minded cluelessness much?
JD-Rom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #52
followtheblind
Lurker

my cousin bought it about 2 years ago, went to his house and played it once, didnt really like it as we only started and we played peragus, forgot about it for ages untilr andomly i just decided to buy it and now im hooked
followtheblind is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #53
Jvstice

I alreayd liked the Star Wars movies and I at least liked pen and paper RPG's, but I'd really never got into the star wars games before the Knights franchise.

I saw K1 on my brother in law's console, and thought it looked cool. He loaned it to me for a week. I loved it so much I bought it for PC and played it through another 20 times or so before K2 came out. Actually this is why I tried JK, JA, and Battlefront years later. I got bored waiting for K3 to come out and figured I'd give the others a chance.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #54
JD-Rom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvstice
I alreayd liked the Star Wars movies and I at least liked pen and paper RPG's, but I'd really never got into the star wars games before the Knights franchise.

I saw K1 on my brother in law's console, and thought it looked cool. He loaned it to me for a week. I loved it so much I bought it for PC and played it through another 20 times or so before K2 came out. Actually this is why I tried JK, JA, and Battlefront years later. I got bored waiting for K3 to come out and figured I'd give the others a chance.
Then have you tried Empire At War? The game itself is MASSIVE! I only managed to save (I play the Rebels) 1/8 of the entire galaxy in the campaign before getting distracted and forgetting all about it!
JD-Rom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #55
Jvstice

Empire at war was fun. I haven't tried the epansion pack for it, but I liked the sp campaigns on the original.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > You bought Kotor why...