lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Atari quits production and the CEO resigns
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Atari quits production and the CEO resigns

Source
Quote:
As Atari exits game production to focus on publishing and distribution, the North American game publisher announced Tuesday that CEO David Pierce has resigned.
ImageCurtis G. Solsvig III, chief restructuring officer will be filling Pierce’s position on an interim basis as Atari searches for a replacement.

Atari had announced Pierce as CEO back in September 2006.

Meanwhile, Atari will refocus its business on publishing and distribution in North America, completely withdrawing from the production business.

Atari has also licensed its Test Drive franchise to Lyon, France-based parent Infogrames Entertainment S.A. for a $5 million advance royalty.

Atari will now focus on title acquisition, sales and marketing and physical distribution of games from Infogrames and “other select partners.”

A statement from Atari adds, “Atari has agreed in principle with IESA to terminate its Production Services Agreement in the near future. As a result, Atari will no longer provide production and quality assurances services to IESA. Rather, Atari plans to transfer certain employees and contract other staff on a project basis for a limited period of time.”

Atari will make additional workforce cuts as part of this latest round of restructuring.

The firm announced in 2006 the first inkling of a plan to get out of game development, as the studio began an initiative to sell off its internal development studios.

Atari recently reported a Q1 loss of $11.9 million and expressed “substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern.”
Well, things aren't looking too happy for Atari are they?

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Atari exits game production to focus on publishing and distribution
I thought that's all they were doing anyway.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Things never looked happy for Atari... worst gaming company. Ever. Im still amused/disgusted over Temple of Elemental Evil...

Glad they arent doing games anymore...

In other news; TK, whats your avatar from? Kinda looks like 80s anime.
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash Li
Atari... worst gaming company. Ever.
Whoa whoa whoa. I hope you mean post-1990 Atari. The original Atari was a gaming pioneer in the 70s-80s and of us old-timers have our childhood memories forever intertwined with the Atari 2600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash Li
TK, whats your avatar from? Kinda looks like 80s anime.
It's actually 2003 from Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 anime video for their Discovery album (1 hour video). It features the track "Harder Better Faster Stronger" which Samuel Dravis introduced me to.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Web Rider

Heh, after how horribly they've been doing recently, I think this is more welcomed than surprising.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
Balderdash
Rookie

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa. I hope you mean post-1990 Atari. The original Atari was a gaming pioneer in the 70s-80s and of us old-timers have our childhood memories forever intertwined with the Atari 2600.
The first computer I had was an Atari ST. The first RPG I ever played was Legends of Valour on there. This was more in the early 90s, if anything I believe. Heh, my childhood friend had an Amiga and we used to argue over which was best.

Atari is a fairly good publisher still so this isn't entirely unwelcome news from a consumer's point of view, so long as they don't go completely out of business.

Last edited by Balderdash; 11-15-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Actually, Atari owns the rights to and has been developing the D&D games that have come out in the past few years: Temple of Elements, D&D tactics for PSP etc...

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Of course I meant post-80s... my first platform was the 2600! I fondly remember playing Yars Revenge for hours... hehe
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Atari quits production and the CEO resigns