lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Main PC?
Revan 52 32.70%
The Exile 8 5.03%
"Some-Random-Guy-With-Amazing-Force-Potential" 60 37.74%
I don't care if I play as Ajuur, just make the darn game..... 39 24.53%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Revan.... Or Exile... Or Random Guy
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Revan.... Or Exile... Or Random Guy

I myself would think it would be nice if we played as Revan again. Now I know everyone's probably going to throw me all the problems associated with that idea, but trust me, I know. In fact, I usually am pro-New PC.

However, I've thought about if for a long time, and here are my reasons for each character not being/being the main PC.

Revan: I think the benefit of having Revan as the main PC would be the storyline more than anything else. It would certainly build a stronger storyline rather than simply having some new "random guy", as I put it, coming in in each game, with his own little story and own enemies.

I consider this idea already partially shot, though, considering that Obsidian used a New PC for TSL; it would seem to reduce the potential of having a single main character for the (possible) trilogy. It's too bad, because I think they could have build on KOTOR and really made a strong story out of Revan (and to a lesser extent, Bastila/Carth). Not that I don't like TSL, or its characters, but it certainly took the story away from Revan.

Now, I know there's problems, the main one being:

What do you do with the whole level thing? Revan can't be level 60 at the start of the game, neither can his companions. One of the hazards of RPGs like this - for example, JK never had this problems, since it doesn't have "levels". Well, it did in JO, but that was solved by "Kyle gave up his force powers, so now he's got to learn them again."

Only problem is, Revan already did that trick, although in a different sort of way.

And there's other problems, of course. Anyone have anything to say about this one?

The Exile: No. He's just not really the main focus, nor is a strong enough character IMO to rank being featured as the main PC in two games, rather than Revan.

Some Random Guy Who Comes In With Amazingly Strong Force Potential: Yes only because the other two don't seem to work. It would mean no problem since he can start as a blank slate, so he's good gameplay wise, but.... I think the story might suffer a bit from having to make up some new character that somehow is connected to everything that's going on.

Which goes on to the second part of this thread, which isn't so much about the characters as it is: where is the story going to go? Sometimes I have doubts what they are going to do with KOTOR.... especially since, if you think about it, the two games aren't really connected at all. Based on who you would think would work, how are they going to take the story somewhere that is both satisfying, believable, and true to Star Wars fashion?
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

I think you forgot the "Some-Random-Guy-With-No-Amazing-Force-Power", beloved by Jediphile (where is he anyway?)

Anyway, I choose the "Some-Random-Guy-With-Amazing-Force-Power". I see no other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
I think you forgot the "Some-Random-Guy-With-No-Amazing-Force-Power", beloved by Jediphile (where is he anyway?)
Ah, my apologies. I don't think many would choose that option, though, so I think I'm safe (although I don't know). I wouldn't think that a game entitled *Knights* of the Old Republic would have a non-Jedi PC, however, just on it's basis.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Igos
Rookie

Well, having recycled characters presents issues, and for the sake of the RPG, I think the best way to go is having a new PC.

That said, I don't think he / she needs "amazing force potential". I agree you can't just have a common Jedi (Since that would make the enemy look lame), but you can simply make the PC have a special ability that helps in a special circumstance (Like the exile).
Igos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igos
That said, I don't think he / she needs "amazing force potential". I agree you can't just have a common Jedi (Since that would make the enemy look lame), but you can simply make the PC have a special ability that helps in a special circumstance (Like the exile).
Agreed. I can't see a good way of playing as Revan or the Exile again, so, like most RPG, better to start with a new PC again. We don't necessarily need a Jedi with huge Force potential, just someone who's up to the task (whatever that task may be), someone who has what it takes.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
I can't see a good way of playing as Revan or the Exile again, so, like most RPG, better to start with a new PC again. We don't necessarily need a Jedi with huge Force potential, just someone who's up to the task (whatever that task may be), someone who has what it takes.
Agreed, Look at Obi-Wan, forever left out of "most powerful" lists, yet he's kicked every ass he's come up against. (he let Vader kill him)
You don't have to be a vergence in the Force to be a Hero/villain...

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Well, in that case, my second question to you guys is: what are they (whoever they are) going to do with the story? How exactly would a new PC fit into the story, given what's happened in the last two games?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Igos
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQel-Droma
what are they (whoever they are) going to do with the story?
I think no one can answer that question.

My guess is that they'll focus on the story of the new PC, and we'll find out what happened to Revan and the Exile through references in the game (That is, they'll not appear physically). At least, that's what I'd like.

Quote:
How exactly would a new PC fit into the story, given what's happened in the last two games?
The new PC would fit simply by being contemporary to Revan and the Exile. You don't need a new character that has a close relationship with them for the story to work out.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
MJ-W4

I think the biggest problem with either Revan or Exile as PC is that both have been canonized which severly cuts down on storyline and character development. With a new PC, an elaborate story containing both Revan and the Exile is far easier to come up with.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
Igos
Rookie

^

Canon is only relevant in novels and books. In the games, however, we should be given the chance to choose (As they did in TSL), because we all role-played our characters in a different way.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Revan or a new guy that can use the force. Revan only because we don't know what happened to him when he went into the Unknown Regions. Other than that reason, I would be fine playing a new character with force-potential.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
Corinthian
Banned

Darth Vader's apprentice, sent back in time to stop Revan from taking control of the Nova Colossus and destroying Tatooine's second sun.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #13
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
If only...

Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Henz

New guy please
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
Agreed, Look at Obi-Wan, forever left out of "most powerful" lists, yet he's kicked every ass he's come up against. (he let Vader kill him)
You don't have to be a vergence in the Force to be a Hero/villain...
Agreed

I would like to see some one with some but not amazing force potential.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #16
Corinthian
Banned

Exactly. Obi-Wan Kenobi was not a particularly powerful Jedi in terms of raw power. However, he was pretty much the Jedi Ideal. Those ideals allowed him to overcome his enemies. Grievous, who was capable of handling dozens of Jedi including Ki-Adi-Mundi and Aayla Secura simultaneously and slaughtering most, lost to just Obi-Wan, with only minimal assistance from Obi-Wan's clone battalions. Raw power is not everything.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #17
Beast-Thrasher
Rookie

I would like a new PC. Not any of this crap where they ave to re-learn the Force, I want it to be a random person that gets picked up, found or sensed by perhaps one of the Exile's companions as they try and rebuild the Jedi Order for the coming war. I don't want a PC that is "You are the last hope for the galaxy...without you, were boned." none of that. I want an average Jedi that contributes to a larger puzzle that isn't centered around them.

In game their states and equipement can be awesome but story wise they aren't the be all, save all,
Beast-Thrasher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #18
Web Rider

If the "new game" started high-level enough, I suppose it could work, we all remember how close to gods our Revans+exiles were. And if you're going to make every sith lackey in the game a level 20+, you might as well make everyone start from scratch.

Personally, I'd like to get past this "oh, we've got to go on a quest to find the holy grail which is where Revan went off to." No, I want to be there, wherever it is, and I want to be a "promising student" of Revan or the Exile who are NOT party members, but occassional people you meet up with. And then you'd get to be involved in whatever the heck is going on in the "uncharted regions".

That way we could have new weird sith, we could get away from the jedi order, and some dialogue in the beginning of the game could set up if Revan+exile are male/female, light/dark, top/bottom.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Prequel anyone? Might mean interfering with the sequencing of the comics etc., but it would give an ideal excuse to revive Revan/The General. Or something.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
RobQel-Droma
Blah

^Perhaps.... but since it would be a bit corny for them to turn KOTOR 1 into KOTOR IV, and start off the prequels. Besides, I don't think that the storyline between the two games is really that interconnected, so prequels would be more like different games than direct prequels.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #21
Lordjedi
Forumite

If you took some random guy out and it was Revan vs Exile I would chose Revan
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
I would hope that the PC for K3 (when/if there is one) is neither Revan nor the Exile, but someone new who has a connection with one/both of them.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #23
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
I

DON'T

CARE!!!!

Just make the game already!!!!!!

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #24
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
I reckon it would be pretty cool if you got to play as Ajuur.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #25
Christos K
Forumite

I voted for Revan for most of the same reasons RobQel did. There are ways to fix the RPG part. All feats, powers, skills, attributes would come from the save in KotOR. The level cap would be changed to 100, now have a boosted constitution of 30 would be nothing, having 45 for security would no longer open almost all doors. All feats and powers would have more levels. For example, if every feat and force power would have 3 new tiers/levels whatever you call them, A very good attribute would now be like 35-45 (including boosts) and a good skill level would be like 70-100 (again including boosts) Force Storm's next level would be for its attack to attack more people, than the next level would be for it to be more powerful, than the last level would be for it to maybe stun your opponet or decrease their attributes or something. And for feats like Power Attack it would go on from Master Power Attack like: Improved Master Power Attack, would have more damage.
Advanced Master Power Attack, could attack 2 people.
Ultimate Master Power Attack, would have more of a chance to knock down opponet.
Things like this could work if Revan was the main PC again or if the Exile was.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #26
matinee suxxx
Rookie

THE RANDOM GUY

so i think youre right about the whole level problem so i do believe that they will get some newguy in kotor 3...BUT, i believe that this new character will be either the exile, or Revans apprentice. think about it, you have to tart from scratch and either revan or the exile are involved, unless they bring both in the game but one gets killed by a more powerfull foe (unlikely though). the hardest part about all of this is at the beginning of the game they would either have to give you a choice abot whether or not revan or the exile was good, or evilto determine your path.unless they take that choice away from you, in which case i could see the exile fighting revan one is good one is evile or both are evile in order to cut down on complication. They can't take revan or the exiles powers away AGAIN** that would be a little redundant dont you think?
matinee suxxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #27
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
I personally think we should play Exile. That's where we left off.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
matinee suxxx
Rookie

yeah but the options at the end of TSL was 1:stay on Malachor as dark lord or 2:destroy alachor and go find revan. so if we played as the exile we whould be out looking for revan and all the level caps would be changed so we wouldnt have another amnisia struck sith lord that has to regain his powers and decide whether to be light/dark.
matinee suxxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #29
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matinee suxxx
yeah but the options at the end of TSL was 1:stay on Malachor as dark lord or 2:destroy alachor and go find revan. so if we played as the exile we whould be out looking for revan and all the level caps would be changed so we wouldnt have another amnisia struck sith lord that has to regain his powers and decide whether to be light/dark.
Yeah, but the true story line is that the Exile stays good. The dark sides are alternate endings, not the actual true story.

Your second point makes sense; I'm sure at some point we'll have to play as either the Exile or Revan. Who knows, BioWare has a tendency to do the least expected with video games and make it incredible. So I'm sure they'll had some kind of twist if they introduce a brand new character.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #30
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
The purpose of the "True" or canon Stories are only for Books and Essential guides etc, The Game play, feats, appearance, gender, is Strictly optional as per the last two games.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
Hawkstrong16

Revan. No contest. They need to finish the story with Revan. And then finish the love story between the two of them. And we need to find out what happed to the rest of the old parties.

So I think the PC should be Revan.

Camo-Man 07 Now Known As Hawkstrong16

90% of teens today would die if myspace or facebook had a system failure. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh copy this to your signature.
92% precent of teens today have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% that still rock out copy this to your signature

May The Force Be With You, Always
Hawkstrong16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #32
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala
I personally think we should play Exile. That's where we left off.
But didn't we leave off with Revan in KotOR 1?
We started KotOR 2 with The Exile, therefore there is sort of a pattern. I think that KotOR 3 will most likely have a new PC.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #33
Jedi Eagle 27
Rookie

If they go with a random guy, I hope you get to start off with a jedi that has his powers from the get go. I mean, the whole revan and exile having to get their powers back to where they once were bit is getting kind of old.
Jedi Eagle 27 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #34
Iron Rose
Rookie

As much as I'd like to play as Revan, I agree with the others who claim it would make the experience more limiting. I'd rather play a new character. Maybe Revan could become your mentor (like Bastila was) and the Exile could join up with you (though I'd rather get to fight and kill her to be Revan's apprentice).
Iron Rose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #35
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Eagle 27
If they go with a random guy, I hope you get to start off with a jedi that has his powers from the get go. I mean, the whole revan and exile having to get their powers back to where they once were bit is getting kind of old.
Well, they need some reason to make you start at level 1.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #36
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423
Well, they need some reason to make you start at level 1.
Yeah, but at least give the player 4 Force powers to start with along with a lightsaber.... and clothes, so the droids don't get distracted

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #37
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe 2.0
Yeah, but at least give the player 4 Force powers to start with along with a lightsaber.... and clothes, so the droids don't get distracted
Ha, yeah, some clothes would be a good start.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #38
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423
Ha, yeah, some clothes would be a good start.
At least, enough underwear and socks to change.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #39
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
What if you played first as the bad guy or this random guy , who gets involved in ... well something that drags him to the outer rim area , or unknow region .

This whole adventure goes about mid-way the game and something happens and your randome guy character ( you started to love and like ) gets a bang on the head and all fades to black .

And then the second part of the game starts witht the exile or Revan or a mix between these 2 .

And when all gets to the end , your choices affect with who you'll end the game with .

THe random guy or Revan or Exile .

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #40
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon
What if you played first as the bad guy or this random guy , who gets involved in ... well something that drags him to the outer rim area , or unknow region .

This whole adventure goes about mid-way the game and something happens and your randome guy character ( you started to love and like ) gets a bang on the head and all fades to black .

And then the second part of the game starts witht the exile or Revan or a mix between these 2 .

And when all gets to the end , your choices affect with who you'll end the game with .

THe random guy or Revan or Exile .
So were you suggesting that their be multiple PCs throughout the storyline?

I think the game should focus on one PC rather than trying to have multiple ones. I don't think people would like it if they got connected to the first character then all of a sudden changed to some other guy.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Revan.... Or Exile... Or Random Guy