lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do we REALLY need to know what happened to Revan next?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #41
DarthCorr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone L68362
I've seen this pop up so many times and still don't understand this vein of thinking.

Why wouldn't you want to know? He's a main character, he was your character when you first got interested in the series. He's the catalyst for almost everything that happened in that time period, and he should have a part to play in the next game.
Like the op said not to say Revan did become an almighty force god.
But seriously yes I do need to know what happened to Revan.
DarthCorr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #42
Stream
Damn...

Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
I'm hoping that we get to be Revan again - well Revan and the Exile, that would be cool.

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #43
Tarridus
Rookie

I'm probably in the minority here by saying that I really don't need to see what happens to Revan. Mainly because I really don't mind (in fact, I mainly like) open-ended endings. It allows fan-fic authors and such to create their own visions of what 'may' happen. The problem with creating a sequel based on Revan and/or the Exile is that every player has a different opinion or perspective of just who Revan and the Exile were. So the game could only be as good as we would allow it to be based on our preconceptions.

Even if they did continue the story, we'd all find flaws and things we 'wished' they'd done so I really have no problem either way. If they do, great! If not, then thats fine too, and I'd probably prefer a new story with a new cast.
Tarridus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #44
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarridus
I'm probably in the minority here by saying that I really don't need to see what happens to Revan. Mainly because I really don't mind (in fact, I mainly like) open-ended endings. It allows fan-fic authors and such to create their own visions of what 'may' happen. The problem with creating a sequel based on Revan and/or the Exile is that every player has a different opinion or perspective of just who Revan and the Exile were. So the game could only be as good as we would allow it to be based on our preconceptions.

Even if they did continue the story, we'd all find flaws and things we 'wished' they'd done so I really have no problem either way. If they do, great! If not, then thats fine too, and I'd probably prefer a new story with a new cast.
If you remember the "Terminator" series, you will remember that the second one left things open-ended. After they came out with a third movie, I was kind of bummed out. I liked how the second ending felt philosophical. We could look at "Knights of the Old Republic II" in this manner. When the Exile takes off to the Unknown Regions, to follow Revan, I think we allready know enough to make our own ending. Since Revan's story really depends on the player, I think leaving it the way it is - is more thought provoking. When you played Revan in "Knights of the Old Republic", you the player were responsible for his/her actions. If you think about it in this manner, the ending to "Knights of the Old Republic II" can be filled in by yourselves.

I don't think Revan's fate is much of a mystery.

When it comes to the Exile's fate, I didn't buy into "Knights of the Old Republic II's" story anyway. I personally didn't find it convincing enough, so I can relate with the character in anyway. Now, not many people see it my way, and that it fine as well. When a person reads a poem or novel, they take away from it their own interpretation. "Knights of the Old Republic II" just didn't do anything for me, and I felt no connection to the Exile's story. I don't think the Exile's fate is really important.

If you think about how much of a mess "Knights of the Old Republic II" is, the next developer would have a major mess to clean up. Even though there is a fan driven restoration, I personally don't think they can truely capture the original story. I believe that the fractured story of "KotOR II" is a tragedy, and its too late for Obsidian to do anything about it. "It is what it is."

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #45
Tarridus
Rookie

I found KOTOR II to be convincing enough on my end but I also see myself somewhat in a minority because I enjoyed the 2nd game more so than the first, despite the fact that KOTOR was a fantastic game on its own right.

Despite its flaws, and many holes, I liked the tone and story a great deal more because IMHO, it really made the background story of the Mandalorian Wars and Revan's role in things much more significant. But most of all, I loved the moral issues it brings up in terms of the force and the idea of a jedi 'becoming stronger for turning away from the force'. I wonder sometimes, what everyone would be saying if LA hadn't rushed out the 2nd game due to Republic Commando's then-imminent release (worst decision ever). Would we be saying the same things about that game?

But without side-railing things too much, I like to look back at how I saw Empire Strikes Back as a child. I really didn't like that movie because of the ending being 'open-ended' as opposed to 'A New Hope's satisfying conclusion. Now, when I watch the movies, I more prefer watching ESB for those same reasons and due to the darker nature of the movie, which is true as well in KOTOR 2.

Going back to the original topic though, you spoke of the Exile's fate as not being important but the same could be said about every other jedi's story in terms of the greater picture. If we look at Revan's story in the same way, then the same would be true. Yes, Revan's actions were important in relation to its affect on the galaxy but its no less compelling than the inner conflict that affected the Exile and those he/she affected. In fact, if you follow many of the morally 'grey' issues and dual identity theories found within KOTOR 2, then I could argue that TSL had a much deeper story with a greater affect on the future of the Jedi Order and to the star wars galaxy as a whole.

But thats another topic for another day.
Tarridus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #46
HK-52
Rookie

Maybe he/she can be the last enemy in K3

Apology: Please sorry me for my grammar and my spelling, my translating protocols are obsolete.
(My motherlanguaje is spanish) (Mi idioma natal es el español [castellano])

Kotor: Revenge of Revan MOD site: http://kotorrevengeofrevan.wetpaint.com/
KotOR: Revenge of Revan Thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=186405&page=1
HK-52 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #47
Scatter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Then they should have made KOTOR and TSL a FPS and not and RPG. Funny I thought a RPG was about the decisions we made. If the only thing that matter is what LA decides matters then they should not give us the choices and just make everyone have the same experience in other words a FPS.
what on earth are you on about ffs?

how does following the canonisation of characters in KotOR III in ANY way shape or form affect the choices and enjoyment you made while playing the first two games?

and more to the point, how can you be so certain it will affect the choices you make in the third game?

my initial point stands - if the exile or revan are going to play any part at all in the third game, then insisting on including sixteen different scenarios into the story to cover their sex/alignment would be absolutely absurd. i'd much rather the space on the disc was taken up with something useful and the story kept coherent.

here's a question for you - if the exile makes an actual appearance in the third game as an NPC, are you going to be screaming about how the devs have raped "your choices" when she doesn't conform to the specific model you used in TSL? or will you insist on the option to choose the head model used for her before the game begins?
Scatter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #48
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatter
here's a question for you - if the exile makes an actual appearance in the third game as an NPC, are you going to be screaming about how the devs have raped "your choices" when she doesn't conform to the specific model you used in TSL?
I already wrote about this in my original post in this thread dated 12/22/2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
That said, I would still purchase the game if it is about Revan or the Exile as I just care that the game is made.
Quote:
how does following the canonisation of characters in KotOR III in ANY way shape or form affect the choices and enjoyment you made while playing the first two games?
I have no problem with canon in any shape or form. If George Lucas decides the Sith are good and the Jedi evil and puts that as canon that is his right, as the owner of the franchise.
Quote:
what on earth are you on about ffs?
Limited choices makes it very easy to have story continuations, choices make it very difficult to continue the story in a coherent matter.
Quote:
if the exile or revan are going to play any part at all in the third game, then insisting on including sixteen different scenarios into the story to cover their sex/alignment would be absolutely absurd. i'd much rather the space on the disc was taken up with something useful and the story kept coherent.
First I am not insisting on anything I am merely writing my point of view. I just don’t see how a story will be coherent if you were darkside in KOTOR and darkside in TSL, and suddenly Revan and the Exile are lightside in TSL or vice verse. I’d rather save disc space for the story too, by just handling Revan and the Exile like Revan was handled in TSL. Even if the story is about traveling to the Unknown Region to battle the “True Sith” why would you want the story to be about anyone but the playable character you are controlling?

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #49
JinSarigit
Rookie

All throughout playing TSL I expected to run into either a wounded and imprisoned Revan, or find his remains/skeleton somewhere on Malachor V. After finishing the game and still not finding anything, I suspected that he may still be alive.

Personally I'd like to see what went on during the outbreak on the sith academy, and what Revan did during his venture in the Unknown Regions, but most importantly how the Ebon Hawk & the droids fell out of Revan's hands and into Kreia's.

Even if Revan goes to the Unknown Regions and dies, I think that it would be relevant to show/tell the tale as Revan himself has become somewhat of an icon amongst sith and jedi.

"We are not tricksters.
We are ambassadors of peace and justice."
―Ferus Olin
JinSarigit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Do we REALLY need to know what happened to Revan next?