lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The allmighty fix for most of the Crashing, errors and other things in Grim Fandango
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
bassoman
Lurker

The allmighty fix for most of the Crashing, errors and other things in Grim Fandango

The solution i chose was the best one. No problems what so ever, well nerly. had to disable direct draw and applay the patch.

You need: Windows 95 or 98, Virutal PC 2007, Grim Fandango+Patch.
Thats it.. nothing more mates.

But after that i played the game nonstop, at the third year now

Full nice guide coming soon. havnet slept for 28 hours man :O

Last edited by bassoman; 12-28-2007 at 10:22 AM.
bassoman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Good to hear you've found a good solution to many problems.

The difficulty with getting Grim Fandango working on newer machines worries me more and more, especially now with Windows Vista. I'm glad people like yourself are looking into relatively simple ways to sort it out. The only better thing would seem to be dual booting (not very convenient).

Even better would be if Microsoft made a freeware version of Windows 98. It's totally obsolete, but would help a lot of compatibility problems.

The GFN will have a thorough technical section to address ongoing issues with the game, and if you come up with a good guide for this I'll be sure to include it.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Baja
Rookie

What video card are you using? GF doesn't play nicely with the Nvidia 8800 series.
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
bassoman
Lurker

Hehe okay this is for everyone:

You are running on a Virutalised Computer, that means that the only thing that accualy is runned on hardware is the CPU, the virutal harddrive and ram. The rest is emulated. Which means that there are no problems what so ever with graphics, there are no problems with glitches and crashes (as long you got the patch and disable dxdraw at dxdiag). You can play the game at full speed, that is: No shuttering at cinematics. Yeah you got sound and yes YOU CAN PLAY FULL SCREEN.

If this isn't the best solution ever i dont know
Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Baja
Rookie

Can you do Anti-aliasing?
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
bassoman
Lurker

Nups, its plain software rendering. Its not possible with 3d acceleration when running a virtual pc. But heck, you got no bugs and crashes, aint that good enough?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > The allmighty fix for most of the Crashing, errors and other things in Grim Fandango