lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: IPs and multiple accounts
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Nancy Allen``
Banned

IPs and multiple accounts

I've been wondering, it's verboten to have two accounts from the one user, I know that. Just out of idle curiosity, what happens when there's something big, like a college say, and two members of that college join the forums here? Wouldn't they be both from the same IP?
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
It depends.

If it were, for example, someone trying to evade forum bans or other such measures by pretending to be someone else which has happened in the past, both accounts would be banned from the entire forum upon discovery and most likely so would the IP. Circumventing staff actions carries deadly consequences for the accounts in question.

If it were two people just trying to share a connection there'd be no problems at all.

I'm sure you're not planning to do anything like the former, but since you brought this topic to the table I might as well answer it thoroughly for anyone else who might be thinking about this kind of thing in the future.

We're very good at spotting people trying to be deceptive, so anyone thinking of evading bans and whatnot with second accounts will almost certainly be caught out. There are also certain factors that can determine whether two accounts are really on different computers or just on one.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Nancy Allen``
Banned

And I guess if the emails were from, say, JoeSmith (at) ncs (dot) edu and DaveJones (at) ncs (dot) edu, it would be a clue that they're both on a college server.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 12-15-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: changed email addys to avoid attracting spambots, altered names to ensure anonymity
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
That's right.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
We're very good at spotting people trying to be deceptive, so anyone thinking of evading bans and whatnot with second accounts will almost certainly be caught out.
QFE.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Hehehehe.

Ahhh, ol' LF can still give me a chuckle on the odd occasion I drop by. Nancy's last few threads here have been like watching someone set up what they think is a really great, impenetrably clever practical joke on someone, not realizing that person is watching the whole thing from a window across the street.

Topic 1) Why it's other people's fault I got kicked out of Kavar's Korner
Topic 2) Hey! Admins stopped answering my PMs!
Topic 3) So, I'll have to use a computer on the other side of campus to register my new account so you won't realize it's me and ban me, right?

...hey, where'd my access go...?!

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > IPs and multiple accounts