lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Katrina's victims ask for huge checks
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Katrina's victims ask for huge checks

Link
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.
Something tells me that they'd be willing to accept the revenues from off-shore oil drilling that takes place off the coast of Louisiana instead.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Aeroldoth
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 155
Some might be willing to simply have their guns returned which were illegally seized.
Aeroldoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Or they can do the smart thing--don't live in a coastal town that's below sea level in a hurricane zone.
"Whoa, bad hurricane. Oh, my house is under water. How did that happen?"


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
King Dando
Forumite
 
King Dando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Or they can do the smart thing--don't live in a coastal town that's below sea level in a hurricane zone.
"Whoa, bad hurricane. Oh, my house is under water. How did that happen?"
Or they could of done the smart thing, and not built a town there in the first place?

King Dando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,055
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Or they can do the smart thing--don't live in a coastal town that's below sea level in a hurricane zone.
There is also a thing called Windstorm Insurance and Flood Insurance. I am thinking of canceling the Flood Insurance since the Federal Government seems to pay claims to those that don’t even have the coverage. Extra $296.00 in my pocket per year.

People have to live where the jobs are, but they can still protect themselves against such losses.

This reminds me of asking my parents for money when I was a kid. They would ask how much do you need and I would always say fifty. Then they would tell me to come back with a lower figure. It is time for LA & MS to come back with a lower figure.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion
 
Cygnus Q'ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bowerstone Market
Posts: 1,263
Current Game: liberty city stories
The only people that should be considered are the ones who lost loved ones because of the sad and sloth-like response from FEMA and Bush.

...meaning the families of the babies and old ones who died on the road to the Superdome in blazing heat and no water for days.

How would you like to sit in the devastation that was your home and watch your mother die, then be told by the National Guard to move her body to the side of the road?

I was of the mind of complacency until I saw the very well done and quite informative documentary by Spike Lee called "When The Levy Breaks".

Guaranteed to change even the hardest of opinions.


.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
^^^^

So those that lost their homes and their livelihoods don't deserve to be compensated for the gross negligence of the Army corp of engineers?

@Jae: considering that most of the U.S. is susceptable to some form of natural disaster or another, I find your tone rather callous.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
@Jae: considering that most of the U.S. is susceptable to some form of natural disaster or another, I find your tone rather callous.
Just because someone loses their home mean we should all dig our country further into debt for them. They chose to live in New Orleans and shouldn't be surprised if a storm knocks their house away. tl;dr: yay for callousness



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
So those that lost their homes and their livelihoods don't deserve to be compensated for the gross negligence of the Army corp of engineers?
$3 quadrillion sounds about right for compensation? o_O


tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Just because someone loses their home mean we should all dig our country further into debt for them. They chose to live in New Orleans and shouldn't be surprised if a storm knocks their house away. tl;dr: yay for callousness
If they lost their home because of gross neglegence on the part of a government agency, then I guess the answer would have to be yes. Ask me how much I like it and I'll tell you the answer is "not much", but neglegence is neglegence and last time I checked our tort laws were still intact.

@tk: yeah, I think that on the surface that sounds pretty ridiculous too. I'll withhold final judgment until I hear more about why that amount is being sought.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Balderdash
Rookie
 
Balderdash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Cage
Posts: 247
Well, that $3 quadrillion claim is clearly some kind of joke if you ask me. The other $14 trillion is probably more than a little superfluous as well, but it's like the economist says: aim high and negotiate down.


...
Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Depending on the state laws, it could be punative damages. Like I said, without knowing more, I'm not ready to come down one way or the other regarding the number.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Ridiculous. When the man shows up in court, take his leg, it might bring him back to reality.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Three quadrillion dollars? That's...let me do some calculations. Okay, so they're only asking for about 200 years worth of the entire U.S. GDP. That's all. Three QUADRILLION dollars? Are these guys mentally handicapped? That's enough for every person in the entire United States to receive $1,000,000. Approximately, assuming the U.S. Population is exactly 300,000,000 people. Do we even HAVE that many bills? I think maybe if we sold Alaska to Canada, sold our entire military to the EU, and began renting out California, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Washington State, and Oregon, then everyone in the country joined the priesthood and sold all their possessions we MIGHT be able to pull that much money together, in about a decade.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
That is a really ridiculous! Those people are out of their mind! 3 Quadrillion dollars! What about people who have had their homes destroyed by house fires? Tornado victims? Crimes? Everybody else who has had a tragedy in their life? It is not possible.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,295
Three quadrillion dollars?



Those figures are totally crazy

At that price anyone is welcome to come and destroy my house!

There's no chance the guy will get anything close to that amount but even then, I've always been amazed by the amounts amounts claimed (and awarded) in some US lawsuits...
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Me Bizarro laugh, Haw Haw Haw.

They know they're not going to get it, but most every lawsuit goes that way. I mean some idiot lady spilled hot coffee on her lap and won millions. These people lost their homes, so following the same logic, the number is likly to be mathematically sound.

It's still outrageous.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #18
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Does that amount of money even exist on planet Earth?

I could say "Good for them. The government reacted horribly to this disaster. Hundreds of people watched as their family and friends died around them. Maybe if we didn't have so many damn soldiers and national guard in Iraq, there could have been more done to help the recovery effort."

Or, I could say "Who cares? You live in an area that is prone to natural disasters, so it is your own damn fault for having a hurricane destroy everything. You live below sea level, next to a part of the ocean that has always had a bad hurricane problem that is getting worse as every year passes. If you want someone to file a complaint against, go yell at mother nature or, better yet, global warming."

I can't really take a full stance on either side because I think they are both right and wrong in their own ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
If they lost their home because of gross neglegence on the part of a government agency, then I guess the answer would have to be yes. Ask me how much I like it and I'll tell you the answer is "not much", but neglegence is neglegence and last time I checked our tort laws were still intact.
Last time I checked, Katrina was the thing that destroyed their houses and familys. Regardless of human help, Katrina destroyed that place, and then destroyed it a little bit more, and finally attempted to rip it from the face of the earth and put it back under water like it used to be.

Even if we had the full national guard there to help, and full army support, I doubt it would have done much to save property. It would have probably saved many more lives, but all of those houses were long gone. Humans simply cannot compete with mother nature, or stop her ability to act as she pleases.

I can understand if these people are not getting the money they need to start a new life, but last time I checked the figures the damages to Katrina were only estimated at 125 Billion or less. I can understand fully if they were to ask for that figure to rebuild, and fully understand why they feel their government as thus far betrayed them. But the amount of money they are asking for makes them look like damn children who have no concept of money, which to me means that they should not be trusted with much at all.

They can believe that the money will make them happy. They can believe that their money will make us feel for them more. They can believe whatever delusion they want. But all they are doing is asking "We had some bad stuff happen to us. Mind if we drag all of America down with us and destroy this country so that you can be unhappy to, so then we can feel better about ourselves?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Depending on the state laws, it could be punative damages. Like I said, without knowing more, I'm not ready to come down one way or the other regarding the number.
They will never get the amount of money they want because the entire earth's economy combined could not get them that figure. Even if they did, the world's economy would collapse. Every figure I have seen thus far has estimated Katrina damages in the hundred billions, not anywhere close to the number they want.

So what. They had something bad happen to them. It happens in life. They are better off than the people who got hit by the tsunamis. They are better off than the people currently living in Sudan. Money can help, but asking for a figure that would destroy the economy to meet their own selfish aims makes them not even worth the space they take up.

I could fully understand if they were asking for a number that would help them out, rebuild new orleans, and help people get back on their feet. America should help its people.

On the other hand, the levys broke once and the hurricanes don't seem like they want to stop. Rebuilding the death trap may not be a good use of money or manpower.

I dunno where to really stand on this, but I know that at the moment the figure they are asking for is way too high for anybody to take them seriously. Its more of a bad joke to be honest.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
zelda 41
Loop Zoop
 
zelda 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,547
Current Game: FFX HD/Persona 3 Portable
ahahaha, i heard this on the news this morning. i fell out of my chair laughing XD

yeah, that IS a bit pricey


zelda 41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
^^^^
@Jae: considering that most of the U.S. is susceptable to some form of natural disaster or another, I find your tone rather callous.
I have no objections to fair compensation to right a wrong and to be used for appropriate things to help rebuild lives. I object to the sense of entitlement this seems to be, the idea that just because someone lived in New Orleans (or other affected areas) that they deserve to be handed a fistful of money. We saw the horrible abuse of the credit cards that the Red Cross handed out right after the disaster--instead of buying food, clothing or basic building necessities to rebuild their lives, people used them to buy bigscreen TVs to put in the trailers that FEMA provided for them to use while they supposedly rebuilt their lives. They knew they were living in a danger zone, just like I know I live in an area of the country that gets hit by tornadoes, as my county did just 3 days ago. You won't see me running to the gov't asking for a ton of money because the gov't couldn't protect our county from the violent force of nature over which they had no control.

The storm surge in Katrina was so high that the waves would have gone over the levy even if it had stayed intact, and even if that levy had been built to its very best, I don't think it would have survived the extreme water and wind forces that hit it.

If there are people who truly deserve some kind of compensation, then I'm for that, as long as it's used for appropriate things like rebuilding their homes and lives. What this looks to me to be, however, is a bunch of money-grubbing opportunists looking for any way to milk the disaster for whatever they can get, and that's what I find objectionable.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM   #21
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P
 
Aash Li's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Some boring hole in Michigan..
Posts: 1,918
Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Thumbs down

I have just one response to these ...people...

LOL good luck with that!
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #22
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
I gotta say, that's the biggest figure I've ever seen with a dollar sign that wasn't in jest.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #23
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
That is a really ridiculous! Those people are out of their mind! 3 Quadrillion dollars! What about people who have had their homes destroyed by house fires? Tornado victims? Crimes? Everybody else who has had a tragedy in their life? It is not possible.
If it were a simple matter of homes being destroyed via a natural disaster, I would agree with you totally. However as I have pointed out repeatedly, there is evidence that the army corps of engineers is guilty of negligence with regards to the construction of the levees which broke during the storm and led to widespread loss of life and property. There is a long standing practice of suing negligent parties when defects in their product lead to loss of life, so it isn't as though this is the first time it's ever happened.

With regards to your point specifically, I don't know how many cases of fire, tornado, crime, or tragedy in general can be tied directly to gov't negligence, so I don't know how applicable your example is. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Last time I checked, Katrina was the thing that destroyed their houses and familys.
Please see above re: negligence. You probably wouldn't sue a car company if you got into an accident but you might if the air bag didn't deploy and the seat belts failed resulting in the death of all your passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
I can understand if these people are not getting the money they need to start a new life, but last time I checked the figures the damages to Katrina were only estimated at 125 Billion or less. I can understand fully if they were to ask for that figure to rebuild, and fully understand why they feel their government as thus far betrayed them. But the amount of money they are asking for makes them look like damn children who have no concept of money, which to me means that they should not be trusted with much at all.
In tort cases, the plaintiff generally seeks two kinds of compensation: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are sought to repay for things that were lost, time that was wasted, hardship that was incurred, etc. Punitive damages are sought to "make an example" out of the company or to otherwise make such lawsuits non cost effective for the company (i.e. it cost less to get sued than fix the problem, therefore we'll just get sued, etc). So it is entirely possible that someone filed a suit requesting $125 billion (to use your number) in compensatory damages and $3 quadrillion dollars in punitive damages. It may be that some whacko filed a suit for $3 quadrillion in compensatory damage. If it's the latter then I'm with you guys. If it's the former, then it sounds much more reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
They can believe that the money will make them happy. They can believe that their money will make us feel for them more. They can believe whatever delusion they want. But all they are doing is asking "We had some bad stuff happen to us. Mind if we drag all of America down with us and destroy this country so that you can be unhappy to, so then we can feel better about ourselves?"
See above re: punitive damages. More info for those that want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
They will never get the amount of money they want because the entire earth's economy combined could not get them that figure. Even if they did, the world's economy would collapse. Every figure I have seen thus far has estimated Katrina damages in the hundred billions, not anywhere close to the number they want.
If the request is for compensatory damages, then the case might be thrown out. If the request is for punitive damages, then the case could move forward but damages awarded might be less than those requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
So what. They had something bad happen to them. It happens in life. They are better off than the people who got hit by the tsunamis. They are better off than the people currently living in Sudan. Money can help, but asking for a figure that would destroy the economy to meet their own selfish aims makes them not even worth the space they take up.
I think you might be jumping to conclusions without all the info that you need to make an informed opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
On the other hand, the levys broke once and the hurricanes don't seem like they want to stop. Rebuilding the death trap may not be a good use of money or manpower.
Indeed. If that's the case, then I think we should all be up in arms regarding the money that's currently being "thrown away" on rebuilding efforts. Keep in mind though that New Orleans is a vital international trade port and a source of domestic oil. If we don't rebuild, that will have a pretty significant impact on our economy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I have no objections to fair compensation to right a wrong and to be used for appropriate things to help rebuild lives. I object to the sense of entitlement this seems to be, the idea that just because someone lived in New Orleans (or other affected areas) that they deserve to be handed a fistful of money.
See multiple references to negligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
We saw the horrible abuse of the credit cards that the Red Cross handed out right after the disaster--instead of buying food, clothing or basic building necessities to rebuild their lives, people used them to buy bigscreen TVs to put in the trailers that FEMA provided for them to use while they supposedly rebuilt their lives.
It's true that this did happen in some cases. However none of this would have any bearing whatsoever in a criminal negligence case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
They knew they were living in a danger zone, just like I know I live in an area of the country that gets hit by tornadoes, as my county did just 3 days ago. You won't see me running to the gov't asking for a ton of money because the gov't couldn't protect our county from the violent force of nature over which they had no control.
Again, not a very applicable example but lets try another one. Perhaps the gov't installed an early warning system and told you that you would have a five minute warning for all tornadoes from that day on. Then some time later, a tornado strikes, the early warning system fails, and everyone you know is killed and your home destroyed. Later on you find out that the early warning system failed due to a design flaw that the government knew about but did not believe would be an issue. Do you just accept what is for what is or do you sue the gov't for knowingly putting your life, and the lives of everyone in your area, in danger? See the difference now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
The storm surge in Katrina was so high that the waves would have gone over the levy even if it had stayed intact, and even if that levy had been built to its very best, I don't think it would have survived the extreme water and wind forces that hit it.
Source please? If at all possible, could your source also show how the amount of water that would have gone over the top of the levees would have been comparable to the amount of water that passed through the breach? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
If there are people who truly deserve some kind of compensation, then I'm for that, as long as it's used for appropriate things like rebuilding their homes and lives. What this looks to me to be, however, is a bunch of money-grubbing opportunists looking for any way to milk the disaster for whatever they can get, and that's what I find objectionable.
Please see the above re: punitive damages.

Thanks for reading.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Achilles, with 3 quadrillion dollars, we could just purchase Canada, Mexico, and South America outright. Not with payments, outright. I mean, they might object, but money is a most persuasive speaker. These people are so stupid, they don't even deserve to GET punitive damages, and they ought to lose their share of the compensation, too.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
In tort cases, the plaintiff generally seeks two kinds of compensation: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are sought to repay for things that were lost, time that was wasted, hardship that was incurred, etc. Punitive damages are sought to "make an example" out of the company or to otherwise make such lawsuits non cost effective for the company (i.e. it cost less to get sued than fix the problem, therefore we'll just get sued, etc). So it is entirely possible that someone filed a suit requesting $125 billion (to use your number) in compensatory damages and $3 quadrillion dollars in punitive damages. It may be that some whacko filed a suit for $3 quadrillion in compensatory damage. If it's the latter then I'm with you guys. If it's the former, then it sounds much more reasonable to me.
You think 3 quadrillion dollars is a reasonable amount to seek for punitive damages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
If the request is for compensatory damages, then the case might be thrown out. If the request is for punitive damages, then the case could move forward but damages awarded might be less than those requested.
I should hope that it's far less than those requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I think you might be jumping to conclusions without all the info that you need to make an informed opinion.
In cases like this, I don't think most people would need full disclosure of all the facts before coming to an 'informed opinion'. Good old common sense would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Source please? If at all possible, could your source also show how the amount of water that would have gone over the top of the levees would have been comparable to the amount of water that passed through the breach? Thanks in advance.
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...estimony.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Please see the above re: punitive damages.
The burden of proof is on the plaintiff to prove that the amount of punitive damages is reasonable considering the circumstances. While it may be the case that some entities may have a case for large sums of punitive damages, I do not believe any court or jury anywhere will even seriously entertain the idea of handing out a sixteen-digit amount.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #26
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P
 
Aash Li's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Some boring hole in Michigan..
Posts: 1,918
Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
I would just like to point out that the federal government is not responsible for levies and bridges and roads and the like.

Its the state.
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #27
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,055
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash Li
I would just like to point out that the federal government is not responsible for levies and bridges and roads and the like.

Its the state.
Are you sure about levies? I believe it is the reasonability of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. At least they took responsibility for the failure of the levies. I do know if the waterways around the levies are navigable then nobody can work on them without the U.S. Army corps of Engineers supervision. Which I do believe the waters surrounding New Orleans are navigable.
CBS News

Now if we are talking about cost to put up and maintain that is an entirely different matter. I’m just taking about design and supervision.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineer-Mission-Water Resources



Last edited by mimartin; 01-11-2008 at 01:58 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
You think 3 quadrillion dollars is a reasonable amount to seek for punitive damages?
I would need to hear the rationale before passing judgment. At this point, we can't even state definitively that this is a request for punitive damages. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that no matter the explanation, there is raw emotion involved at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
I should hope that it's far less than those requested.
*shrugs* better hope the judge isn't sympathetic or the case against the gov't is weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
In cases like this, I don't think most people would need full disclosure of all the facts before coming to an 'informed opinion'. Good old common sense would suffice.
What are "cases like this"? I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Also, love the idea that people can make informed opinions without the facts. Hooray critical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
The burden of proof is on the plaintiff to prove that the amount of punitive damages is reasonable considering the circumstances.
Yep. Sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
While it may be the case that some entities may have a case for large sums of punitive damages, I do not believe any court or jury anywhere will even seriously entertain the idea of handing out a sixteen-digit amount.
And perhaps you are correct.

Thanks for your post.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #29
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Wah, my house got filled with water.

Gimme all the money in the worlds.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
What are "cases like this"? I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Also, love the idea that people can make informed opinions without the facts. Hooray critical thinking.
Dude, nothing is worth $3,000,000,000,000 and you know it. "cases like this" = someone making an outrageous claim to get attention. I'm quite taken aback by how much credence you're giving it. There was a reason I put this in Ahto to begin with -- it's laughable.


tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #31
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Dude, nothing is worth $3,000,000,000,000 and you know it.
If you're happy drawing that conclusion without having all the information, then all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
"cases like this" = someone making an outrageous claim to get attention.
Yes, clearly, especially since we don't know who it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I'm quite taken aback by how much credence you're giving it.
Really? How much credence is that? Seems every post I've written simply points out that we don't know why the amount was sought and should refrain from passing judgement until we do. Does that = "endorsement" in your world? Does any part of that strike you as inconsistent with any argument I've ever made about anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
There was a reason I put this in Ahto to begin with -- it's laughable.
Feel free to put it where ever you'd like.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I would need to hear the rationale before passing judgment. At this point, we can't even state definitively that this is a request for punitive damages. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that no matter the explanation, there is raw emotion involved at some point.
Aaaand that emotion is greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
*shrugs* better hope the judge isn't sympathetic or the case against the gov't is weak.
I'm sure that everyone has all the sympathy in the world for the victims of Hurrican Katrina. However, I don't think even an overly-sympathetic judge would be willing to dole out such a ludicrous sum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
What are "cases like this"? I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Also, love the idea that people can make informed opinions without the facts. Hooray critical thinking.
What tk said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
And perhaps you are correct.
I'd be willing to bet 3 quadrillion dollars on it.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #33
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Aaaand that emotion is greed.
Or anger. You're welcome to jump to whatever conclusion you'd like though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
I'm sure that everyone has all the sympathy in the world for the victims of Hurrican Katrina. However, I don't think even an overly-sympathetic judge would be willing to dole out such a ludicrous sum.
Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about then, do you? Are we done here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
What tk said.
And what I said to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
I'd be willing to bet 3 quadrillion dollars on it.
And you'd probably be right.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #34
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Achilles, you seem to have no concept of how much money they're demanding, despite how many times we say it. A $1,000,000,000 is a hell of a lot of money. They're asking for THREE MILLION TIMES THAT. You realize with this kind of money, we could end world hunger, cure almost every disease, find a cure for AIDS, Cancer, and the Avian Flu, stabilize the Middle-East, make Israel and Palestinians agree, and still have enough money left over to make Hell freeze over?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #35
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Yes, clearly, especially since we don't know who it is
For the amount claimed, it makes absolutely no difference who is making the claim. There is nobody who can pay it and there is nothing that is worth that much -- hence the only value is in making the claim for attention's sake. I don't see another rational conclusion that can be drawn.

Quote:
Seems every post I've written simply points out that we don't know why the amount was sought and should refrain from passing judgement until we do.
Two different things here about judgment.

We can certainly pass judgment on the amount sought. And I hope you do pass judgment on that without having to resort to a calculator and damage receipts.

As for the "why" behind which it was sought, it seems obvious to me that it was to get attention for something. Maybe that something *is* important. Is that perhaps what you're getting at? That maybe this person does have a claim that deserves the attention and that the ends justify means? I haven't passed judgment on that out of hand. So if that was your meaning, I'd agree.


tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Suing for say, 150 billion wouldn't be unreasonable. Suing for this much is little more than stupidity and greed, and maybe with a little bit of an attention demand, the kind you tend to get from five year olds.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #37
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Suing for say, 150 billion wouldn't be unreasonable.
Umm, yeah it would. $250,000 is more on par.

As for attention demand, well it's been working on us. I wonder what the world record is for biggest claim? Maybe that was an incentive too.


tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Achilles, you seem to have no concept of how much money they're demanding, despite how many times we say it. A $1,000,000,000 is a hell of a lot of money.
Oh, I grasp the concept just fine. You seem to think that the dollar amount actually matters even though you have no context for why the amount is being sought. Perhaps the person filing the claim hopes to permanently bankrupt the federal government and use the proceeds to finance his/her own. I hope he/she is a benevolent ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
They're asking for THREE MILLION TIMES THAT. You realize with this kind of money, we could end world hunger, cure almost every disease, find a cure for AIDS, Cancer, and the Avian Flu, stabilize the Middle-East, make Israel and Palestinians agree, and still have enough money left over to make Hell freeze over?
Perhaps that what's the plaintiff hopes to do with the awarded sum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
For the amount claimed, it makes absolutely no difference who is making the claim. There is nobody who can pay it and there is nothing that is worth that much -- hence the only value is in making the claim for attention's sake. I don't see another ration conclusion that can be drawn.
Do you mean personal attention? If so, then the "who" is absolutely essential because since "who" has not come forward, then we the "attention" explanation doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Two different things here about judgment.

We can certainly pass judgment on the amount sought. And I hope you do pass judgment on that without having to resort to a calculator and damage receipts.
And why is that?

PS: damage receipts would only be applicable for compensatory damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
As for the "why" behind which it was sought, it seems obvious to me that it was to get attention for something.
And you may be right. I don't have enough information to share your conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
May that something *is* important. Is that perhaps what you're getting at? That maybe this person does have a claim that deserves the attention and that the ends justify means?
Yes, maybe the person does and maybe the person doesn't. Without more information I can't really know either way and frankly, neither can you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I haven't passed judgment on that out of hand. So if that was your meaning, I'd agree.
Glad to hear it.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #39
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Uh, the Federal Government is never going to award them even a thousandth of this much. They're not going to bankrupt the Federal Government, as they've got no backing for their demands for this much. Punitive damages? You've got to be kidding me. The $125 Billion in compensation, plus another 2,999,875,000,000,000? That's absolutely ridiculous. I was under the impression you actually had a decent grasp of economics. I was under the impression this was one issue that would bring everyone together - the people who filed this suit are morons.

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD. THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY DOES NOT EXIST IN THE WORLD. If we turned every Euro, Yen, Peso, and every other form of currency in the world into $ and put it all into one gargantuan pile, we might be able to come up with 1/3 of this. Maybe.

They're not trying to buy back New Orleans. They're not even trying to buy Louisiana or the United States. They're trying to buy Earth, with the moon thrown in as part of the bargain.

The fact that they're grubbing for this much money...well, they don't deserve any now. How about they start mowing lawns instead of going for a Government Get Rich Quick Route?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #40
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Do you mean personal attention? If so, then the "who" is absolutely essential because since "who" has not come forward, then we the "attention" explanation doesn't make much sense.
The courts know who filed the claim so he's getting attention from them. The media reported the claim's amount, thereby drawing attention to Katrina victims. I don't know what the plaintiff wanted to draw attention to -- himself, his damages, the plight of Katrina victims, or the ineptitude of the government. I'd guess probably all of the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
We can certainly pass judgment on the amount sought.
And why is that? PS: damage receipts would only be applicable for compensatory damages.
Because punitive damages are set by judges or jurors who follow guidelines and precedents. Compensatory damages are objective. The amount sought plainly dwarfs the combination of the two. It really doesn't take any effort to see this, Achilles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
As for the "why" behind which it was sought, it seems obvious to me that it was to get attention for something.
And you may be right. I don't have enough information to share your conviction.
What are the alternatives? That the plaintiff can actually back up damages for the amount sought? That the plaintiff is insane? That this was a bad typo?

I don't have the willpower to suspend my conclusion that this is, on its face, a publicity stunt.


tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Katrina's victims ask for huge checks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.