lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Taking screenshots
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
dub
Lurker

Question Taking screenshots

How to take screenshots? What key is it? I've tried hammering a few of the function keys, but that didn't take any.
I read through the manual but also didn't find any hint of the screenshot key...

I know I can use printscreen to take one screenshot, but that's not much use to me as I want to take multiple screenshots and I don't want to have to go to: pause the game, alt-tab out and paste them into Phostoshop, alt-tab back in, every time I take one. Also using Printscreen means I can't take snaps of cut-scenes.

I know FRAPS can take screenshots but I don't want the logo over the top of my screenshots and I am not planning on buying FRAPS just for this game.

Last edited by dub; 01-12-2008 at 07:21 AM.
dub is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
There is no built-in way to take screenshots in Psychonauts. Here is some free screen capture software I'm aware of (included in this superb list that you might want to bookmark):

http://taksi.sourceforge.net/

It's open source, which is usually a good phrase to include when searching for free software as it almost always means there's no ads, no trial limitations, etc.

It does video too, but not with audio.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
dub
Lurker

Thumbs up

Hey, thanks for the info and thanks for that list.

I can't believe that some games still don't have screen capturing facilities built in... that's absolutely silly. I guess because it was a console port... but still.
It's a real shame too that they make it so hard for you to get images from the game, especially with a game that looks this nice and has such a nice art style.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Baja
Rookie

Did anyone ever find a way to edit the game, such that it would be possible to disable the HUD display?
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

No.

I actually spoke to Tim about exactly that, and while he told me a way of doing it it doesn't actually work. I assume the functionality was there while they did internal testing but disabled for the proper release.

It could be there's a way to access a debug menu in Psychonauts, but I've no idea how. I wasn't really bothered enough about it to press Tim further, but if someone wants to shoot an email off to Double Fine I can't see any harm in that.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Baja
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
No.

I actually spoke to Tim about exactly that, and while he told me a way of doing it it doesn't actually work. I assume the functionality was there while they did internal testing but disabled for the proper release.

It could be there's a way to access a debug menu in Psychonauts, but I've no idea how. I wasn't really bothered enough about it to press Tim further, but if someone wants to shoot an email off to Double Fine I can't see any harm in that.
I'll try sending them an email, what's the address?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Use info@doublefine.com.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Baja
Rookie

E-mail sent, now we wait.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
dub
Lurker

Thumbs up

Do let us know what comes of that, if anything.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Baja
Rookie

Well, it's been 5 days. No response as of yet.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Ford Cruller's Bacon Support > Taking screenshots