lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: University teaches students, "All whites are racist."
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

University teaches students, "All whites are racist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Unruh © 2007 WorldNetDaily.com
A mandatory University of Delaware program requires residence hall students to acknowledge that "all whites are racist" and offers them "treatment" for any incorrect attitudes regarding class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality they might hold upon entering the school, according to a civil rights group.
Entire story here.

Copy of the curriculum here.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't go to the University of Delaware.

Edit: After this was publicized, The University of Delaware dropped the program.

Edit 2: Curriculum link fixed.

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Last edited by Point Man; 01-14-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Obsolete Information
Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Web Rider

You know, it's not when non-whites stop pushing for equality that the civil rights movement dies, it's when non-white groups start pushing for non-white supremacy and "white guilt".

But then again it's the generation that much of non-whites were brought up in. Somewhere after king the attitude switched from "lets be as equals" to "you're grandpa screwed up, you owe me." Civil rights isn't important any more is people can make some money.

And I hate the attitude taken by many in my own party(democrat) who support this attitude instead of saying "STFU" to these people who continue to spread this attitude that non-whites can do no wrong. It's just as bigoted and discriminatory as what they're accusing whites of.

Yet, because the attitude that they can do no wrong is so prevalent, the supporters of the idea just can't see it.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Wow...just wow....I'll say one thing, the university has intestinal fortitude to try something like that even if it is a bunch of crap. I hope they aren't fond of that particular program because I'd wager it's on its way out the door.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I just love our education program.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well hopefully we can count on the University of Delaware to reject the "if you've got a problem, blame it on the nearest American" mentality, given its location. Although you never know...

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Corinthian
Banned

You know, is it just me, or do I sniff just a hint of hypocrisy? Maybe a little bit of becoming what they hate the most? I wonder what they'd think if whites started wearing collars and picking cotton. And, no, this is not one of my off-color jokes.

EDIT: And...what in the hell? Either he's very close, or the President is a white guy. This is almost as weird as a black guy joining the KKK.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
This is almost as weird as a black guy joining the KKK.
Why are we talking about Clarence Thomas again?

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
John Galt

That's just plain stupid. We get our rights by being human(and thereby sentient), not by having a certain complexion.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

What? Aren't all humans racist (in that they have unconsisus biases), in a sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
Corinthian
Banned

Okay, starting down.

Huh? What does Clarence Thomas have to do with the Ku Klux Klan?

Everyone knows racism is stupid, John.

Wrong, Silentscope, in a sense. Some of us genuinely don't give a flying flip about what one person's race is. Now, yes, there is a degree of separation, always will be - on average, people are going to tend to stick within their own little groups. It's harder for a white to understand an Arab or Asian mindset than it is to understand another white fellow's, but that's a different situation.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Aeroldoth
Rookie

The class is just one instance of a national push by Sharon Martinas of the Challenging White Supremacy (CWS) Workshop. From their "About Us":

Quote:
Challenging White Supremacy (CWS) workshop organizers believe that the most effective way to create fundamental social change in the U.S. is by building mass-based, multi-racial grassroots movements led by radical activists of color. We also believe that the major barrier to creating these movements is racism or white supremacy. One way to challenge white supremacy is to do anti-racist training workshops in our own communities. CWS has worked in the broad-based radical, multi-racial community of the Bay Area since 1993.

CWS workshops have been designed by a group of white anti-racist organizers. We believe our special responsibility is to help white social justice activists become principled and effective anti-racist organizers -- both to challenge our white privilege and to work for racial justice in all our social justice work.

We think that anti-racist training and organizing with white social justice activists complements and supports grassroots organizing and leadership development in communities of color. Both kinds of work are necessary to help build mass-based, multi-racial social justice movements.
http://www.cwsworkshop.org/resources/ARAgenda.html
Aeroldoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
Corinthian
Banned

I'm really getting tired of people whining about Racism. For the most part, institutionalized Racism has been eradicated. Yeah, there are hholdouts left. always gonna be, but good gravy, this is getting ridiculous. Of course, they're just milking it for every donation and piece of political power they can get. They're like Televangelists, only instead of Paul Crouch and Benny Hinn being their figureheads, it's people like Al Sharpton.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
Web Rider

Quote:
Huh? What does Clarence Thomas have to do with the Ku Klux Klan?
Clarence Thomas, the Supreme Court Judge guy, was known to be rather racist against blacks, even though he himself was black.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #14
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, it's probably no coincidence that many of the institutions of "higher" learning in this country are probably run by pot addled refugees from the 60s-70s.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #15
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
"Blacks cant be Racist"....... This is a term Created by Blacks obviously, the only reason it stands is because, white people are scared to speak now, if I say Whites cant be racist, does that make it true? Blacks dont have the power to act on there racism, therefore there not racist?! "I dont like you Whiteboy, But I haven't got enough Political power to beat you up, So run along now".
I found this the other day, it's about white Guilt, quite interesting...
http://streams.wpsx.psu.edu/White_Guilt10102.html

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
Balderdash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
"Blacks cant be Racist"....... This is a term Created by Blacks obviously, the only reason it stands is because, white people are scared to speak now, if I say Whites cant be racist, does that make it true? Blacks dont have the power to act on there racism, therefore there not racist?! "I dont like you Whiteboy, But I haven't got enough Political power to beat you up, So run along now".
I found this the other day, it's about white Guilt, quite interesting...
http://streams.wpsx.psu.edu/White_Guilt10102.html
If whites are afraid to speak, then it begs the question: what would they say if they were not afraid?

And the idea that a minority group can't oppress a majority group is not new, and has been an accepted sociological paradigm for decades.

It depends on how you define racism, though - the word has always had a loose definition, probably because it is such an inflammatory subject. If you understand racism to mean any kind of discrimination against a person or a group of people, based on their race, then minorities can be called racist. If you define racism as systemically oppressing another race, then it's perfectly acceptable, and indeed a logical conclusion, to say that minorities cannot be racist. The former is the laymen definition and the latter is more commonly taught at universities and discussed by sociologists.

This is very different to saying that all whites are racist, which seems to me to be completely out of left field, and honestly, a bit of a travesty.

Last edited by Balderdash; 01-14-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Balderdash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #17
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Agreed, I came off a bit uneducated in my last post, but sometimes we are made to feel like Satan in the Holy land

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
I lol and facepalm at this.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

I always wonder if some of you guy are just waiting for something like this so you can pounce, airing all your grievances about the 'horrors' of 'forced political correctness'.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Ooh, really? I hadn't noticed.

As SilentScope said, we all have ridiculous, irrational prejudices of one kind or another.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #21
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

I have a very rational hatred of cheese

Please don't post spam. ~tk102
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
MJ-W4

To me, the whole programme appears to be an April fool's joke where someone got the date entirely wrong. Maybe the guys at Delaware uni should start by studying something easy, like a calendar, for instance?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Corinthian
Banned

No, no, see, I'd be more inclined to think the lawsuit for $3 Quadrillion was a joke. This is about par for the course.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #24
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
White guilt.

[/thread]

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderdash
If you define racism as systemically oppressing another race, then it's perfectly acceptable, and indeed a logical conclusion, to say that minorities cannot be racist. The former is the laymen definition and the latter is more commonly taught at universities and discussed by sociologists.
But to an extent, the pervasiveness of the "white guilt" concept is oppression of others in a form by a minority. Oppressin, in a nutshell, is to make one set of peoples less than and or subserviant to another set. "White Guilt" treats whites like they are lesser people because of their "inherant racism".

Regardless of what universities would like me to believe, racism will always be, IMO, any form of discimination based on abstract physical colorations or places of birth. Remember, whites discriminated against other whites for a long time before blacks really came into the picture.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
For the most part, institutionalized Racism has been eradicated. Yeah, there are hholdouts left.
Yeah. Like the U.S. Justice Department.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
Corinthian
Banned

You want to back up that statement?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Racism is the irrational hatred of a particular group based usually on a physical characteristic or an idealism. The idea that the University of Delaware was promoting this kind of a program makes me wonder where exactly we are heading in our society.

For them to make the assumption that every white person there is a racist shows that there is a problem or a huge indicator that somebody who dislikes white people is in power. Frankly I am tired of the bs double standards that fly about within the culture groups. Case in point: It is not okay for a white person to call a black person a "******" or "nigga" but it is okay for a black person to call their own that. Yeah they associate that as a form of "group identity" but frankly the origins of those terms are derogatory. Same goes for calling an Italiam a "dego" or whatever other iscriminatory names there are for different groups. As for the program, does that make me a racist being the product of mixed heritage with a majority in HIspanic while the rest is Irish, Sicilian and Lithuanian German?

I think it goes to people trying to be PC and it is going overboard. Much like a discussion on another board about the Golden Compass promoting atheism. As Heston once said, "It's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!!!"

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #29
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
You want to back up that statement?
War on Drugs
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #30
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
If you define racism as systemically oppressing another race, then it's perfectly acceptable, and indeed a logical conclusion, to say that minorities cannot be racist.
Ever hear of South Africa?

Quote:
This is very different to saying that all whites are racist, which seems to me to be completely out of left field, and honestly, a bit of a travesty.
QFT

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Balderdash
Rookie

Well, true I suppose. Apartheid is a fairly unique period of history where a sovereign state was controlled by the minority group, who ruled over the majority group with a proverbial iron fist. They only won their independence in 1960 though, and the argument would be that the NP would not have have been able to maintain their regime for as long as they did without commonwealth support. That's another discussion for another time though... I don't want to take your thread off topic.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #32
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Who is Dr. Shakti Butler, the individual who presented this course for the University of Delaware Office of Residence Life?
(if you didn't guess already she is not "white") But for the record, I am "white" or "Caucasian" as that is what I generally check when queried about my race or ethnicity on any various number of institutional forms I'm obliged to complete from time to time.

A couple of quotes from Dr. Butler's University of Delaware curriculum jimbo linked to that really irked me:
Quote:
In response to the white nationalism of "Manifest Destiny," and its current derivative "illegal alien," contemporary Chicano/a activists proudly wear T-shirts with a map of "Occupied America," over the motto, "We didn't cross the border. The border crossed us."
Living in the border state of Arizona this is a hot button issue for most people in my state. I am not at all interested in "empowering" illegal immigrants from Mexico or Latin America or really from any foreign country with such ideas despite the fact that I believe Dr. Butler would classify my view as "racist" in nature.
Quote:
WHITE PRIVILEGE: A privilege is a right, favor, advantage, immunity, specially granted to one individual or group, and withheld from another. (Websters. Italics mine.)
So I opened up another Firefox tab and went to www.websters.com and got rerouted to http://dictionary.reference.com/. I searched for the term "white privilege" and got the following result
Quote:
There are no dictionary entries for white privilege, but white, privilege are spelled correctly.
- Source: dictionary.com
In short I did not care at all for how Dr. Butler took the definition for "privilege" and somehow associated that with "white privilege."

click here for Dr. Butler's curriculum vitae
- the fact that she obtained her education in NYC and San Francisco raises red flags with me as I've found that my core set of values often greatly conflict with people from these two locations.
- Interestingly enough, I also noted that the doctor's curriculum vitae does not list the University of Delaware despite the fact that dozens of other collegiate level educational institutions are listed.

click here for a Santa Monica College student's account of her experience with Dr. Butler

Article about Dr. Butler in St. Mary's College of California Collegian

I do consider the 2nd definition of power Dr. Butler outlined in the curriculum to be valid for me.
Quote:
2. Power is the ability to define reality and to convince other people that it is their definition. (Definition by Dr. Wade Nobles)
I have no doubt that power as defined above is what Dr. Butler is attempting to achieve. I am also sure that racism, what I define as one or more persons adverse treatment of one or more other persons based on difference in skin color, is alive and kicking in America, Dr. Butler's course did not have power sufficient to change my view on what racism is.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
If you define racism as systemically oppressing another race, then it's perfectly acceptable, and indeed a logical conclusion, to say that minorities cannot be racist.
Heard of the Zealots?

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #34
Balderdash
Rookie

Jewish fundamentalist terrorists and violent pragmatists. They couldn't exactly be termed racist though, as far as I'm aware. Care to elaborate?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #35
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
God this is one of the most racist news articles I have ever seen. If you go to practically any town in the world you can see racism beyond black and white. 40 years ago it was that black people got lynched. But now Jews are being beat up in bars and muslim's are being suspected of carrying guns in their coats. I have said this before on many forums

"Racism is the one reason why the world is so f***ed up" There are many black people who are racist to white people. That university is probably going to create a black KKK and start lynching white people claiming they are "the most racist race on the planet and must die"

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #36
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

though technically jews and muslims are not "people" at all...
not a race, but more like differences in religious/cultural bearings.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Jewish fundamentalist terrorists and violent pragmatists. They couldn't exactly be termed racist though, as far as I'm aware. Care to elaborate?
Well, no, I suppose being avowed to kill every Roman you meet in Palestine isn't racist....

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 01-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
Corinthian
Banned

Actually, Poiuy, Arabs are a race, and so are Jews. Not every Jew follows Judaism, and not everyone following Judaism is a Jew.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #39
Balderdash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
Well, no, I suppose being avowed to kill every Roman you meet in Palestine isn't racist....
It's a bloody piece of history; arguably it's no way to conduct a revolution (the romans all but eradicated them) but I would definitely hesitate to call it racism.

The Roman Empire had conquered Judea. The Zealots were definitely pragmatists but the phrase "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" would seem to apply.

Quote:
Actually, Poiuy, Arabs are a race, and so are Jews. Not every Jew follows Judaism, and not everyone following Judaism is a Jew.
Terracentral mentioned Jews and Muslims, not Jews and Arabs. And everyone that follows Judaism is a Jew. We don't call them Judaists, or Judaians, do we?

Last edited by Balderdash; 01-18-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #40
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I wouldn't call Judaism a race so much as a culture. You can be culturally Jewish but not practice Judaism, for instance. However for instance I had a friend in high school who was Pakistani and converted to Judaism, so I would call her religiously Jewish but not culturally Jewish. It's a difficult distinction for some people to make. I consider the religious aspect and cultural aspect two completely different things.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > University teaches students, "All whites are racist."