lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Ban on Sagging Pants Debated on Dr. Phil
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
MdKnightR

The Ban on Sagging Pants Debated on Dr. Phil

We've discussed this here before, so I thought I'd give all you debaters a heads-up. The ban on sagging pants is the topic of discussion on Dr. Phil Monday. It looks like its going to be pretty heated, so I plan to watch. We can discuss it more in depth here after it airs.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Why not spend time talking to these retarded little kids about the saggy pants thing? $20 says most of them don't even understand how it came about.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Didn't Dr. Phil used to have dignity?

Wasn't he the guy who tried to keep troubled marriages together? And give advise to those who are getting divorced? And help parents with their out-of-control kids?

Now he's discussing Britney Spears and debating the ever so important issue of sagging pants?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
MdKnightR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Didn't Dr. Phil used to have dignity?

Wasn't he the guy who tried to keep troubled marriages together? And give advise to those who are getting divorced? And help parents with their out-of-control kids?

Now he's discussing Britney Spears and debating the ever so important issue of sagging pants?

He still does those things......and Britney Spears does need help regardless of what you think about her. For the record, I don't like her either. And its not the "sagging pants" that is the real issue, it is all the underlying problems that are associated with it such as gangs (aka "out of control kids"), public decency, and the notion that speaking out against it is inherently racist. The pants themselves are a symptom of bigger issues.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
They banned what now? Normaly I would think this a poor joke, but since it is in kavars..........

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Stream
Damn...

Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
Wow and I thought the UK were nuts for banning smoking in every enclosed space - Nah seriously the out of control kids are a big issue, I'm only 24 but things have changed a lot since I was eighteen... feels like a century ago. Something does need to be done about it though, it's only going to get worse if not.

--Stream

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Still, i think banning baggy pants and what not is a bad bad idea. For reasons unknown someone out there if forgetting about all the civil rights stuff and try to impose unreasonable control over people. What next? Nationalwide dresscode and uniform?
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
John Galt

Interesting. Wonder if this little debate will make me think any higher of Dr. Phil...

by the way, MdKnightR, every time I see your avatar I feel all patriotic and civic-minded. Just an observation.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Interesting. Wonder if this little debate will make me think any higher of Dr. Phil...
Dr. Phil is just another person...

@ the issue of the ban on sagging pants-- I really wouldn't/don't mind it. I don't personally wear my pants like that, so it really has no effect on me.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

I support the ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Aeroldoth
Rookie

I oppose the ban. As PW noted, there is that pesky little civil rights thing.

Plus, I like the eye candy.

Last edited by Aeroldoth; 01-26-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Aeroldoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
MdKnightR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroldoth

You like seeing pants so low that you can see a guy's skid marks?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Isn't there anything more important for this Dr. to discuss?

"First the pants, then the starving"?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
lol!

I totally support the ban.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
@ the issue of the ban on sagging pants-- I really wouldn't/don't mind it. I don't personally wear my pants like that, so it really has no effect on me.
I don't understand this mindset at all. "I don't personally do something, so if it's banned, then I don't care.

Imagine having such a mindset during a time like the civil rights movement. "I'm not black, so I don't care if they have rights."

Last edited by TK-8252; 01-27-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
DarthVandar205

I dont think this is going to go anywhere. Its unconstitutional. They cant require people to not wear baggy pants. This is not something that you make into a law, its something that shouldnt even have to be mentioned. I think the effort needs to be put into going after gangs and dealing with all the underlying problems young people have. Telling people to pull up their pants isnt going to change anything. Besides the cops have better things to do. This is almost as much of a waste of time for them as stopping to get donuts.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #17
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
What eye-candy? Every person I've seen with sagging pants it's directly blocking any ability to size up the ass. Plus most of them don't have nice asses in the first place, hence the sagging.

[/angry-gay-rampage-ness]

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #18
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVandar205
I dont think this is going to go anywhere. Its unconstitutional. They cant require people to not wear baggy pants. This is not something that you make into a law, its something that shouldnt even have to be mentioned. I think the effort needs to be put into going after gangs and dealing with all the underlying problems young people have. Telling people to pull up their pants isnt going to change anything. Besides the cops have better things to do. This is almost as much of a waste of time for them as stopping to get donuts.
What about guns-for-belts programs then?

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #19
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
I don't understand this mindset at all. "I don't personally do something, so if it's banned, then I don't care.

Imagine having such a mindset during a time like the civil rights movement. "I'm not black, so I don't care if they have rights."
IMO, your statement is out of context.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #20
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Out of context? That's exactly your context. Your words:
Quote:
I don't personally wear my pants like that, so it really has no effect on me.
Did you mean to say TK's analogy does not apply? Explain please.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, how should I explain this...okay, the analogy that TK-8252 used IMO, is of context. We are talking about the ban on sagging pants, not something so huge as the civil rights movement. That is my opinion. Hope that cleared it up. I know that I probably shouldn't have said what I did, but rather refine.

-Rev

Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Oh, I'd agree that my analogy might not be the best, but I do think that it holds merit. I didn't have to use civil rights as the example; I could have used something else.

"I don't drink apple juice, so if it were banned, then I wouldn't care."

(Unless of course you do drink apple juice.)

This is also a similar mindset I see with the smoking debate, although I don't want to go too far off-topic. "I don't smoke, so if it's banned, then I wouldn't care."

Why not live and let live? Why not stand up for the rights of others to do as they wish? You know, as in: "I disagree with what you have to say, but will fight to the death to protect your right to say it."
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Yeah, I hardly know anything on debating, for LF is really my only exposure to debating. I am learning more and more every day. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR
I would certainly hat to see that, as always.

But I would happily support that hutt sagging his pants showing his stinkin skid marks. Point, this is an extremely bad way to solve a problem. Its basically a severe invasion to civil rights in return for minimal effect on fighting crime.

"I may not agree with your sagging pants but I will defend to the death your right to wear it" -- some old dude.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
Aeroldoth
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino
What eye-candy? Every person I've seen with sagging pants it's directly blocking any ability to size up the ass. Plus most of them don't have nice asses in the first place, hence the sagging.

[/angry-gay-rampage-ness]
I was referring to the front, not the rear. Most guys with sagging pants wear boxers. Boxers can be revealing... especially if they're undersized.

I got loads of eye candy as a pizza driver.

Quote:
"I don't drink apple juice, so if it were banned, then I wouldn't care."

(Unless of course you do drink apple juice.)
Martin Nimoeller's quote is something I wish people would remember more often.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #26
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
This reminds me of the attempt to ban the zoot suit in LA during WWII, except that zoot suits were/are cool and sagging pants are tasteless. Plumber's butt is now fashionable?! Great.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #27
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
I was referring to the front, not the rear. Most guys with sagging pants wear boxers. Boxers can be revealing... especially if they're undersized.

I got loads of eye candy as a pizza driver.
So, let me get this straight, You think that male parts are eye-candy?! I don't understand, could you please clarify a tad more. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Plumber's butt is now fashionable?! Great
I am so lost with today's fashion. Eh, maybe thats a good thing.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
You think that male parts are eye-candy?! I don't understand, could you please clarify a tad more. Thanks!
Some people like to engage in sexual relations with males. Often they're female, sometimes male, and on rare occasion a hermaphrodite.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #29
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
As for the sagging pants, It depends on the localle. If they ban them in schools, I can understand that. They don't allow clothing that is too revealing. This is just an extension of that. And actually, Aeroldoth has pointed out exactly the reason they should be banned. Any clothing that allows genetalia to be seen in public is subject to restriction based on public indecency laws(though I must admit we're a bit puritan in comparison to other countries).
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #30
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for clarifiying El Sitherino. Good point Tommycat!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #31
MdKnightR

I was quite surprised by the show myself. I couldn't believe that Al Sharpton was actually making sense! I also see what should be the middle ground in the issue....campaigning against saggin' with music and advertising is a much better alternative to outlawing it. Dallas, TX actually went from "banning" to campaigning against it with billboards and some help from hip-hop stars.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #32
Aeroldoth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Plumber's butt is now fashionable?! Great.
Why is it that when people speak of or envision a male showing ANY amount of skin, then the male MUST be unattractive?? Take a look at these images, which have been floating around the net for some time:

Paris, France vs. Paris, Kentucky

Obviously, we are meant to consider one of them attractive, and the other not. I couldn't find a similar comparison with males, but it seems that people think that males with low-riders must be exclusively of the second image type. Males showing a little extra can be just as hot as females showing a little extra. [/rant]

Quote:
So, let me get this straight, You think that male parts are eye-candy?! I don't understand, could you please clarify a tad more. Thanks!
I think El Sitherino's dry humor answered this perfectly. Had... what he said not occurred to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
And actually, Aeroldoth has pointed out exactly the reason they should be banned. Any clothing that allows genetalia to be seen in public is subject to restriction based on public indecency laws(though I must admit we're a bit puritan in comparison to other countries).
We are quite puritan, a fact that I think has troubled this country since inception, but that's a different discussion. (H. L. Mencken quote)

While I was referring to male exposure, I was also referring to male bulges, nothing more than you might see at any beach or pool. And IME low pants tend to be most common in poor neighborhoods, areas where the law is not highly regarded... or enforced.

As I said earlier, I think it illegal to try to enforce a public dress code, but it also avoids the real issues, whatever you believe them to be. If you think low pants leads to X, then deal with X. Making everybody pull their pants up won't suddenly fix society's ills, any more than ending video games or music videos will somehow improve people. "Darn that rock music, it made my boy start smoking cigarettes!"
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #33
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
I don't call it a dress code to require pants not to be sagged to the point of exposure. I would support a ban on persons(note male or female makes no diffference in this case) appearing in public with boxers on that have no way to secure the front.

No, the sagging pants are no more protected than a guy wearing boxers in public(which is against the law in some places).
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #34
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
I don't call it a dress code to require pants not to be sagged to the point of exposure. I would support a ban on persons(note male or female makes no diffference in this case) appearing in public with boxers on that have no way to secure the front.

No, the sagging pants are no more protected than a guy wearing boxers in public(which is against the law in some places).
Wow, I bet Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan would hate it if you were making laws. Every picture of them "down there" without underwear would be used against them in a court of law!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #35
John Galt

As an aside, I'm not a fan of Paris, KY. The place.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #36
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Public performances are different. You pay to get in. And actually yes they could be cited for public indecency anyway without me making the laws. In some areas it is possible to get a public indecency ticket for having your fly down on your pants. Their celebrity status tends to protect them a bit anyway(whether that is right or not isn't being debated). So that is irrelevant. Heck in some areas it is illegal for a man to be on a public street with his shirt off(now that is insane). I don't have to be making laws for it to be possible for a person to get a public indecency ticket for having exposed genetalia.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #37
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
I think El Sitherino's dry humor answered this perfectly. Had... what he said not occurred to you?
Sorry, I truly am. I was extremely tired because I was researching WWII facts on the net for a couple of hours, and really didn't know what your gender was up until last night. I was simply tired, so once again sorry!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #38
MdKnightR

Quote:
Public performances are different. You pay to get in. And actually yes they could be cited for public indecency anyway without me making the laws. In some areas it is possible to get a public indecency ticket for having your fly down on your pants. Their celebrity status tends to protect them a bit anyway(whether that is right or not isn't being debated). So that is irrelevant. Heck in some areas it is illegal for a man to be on a public street with his shirt off(now that is insane). I don't have to be making laws for it to be possible for a person to get a public indecency ticket for having exposed genetalia.

About 20 years ago, Gene Simmons was cited in Columbus, GA for indecent exposure for dropping his pants on stage. He claims that the suspenders on his outfit came loose and, in return, exposed his underwear. Doesn't sound too far removed from the issue at hand.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #39
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
I was also referring to male bulges
Wait, you mean pants are designed to de-bulge?

I feel ripped off.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #40
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
About 20 years ago, Gene Simmons was cited in Columbus, GA for indecent exposure for dropping his pants on stage. He claims that the suspenders on his outfit came loose and, in return, exposed his underwear. Doesn't sound too far removed from the issue at hand.
Yeah and those same laws are still on the books, just not as tightly enforced...

Though now there is precident for performances where the person is required to pay a fee to view the event(otherwize acts like GWAR would have a hard time performing).
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > The Ban on Sagging Pants Debated on Dr. Phil