lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Way The World Dies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
You kidding me people?
The world is going to end December 12, 2013. There will be a huge massive earthquake that will swallow the earth whole and then will leave the world in silence.

Hey that's what them Mesoamericans believe. Or you could believe the CHristian version in which there will be peace in the Middle East and then Israel will be attacked from the east by Russia, Persia and Ethiopia. Then THe Repture and then Tribulation.

Heck I've heard that the aliens were coming to get us. All goes to what you are willing to believe.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #42
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

The matrix goes BSOD.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #43
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Nah, it runs on on a bunch of Playstations connected over the internet.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #44
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
If that were the case then we would have electrical meltdown. Seriously though I think it is a matter of perspective. There are those who believe the sun will go nova on us, others think that an asteroid will hit the earth. It's a matter of what your personal belief system is and what the evidence siggests to you.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #45
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
and some people, like me, belive tht pretty much everything will happn. if anyone knows how to destroy tuff betr than humans, it's God, but as a believer i'm not scared. black holes, supernovas, asteroids, earthquakes...

Quote:
You kidding me people?
The world is going to end December 12, 2013. There will be a huge massive earthquake that will swallow the earth whole and then will leave the world in silence.

Hey that's what them Mesoamericans believe.
I thought they thought the earth was goign to go into an all life-killign ice age in 2012...

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #46
Weiser_Cain
Forumite

The sun will expand but if we're still around in some form we can just move the earth. Keeping it around until the universe goes dark.
Weiser_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #47
hellhawk
Rookie

as if my opinion is ever read, while im fairly sure it woult be seeing the size of this monster thread... i think the sun go boom in 3975 (like astrodomis said) and kill us all.
hellhawk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #48
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellhawk
as if my opinion is ever read, while im fairly sure it woult be seeing the size of this monster thread... i think the sun go boom in 3975 (like astrodomis said) and kill us all.
It will not kill me, and no it will not be my flame retardant underware that saves me. I plan to be long dead by 3975. So good luck with all that.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #49
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellhawk
The Sun's only halfway through it's life cycle. It won't "go boom" in 3975.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #50
Corinthian
Banned

Astrodomis? Is that like Nostradamus, but in Space?

The most likely reason for the Earth's destruction is imminent domain. We're sitting slap in the middle of where they're planning on putting in a new hyperspace route.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #51
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
^^^^^
Unfortunately. How do you think that the moon has all of those 'impact craters'?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #52
Arcesious

Don't forget this possibility:

If the Apophis asteroid does coem very close to earth but doesn't hit it in 2036, it could still hit the moon. And if it hits the moon just right, we could have a meteor shower comign off the moon at the earth as a meteor shower of giant moonrocks. That, and if it hits the moon at a high enough velocity and just the right angle, it could knock the moon off of it's stable orbit, and make the moon crash into earth...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #53
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Who are we trying to predict the future? No one knows exactly how the world is going to end. So all that we can do is live our lives to the very fullest.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #54
Arcesious

All i know is that i believe I'll go to heaven when I die. No matter how unfounded that is, I liek being able to not be afraid of death like most everyone else in this world. I just don't want a painful death is all. I have a very low threshhold for pain. I'm prayign for rapture of dying in my sleep. Basically i agree with Rev7.
(Athiests please don't yell at me because i believe that)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #55
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
You are entitled to your opinions Arc, as everyone else here and in the world is.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #56
1jrJedismom
Rookie

I think it will be much our own doing. We are destroying nature left and right. Everything from animal species to plant. The time will come when the earth will not be able to support any life form. We are Poluting water sources, clearing rain forests. China is one example. They do not produce enough food to feed their population. I imagine we will reach a population level where we no longer have the land resourses to feed ours either. The plants and animals will be gone with no way of reestablishing them.
1jrJedismom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #57
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

That will not happen as it opposes the self regulating nature of life. Life cannot destroy itself.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #58
Arcesious

What law? We humans are on top of the food chain. We could destroy every form of life on the entire planet if we wanted to. Maybe we're illegally disbeying that law of nature now. How hard is it to fathom that? Life, in the human kind, can destroy itself and other life. We are the equation in the law of nature that messes everything up.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #59
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Including bacterias and microorganism? I doubt that. And I wasn't talking about human species life. I was talking about life.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #60
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
That will not happen as it opposes the self regulating nature of life. Life cannot destroy itself.
We can destroy ourselves and we are living beings. Classic example is nuclear warfare. We end up killing ourselves either from the blast or poisoning. Of course there is that saying that life finds a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious
I thought they thought the earth was goign to go into an all life-killign ice age in 2012...
Thinking The Day After are you? That was actually from Aztecan lore. It is what they predicted would happen at the end of the Fifth Age Ollintonatiuh, the age we are in now. Funny enough it is very similar to events predicted in the Bible in the Book of Revelation which mentions a severe earthquake and a period of silence from heaven.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #61
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
Of course there is that saying that life finds a way.
That is what I talk about. Life has not made it over the past million years and that against all odds because there is a switch somewhere labeled "naaaah". That, of course, doesn't mean it's impossible for chosen lifeforms to head down the "wrong" route resulting in extinction of their own and other species. However that doesn't happen for destruction, like it may seem, but for expansion and spreading.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #62
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If humanity doesn't destroy the earth first, then its end will come when the sun becomes a red giant.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #63
1jrJedismom
Rookie

mega drought

I was just reading an article in National Geographic (Feb 08 issue) talking about the recient drought and the decline of our water supply. It seems that throughout history, there have been what they call mega droughts. What we call normal weather is infact a wet period. The Anasazi abandond their pueblo during a drought period in the 13th century. We seem to be at the start of one of these mega drought periods. Already it has been shown that Lake Powel is at 50% capacity and droping. We are headed into a dust bowl period. Is a tragedy, but the gient Sequoias (2000 yr old) may not survive.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #64
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Everyone on the Equator shall cook and everyone away from it shall freeze.

Wear your sunscreen, 'tis good for health.

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #65
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

This... is a very disheartening thread.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #66
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon
Wear your sunscreen, 'tis good for health.
I think you mean grab your coats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
This... is a very disheartening thread.
Well of course it is, after all it is named The Way The World Dies.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #67
1jrJedismom
Rookie

But, somehow the cockroaches survive
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #68
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jrJedismom
I was just reading an article in National Geographic (Feb 08 issue) talking about the recient drought and the decline of our water supply. It seems that throughout history, there have been what they call mega droughts. What we call normal weather is infact a wet period. The Anasazi abandond their pueblo during a drought period in the 13th century. We seem to be at the start of one of these mega drought periods. Already it has been shown that Lake Powel is at 50% capacity and droping. We are headed into a dust bowl period. Is a tragedy, but the gient Sequoias (2000 yr old) may not survive.
If the "dry period" happened 700 someodd years ago, and the Giant Sequoias are 2000 years old, then logically they went through the previous dry period at a time when they were at least half their age. Which meant they were more susceptible to drought, if one can even claim a thousand year old tree is susceptible to drought. Therefore, I think it stands to reason that they'll survive a second one.

Fortunately for us, we know how to convert sea water into fresh water, maybe a "mega drought" will simply kick us into gear about doing it, it would be doubleplus good.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #69
1jrJedismom
Rookie

The scientist in the article bring up the addition of glabal warming and bark beatles. They are already seeing a change in "landscape" in the southwest. The Pinion and Juniper alongh with other drought resistant plants are dieing off. The Beatles are eating the Ponderosa,Lodgepole pine and Douglas fir too. Since these Beatles attack trees weakend by drought, I wonder?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #70
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Personally i believe the end of the world will be caused by micro black holes accumulating inside the earth to the point of consuming the entire planet.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #71
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Good theory you have going there HerbieZ. Very "outside-the-box" type of thinking.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #72
Arcesious

A black hole can't form inside Earth. It's not massive and dense enough. For example: Jupiter essentially could becoem a star if it was massive enough. If a whole ton of matter and energy is is great enough quantity, it can become a black hole. Earth is very tiny. Micro black-holes are no more different in the way they form than normal black holes, they're just more dense and small. If a micro-black hole was inside earth right now, we'd die instantly.

However, we could still get killed by a black hole nearby or a collapsing black hole... However, if there was a collapsing black hole nearby, we'd be able to see it by checkign for gamma rays, and there isn't one liek that naywhere nearby, because it would be huge. Really huge. We're talking so huge most of the universe would probably go boom. It would have to be a lot of solar masses in size before it would implode on it's own gravity.

Wiki on black holes. Very interesting, while at the same time, terrfying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

I liked the ingenuity of the idea though.

( I wonder what woudl happen if a black hole ran into another black hole...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #73
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
That is what I talk about. Life has not made it over the past million years and that against all odds because there is a switch somewhere labeled "naaaah". That, of course, doesn't mean it's impossible for chosen lifeforms to head down the "wrong" route resulting in extinction of their own and other species. However that doesn't happen for destruction, like it may seem, but for expansion and spreading.
Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia. Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #74
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi dude
Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia. Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?
Agreed, it sounds a lot more likely.

Can I request this thread be closed? there is a bit of on argument breaking loose--

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #75
Corinthian
Banned

There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #76
Arcesious

Okay, new idea: the end of the entire universe will occur when two black holes that are at critical mass collide with each other and obliterate everything.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #77
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst
Originally Posted by jedi dude
Well first of all JM12, is not a dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
However, we could still get killed by a black hole nearby or a collapsing black hole... However, if there was a collapsing black hole nearby, we'd be able to see it by checkign for gamma rays, and there isn't one liek that naywhere nearby, because it would be huge. Really huge. We're talking so huge most of the universe would probably go boom. It would have to be a lot of solar masses in size before it would implode on it's own gravity.
GMBs are bad. Especially if they are close. BAD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
( I wonder what woudl happen if a black hole ran into another black hole...
I think that I can answer this question because I have watched about nearly (if not nearly) every show on the History Channel about GMBs and Black Holes. I could very well be wrong though. I think that they form a Supermassive black hole (It doesn't say on this page though) As you said, very interesting and scary stuff.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #78
Arcesious

So if two black holes a critical mass collided, they would emmit gravitational waves and disrupt and fluctuate time and space in the entire effected are, according to wiki. That would really suck if that happened...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #79
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst
Can I request this thread be closed? there is a bit of on argument breaking loose--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
Well in basic evolution, it's survival of the fittest. Often the strongest is a single celled organism. Look at bacteria, single celled and has been around for millennia.
Not stronger, but faster and more flexible regarding adaptivity than higher lifeforms usually are. They also live at whatever places which are pretty safe when it comes to the commonly known global killer catastrophes.

Quote:
Wouldn't suprise me if we killed ourselves off and there it is. Circle of Life anyone?
Well that's basically what I said, isn't it?

Quote:
Okay, new idea: the end of the entire universe will occur when two black holes that are at critical mass collide with each other and obliterate everything.
What's a black hole at critical mass? And if two black holes collide, they basically just form a "bigger" black hole. Big galaxies are supposed to have the largest black holes "known" within their centers, and the collision of galaxies is a pretty sure thing to happen in out there. Eventually their black holes collide, causing something best described as "**** hitting the fan", but obviously the universe is still here.

Quote:
So if two black holes a critical mass collided, they would emmit gravitational waves and disrupt and fluctuate time and space in the entire effected are, according to wiki.
When two or more black holes are going to collide they would orbit around each other for some time before they finally merge, that would produce more intense gravitational waves than the actual merge itself. However, they had to be *really* close to us anyway (by astronomical standards) because gravitational waves become weaker with increasing distance to the source.

Quote:
That would really suck if that happened...
I think with two black holes floating around it would really be of *zero* importance whether they'd collide eventually or not.

Two super massive black holes are about to collide after their galaxies started merging millions of years ago.

More about black hole mergers.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #80
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
^Nevertheless, there's no denying that it would really suck.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > The Way The World Dies