lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Duke Nukem Forever this year?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #41
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I woudn't mind that as the official boxart. Cause people who know will look at it and recognise it instantly, but people who don't know will be like "wtf is that?" and we shall pity those people...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #42
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Is that in 256 colours? The box has a seal of WIN from me. I'm surprised it made it through - the marketers would probably have come out with swords on this one. I wish the PC version has an installer and all that just like back in the 90s. Is it too early to start making more 90s-nostalgia games?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #43
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Is that in 256 colours? The box has a seal of WIN from me. I'm surprised it made it through - the marketers would probably have come out with swords on this one. I wish the PC version has an installer and all that just like back in the 90s. Is it too early to start making more 90s-nostalgia games?
Well, the 90's was more than a decade ago a this point, and I knew plenty of people who were nostalgic about the 80's in the early '00s, so I'd say this year's when 90s-nostalgia really becomes acceptable.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #44
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

come now my pessimistic friend...the game was playable at PAX...it's coming!
There have been other games (and mods) that were reported as playable and then never came out.

Until I can play it myself, this is just another c***tease in an endless string of 'em.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #45
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
From GameInformer:

Are you a fan of Borderlands and Duke Nukem? Well, you're in luck. 2K and Gearbox have come up with a Borderlands related plan to let you play an early demo of Duke Nukem Forever.

The Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club is basically just a code tossed into the upcoming Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. When this super pack of Borderlands content lands on October 12 (including DLC packs The Zombie Island or Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and the recently released Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution), you'll likely be able to stare at this code for months before actually being able to play any DNF.

By the way, does anyone think this punishes the true Borderlands fans who have already bought the game and all of the DLC? Where's the Duke code for those people?

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #46
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
If this comes out, it will make money whether it's good or not.

The question is, will they respect this preorder?:

Wow. The ink is still on that thing (let alone legible) after all this time?

TBH I would have demanded my money back long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I woudn't mind that as the official boxart. Cause people who know will look at it and recognise it instantly, but people who don't know will be like "wtf is that?" and we shall pity those people...
Pity? Why? Does it not inspire curiosity for the...less knowledgeable crowd? Enough to want to check it out?

Quote:
Hmm...a decade+ has passed since the 90s...and they're already re-releasing SNES titles...I'm thinking no, not too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
From GameInformer:

Are you a fan of Borderlands and Duke Nukem? Well, you're in luck. 2K and Gearbox have come up with a Borderlands related plan to let you play an early demo of Duke Nukem Forever.

The Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club is basically just a code tossed into the upcoming Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. When this super pack of Borderlands content lands on October 12 (including DLC packs The Zombie Island or Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and the recently released Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution), you'll likely be able to stare at this code for months before actually being able to play any DNF.

By the way, does anyone think this punishes the true Borderlands fans who have already bought the game and all of the DLC? Where's the Duke code for those people?
Link-o to the article... please?

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #47
JediAthos

Update: Duke Nukem Forever gets a release date

From GameInformer.com:

Duke Nukem Forever has been in development for a little while. To give you a sense of just how much time has passed since it was first announced, Gran Turismo--a series known for its punctuality--saw releases 1-5 hit shelves in the intervening years. Skepticism turned to actual anticipation last September, when Gearbox unveiled Duke Nukem Forever in playable form at PAX. OK, so the game was really, really, real. A lingering question remained, however: When would we be able to finally take this thing home and play it?

As it turns out, we now know when that's happening.

"Somehow the guys at Game Informer magazine discovered Duke Nukem Forever's launch date before I did," joked Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software and executive producer of Duke Nukem Forever. "But I cannot imagine any better video game news source team than Game Informer to reveal the moment of truth for the most inconceivable, incorrigible and inspiring turn around story in the history of the video game industry – the coming of Duke Nukem Forever on May 3, 2011."

“The moment fans all over the world have been waiting for is almost here,” says Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “May 3, 2011 marks Duke’s return as he unleashes his brash and brutally honest wit on the world. His return is going to be epic and one that will make video gaming history!”

May 3 is the North American release date. May 6 is worldwide

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ease-date.aspx

There was a trailer associated with the article but I didn't post it as it is decidedly not PG-13...

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #48
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
If the game is as Duke says at the end "after 12 years it should be", then it should be fun. Graphics in the trailer were pretty sweet, but should be after 12 years or so.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #49
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
ok, i'm finally excited to play this game now. i guess after 12 years of anticipation, i ****ing should be.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #50
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's been delayed.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #51
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
I love Gearbox's sense of humour

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #52
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
This is actually awesome.

Need Help? massage message me
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #53
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
Shocking.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #54
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Oh. Crap.

Ah well, at least they broke it to us in an amusing way.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #55
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Hmm...delayed...I think I said that would happen...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #56
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
You guys seem to be forgetting that a lot of video games get delayed for short periods of time.

And don't think of this as a 12 year old game. Remember, Gearbox had to basically start from scratch on it when they got the rights to work on a DUke Nukem game... whatever Duke Nukem Forever existed before Gearbox is DEAD. The Duke Nukem Forever that this game is started with Gearbox.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #57
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
That was kind of amusing. If Gearbox gets it out in June, rather than May.....big deal. We've waited 12 years to this point, what's another month.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #58
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
View page
YouTube Video

Show spoiler
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #59
igyman
Tension!

Crappy gameplay trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cr...e-nukem/712403

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #60
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Can. Not. Wait

Do away with all this crappy, 'realistic', regenerating health garbage. Take us back to the glory days of gaming, where games were made to be ridiculous and fun, where games like Zombies Ate My Neighbours and Doom ruled!

This game cannot fail to disappoint me

(And all the trailers I've seen for it just get me more excited)

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #61
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
!This game cannot fail to disappoint me
Except when it never comes out

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #62
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Except when it never comes out
Then it would never have had a chance to disappoint anyone.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #63
urluckyday

Quote:
Then it would never have had a chance to disappoint anyone.
Interesting question, actually. Would you rather have it not come out at all and just be left hanging, or have it come out and be terrible...but at least you have it?

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #64
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I don't think DNF will be terrible judging from everything I've seen of it... I mean, the little I have seen of it has been hilariously good. The game makes me laugh and the gameplay looks solid.

And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #65
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I don't see why people say 'It won't live up to expectations'. Is there really anyone who has insanely high expectations for it? I just expect it to be stupid, loud, pretty, and fun, not some messianic figure for gaming. And I doubt many people have expectations much higher than mine.

Unless they think that length of development doesn't have a point of diminishing returns (which it definitely does), and that a game with 14 years of dev time means a game must be 3.5x better than one developed in 4 years. The only people who have any reason to be upset over how long it's taken are those who preordered and didn't get refunds, and 3dRealms investors.

If the game comes out and is fun and stupid, but not the pinnacle of gaming achievement, the only people disappointed will be those who expected it to be something Duke Nukem never was meant to be. If it sucks, then people can be reasonably disappointed.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #66
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Quote:
And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.
My sentiments exactly. Harkens back to the days of when games were made for fun, and action heroes blew up stuff

Yes
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #67
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
I love Gearbox's sense of humour
Indeed!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #68
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Duke Nukem Forever goes gold

Hail to the King.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #69
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Demo comes out on June 3rd for folks like me who got Borderlands: Game of the Year

Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #70
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
If it in any way lives up to the originals I'll be very pleased. As others have stated, realism is not a requirement for fun.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #71
JediAthos

How cool is this of Gamestop...even though I don't know how many people will come forward with a 9 year old receipt. Liverandbacon I think posted a pic of such a receipt in this thread...tell that guy his receipt is still good!

Retailer GameStop tells old Duke Nukem Forever pre-order holdouts: "Your money is still good here!" Anyone who's been holding the pre-order torch for Duke Nukem Forever back in the day is in luck – your pre-orders are still valid after all these years.

Of course, we hope you saved your receipt, as GameStop clerks aren't just going to take your word on it.

In a statement posted by IGN, the company said: "With a long-anticipated release like Duke Nukem Forever, we encourage customers who pre-ordered more than a year ago to verify their reservation with their local store prior to launch. Provided the customer has a receipt, we will honor even those pre-orders taken long ago." Old school pre-orders will even get Duke's Big Package, the pre-order bonus that features Big Head mode, in-game t-shirts, and other extras.

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ill-valid.aspx

Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #72
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Apparently it's rubbish. Anyone got it?

Yes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #73
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I've got it and it's awesome. Best fun I've had on an FPS in a long time if you don't count Borderlands which is also by Gearbox Software. What other game sends you on a fetch quest around a tittybar to find popcorn, a condom and a vibrator?

If the folks who reviewed this game actually sat there, not laughed once and not enjoyed the great moments in the game, then wow... they must be hardcore militant feminists with no sense of humour or something.

This game is turning out exactly how I thought it'd turn out. Technologically it's outdated, however it still has all of that Duke charm (even with regenerative health and a 2 gun limit) and will make you laugh your asses off... unless you're militant feminist, a call of duty style fps fan or just a really jaded gamer who plays games but says they don't like any of them.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #74
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the reviewers that have criticised it are towing the politically correct line, either because they actually believe in that BS or to maintain the "integrity" of their site/magazine.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #75
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the reviewers that have criticised it are towing the politically correct line, either because they actually believe in that BS or to maintain the "integrity" of their site/magazine.
That really is a shame

The day we take video games too seriously is the day it'll cease to be any fun. I mean, sure, not all games have to be downright silly like Duke tends to be, but there has to be that mix there.

Duke being the way he is, an unapologetic hedonist is what's needed among the serious business video game characters of today.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #76
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's simultaneously hilarious and sad when you see it getting slammed with 4s and 5s out of 10 when dross like DA2 pulls 8s and 9s.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #77
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
When reading reviews it is important to understand one gamer's 4 is another gamer's 10. While you see DA2 8s as high, I find it a little low.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #78
igyman
Tension!

Then you sir have very low RPG video game standards.

But since we're talking about shooters in this thread - while I don't like and don't understand the two weapon restriction, or lack of the manual save game option in a shooter like Duke, I am finding DNF very enjoyable. I've seen a couple of reviews, but since neither of them was for the PC version, I could care less about their low marks.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #79
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Hmm.....only 2 guns and limited saves, huh. Sign me up anyway. Seriously, I pay little attention to reviewers of video.....games or film. All I expect from Duke is mayhem, dubious 1-liners and a high body count.....oh, yeah, and some sleaze. Sounds like they've succeeded.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #80
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Hey, I'm happy. It's another Duke Nukem for my jackass fix. Hadn't paid too much attention for all those years they were talking about this. After 4 or 5 years into it and no discernible headway I just said "whatev".

"Time to kill" was cool enough for me. I'm looking forward to that bad-influence-anti-hero souped up version of Col Guile going around wreaking havoc.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Duke Nukem Forever this year?