lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: RATE TOO LOW?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Mendel
Lurker

RATE TOO LOW?

Sorry if this has been addressed elsehwere, but I just today loaded MB2 and tried to join a few servers. Several said my rate was too low (4000 versus 5000 or 10000, etc). What is this and can I do anything about it? I run a dual core with 8 gig ram, so I figure I should be able to do alright. Probably some setting somewhere?
Mendel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
crail227
Rookie

open the console and type /rate 250000 or higher

^Sanjuro
crail227 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
JaSK
Lurker

Don't play mb2.

It sucks.

I played it for more than two years and my clan is/was one of the best european ones, easily beating old veteran clans like =GunSquad=

Just have a look at http://www.mb2wiki.com and you'll notice what crap the game and those who create it actually is...
JaSK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome Quake 3 website
rate Identical to the rate setting in Quake2 in that it controls packets so that your downstream connection bandwidth does not get saturated. Setting controls maximum bytes per second.
People used to struggle with snaps, sv_fps and rate to find a perfect frames-per-second (fps) and server FPS/rate/snaps combination that would allow them to have better connectivity, pings and such. I don't know how that translates to JKA terms but I know that it tends to improve your ping a bit in some cases.

Maxstate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Your rate dictates the speed at which your connection is able to communicate with the server. It needs to reflect your internet connection speed. I'm sure you can find more information if you look around on the Google.

From what I remember, I think 4000-5000 is dialup while 10000-15000 is cable/DSL. 250000 is probably too high unless you have a direct brain connection to the interwebs.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorace
Your rate dictates the speed at which your connection is able to communicate with the server. It needs to reflect your internet connection speed. I'm sure you can find more information if you look around on the Google.

From what I remember, I think 4000-5000 is dialup while 10000-15000 is cable/DSL. 250000 is probably too high unless you have a direct brain connection to the interwebs.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
JaSK
Lurker

And set /snaps VERYVERYHIGH, unless you got a ****ty computer (I think high snaps lower your FPS), but it lowers your ping a lot.
JaSK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Doesn't it also stress out your laggy servers? ;ppppp

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Mendel
Lurker

Ok, will try the /rate above 10000 I have a 3meg dsl line so thats no problem that I can see. What should I se my /snaps at? Suggestions help give a guidline... Thanks much.

Ill play it some before I decide whether I like it.

May the force be with you... you will need it (insert evil laughter).

Last edited by Mendel; 02-11-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Mendel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstate
Doesn't it also stress out your laggy servers? ;ppppp
I'm pretty sure that the server has a setting limiting the max rate that it communicates at as well.

Man, I totally used to have a link to a guide on this. maybe try googling "tweak guide for jedi knight academy"?

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Open Jedi Project (OJP) > RATE TOO LOW?