lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Secret Apprentice, Redeemed?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
starwarz24
Lurker

The Secret Apprentice, Redeemed?

I was browsing Star Wars.com and look what I found![IMG] Check out this link http://starwars.com/gaming/other/rpg/news20080222.html. If that's what you look like if you get redeemed, then count me in! Looks awsome!
starwarz24 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Yeah it looks awesome don't it! welcome to the Forums starwarz24

I'm guessing you can go light, dark, or neutral, Check this thread, I posted some bigger pictures of the Hasbro toy versions...

Post #23: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=185721

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I think the proper term for the Apprentice being redeemed is "absolute rubbish".
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I don't think we can call it that, we virtually know nothing about him, his past or anything like that. I like all these features of the game that give it an rpg feel to it.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I don't think we can call it that, we virtually know nothing about him, his past or anything like that. I like all these features of the game that give it an rpg feel to it.
Me too.

A redeemed SA was to be expected, IMO. A lot of games do it nowadays, giving the player the choice to be the good or the bad guy. And this is Star Wars, of course.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
millinniummany3
Banned

How much would a game appeal if the character you play as was a heartless ****? I think a few people would be put off by it.
millinniummany3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by millinniummany3
How much would a game appeal if the character you play as was a heartless ****? I think a few people would be put off by it.
I wouldn't mind. It'd be something different from the usual nice guys. Besides, if you've played KotOR or TSL, you know you can do just that: be completely heartless.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Lightbulb Darksiphobia.

Quote:
How much would a game appeal if the character you play as was a heartless ****?
Ever hear of the Hitman series? Or Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy, or KOTOR, or KOTOR 2? Or hell, ever hear of TIE Fighter, for that matter?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by millinniummany3
GTA series... manhunt... etc...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
DAWUSS

I somehow get the feeling that once again LS will be the canon ending...

I don't have a problem with it, but IMO a DS ending being canon would make for an interesting change.
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Here is a action figure of the Redeemed apprentice. I think that that would be cool to choose you side.

EDIT: The picture is kinda in the middle/the end of the page.

Last edited by Rev7; 02-29-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Where the picture is located...
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
millinniummany3
Banned

You guys bring up Knights and you guys bring up Jedi Academy, Grand Theft Auto, I feel those games give you a choice. You can be as bad or what not as you want to be. A game where you had to kill Jedi children to proceed, for example, there was no option to avoid doing so. This is just me but I don't think that'd be cool and I think a number of other people wouldn't like the idea either.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Repeat: TIE Fighter.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
millinniummany3
Banned

Cool your jets okay. Listen, shhh, listen. I looked up Tie Fighter and as the name indicates you serve as an Imperial pilot against Rebel terrorists. The game does have you fighting the good guys, sure. They're also a military force. Nowhere in my research into the game was there a part where you had to bomb a civilian colony or eliminate every man woman and child in a settlement. People might be craving this sort of game, but I think people would be turned off the game if they learnt that you had to commit such acts to play through.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #15
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
I believe that having a redeemable protagonist in TFU would be a good idea to the plot

DAWUSS: The reason most SW games have LS cannons is because the majority of fans like to play the LS cannon more then the DS cannon since they project their own mortality on their characters and do not choose the DS ending as much as the LS.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I recall that every transport-full of anything you capture in TIE Fighter is delivered for interrogation (and we all know how nice Imperials are in interrogations). That's just off the top of my head.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
"They didn't even ask me any questions"

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
"I feel Terrible!"

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakataDark
I believe that having a redeemable protagonist in TFU would be a good idea to the plot

DAWUSS: The reason most SW games have LS cannons is because the majority of fans like to play the LS cannon more then the DS cannon since they project their own mortality on their characters and do not choose the DS ending as much as the LS.
So you mean its LS ending Canon for that Anakin game?

Well, I think its good to be bad sometime, but thats just me.

On the Tie Fighter game: There is actually some choice you can make in the story I think. You get to choose to work on the special objectives from the Emperor's Secret Service, and get to be the Emperor's Hand/Eye/Spleen/etc
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
millinniummany3
Banned

The freighters you scan are dealt with by Imperial torture? Yeah, and while you're on the front lines in America's Army or something your buddies are abusing prisoners in Abu Ghraib, go figure.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
No relevance.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #22
millinniummany3
Banned

No relevence you say? You want to say Tie Fighter has you evil because of what who you work for does. In America Army, in Kuma War, who you fight for do evil. Depending on your point of view, invading Iraq, or Abu Ghraib, or Guantamano. In Generals, who you fight for do many evil things, what USA is attacked for, GLA modelled after Al Qaeda. In Red Alert, Soviets do many of the same atrocities as Empire. How is it not relevent?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
No relation between the two situations.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #24
millinniummany3
Banned

I just explained how they are related. You can't just say they're not, you have to prove there's no relation.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Why do you get to decide the "rules" of a debate?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
millinniummany3
Banned

Because we need more than your say so that something is accurate. Can you prove these are not related?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Point: There is quite some difference between being evil, or an ordinary joe making a living via being a gear in a evil organization.

Its like saying that the janitor working in Black Maza is evil cause his work involve in improving the condition of a evil company.

And for the record, NO THE COMPANION CUBE IS NEVER EVER EVIL, AND NEVAR WILL BE.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #28
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Abu Ghraib and Gitmo have absolutely zilch to do with this game. Stay on topic, please.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #29
Jvstice

millenium: That's a trifle extreme and I'd be careful tying fictional examples to something quite that contemporary as people get pretty worked up when you talk about currently ongoing world events.

If you do stand by your statement about bad organizations and bad people in them, then in the x-wing rogue squadron comic series, wedge's brother in law would have changed from evil to good simply by a change in employer because of who he loved.

Not that his motivations changed that greatly, he was doing the same job for both empire and rebellion, and in both cases seeking to serve a greater good as he understood it. But who he was attached to and who mattered to him changed what side he was fighting for, not a deep seated belief that one was wrong and the other right.

The same could be said with Mara Jade being an emperor's hand, and the pilot in Tie Fighter hunting down rebels. Any "state" brings peace that probably saves a lot more lives than the anarchy that would take place if nothing were there. Is this an arguement against atttempting to reform the system, or replace it with somethign better? No. But you can't necessarily condemn someone to the same extent for playing a small part if they are concerned with the alternative being worse. There are definitely mitigating circumstances.

There can be honorable (if wrong headed) people fighting for a dishonorable cause. Example: Erwin Romel's leadership in WW2. He was known for treating his soldiers and the natives where he fought with courtesy and equality, not showing any sign of partiality or discrimination, but he fought for an army that was the anti - thesis of this and were bringing about the holocaust while he was serving his country. Was Rommel evil? Would a tie pilot & officer automatically be evil in Star Wars if their concerns were preservation of the lives of their soldiers, to get through the battles with the least casualties on both sides and treated P.O.W.s with respect and dignity, even if the empire as a whole did not?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #30
millinniummany3
Banned

That's the point I'm trying to make. You brought up Mara Jade, there was a quote on Wookiepedia I think, I tried looking it up to no avail, where she explains how as the Emperor's Hand she was used to assassinate people, thinking whether or not they deserved it and rationalizing that most of them did. I don't think she had ever been portrayed as a killer, certainly not a concienseless murderer at any rate. But i that was the way the Secret Apprentice is, not just having the ability to mass murder as a result of the free form style of game (aka GTA) but it was part of what you had to do, I think people won't like it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #31
Jvstice

Actually, I expect the game to be somewhat like the sims or KOTOR in that regard, and wide open with directions you can dake it.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #32
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvstice
Actually, I expect the game to be somewhat like the sims or KOTOR in that regard, and wide open with directions you can dake it.
NO. Probably no where near the seams... there is a plot, and the aim of your game is not killing your character in a cooking accident.

Kotor would be closer, though I doubt there would be as much flexability. Its probably like the JK series when it comes to flexability to explore, with maybe a slightly more advanced system on determining your ending.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #33
General LiWar

I think this game is going to be majorly complex. General Kota, a Jedi, seems to have a major role in this game. especially after reading the plot on the site (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/thefo.../#/story/plot/) So redemption seems highly probable. I agree that it'll probably be similar to JK flexibility. But I really believe this game is going to have a bad ending b/c if he goes good, vader will be after him and if he stays dark, we have an interesting story to go with for the next JK game
General LiWar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #34
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I'm pretty sure the Dark Forces series is kaput.

Last edited by TKA-001; 03-07-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: O.O
Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #35
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
TKA-001 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Dark Forces series is kaput.
Could you please make some longer posts? For me it's quit hard to find out what you mean with your short posts...which results into strange reactions and stuff...

@Topic:
Juedging by the toys, there's a light, dark and 'normal' ending. Why couldn't the canon one be normal or dark for a change? We know the actor who portrays the apprentice has expressed interest in actin in the upcoming television series. Which we know of, will be a bit dark and harder then the movies...so a dark side or 'normal' ending of this game doesn't sound wrong or unbelievable to me

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #36
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

My guess would be this having a "normal" ending as canon. It would be really cliche if its a canon LS again. But then again GL is starting to be filled with cliche himself anyways, too keen on lightsideing the heros.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #37
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^
Is it even possible to have a Dark Side hero?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #38
General LiWar

i guess technically that depends on how you percieve hero. A guy who saves the lives of innocents... then no. But a man with great skill, that is honored by his people for courage and valor type stuff... yes a dark side hero is possible
General LiWar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #39
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I think the proper term for a dark side hero would be an anti-hero, one who does the right thing (fight the bad guys) for the wrong reasons (such as revenge or some other sort of personal vendetta).
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #40
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
My point exactly.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > The Secret Apprentice, Redeemed?