lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How can you hide your past views on a webboard?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

How can you hide your past views on a webboard?

Okay, I suddenly got a bad, very bad delimma.

Suppose, in 10-20 years, I run for some public office. A prestigious one, where I go and help America in [whatever]. Let say I am running as a Republican. Then, one day, during the last days of the campagin, this appears on national news:

Quote:
...Honestly, that revalation destroyed any bit of credibility I had for the Colombian regime. FARC had existed for 40 years, with and without outside assistance, and I'm thinking Álvaro Uribe may also be a nutjob along with Chavez, in that he blames outside powers for his own internal problems....
And there we go. The Democratic opponent would say that I am pro-FARC in 2008, and that therefore, I am unfit to win the Mayorship, because if I win the Mayorship, I could lose the War on Terrorism. Then, while I try to refute said charges, and claim that, no, that was in the past and I was protested Uribe's various human right abuses...BAM! They dig up another unpopular post on this forum. And another. And another. And another. And I lose the general election in 2038 thanks to my views in 2000's.

I'm not going to get Swift Boated because of a mistake I make right now. But I do honestly believe what I type, now at least, in the future, I may flip-flop.

So, I need to know NOW how to avoid this sort of political murder. How can I distance myself from these comments? Should I create a brand new account a few years before I enter into any arena of 'politics' and leave this SilentScope001 persona for dead? Or are there any other methods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
My question is how are they going to prove that it was you that used the web alias that those views were "published" under in the first place?

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
(totenkopf- IP addresses and email addresses kept in record by forums can be used to trace people and prove things such as that)

I understand what you mean. For example, I am intending on creating a series of starwars books makign a whole new saga, however, my actions two years ago on another forum I will not mention leave the peopel on that forum with knowledge about certain things about the massive starwars story I would intend to make. If it got published and became very popular, (unlikely but at least I can dream) the people from that forum would likely come out of the shadows and say certain things about me from that forum and show the world certain things from that forum, thus ruining the reputation I am trying very hard to rebuild on several different forums, this mostly coming from me being very arrogant and short-sighted in debates, and other things... One dream I have is to be the successor of Lucasarts, though I doubt it will ever happen, but if I became famous in any way, which is unlikely but possible, things such as that would likely come up and ruin my reputation.
Personnally I would love to make a TV series of my starwars saga I have come up with, but I'm afraid if it ever did happen familiar things would be noticed by forumers I had met in my 'bad days' of forum-going, and they would try to ruin my reputation...
The only way to fix this is to go through and delete all posts you don't want anyone having to use against you, make posts that would raise your reputation, and also 'plant evidence' in your favor to cover up any possible 'forum conspiracies' you can't fix, and try to make forum friends who will stand up for you in an event like this.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Jvstice

1) I'd have to agree with totenkopf. How would anyone know that you were the same person as whatever elected personae? There is a good deal of anonymity on here and no reason that anyone would have to know anyone else's personal information to that degree unless you tell anyone how to use that information against you.

2) Couldn't hurt to switch identities or even boards if you're thinking about running for politics. You realize that you are talking about 30 years down the road? A lot of people expect a person's views to shift at least somewhat in that amount of time.

Arc: I'd think that if you tweaked the ideas a bit on some of the specific details you might just come across as someone with a similar way of seeing things if you were thinking about authorship, but worried about your past following you.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If in 30 years people really care about what you said on a Star Wars game forum as a young person, we've got big problems.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
All I know is I'm getting paid by one side or the other.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Most of mankind is shortsighted and would veiw posts on forums in politics in a bad way. Notice how so many people have voted blindly and shortsightedly for presidential candidates in the U.S this year... (No offense to the large portion of mankind that is not shortsighted)

Jvstice- Certain things in my starwars story- Names of characters, races, planets, etc, etc, are known by the people on that forum, and it would be likely that they would notice the similarities are too great for it to be a coincidence. Also, I couldn't play the 'I got the idea from another person' card, as then I'd be accused of plagerism. And no, I don't want to go to all the trouble of renaming everything in my entire starwars story just to cover it up. That would ruin it in my opinion.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Jvstice

Arcesious: if you can't rename things, places, and people then you are kind of stuck if those people retain an avid interest in Star Wars spin offs and EU in the long term. If you're that concerned with your reputation from that time following you though, it's the only way I see to both publish and not be haunted by your past.

tk: lol

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Claim playing devil's advocate. Claim sarcasm. Claim maturing view. As a young person you can always change your mind.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
My check is in the mail.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
My check is in the mail.
All I can say is that I hope that's not his own mug he has plastered all over this forum (or that he at least has the foresight to "erase" the surgeon who alters his appearance when he decides to drop the dime on someone.)

Quote:
(totenkopf- IP addresses and email addresses kept in record by forums can be used to trace people and prove things such as that)
This of course assumes that you're not piggybacking off someone elses account with a wireless connection, or that you're the actual person paying the IP in the first place.

@Jae--well, the Clinton's tracked down Obama's kindy teacher to call him a liar.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
Jvstice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
@Jae--well, the Clinton's tracked down Obama's kindy teacher to call him a liar.
It's that kind of behaviour that's making me give Hillary less and less of a benefit of the doubt, and Obama more.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Web email created separately from your regular identity, proxy, different alias.

Learn to be a nnon-e moose.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #14
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

And this is why, kids, anonymity is an unparalleled virtue.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
So your true name is Mister Silen T. Scope?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Word!

<high fives TK>

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
If in 30 years people really care about what you said on a Star Wars game forum as a young person, we've got big problems.
Fine for some, but I don't believe youth would be much of an excuse for me. Well perhaps it would be, didn’t a current president use youth as excuse for alcohol usage in his late twenties or early thirties. Maybe I could stretch it a little if I wrap myself in the flag and put an R after my name.
Quote:
You can be my Brain McNamee as I do my best Roger Clemens impersonation and deny, deny, deny…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
As a young person you can always change your mind.
And be labeled a flip-flopper? Isn’t that the political kiss of death? When someone calls on learned information and experience to change their view on an issue, I believe that is considered a bad thing in politics. In today American society if you don’t pick a side and then stick with it no matter the facts, you have committed political suicide. Logic has nothing to do with politics.

Personally I believe changing your opinion due to experience or knowledge is a sign of maturity and humble person. Someone I would rather vote for than an arrogant know it all. We had enough of that persona in this country lately. Of course this is coming from someone that once wrote government reports in high school on that we should use Pam on the electric chair in order then scrape the criminal off in order to execute the next one or my favorite was to send all the homosexuals to Christmas Island to prevent the spread of AIDS. I don’t believe anything I write on this forum can be any more embarrassing than either of those.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I was discussing this in Comm 309 which is computer mediated communication. True that IP and emails are maintained by the system and can be traced back to you. That is how a Moroccan engineer (Faoud) was found and convicted because his Facebook page had the username Prince Rashid.
This happened in Morocco and somehow I get the feeling that we are not far behind in policing the sites. Of course legality will point to right of privacy, which is not guaranteed by the Bill of Rights or the Constitution btw. There is the issue of anonymity as well.
However to use what you were discussing as an adolescent as a weapon against you is in extremely poor taste. In political campaigns there is expected to be some bashing but what SS001 is describing is bad form and utterly ridiculous. Call me idealistic if you want but to stoop that low is saying we have a problem.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Word!

<high fives TK>

Hmmm......have to add another name to the "rat" list. Oops, did I "say" that outloud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Of course this is coming from someone that once wrote government reports in high school on that we should use Pam on the electric chair in order then scrape the criminal off in order to execute the next one .....

Original, butter or olive oil?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
millinniummany3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
That's rather petty, but if that's the level of muckraking that occurs then I can understand the concern. Because of the technological age we live in it's easier than ever to dig up dirt on people, especially for those who use the same ID on Lucasforums, Kim Possible forums, Forbidden Hades, Youtube, Gameplayers, whatever forums you frequent so that you can build credibility.
millinniummany3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #21
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by millinniummany3
it's easier than ever to dig up dirt on people, especially for those who use the same ID on Lucasforums
Indeed! Nanc..*cough*...water, please!
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #22
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Indeed! Nanc..*cough*...water, please!
*Jae pats Darth333 on the back*

Here's your water!

edit by d3:.*takes a sip of water* ...y!...*hic!* Thanks, Jae!

Last edited by Darth333; 03-06-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Can't hide your past on Lucasforums
Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #23
millinniummany3
Banned

What you on about?
millinniummany3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #24
Jae Onasi

Quote:
What you on about?
Why, I can't possibly imagine, Nancy. You want to quit while you're ahead? It's time to stop playing games.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #25
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

"tor" is your friend. Use it. And as long as you use it right, and don't post obviously obvious stuff like your location/position/plox/non-gtfo/etc you should be anon.

Quote:
That's rather petty, but if that's the level of muckraking that occurs then I can understand the concern. Because of the technological age we live in it's easier than ever to dig up dirt on people, especially for those who use the same ID on Lucasforums, Kim Possible forums, Forbidden Hades, Youtube, Gameplayers, whatever forums you frequent so that you can build credibility.
Would be funny if we found out random famous people lurking on these geek forums though. Think about any famous political figure being found out posting on the geeky rp sections in a pokemon forum. >.<
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #26
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
So, I need to know NOW how to avoid this sort of political murder. How can I distance myself from these comments? Should I create a brand new account a few years before I enter into any arena of 'politics' and leave this SilentScope001 persona for dead? Or are there any other methods?
If you are worried about such things the best way would likely be to keep your internet personality fully anonymous and not leave anything that would link it to your person. I.e. never mention your real name anywhere, don't post your picture, don't use your work or primary email address to register on online communities, don't use the same screen name everywhere and tell people you know in real life that it's you, etc.

Last edited by stoffe; 03-08-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
What stoffe wrote: Alternatively, just do not become a lowlife scum-sucking politician.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #28
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Why, I can't possibly imagine, Nancy. You want to quit while you're ahead? It's time to stop playing games.
The saga continues...

Rather ironic given the subject matter of this thread.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > How can you hide your past views on a webboard?