lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #161
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Walkthrough Trailer #2
For those that prefer something of a higher res than what YouTube offers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sd...protocol/53077
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #162
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
She's also a 40-year-old dominatrix, and lives on a "Join me or die, bitch" motto.
I am definitely going to join up with this woman, in more than one way.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #163
jrrtoken

Another preview

This is another really good article that goes into great depth concerning dialogue choices and their apparent consequences, and it seems to shine at that regard. There's also a good insight into the dossier system, which is a "journal" of sorts that keeps track of character and faction information. It doesn't seem to be just a metagaming element, though, as every time you learn more on someone/thing, that translates towards "better" dialogue options in certain situations.

Might I also say that the character Grigori shares the same voice actor as HK-47, and also shares a bit of his sarcastic and crude personality.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #164
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Mr. Rorie just revealed that the AP will have a gameplay time of between 20-25 hours.

I'm hoping this a "less is more" thing.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #165
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Mr. Rorie just revealed that the AP will have a gameplay time of between 20-25 hours.

Wow, that's certainly shorter than I would have expected. Let's hope you're right about 'less is more'.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #166
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:

I was guessing it'd be a shorter game; I'm guessing the actual run-through time is made up for by the number of ways to play through/branching choices in the game. Hopefully.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #167
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
The ESRB content summary is hilarious:Well, at least we won't see yet another awkward, cheek-clipping sex scene a la Mass Effect. The cocaine reference is also humorously written, as well as the confirmation that Thorton can throw out quips at a moment's notice.
Ha ha, that was great. I think what makes it so funny is the fact that it's intended to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Might I also say that the character Grigori shares the same voice actor as HK-47, and also shares a bit of his sarcastic and crude personality.
Oooh, I like that. Tabori is a fine voice actor (HK-47/HK-50s just wouldn't be so popular without him), and it's good to see him back in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
I was guessing it'd be a shorter game; I'm guessing the actual run-through time is made up for by the number of ways to play through/branching choices in the game. Hopefully.
We'll see. I always tend to spend far more time in the game than needed, so the game will probably be around 10 hours longer for me.

Last edited by SpaceAlex; 07-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.
SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #168
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Seemed like that was on the cards when it was revealed how few areas there were a while back.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #169
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Seemed like that was on the cards when it was revealed how few areas there were a while back.

Is there some magic "number of areas-to-hours of gameplay" algorithm that I'm unfamiliar with?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #170
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
There were only 4 'major areas' in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (I guess 5 if you count the final boss area as a separate area), but that didn't matter. You could burn through the areas quickly by doing the main quest line, or you could do all the side quests and spend a lot of time. Also, the game was so different depending on what class you chose, along with your play style, that it's never been the same game twice for me. I'm hoping that AP can capture that same depth with its different play styles and many quests. If they can, the number of areas won't matter that much at all.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #171
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The difference between Bloodlines's "hubs" and AP's areas seems to be that AP is going for a more linear once-through type affair, similar to most of Mass Effect's main plot planets. Bloodlines had a bunch of side-quests within and between the hubs, and the main story-based "action zones" (for want of a better term) were separate areas outside the hubs. From what I've seen, AP's side-quests are very similar to, say, those in ME's Feros mission. It's a once-through deal where you can do a couple of minor Fedex-type side-quests along the way, but once you've shot all the bad guys that's it.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #172
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
The difference between Bloodlines's "hubs" and AP's areas seems to be that AP is going for a more linear once-through type affair, similar to most of Mass Effect's main plot planets. Bloodlines had a bunch of side-quests within and between the hubs, and the main story-based "action zones" (for want of a better term) were separate areas outside the hubs. From what I've seen, AP's side-quests are very similar to, say, those in ME's Feros mission. It's a once-through deal where you can do a couple of minor Fedex-type side-quests along the way, but once you've shot all the bad guys that's it.
There will be around four "just talking" missions per hub, should you choose to accept them, if I remember correctly. How long they are or what they entail other than "just talking", I don't know...

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #173
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Yeah, I'm not surprised by this being a short game. It isn't exactly supposed to be an epic adventure through distant lands, it's a modern spy theme and games based on this have to just as short and slick.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #174
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

IGN previews Alpha Protocol

Source

IGN have posted a short preview of Obsidian's upcoming RPG, Alpha Protocol which puts emphasis on the game's RPG aspects and, rather shockingly, manages to spell "Thorton" correctly for once.
Quote:
The action misson we see is set in a bombed out Embassy, and affords us a chance to see the combat mechanics at work. Truth told, it's an initially unimpressive set-up, with the mission playing out like a mesh of some of the more generic third-person shooters available, complete with cursory cover-based gunplay, mini-game interludes to hack into terminals and keypads, and all interspersed with a little light stealth.

But Alpha Protocol's not a third-person shooter
Dun dun dunnnnnnn.
Quote:
and what's impressive about the action scenes is how each decision made, no matter how minute, feeds into the character progression. Farming experience points isn't a matter of stringing a series of headshots together - get to the end of a level without alerting anyone and you'll be rewarded with a generous dose of experience points too.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #175
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Very glad about character progression. No more being punished for taking the smart way out of a level.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #176
Avisto
Rookie

Quote:
Another preview

This is another really good article that goes into great depth concerning dialogue choices and their apparent consequences, and it seems to shine at that regard. There's also a good insight into the dossier system, which is a "journal" of sorts that keeps track of character and faction information. It doesn't seem to be just a metagaming element, though, as every time you learn more on someone/thing, that translates towards "better" dialogue options in certain situations.

Thanks for linking to this article. I wasn't really excited about the choice system because from what I saw earlier, the system almost seemed half hearted at points, but now I can see It's not.

I'm also glad they put in the timer for conversations.
Show spoiler
Avisto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #177
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'm still not 100% sure of the game's awesomeness, but I must confess I'm now somewhat excited and buying it as soon as it's available. Don't care if it's a Mass Effect wannabe anymore (even because it seems to be distancing itself from the Bioware's game). Some points of interest from Pavlos's link include:

Quote:
Even when you’re a git, it might benefit you. Even when you’re a saint, it might blow up in your face. There is no light or dark side. There is no good or bad karma. There are only reactions, many of which become won't become obvious until later in the game. Often it’s to your benefit to be aligned against factions and NPCs, pissing them off as much as you can. “We don’t make a habit of punishing the player for playing the game the way they’d like,” Nathan says.
The Field Agent (stealth oriented) class, which paired up with the spy-fiction background and the seemingly tremendous amount of emphasis put on stealth, can make teh game pretty interesting indeed.

However, it should be said that unless they do a good work on the hiding part, the game may turn into a nightmare for the players trying to imitate Snake or Fisher. I've seen my share of stealth-only games that winded up being terrible because of bad hiding mechanincs.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #178
jrrtoken

In other words, the official AP blog is up. It doesn't feature anything amazingly new, but it does give a nice background for neophytes.

Oh, and AP is available for pre-order on Steam. Linkity-link.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #179
Rake
Rookie

Hmmm, I'm debating on whether to buy this for PC or 360, console shooters feel better imo, but then again, PC nets lots of mods and usually free DLC.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #180
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyp Dooran View Post
Hmmm, I'm debating on whether to buy this for PC or 360, console shooters feel better imo, but then again, PC nets lots of mods and usually free DLC.
Get it for console and if you like it buy it for PC as well? Given the lameness of Sega's hype campaign, it'll need the sales.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #181
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Looks like Alpha Protocol's release has been pushed from October 6 to October 27, according to Amazon and Gamestop anyway.

While not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things I was looking forward to playing AP in October and Dragon Age: Origins in November. Looks like that plan just got flushed down the toilet.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #182
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hmm good, good, gives me more time to play a real man's game: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #183
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

This doesn't seem to have been posted, so I thought I'd bring up Alpha Protocol: The Blog!. Of particular interest may be the Latest entry on stealth playthroughs. It seems it isn't possible to avoid killing everyone, but that wouldn't be terribly realistic. That said, are "suped up" [sic] flash grenades, among other special abilities really that realistic to begin with?

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #184
Rake
Rookie

I was originally planning to play through as a straight gunner, but I think I just changed my mine. The only thing that slightly peeves me is shadow operative... too "magicky," to be placed in a modern day spy RPG imo, hopefully it only lasts something like 3 seconds (if it was anything more than 10ish, waaaay overpowered).
Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #185
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Unfortunately, Obs don't have a great reputation for balanced/challenging combat (TSL's is absurdly unbalanced), although that said, what RPG developer does these days? Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. >_>

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #186
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If it was truly "balanced", one bloke by himself running into a building full of bad guys would be dead a few steps inside the door. There is no such thing as balance in any form of shooter, action-rpg or otherwise.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #187
Avisto
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Mass Effect, I'm looking at you. >_>
Insanity on my bastion adept was a joke.. It was like they didn't even try.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #188
jrrtoken

The viral marketing campaign has finally begun, with a Michael Thorton Twitter page... written by Avellone.

Some gems:
Quote:
Shouldn't have, but I went in and fixed some instances of "Thornton" to "Thorton" in my service record. Get it right, guys.
Quote:
Thing is, the guards stick to the same routine with each new recruit in these obstacle courses. So if you watch the training vids once...
Quote:
He didn't like me asking if Yancy was really his first name. He said my first name must be "smartass." "Beats Yancy," I said. Not wise.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #189
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

As much as I like Avellone, I must say that that's a lame viral marketing idea. America's soon-to-be-greatest spy is on twitter posting about his hazing and the training runs? Way to go, Mr. Thorton, way to go. First thing I'm doing in the game is cancelling your twitter account.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #190
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've never been a huge fan of Avellone, but I doubt this would be his call. As publisher, Sega would be handling all the marketing and PR decisions I would imagine.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #191
Avisto
Rookie

This marketing campaign is almost as bad as Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins marketing campaign.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #192
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisto View Post
This marketing campaign is almost as bad as Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins marketing campaign.
Until they release a "violence trailer", I don't think we can quite say that.

Last edited by Pavlos; 08-28-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #193
Rake
Rookie

Interesting interview with Matthew Rorie at Gamespot.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #194
Avisto
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Let me rephrase it. To me, it was almost as facepalm worthy as watching the Dragon Age Origins advert with MM in the background.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #195
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Eh? This isn't the "New S**t?"

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #196
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyp Dooran View Post
Interesting interview with Matthew Rorie at Gamespot.
Wow only 25 hours? That's pretty disappointing.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #197
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interview
Mike Thorton is a spy, but we didn't want to lock players into any of the various spy archetypes that you might see in popular media. So, our solution to that problem was to allow players to be any kind of spy that they want. If you want to be a badass, take-no-prisoners sort of character, you can specialise in weapons like the assault rifle or the SMGs and go in with guns blazing.
"We didn't want to lock players into any of the various spy archetypes that you might see in popular media. So instead, we showed them each of the archetypes and asked them which one they'd like to be locked in."

Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #198
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ Don't you love figure of speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisto View Post
Insanity on my bastion adept was a joke.. It was like they didn't even try.
Harder than anything they did before.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #199
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Alpha Protocol recommended system specifications

Source

A site called Game-Debate has published what are allegedly the recommended system requirements for Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, scheduled for release in October on the PC, PS3, and XBox 360.
Quote:
Intel CPU - Pentium 4 2.66GHz
AMD CPU - Athlon XP 2400+
Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 7900 GT
ATI & Intel Graphics Card - Radeon X1800 Series 256MB
RAM - 2 Gbs
Hard Disk Space - 12 Gbs
Direct X - 9
Sounds as though the engine is pretty well optimised. No word yet as to the quality of the camera controls.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #200
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

That depends on whether those actually are the recommended specs. OEI doesn't have a great reputation in that area, unfortunately...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG