lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 AM   #281
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Impressions at Game Daily, where they once again confuse Michael Thorton with Michael Thornton.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #282
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Looking promising!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #283
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystiq
The character models look dated, screen tearing is distracting and those extra months of post-delay polish don't shine through.
Ahh, Obsidian at its best. This is going to be an excellent game and this line proves it.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #284
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Ahh, Obsidian at its best. This is going to be an excellent game and this line proves it.
I don't know why they're criticizing textures; they look fine to me. It's not like Mass Effect didn't have graphical anomalies; feel free to watch the sex scene.

This interview is also rather enlightening.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #285
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Who cares about textures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joystiq
Obsidian expects you to put down the controller after about 16 hours...
Someone please tell me this isn't true.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #286
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I don't know why they're criticizing textures
They aren't, they criticised the character models and the ever-mysterious polish.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #287
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Who cares about textures.
Someone please tell me this isn't true.
Not necessarily because of the time it takes to complete. Probably the time when bugs will have you throw the controller away...

Remember K2. Remember.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #288
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Not necessarily because of the time it takes to complete. Probably the time when bugs will have you throw the controller away...

Remember K2. Remember.
This game better not have many bugs after being delayed almost a year.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #289
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This game better not have many bugs after being delayed almost a year.
Well they will not be able to blame Lucas Arts this time around.

Yes, Ztalker I remember TSL, it is still one of my favorite games despite the bugs.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #290
Revan 411
Forumite

Despite whatever bugs we may encounter in Alpha Protocol, I'm still going to play it for its story. Its not like Mass Effect didn't have any bugs or glitches; and despite what Joystiq says, I think the textures in Alpha Protocol look perfectly fine as it is. (Judging from the screen-shots.)

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #291
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think a lot of the gripes stem from the fact that AP is a multi-platform title (as well as Obsidian's first PS3 title). There have been few, if any, simultaneous multi-platform titles that haven't suffered because of the inevitable compromises that need to be made in development.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #292
Rake
Rookie

Hmmm... the 16 hour estimation has me a bit worried, I like my RPG stories lengthy and stretched out. I also have a feeling 90% of those hours will be spent in combat anyway, so hopefully the story is still good. I can deal with bugs, as long as the framerate isn't constantly locking up, and anything above 2004 graphics is playable for me.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #293
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Well they will not be able to blame Lucas Arts this time around.

Yes, Ztalker I remember TSL, it is still one of my favorite games despite the bugs.
It's my favorite too...after all the patches. I remember buying the game on the first release day and trying to swoop race...with a swoop glued to the ceiling.

Just saying it could be lethal for Alpha Protocol to have stuff like this. I hope it's epic though. RPG/Shooter/Spy game. Want.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #294
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
16 hours for power-gamers=closer to 60 hours for me, since I take my time and explore every nook and cranny for sidequests. With any luck they'll add content after that.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #295
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
16 hours isn't lengthy, but then, Mass Effect was only ~12, IIRC.

On bugs, I'm just hoping that's why the game's been so long delayed; but as DP says, it's pretty likely it'll come with a fair few. Then again, that's not exactly a problem specific to Obsidian. Mass Effect had a fair number of bugs on release, as did KotOR. Didn't stop them selling.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #296
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
16 hours isn't lengthy, but then, Mass Effect was only ~12, IIRC.
If you did a speed playthrough with no side quest then just maybe you could be able to finish ME in 12 hours or less.

Saying ME is 12 hours is like saying you can finish Oblivion in less than 8 hours. Yes, you most likely can finish the main quest, but the game is made up of not only the main quest, but the side quests too. If you want to only include the main quest in the length, then go play a shooter.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #297
Rake
Rookie

Except, who actually wanted to do, "Find x amounts of plutonium. Find x blablabla. Find y blablabla. Find z blablabla. Go to the same building 400 times, on these really boring planets that we only created to waste your time, and kill the same looking guys, in that same hallway."

I'm still trying to swallow the 16 hour estimate; I mean, a good main quest should probably have something like 10-12 missions. And then if we factor in the side quests at each hub, I'd say around 5-6 at each hub, so let's say 20 side missions. Is each mission like 15 minutes in length, even excluding dialog???
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #298
jrrtoken

Most "professional" reviewers usually speed through the entire game, with only tasting side-quests, which is usually how games are reviewed at almost a week's notice. This can work in the game's favor... or not. IIRC, the same tactic was used in KotOR II, where even a few journalists ended up revising their dissertations when they replayed the game to discover the "Train you party members into Jedi" portion; definitely not a very positive indication of the reputation of video game journalism. :¬:
Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #299
jrrtoken

This new editorial happens to push all of the buttons concerning why people should be more enthusiastic for Alpha Protocol, and for all the right reasons. Now that Splinter Cell: Conviction has been released (and subsequently panned for brevity and poor stealth mechanics), and Mass Effect 2 has been marred by a perceived lack of RPG-ness, Alpha Protocol has the chance to fill a niche and subsequently claim the throne of not only RPG of the Year, but possibly even Game of the Year. That is, unless if Obsidian's own New Vegas doesn't trample it.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #300
Revan 411
Forumite

I realize that Splinter Cell: Conviction isn't really the most "stealthy" game ever made, or better then the original games in the franchise; but must we bash it? I mean, it isn't all that bad as you think. Quite the contrary, I think it's actually a decent, fun game to play. Even with the stealth elements reduced. (Though, you must know that I've been playing the Splinter Cell games since I was 6.) Plus, the story, along with the music and cinematic presentation worked out better then I anticipated.

Anyway, I'll still play Alpha Protocol when it comes out. It is Obsidian after-all.

Last edited by Revan 411; 04-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #301
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
If you did a speed playthrough with no side quest then just maybe you could be able to finish ME in 12 hours or less.

Saying ME is 12 hours is like saying you can finish Oblivion in less than 8 hours. Yes, you most likely can finish the main quest, but the game is made up of not only the main quest, but the side quests too. If you want to only include the main quest in the length, then go play a shooter.
Wise words. right you are.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #302
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Three "contacts" trailers have been released that focus on specific NPCs you'll run across in the game.

Sie and Grigori
Henry Leland

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #303
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Not sure if this has been posted already, but AP team hosted an event back in February regarding choices in games. Video is now available online. They talk a lot about AP, so I believe this belongs here.

Clicky!

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #304
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAlex View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already, but AP team hosted an event back in February regarding choices in games. Video is now available online. They talk a lot about AP, so I believe this belongs here.

Clicky!
Oh, yes, that one. There's some funny sh*t in there (Avellone is awesome), and the devs are a bit drunk near the end. The whole "choice" drinking game distracted me a little too much, but there were some interesting design points made by the devs between the jokes.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #305
jrrtoken

New preview, this time with bona fide new information. For example, Thorton's first mission "hub" is in Saudi Arabia, but after that, a non-linear approach is taken when Thorton is allowed to pursue leads from Saudi Arabia, leading him to Moscow, Taipei, or Rome, each city consisting of a "hub". There's also a rather spoiler-laden example near the third page, so feel free to skip it. I do assure you that it is worth it, however.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #306
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Sega has announced the DRM for the PC version:
  • Alpha Protocol uses Uniloc: SoftAnchor.

• Uniloc: SoftAnchor requires an internet connection to activate, though you don't need to always be connected to play the game, and the web site offers a work-around if you don't have an internet connection on the PC you install it on. 

• The PC version of Alpha Protocol uses an internet based licensing system, where, after installation, the user is required to enter a product registration code (license key) in order to begin playing the game. 

• You do not have to have the disc in your drive to play the game. 

• The game does not use SteamWorks, and the Steam version of the game will use Uniloc DRM. 

• The game can be installed on up to 5 different computers at any one time using the license key the game comes with. 

• There is a limit to the number of computers you can use Alpha Protocol on at any one time, but Sega says that the company is not restricting the number of computers you can install the game on over the life of the product. 

• SEGA will provide a version of the game without DRM using a future patch that it expects to make available 18-24 months after the game's release.

More info available here.

Not as draconian as the stupid crap Ubisoft has come up with, but you'd think by now they'd have learned that all DRM does is screw over legit users. And another Steam game that doesn't just stick with Steam's inbuilt DRM - retarded. Ah well, at least they have a road map to patch it out, which is more than I can say for most publishers.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #307
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Some new videos, although not with any particularly new content.

Factions trailer - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fa...rotocol/100189

Preview - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pr...rotocol/100121

Looks like AP has the same nasty normal map pop-in on the 360 that Mass Effect 1 had. Strange that Epic didn't help them resolve that, as clearly it was sorted for ME2.

EDIT: New interview up at IGN - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1089606p1.html

Last edited by DarthParametric; 05-14-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #308
jrrtoken

The first official review for Alpha Protocol, though it's in Spanish and the link to the review is, um, nonexistent. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Forum Community
* Graphics -> 80 - The exteriors are not so bad but the models and their animations are far from perfect.

* Sound -> 90 - Appropriate soundtrack.

* Diversity -> 89 - Even though it's the same game, there are many possibilities when it comes to customizing your character and deciding how to play.

* Duration -> 90 - The replayability factor is really high. You can play Alpha Protocol a lot of times without experiencing the same adventure.

* Overall -> 88 - A spy role playing game that succeeds in blending action with stealth and gives players a high degree of freedom in choosing how they want to proceed.

The Best parts of Alpha Protocol -> The freedom to choose how you want to acoplish your objectives and a great decision making system.
The Worst parts of Alpha Protocol -> Outdated graphics and basic AI.
Basically, I think that this will be the highest review for Alpha Protocol in the mainstream media, and I think that all of the reasons considered are fair enough, particularly the effect of the delay.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #309
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
anyone watch the xplay thoughts on it...

the graphics are not terrible, and the concept - as most who have been following feel - is high.

I have finally seen it on pre-orders (yeah... I am late to that train, I know) which clued me in that this puppy was almost ready.

Just built a brand new rig - this will be the first game I play on it. Hope it plays nice with win7x64
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #310
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

this is like Burn Notice the game... amirite?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #311
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Lookie lookie, new trailer.

View page
YouTube Video

So that's where all the development time went.

"See the gun? That's who I am."
What does that even mean, you can't be a gun. :/

Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #312
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
What does that even mean, you can't be a gun. :/
Careful there Sabre, you don't want people to think you are being critical of Obsidian’s writers. Personally I believe Obsidian hired the Governator’s speech writers to help with the dialogue.

Neat looking trailer, but that line was a little over the top.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #313
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well that was certainly an interesting trailer. I guess at least people will be talking about it.

Quote:
Ah, top shelf Avellone surely.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #314
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's here! (for me, at least )

Installing now (It's 2 DVDs on the PC), and i'll post some screens/impressions later. Here's a pic of the launcher (Don't really like it, if i'm honest) -

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #315
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
This is total BS. I demand Obsidian recall Alpha Protocol and release it in the U.S. first. It is our birthright to get video games first.

Show spoiler

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #316
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Really Astor, where's your sense of modesty?

It will still take me about a week to obtain it. Do not spoil anything. >_>

spoiler:
Would you be interested in compressing the installed game files and uploading them to... never mind.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #317
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
It will still take me about a week to obtain it. Do not spoil anything. >_>
Moar like it will take people about a week to rip and crack it for you :P

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #318
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post

Installing now (It's 2 DVDs on the PC), and i'll post some screens/impressions later. Here's a pic of the launcher (Don't really like it, if i'm honest) -

So glad they didn't use this POS for the box art, the new one looks so much better.

Comparison:

Not that I am getting a boxed version, already preloading it on Steam, but I can't stand bad box art. I like the new one a lot though.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #319
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've only played past the training missions and up to the first Safehouse so far. In all, I think it's been mostly positive, although I was a little confused in some places (some of the minigames can be very tricky to begin with).

I had to turn off the motion blur that occurs when you move the camera around - I found it to be a little overdone and distracting. That annoyance aside, I don't think the graphics are too bad (not that they were ever that important, anyway).

Show spoiler

I don't really know what to make of the story so far - it seemed a little confused at the beginning, although that might be my fault, as I reading the manual when it started.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #320
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Moar like it will take people about a week to rip and crack it for you :P
I accept nothing but top quality, sir.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Alpha Protocol - Obsidian's new RPG