lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Bullying in Schools
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #41
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
He went to the school, but the school said that since it was after school it was out of their hands.
What state was this in?
I know that when I was still in the schooling system in California, everybody was told on the first day of school, that the school was still responsible for you from the time that school starts, until your feet touch the inside of your house at the end of the day. Or, at least that is what I have been told.

I think that there should be more guidelines set up. I know that I hated being bullied on when I was in elementary school. I hated it. I can into school puttinga false smile on my face. I know that I kept it "bottled up" for a little while. Eventually I just couldn't take it anymore, so I went to the principal of the school, and it was immediately taken care of.

I was always the fat guy around at school. And the "smart" guy in class. Odd mixture? I still do weight the most in the whole school, but I think that sports have really been a faucet for me. I have found out that I am a strong, big athletic guys, not just fat. Through sports, I guess that I have proven myself, physically, mentally, and socially. The down side to that is that when I go to pat someone on the back or something, they always cringe and, I guess curl up a little bit. I always have to tell them that I'm not gonna hurt them.

To sum it all up, I think that there SHOULD be more rules and regulations that stop bullying, or harster punishments. No issuing of weapons, or anything like that. I think that that is nearly the same as issuing a gun. Think about it. If someone is issued weapons such as "brass-knuckles" or mace, ect. someone will eventually bring a gun to take care of there problems. Use words to try to resolve the problem, rather than violence.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #42
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Being in American schools sounds unpleasant:/

My secondary school had the both the cream of the middle class population and the slum kids that were pretty much just killing time until they could leave school legally (it's compulsory to school your child until age of 17). As a prefect, I had to deal with them as well, and it's pretty intimidating to tell a known gangster to tuck in his shirt and put on his tie:/

There were mitigating factors though, such as the discipline teacher who lurvesssss caning male students. Nevertheless, I think that one of the reason why I received some grudging respect from them (a pathetically small amount ) was that I didn't act afraid, and I asked them nicely:/ Either that or they just were being nice 'cuz I'm a girl

As numerous people have pointed out, self-esteem goes a long way towards preventing bullying. Even if you don't have it, fake it!

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

I found something interesting: The effects of bullying can be serious and even fatal. Mona O’Moore Ph. D of the Anti-Bullying Center, Trinity College Dublin, said, "There is a growing body of research which indicates that individuals, whether child or adult who are persistently subjected to abusive behavior are at risk of stress related illness which can sometimes lead to suicide"

Bullying is a disease that can't be eradicated, but it can be alleviated by teaching our children to treat others with respect

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #44
Ghost Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
One of them, whom I observed over the course of 10 years was wimp, until his father put him in for gym, some martial arts and that sort of stuff. And within a year he was bashing skulls.
Was his name.. *DUN DUN DUN* SABRETOOTH?!

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #45
JediRevan
Rookie

I have an eighteen year old son who was bullied in middle school. He took the bullying until he was slapped across the face three times by one of them in the cafeteria. He stood up, followed the bully onto the stage, and threw him off it. He immediately started pounding on the bully. A teacher stepped in and separated them but my son almost swung on him. The school started to suspend him until they found out the bully had started it. The bully was suspended and my son received lunch room duty for three days. My son hasn't been bothered by those bullies and he still goes to school with them.

True Toral
JediRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #46
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRevan
I have an eighteen year old son who was bullied in middle school. He took the bullying until he was slapped across the face three times by one of them in the cafeteria. He stood up, followed the bully onto the stage, and threw him off it. He immediately started pounding on the bully. A teacher stepped in and separated them but my son almost swung on him. The school started to suspend him until they found out the bully had started it. The bully was suspended and my son received lunch room duty for three days. My son hasn't been bothered by those bullies and he still goes to school with them.
QFE. Its not the suspension that stops the bully, but the physical negotiation taken on stage. Welcome to the real world. And I am glad it works out well in the end.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #47
*Don*
Rookie

^^^^
Agreed.

P.S.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever bullied someone else when they were in school?

"Any fool with a d*ck can make a child, but it takes a real man to raise one..."
- Boyz N The Hood
*Don* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #48
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^
Well, I cerainly know that I try not to. I mean, everybody, yes I think EVERYBODY, at one point in there educational life, has made fun of, or laughed at someone because of a mistake. Everybody has done it before, IMO. It is human nature. I don't try to intentionally bully. I generally try to stop others from bullying people mainly because I HAVE been on the other side and I know what it feels like. Not good.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #49
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
What really honks me off is that all the while I was being bullied I was being told by my parents and other adults in authority positions that fighing back was wrong.

I didn't believe it then, and I still don't believe it now.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 04-04-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: language
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #50
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^
I think that it is wrong. But that is just the way that I have been raised. I do honestly believe that it is wrong because the people in authority are put in authority for a reason. But, I also don't think that bullys are in authority positions. Sometimes the best thing to do is fight back but there are consequences to fighting back. You win some you lose some...

I have been told at the school that I am currently going to that if you do get in a fight, whether or not you started it, you still get in (equal?) trouble. If you try to stop the fight and you get hit, and you hit back in self-defence, I believe that you still get in 'trouble'.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #51
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That's ridiculous. People have a right to defend themselves; children and adults.

I can think of a few conspiracy theories that would explain such a policy, but I don't feel like donning my tin-foil hat ATM.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #52
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
^
Yep, I feel that if you are in self-defence mode, that it is fine to 'defend' yourself. I wouldn't care about the rules if I was in a situation like that. Besides, there really hasn't been any fights at the school that I attend. But I have only been there for a year....regardless it is a rule that has been...well...not spoken about. I got this information from a teacher that has been teaching for probably 32 years. Let alone, at this school for probably 15 or more years. He is the only teacher that has spoken about this rule. And numerous other things (not necessarily bad things) that really haven't been spoken freely about.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #53
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
I believe the main reason they punish you regardless of wether you fought in self defence is that it's often almost impossible for a teacher to know who was defending themselves. So what do you sugest teachers should do when the don't know who's guilty?

It might also have something to do with the fact that fighting back against a bully rarely works unless the victim and bully are about equally powerfull (not just strenght, friends, popularity etc also count).

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #54
JediRevan
Rookie

I have always taught my children to ignore name calling. I have also taught them not to strike another person unless that person swings at them first. My son heeded my lessons as I pointed out in my first post. Since that day, the bullies have left him alone. I also taught him to respect others as well as himself. He will not hit a girl or a woman. He has enlisted in the Navy and will go to boot camp sometime this summer. He will take with him the lessons his stepfather and I have taught him for the last seven years.

True Toral
JediRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #55
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Down
Was his name.. *DUN DUN DUN* SABRETOOTH?!
No, it wasn't. Besides, you know I don't bash skulls and have never taken martial arts. Different story, Ghostie.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #56
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Bullying doesn't typically start with physical violence. It usually starts with non-violent, but sometimes equally destructive, things such as name-calling, spreading rumors etc. That's where adults and more mature students can intervene before it escalates.

If violence is not acceptable behavior, then we need to teach alternatives so kids don't take bad habits into adulthood. Also, in the part of the country I live in, guns (legal or not) are readily available, and kids are unfortunately bringing them to school. Some of the schools have metal detectors but that's not fool-proof. While I tell my kids they can use self-defense techniques to the point that allows them to get out of the situation, if I tell them they can meet violence with violence, they could end up getting shot. They might not get hit that day, but that doesn't stop the bully (or his fellow gang members) from using weapons another day.

The 'hit the bully back and he'll leave you alone' philosophy may work for some but it won't for all, and it has meant a death sentence for some kids due to increased gun access. There are much better ways of dealing with bullies than teaching Johnny how to throw a punch back at the them. It is imperative in an increasingly weaponized society that we teach kids ways to handle conflict in non-violent ways.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Bullying in Schools