lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Was it right?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #121
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
The point is we wouldn't say it's ethical to, for instance, nuke Iraq just to save American soldiers. It's an unethical decision, but not doing it costs lives. So as you can see, things aren't quite as cut and dry as you might like to suggest.

In the end I don't think the 'lives saved' by bombing Japan makes the action any more ethical; we traded American soldiers for Japanese civilians. I'd call that dirty tactics, personally.
I'd call it "context". Since the situation in WWII with Japan is not even close to the situation in Iraq today.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #122
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
Still think it was right?

Whatch this video.

Sure it's only a cartoon, but it's VERY close to what the real thing would have been like.

WARNING:

DO NOT WATCH IT IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH.




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #123
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
^
I think that it just depicts what might have happened. I have watched documentaries saying that you would literally just be vaporized. Whether or not that is what the video was trying to show, I really don't know. But it did somewhat change my view because it showed the people. And in their point of view, not from ours. That really can change your view...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #124
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
That's what the video is meant to do.

It shows children being ripped apart where they stand, their eyes melting and bodies breaking apart.

Not pleasant.




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #125
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I definately know that that was the point of the movie. I think that it must have been horrible to be subjected to something like that. Little did we know of the effects of nuclear weapons...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #126
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I expect those that died in the firebombing of Tokyo or to those that died in the London Blitz did not find it pleasant either. I see no real difference for the dead between a nuclear bomb and a conventional bomb. After all dead is dead.

For the living it is another story, again both still have their own horrors for the living.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #127
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
I expect those that died in the firebombing of Tokyo or to those that died in the London Blitz did not find it pleasant either. I see no real difference for the dead between a nuclear bomb and a conventional bomb. After all dead is dead.

For the living it is another story, again both still have their own horrors for the living.
Aside from the fact that atom bombs if they don't kill you outright, maim your body, THEN kill you, you mean?




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #128
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
Aside from the fact that atom bombs if they don't kill you outright, maim your body, THEN kill you, you mean?
That is not possible with any other weapon? Other than deaths from radiation poisoning, are you saying people are not maimed or die after the fact with any other type of bomb? Have you seen many Vietnam veterans with Napalm burns or WWII, Korean veterans Vietnam veteran or Iraqi Veterans with White Phosphorus burns.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #129
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
Do regular bombs also cause hair loss, anemia and cancer etc...?

So if say, a nuke was dropped on the city where you live, you wouldn't be more pissed off than if a regular device was used?




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #130
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
So if say, a nuke was dropped on the city where you live, you wouldn't be more pissed off than if a regular device was used?
If I'm dead either way, how would I get mad?

Now if you are talking about a 500-pound bomb hitting a mile away or a nuke hitting 15 miles away, then yes I would be upset with both, but more about the nuke since I would have time to get mad about my own death.

However if we are talking about something like the London Blitz where they are going to bomb my city for 57 straight days, then I might be just as scared and upset as with the nuke since I may die tomorrow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
Do regular bombs also cause hair loss, anemia and cancer etc...?
Again I don't see the point. If the bomb does what it was design to do and kills, does it really matter to how it kills you. Isn't it just as wrong no matter how you die?


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #131
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
The Blitz was terrible, yeah, but did it obliterate a whole city and level thousands of buildings like Little Boy and Fat Man did?

Did it vapourise women and children, and leave babies being born with deformities for years later?

No.

Your arguement is well put together, but I believe you are wrong.




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #132
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
The Blitz was terrible, yeah, but did it obliterate a whole city and level thousands of buildings like Little Boy and Fat Man did?
No, in the London Blitz more than a million homes were destroyed or damaged.
London Blitz
London Blitz 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
Did it vaporized women and children, and leave babies being born with deformities for years later?
I'm sure some were vaporized, after all it does not take a nuclear blast to vaporize a human body. Again, what does it matter if the body was vaporized, you are dead either way.

I do not know about deformities as I do not know what was released into the air when more than a million buildings were destroyed. However, I would venture a guess that it was not significant or there would be evidence of studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
Your arguement is well put together, but I believe you are wrong.
Please don’t get my remarks wrong, I do not believe you are wrong. I have written more than once the bombings was immoral. However, I don’t believe the fact that they were nuclear weapons make it immoral. The fact that they targeted civilians is what makes it immoral to me. Even so, given the same information and the same set of circumstances as Truman was presented with I would have used the bombs too. However, with today’s information and knowing the complete ramifications of bombs I would hope Truman would either not choice to use the bombs or chosen different targets. With today’s information I would not use the bombs.



Last edited by mimartin; 03-27-2008 at 11:32 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #133
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo
 
Arcesious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 1,876
Current Game: Mass Effect
If we have no other choice, and we have to bomb a city filled with civilians for some reason, it would be best if the weapon killed the people in a split second. A quick and painless death is better than a slow and agonizing death, even if it the same result- death in the end. Slow deaths to innocent civilians is inhumane... I have no intention of killing innocent civilians any time soon though...


Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #134
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
DDD, those who were vaporized were the lucky ones, believe me.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #135
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
...However, I don’t believe the fact that they were nuclear weapons make it immoral. The fact that they targeted civilians is what makes it immoral to me. Even so, given the same information and the same set of circumstances as Truman was presented with I would have used the bombs too. However, with today’s information and knowing the complete ramifications of bombs I would hope Truman would either not choice to use the bombs or chosen different targets. With today’s information I would not use the bombs.
While I agree with your first statement, I think you'd have to agree that it'd have been virtually impossible (if at all) to target any military base or infrastructure in Japan that wouldn't have resulted in the deaths of tens or more of thousands using that type of weapon, given the population density of Japan .


@DI-
In his declaration, Hirohito referred to the atomic bombings :

“ Moreover, the enemy now possesses a new and terrible weapon with the power to destroy many innocent lives and do incalculable damage. Should we continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.
Such being the case, how are We to save the millions of Our subjects, or to atone Ourselves before the hallowed spirits of Our Imperial Ancestors? This is the reason why We have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the Joint Declaration of the Powers."

Technically, it was the the decision of the Emperor to end the war that ended the war, capped by the signing on the Big Mo in Tokyo Harbor.

@Inyri- the best I'll grant you is hysterical (in both senses actually) sarcasm.

@Ray--you're entitled to your opinions.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #136
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
With today’s information I would not use the bombs.
While I may not know the specifics of the whole debate, and while I haven't researched this as others have - I've found this to be perhaps the central point - Now, i'm not sure if the US forces had adequate time to test the devices, but it still seems that, at the time, nobody knew quite what the bomb would do - until it had been used.

It's always been said 'Hindsight is a wonderful thing', so, with hindsight, and knowing what we know would happen, it would be wrong to drop the bomb, and perhaps find a better route of ending the war. But, such is the way of 'Total War' - no-one is safe. London learned that from the Luftwaffe.

But as to whether I think it was right or not - i'm not sure.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #137
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
The dangers of radioactive materials were known long before any bombs were constructed. And the US did test the a-bomb before Hiroshima. They knew what was going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
It shows children being ripped apart where they stand, their eyes melting and bodies breaking apart.
Well, technically, human or living tissue doesn't melt away. Given a minimum temperature it simply burns to ashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
I expect those that died in the firebombing of Tokyo or to those that died in the London Blitz did not find it pleasant either. I see no real difference for the dead between a nuclear bomb and a conventional bomb. After all dead is dead.
The worst result of a fireboming is the firestorm which might occur when the fire grows big enough, causing houses, streets, general everything around you to burn at like 1000°, up to 2000°C in the centre. You can't go anywhere because it appears to be very hard to walk through 1000°C hot air over melted, burning asphalt against hurricane like winds. A cruel death indeed.

Wood fires, "normal" fires and also atom bombs are known to produce firestorms as well. (a firestorm also occurred in Hiroshima btw)

However.

At detonation time the temperature within an a-bomb is 60 to 100 million °C.

0.025 seconds later it looks like this

Note that this thing is already 300 metres in diameter and still about 10000°C hot on the surface. The surface of the sphere is not fire, it's air heated and ionised so rapidly you can't see through it to look at the actual explosion (bright as the sun) behind it.

(the picture shows the test of the bomb before Hiroshima, the first test ever, so this is really rather tiny and cute)

1 second later and over 500 metres away the air burned at about 4000°C. That means you are vaporised and your "remains" are gone before you even recognise something happened. Within 2 km range there was no chance to survive at all. And this is only for the ancient bombs. Etcetera etcetera blah blah.

In fact, that cartoon doesn't even come near to what really happened.


Quote:
If I'm dead either way, how would I get mad?

Now if you are talking about a 500-pound bomb hitting a mile away or a nuke hitting 15 miles away, then yes I would be upset with both, but more about the nuke since I would have time to get mad about my own death.

However if we are talking about something like the London Blitz where they are going to bomb my city for 57 straight days, then I might be just as scared and upset as with the nuke since I may die tomorrow too.

Again I don't see the point. If the bomb does what it was design to do and kills, does it really matter to how it kills you. Isn't it just as wrong no matter how you die?
Hamburg after WWII and 40000 tons of bombs (=160000 500 pound bombs) and a firestorm



Hiroshima after WWII and 1 bomb and a firestorm


Given that Hamburg was one of the cities receiving the heaviest bombings over 6 years, how many 500 pound bombs do you want to drop to do *this* in but 1 day?



Last edited by Ray Jones; 03-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #138
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
The dangers of radioactive materials were known long before any bombs were constructed. And the US did test the a-bomb before Hiroshima. They knew what was going to happen.
They did not even know for sure it would work. They had no clue to the extent of the damage. Yes, they knew about radiation poisoning, but again they had no clue about the long-term affects. Hiroshima and Nagasaki was their lab, we can call that immoral to experiment on human subjects.

Nice research on the difference by firebombing and nuclear weapons, I already knew there was a difference, but do not see the point. It is like comparing the difference between being shot to death and being stabbed to death, you still end up dead. My statement did make it clear I was talking about the dead didn’t it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
I expect those that died in the firebombing of Tokyo or to those that died in the London Blitz did not find it pleasant either. I see no real difference for the dead between a nuclear bomb and a conventional bomb. After all dead is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Given that Hamburg was one of the cities receiving the heaviest bombings over 6 years, how many 500 pound bombs do you want to drop to do *this* in but 1 day?
While any sane person will agree with the horrors of the nuclear blast and agree that the survivability is explanatorily better with convictional weapons, I find the mental cruelty of bombing over a period of time just as barbaric. So you survived the last attack, but the next one may have your name on it or your friend’s or a member of your family. You go some place else after your home is destroyed and the next raid destroys it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
While I agree with your first statement, I think you'd have to agree that it'd have been virtually impossible (if at all) to target any military base or infrastructure in Japan that wouldn't have resulted in the deaths of tens or more of thousands using that type of weapon, given the population density of Japan .
Agreed, after all someone has to work at these plants and military bases, so homes and cities have to be near by. How do you separate the military assets (plant workers) from the other citizens?



Last edited by mimartin; 03-28-2008 at 11:12 AM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #139
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Now im not sure how much truth there is in this, or if it's a reputable source, but I found this on wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Target Committee at Los Alamos on May 10–11, 1945, recommended Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama, and the arsenal at Kokura as possible targets. The committee rejected the use of the weapon against a strictly military objective because of the chance of missing a small target not surrounded by a larger urban area. The psychological effects on Japan were of great importance to the committee members. They also agreed that the initial use of the weapon should be sufficiently spectacular for its importance to be internationally recognized. The committee felt Kyoto, as an intellectual center of Japan, had a population "better able to appreciate the significance of the weapon." Hiroshima was chosen because of its large size, its being "an important army depot" and the potential that the bomb would cause greater destruction because the city was surrounded by hills which would have a "focusing effect".
So, it seems from that paragraph, that there was a conscious effort to include civilians as targets. But we probably all knew that anyway.

In many ways, the surrender of Japan after the second bomb was fortunate - the US planned to drop another the week after, and six more during September and October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John A. Siemes
"We have discussed among ourselves the ethics of the use of the bomb. Some consider it in the same category as poison gas and were against its use on a civil population. Others were of the view that in total war, as carried on in Japan, there was no difference between civilians and soldiers, and that the bomb itself was an effective force tending to end the bloodshed, warning Japan to surrender and thus to avoid total destruction. It seems logical to me that he who supports total war in principle cannot complain of war against civilians."
I don't know how relevant that really is to the discussion, but I thought it was a pretty good statement regarding it.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #140
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Oh yeah, 6 more a-bombs. That would've surely kept the death toll below that of conventional methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
They did not even know for sure it would work. They had no clue to the extent of the damage. Yes, they knew about radiation poisoning, but again they had no clue about the long-term affects. Hiroshima and Nagasaki was their lab, we can call that immoral to experiment on human subjects.
They knew what would happen if the bombs work. After all they tested it beforehand in New Mexico on July 16th, 1945. (Trinity test) The first picture in my previous post is from that test.


picture of the crater of the Trinity test, the small black spot in the lower right corner is the crater of a 100 ton TNT reference explosion (=400 500 pound bombs at once) about one month earlier

They definitely knew what it would do. And it was also no secret that radioactivity has long term effects.

And at least after Hiroshima, they knew what was going to happen to Nagasaki.


Quote:
Nice research on the difference by firebombing and nuclear weapons, I already knew there was a difference, but do not see the point. It is like comparing the difference between being shot to death and being stabbed to death, you still end up dead. My statement did make it clear I was talking about the dead didn’t it?
Of course it did.

But like you've said, which attack do you think has better chances to be dodged, knife or bullet?


Quote:
I find the mental cruelty of bombing over a period of time just as barbaric.
Which leads to the point of the mental cruelty to know that the city next door received an a-bomb per airmail the other day and is now *absent*.


Quote:
So you survived the last attack, but the next one may have your name on it or your friend’s or a member of your family. You go some place else after your home is destroyed and the next raid destroys it too.
But where do you want to go when you know a whole city just got levelled, half of the population got killed, not in one night, no within 1 minute, and the other half is now still about to die, even one week later?

Note that there're not even any trees any more on the Hiroshima picture, while Hamburg's trees are still "green".



Last edited by Ray Jones; 03-28-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #141
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Oh yeah, 6 more a-bombs. That would've surely kept the death toll below that of conventional methods.
I didn't say it would have kept the death toll down - I merely said that the US were planning more raids.

Aside from the moral aspect, there were no agreements preventing the targeting of civilians or their property - so in a sense, everything was 'fair game'.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the use of nuclear weapons, and think it was wrong to use them - i'm just pointing a few things.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #142
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine
I didn't say it would have kept the death toll down - I merely said that the US were planning more raids.
I know. I just commented on that info and a general consent that dropping the bombs was right because lives on all sides were saved, and that this was also the intention of the a-bombs to the begin with.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #143
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
IIRC no one gave a hoot about Japanese lives, just American lives. Nationalism sucks, don't you think?

I like to see myself as human first, American second, but... it was another time back then. Of course most people don't see it my way which is probably why there's still so much conflict among nations.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #144
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
IIRC no one gave a hoot about Japanese lives, just American lives. Nationalism sucks, don't you think?
While I think that having a national identity is important, it shouldn't get in the way of other considerations - such as preservation of human life - and as you said, it still goes on today.

I may be wrong in saying in this, but it seems to me that many Americans simply wanted to get revenge on the 'Nips' (ugh) for Pearl Harbor. But they wanted to hit the Japanese harder than they themselves had been hit, with the end result being what we are now currently discussing.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #145
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I wouldn't be surprised if that was a motivation. I'm certain it wasn't the only one, but... historically we do not take kindly to being attacked on our own home turf.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #146
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom
 
Bee Hoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,269
Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
IIRC no one gave a hoot about Japanese lives, just American lives. Nationalism sucks, don't you think?
It seems to be a pretty popular sentiment in this thread :/



The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #147
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
But like you've said, which attack do you think has better chances to be dodged, knife or bullet?
The key word being dead. Can't dodge either if you are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Which leads to the point of the mental cruelty to know that the city next door received an a-bomb per airmail the other day and is now *absent*.
After the surrender there was no need to worry about when the next a-bomb would fall.

Comparing peoples suffering is futile. You are not going to get me to say one had it worst than the other. I apologize to all members for bringing the subject up. Personally I feel equally sorry for all that perished and to those that were left behind. Funny, mankind had the war to end all wars produce the horrors of gas weapons, then we turned around and had another world war where we invented new weapons of horrors to kill and destroy each other. Yet what have we learned nothing, we still wage war and we are still looking for the new horrific weapon to afflict damage onto our enemy.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #148
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon
It seems to be a pretty popular sentiment in this thread :/
I know. It makes me sad to see people saying stuff like that.

I wub our Asian brethren! *gives Bee a big hug*

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #149
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
historically we do not take kindly to being attacked on our own home turf.
I don't think any population would, in fact, that's probably why Japan has been calling for global nuclear disarmament for such a long time - they don't want it to happen to other nations.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #150
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
IIRC no one gave a hoot about Japanese lives, just American lives. Nationalism sucks, don't you think?

I like to see myself as human first, American second, but... it was another time back then. Of course most people don't see it my way which is probably why there's still so much conflict among nations.
Yeah, the society was different back then, it's hard to imagine how to make a decision like this without actually being there in that era. I tend to not dwell in the past, but i have always felt strongly about the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki; IMO nothing can justify them, it was tactical genocide to end the Pacific Theatre of WWII. However i'm not going to be an "Anti-American" as i tend to believe that people of a nation should not be judged based on past deeds of a former generation. Of course, this is just my opinion, of which i'm sure people will disagree on, but to anyone thinking that Japan got "what they deserved" just think about how America would react if the same thing happened to them? It doesn't matter how you dress it up, it's genocide, period. The way i see it is that humanity needs to learn from this to make sure horrific events such as this never happen again.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #151
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
I don't think any population would, in fact, that's probably why Japan has been calling for global nuclear disarmament for such a long time - they don't want it to happen to other nations.
Yes, but Americans seem particularly shocked when we're directly attacked, like we're under the misguided impression that we're immune to it or something. Other countries are like "hey, you attacked us, go die in a fire." The US is like "omg you attacked us, that's not allowed!"

Not that I want us to be attacked or anything, I just think as a nation our overall opinion on that matter is... maybe a little self-centered.
Quote:
However i'm not going to be an "Anti-American" as i tend to believe that people of a nation should not be judged based on past deeds of a former generation.
Also remember that the majority of the population had no say in that (or any other) military decision. I think a distinct difference needs to be drawn between anti-[insert-country-here] and anti-[insert-country-here]'s government.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #152
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom
 
Bee Hoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,269
Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
I know. It makes me sad to see people saying stuff like that.

I wub our Asian brethren! *gives Bee a big hug*
We be sisters, you and I

I think all this nationalism is silly anyway. We are all humans, for what it's worth:P



The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #153
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Yes, but Americans seem particularly shocked when we're directly attacked, like we're under the misguided impression that we're immune to it or something. Other countries are like "hey, you attacked us, go die in a fire." The US is like "omg you attacked us, that's not allowed!"

Not that I want us to be attacked or anything, I just think as a nation our overall opinion on that matter is... maybe a little self-centered.
Now, I dont know overly much about American culture and beliefs, but over here (UK), it does seem occasionally that Americans think, sometimes wrongly, that they *are* the most powerful people in the world.

That could possibly be linked to the use of a-bombs.

American 'Hey look! We're mighty powerful! See that city?'

Non-American 'What city'

American 'Exactly'

I hope that didn't come across as racist, or offensive, as that wasnt my intent.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #154
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I believe some are making a huge generalization and I personally find it offensive. Not everyone that agrees with the bombing of Japan believes that it was right to do so because the Japanese were not what Americans would consider at the time “white folk.” The President had the responsibility for the American people; the Emperor was responsible for his people. Of course the President of the United States is going to be more concern about the lives of Americans over the people of Japan. Yes, the President even states, after the bombing, that revenge was a motivation behind the bombing, but it was because of Pearl Harbor, not because they were a non-white nation.

If you are responsible for one human life, but there are two humans in the room, which one are you going to be more concern about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Yes, but Americans seem particularly shocked when we're directly attacked, like we're under the misguided impression that we're immune to it or something.
Yet, we learn nothing. The next time it happened we were just a shocked. It happened across the pound for years, but when we were attacked it was a complete shock. I figure the next time it happens it will still be a complete shock to us.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #155
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom
 
Bee Hoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,269
Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Also remember that the majority of the population had no say in that (or any other) military decision. I think a distinct difference needs to be drawn between anti-[insert-country-here] and anti-[insert-country-here]'s government.
Amen to that. Most people fail to distinguish between the two.



The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #156
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
The key word being dead. Can't dodge either if you are dead.
While that is right, I think you know where I'm coming from. ;~~

Quote:
After the surrender there was no need to worry about when the next a-bomb would fall.
Aw, come on. Now you're reaching for straws. :P After a surrender there is no need to worry about fire bombings either.

Quote:
Comparing peoples suffering is futile. You are not going to get me to say one had it worst than the other. I apologize to all members for bringing the subject up.
OK.


Quote:
Funny, mankind had the war to end all wars produce the horrors of gas weapons, then we turned around and had another world war where we invented new weapons of horrors to kill and destroy each other.
It had to come this way, especially because after millenniums of having enough space on earth to go somewhere else, earth finally became to small. The lessons of the world wide wars were inevitable.

Quote:
Yet what have we learned nothing, we still wage war and we are still looking for the new horrific weapon to afflict damage onto our enemy.
I don't think so. Among other things, we have learned that nuclear weapons are of no practical use, especially because they destroy more than the enemy. And we have learned that the simple act of occupying land is not of much use either.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #157
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom
 
Bee Hoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,269
Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I don't think so. Among other things, we have learned that nuclear weapons are of no practical use, especially because they destroy more than the enemy. And we have learned that the simple act of occupying land is not of much use either.
Learning's all well and good, but pretty pointless if you don't act on it:/



The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #158
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,263
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Some do, some don't. It's more than the "nobody does" from a hundred years ago, and shows at least a tendency.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #159
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,064
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I don't think so. Among other things, we have learned that nuclear weapons are of no practical use, especially because they destroy more than the enemy.
Have we? Then why are countries still trying to develop nuclear weapons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
And we have learned that the simple act of occupying land is not of much use either.
Oh I hope you are correct about this one.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #160
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Have we? Then why are countries still trying to develop nuclear weapons?
Because other countries are still afraid of being nuked?

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Was it right?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.