lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Humorous KotOR 2 Review/Walkthrough
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Humorous KotOR 2 Review/Walkthrough

Good for a laugh. WARNING: Adult (or should I say punk kid) language.

Anyone who hasn't seen this yet should check it out.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 04-13-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
JCarter426

Ah, I've seen this before. I really recommend it.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
JK24
Rookie

I've seen this before too. Gave me quite a few laughs.

Lashowe: "Do you know how many Sith there are on this planet?"
Jolee: "Twelve! No, wait! Thirteen!"
Canderous: "Nice one, old man."
Jolee: "Thank you. It takes effort to be properly irreverent at my age."
JK24 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Just an FYI that reading this walkthrough just might make KotOR unplayable. Try to apply this level of analysis to the KotOR writing and you may find your once-favored game seriously lacking. Just sayin'
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
JCarter426

Too true.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

However, it is funny, nonetheless.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
YertyL

Oh man that's brilliant!
(concerning Kreia) "Basically, she's your mother. Have you called your mother lately?"
YertyL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Just an FYI that reading this walkthrough just might make KotOR unplayable. Try to apply this level of analysis to the KotOR writing and you may find your once-favored game seriously lacking. Just sayin'
Yes, along with the heavy dose of humor Scorchy does provide a rather in-depth analysis of the plot, doesn't he? He also doesn't hesitate to point out the game's numerous flaws, thereby providing a balanced viewpoint as well. He does an excellent job of showing why this game is worth playing in spite of it's rushed and incomplete nature.

That's why I like this walkthrough so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertyl
Oh man that's brilliant!
(concerning Kreia) "Basically, she's your mother. Have you called your mother lately?"
And that's just at the beginning. Read the whole thing. It's awesome!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by YertyL
Oh man that's brilliant!
That's one of my favorites. That, and the description of the Handmaiden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Yes, along with the heavy dose of humor Scorchy does provide a rather in-depth analysis of the plot, doesn't he? He also doesn't hesitate to point out the game's numerous flaws, thereby providing a balanced viewpoint as well. He does an excellent job of showing why this game is worth playing in spite of it's rushed and incomplete nature.

That's why I like this walkthrough so much.
Same here. It's good to see someone with an unbiased viewpoint for once.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Irony++.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I was suffering from this syndrome long before I read this walkthrough.

I have yet to experience BOS because of it.

-Toker
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
JCarter426

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I was suffering from this syndrome long before I read this walkthrough.
Same here. Though, after reading the walkthrough, I now appreciate K2 even more.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:

I have yet to experience BOS because of it.
I had a long break from KotOR before playing TSL and I don't think I'd really played it too much since either. I do remember feeling as though the game was somewhat diminished in subsequent playthroughs, but after finishing Scorchy's write-up, I decided to go through once more based on what I felt KotOR should have been like based on his observations. Now I'm finding the dialog is triggering my gag reflex more than I care for. Thanks to an observation made by Emperor Devon, I'm noticing that damn near every single line of dialog contains an exclamation point, which is driving me a little batty also. So yeah, I think I'll be retiring the game after I finish this round.

Oh, and since I've now done my homework and realized that the same guy that wrote this also did Jade Empire and Mass Effect, I don't that I will be playing either of those games either.

PS: What is a "BOS"?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
BoS=Brotherhood of Shadow, Silveredge9's expansion pack for KotOR1. It's supposed to be really good.
Quote:
Oh, and since I've now done my homework and realized that the same guy that wrote this also did Jade Empire and Mass Effect, I don't that I will be playing either of those games either.
I'll have to check those out. Would you kindly provide linkage? I can't seem to find them.

Or did you mean that the same guy that wrote KotOR1 wrote JE and ME?

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 04-15-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
JCarter426

Jade Empire I heard was...meh, but Mass Effect is supposed to be good.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Lol, nice find

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Or did you mean that the same guy that wrote KotOR1 wrote JE and ME?
Yeah. Sorry I wasn't very clear there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
pshaw...everyone knows that mimartin tells lies
Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Yeah. Sorry I wasn't very clear there
Uh...

Did I miss an answer in there somewhere?

-Toker
Old 04-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Uh...

Did I miss an answer in there somewhere?
Yep. The very first word.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Doc Valentine
Ha-Ha Kotor Modding

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
I never played Jade Empire, but Mass Effect was actually a good game. It does have it's moments where you can tell that it was written by the same guy though . It really depends if you liked Kotor or not, if you did, then you will like Mass Effect.

I don't need you no more in this world. I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late.
Doc Valentine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Yep. The very first word.
Oops. Duh.

-Toker
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Handmaiden = albino...
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Thanks to an observation made by Emperor Devon,
I'm flattered you remember after this long. :P

But ja, exclamation points aside a lot of the dialogue is pretty damn bad...

Quote:
"Fine. Just give me the stupid datapad!"

"You better finish counting quick, because I'm ready to make my move now!"

"You can't kill me! I'm invincible!"

"I said no, flipper-head!"
Gods, you'd never see anything of quality this low from an Obsidian game.

Quote:
So yeah, I think I'll be retiring the game after I finish this round.
I wouldn't go so far as to discount KotOR completely... it's nowhere nearly as good as TSL, to be sure, but I think if the following things had been implemented it could have very well been up to par with its sequel. (See below list.)

Quote:
Can't speak for Mass Effect (not owning a 360), but Jade Empire's worth a play. The PC's dialogue isn't masterful and the story is admittedly fairly simple, but all the same it's plenty of fun and has a few nice plot twists of its own. (Morality-wise it's still fairly black and white, admittedly - which is a pity, given the devs set the groundwork for it to be so much more.) All the same, I don't think you'll find anyone here who'd recommend against it.

Anyways, it's a truly excellent walkthrough - amusingly enough, it offered much more insight into the game than I'd garnered from most reviews or even the Codex. (They are still sadly biased towards it , but at least they slam K1 harder. :/)

Scorch hasn't made me dislike K1 any further, though. If anything his praises of TSL have highlighted for me what BioWare could've added to make KotOR less... well, bad:

-morally ambiguous choices (it's a time of war, there were countless opportunities to raise whether the ends justify the means questions)
-more focus on an underlying theme (redemption, or above question)
-less linear planets
-more inter-party banter, especially on the Hawk
-more focus on Malak's past and Revan's role in his fall (aka a less blavk and white villain)
-more reasons for the PC to go DS (kudos to machiavelli for his idea of Revan finding out about the true Sith from the computer in the Rakatan temple)
-less... well, awful, dialogue

I'm convinced KotOR could have rivaled TSL if it had implemented the above ideas. Sadly it didn't, but I don't think there's any reason to give up on it. Many of the characters are still enjoyable, and even if the story isn't deep it's still entertaining. And with the poor dialogue fixed up, the game isn't half bad to play through. (I've been editing out some of the more terrible lines recently, and it's amazing what a difference it makes.) Even if the above ideas had been implemented it still probably wouldn't have been as good as its sequel, but it's still a fun game in its own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #24
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I'm flattered you remember after this long. :P

But ja, exclamation points aside a lot of the dialogue is pretty damn bad..........

Some decent ideas at the end there. The exclamation points seemed to stick out a little more in the last play through, perhaps in part b/c the voice acting seemed to indicate otherwise. Slighty annoying, but not to the point of never playing it again.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman

Last edited by Totenkopf; 04-18-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
Q
The one who knocks

Don't get me wrong guys & gals: I still love KotOR1 and it still ranks as one of the greatest video game experiences I ever had.

At the same time it just doesn't seem to have the replay value that KotOR2 has. The lack of good writing probably has a lot to with it. KotOR1 just doesn't have the depth of KotOR2. KotOR2 has some truly deep flaws that even TSLRP won't be able to fix and still manages to come off as the better game. If Obsidian had had six more months of development time it would be indisputable.
Quote:
Anyways, it's a truly excellent walkthrough - amusingly enough, it offered much more insight into the game than I'd garnered from most reviews or even the Codex. (They are still sadly biased towards it , but at least they slam K1 harder. :/)
I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this walkthrough is very insightful as well as being friggin' hilarious. Scorchy also went to the trouble of including all of the cut content.

-Toker
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
I've read this one before and his reference to Orpheus and Eurydice is just as funny now as it was the first time .

Quote:
Gods, you'd never see anything of quality this low from an Obsidian game.
I don't think that's entirely true, Ed. Ammon Jerro's dialogue in MotB leaps to mind. Then again, all bad writing in Obsidian's games is made up for by:

Judge: And you, Sand? Anything more you wish to add that you did not say in the first three hours?
Sand: Only that the dress the ambassador is wearing is clearly out of fashion, a blatant attempt to distract the court from the matter at hand, and is more appropriate for a Docks prostitute than a diplomatic envoy. Thank you.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
Corinthian
Banned

Emperor, that's the heart and soul of Star Wars right there - bad dialog with good delivery. Or bad delivery, as the case might be. Who can forget...

"I hate sand its rough and course and it gets in everywhere"

Or perhaps...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
"I hate sand its rough and course and it gets in everywhere"
Coarse.

Mission basically had the same line in K1, anyhow. I think she delivered it about 100x better though. Since she wasn't Anakin and all.

Btw, Pav, did Sand really say that? I must replay!

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Yeah, the "noo" thing was especially bad in Episode 3, as opposed to 1 and 5. If you piled up the amount of differences, they'd reach the ****ing moon.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
The delivery really makes that line too. Priceless.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #31
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Mission basically had the same line in K1, anyhow. I think she delivered it about 100x better though.
BioWare recycles the line again in Mass Effect, but with a more adult theme.

Quote:
pshaw...everyone knows that mimartin tells lies
First Texans get a bad rap on this forum, now this. I never lie about anything important such as Longhorn football or games…Well I will give you Longhorn football, but not games.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
BioWare recycles the line again in Mass Effect, but with a more adult theme.
hehe. Whilst playing KotOR recently I also noticed that they recycled the star forge droids when designing the Geth.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Yup. I attached the voice-over to the post. Achilles is right -- the delivery is what makes the line .
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20_cs_trial_0179.zip (127.4 KB, 51 views)

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #34
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Whilst playing KotOR recently I also noticed that they recycled the star forge droids when designing the Geth.
Some of the Geth! Geth come in different varieties with different abilities including strengths and weakness. They have hopped them up on Roger Clements best stash and have some intelligence when compared to the Star Forge Droids. . Not a lot of intelligence, but some.

Nice find Qliveur, my favorite line from the walkthrough/review is when he picks Atton, Mira and Visas to investigate the transmission from the jungle. Scorchy writes “Together they will form the Lightsaber Justice Squadron.”

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #35
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
One of my favorites is that the title of one of the segments is "Domo Arigato, Mr. Goto."

-Toker
Old 04-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #36
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
I've read this one before and his reference to Orpheus and Eurydice is just as funny now as it was the first time .
Quote:
One of my favorites is that the title of one of the segments is "Domo Arigato, Mr. Goto."
Those two were brilliant. Two of my other favorites were the entire CSI: Iziz post, and the "Where we're going, we don't need credits" interlude.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Some of the Geth!
(Ooo, I wonder what this button does...)

Watching mimartin's head explode over Mass Effect criticism is quickly becoming my preferred form of entertainment
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #38
Lance Monance
Rookie

This walkthrough is priceless. Good thing I'm done with Kotor. Though an analysis like that would probably destroy any game.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #39
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
You all are crazy
You don't have a problem with KOTOR, you have a problem with Star Wars.
KOTOR1 was pure Star Wars, cheese and all.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #40
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
Truth.

And I still love KotOR1. I just love KotOR2 more.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Humorous KotOR 2 Review/Walkthrough