lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I name thee....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
Web Rider

I name thee....

So, I was thinking about people who name their kids weird things, like those morons in New Zealand who wanted to name their kid "4real" because they realized how "real" pregnancy and parenthood was.*coughidiotscough*.

But then what came to mind, were people who named their kids odd things, but more acceptable things, like strange spellings of existing names, or "Nevaeh"(Heaven backwards), which brought me to thinking about people who name their kids after movie/comic/tv characters. Now, generally such people have normal names, Clark, Lois, Luke, ect....But some of them have very particularly unreal or unusual names, like: Zelda, Leia, Anakin, ect...

So the question I have for you is: what do you think are the implications of children of (y)our generation having fictional character names? Good? Bad? Political implications? Will somebody named Kenobi Smith never get taken seriously in life while Anakin Jones will be feared that he make betray you and kill your children?

We already know a lot of people have problems discerning reality from fiction do you forsee any problems with such things as people being named Frodo or Gandalf? Or do you think these names will just integrate into society as other invented names have? Will a hundred years from now people have Mary-Sue elvish names like: Cri'sah?

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
JD-Rom
Rookie

HEY! My old-enough-to-be-my-aunt cousin's name is Leia! Also IIRC, didn't one of the members here have a child named Anakin?

I think it mostly depends on the influence of pop-culture and its trends. For all we know, centuries later, everyone might be named Marklar.
JD-Rom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Names don't define a person.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
JD-Rom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker
It's their actions that define them. Judging someone just by name is pretty shallow.
JD-Rom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'm not sure on the US, but a person unsatisfied with his/her name cal always legally change it here.

And as for the children (Since the first options is only available to adults), we have a system that theoretically protects them from having "weird" names. I'll admit that the system is incredibly imprecise, since you must present someone that has that "strange" name to a randomly chosen committee. How's the name deemed strange on the first place by that system is imprecise alone, seeing how the person that register the citizens do that work.

The names themselves are only names. The only bad thing I can think on when those are given to children is bullying.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
The only bad thing I can think on when those are given to children is bullying.
Always reminds me of the Johnny Cash song "A boy Named Sue"
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Rom
It's their actions that define them. Judging someone just by name is pretty shallow.
Shallow as it may be, when you go in for an interview and your name is "Anakin Jones" the interviewer is going to spend more time wondering why the heck you're named after a Jedi-gone-bad than focusing on your marketable skills.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Talking of silly names... Check the felon/Driver's name on this news report lol, I think Mr and Mrs Butler enjoyed a certain film in 1980 lol...

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/a...EWS05/80208042

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Web Rider

Quote:
So you're telling me a person named Adolf Hitler Johansen would not be defined as a nazi, a bad person, ect..? Heh, I'd love to go into a 7-11 or some such and meet a guy named Adolf Hitler. I mean really, how many Germans these days are named Adolf? I'm sure with their spin on WWII, it's pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Rom
it is, but reality is pretty shallow. And people are often rather judgmental, so judging a person by their name would not come as a surprise to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
Which reminds me of my grandfather was named Valarian. One of his daughters(my aunt) names is Valanna. But he was a military chaplin, nobody bothered him over being named "Val", which is what most people knew him as.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Yes. Yes they do.

OT, I think Anakin Jones will be a pretty surprising name to be taken seriously, people who get to know him will eventually forget that fact as they get closer to Anakin. For the unrelated though, a certain "Anakin Jones" may spark oodles of laughter.

And the name Anakin sucks anyway, IMO.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
Kenobi Smith
That actually sounds pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth

But anyway...

Regarding bullying...no one bullies someone because of their name. It doesn't start with that. Sure, if you name a kid Louie, he might be called "Screwy Louie" (cookie for anyone who gets the reference ), but the there's the same probability that Louie will be the one doing the name calling (i.e. he actually is screwy ).

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
Aha! That takes me back. But in the story of the song, it toughened him up enough to want to kill someone.

Didn't Nicholas Cage name his son Kal-El? after Superman?
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Apple. Worst. Name. Ever. A close second is Harmony, followed by Peace, Love, and Passion.

Oh, and bleh at bullying. Kids will make fun of someone regardless of how 'strange' their name is. An unusual name is just one more piece of (incredibly small) ammunition in a bully's arsenal.

I have a fairly unusual name for my generation, as a matter of fact. Though I was named after my great grandfather - both my first and middle names - and I never minded being teased about it. I guess if it's explained to the child why they're named what they are, they may be able to be proud enough of it that they won't care.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
Corinthian
Banned

Meh. I narrowly dodged being named Nebuchadnezzar. Which wouldn't have been so bad, actually - nobody would ever forget it.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Meh. I narrowly dodged being named Nebuchadnezzar. Which wouldn't have been so bad, actually - nobody would ever forget it.
I have a feeling most people would probly have called you "Neb" or "Ned" or "geezer".

@JCarter, yeah, Kenobi is a name that I wouldn't mind being named or naming someone. It's obviously Star Wars, but it's still cool, if these were the 80's, Lando might fly too.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Here's a concept Shakespeare taught indirectly through Romeo & Juliet: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Names are not what define a person or thing; It is their actions that define who/what they are.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
Corinthian
Banned

Yeah, tell that to the guy named Bridget.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferc Kast
Names are not what define a person or thing; It is their actions that define who/what they are.
I wish that was true but that may differ in the eyes of others...unless you are calling to rescue your cat from a tree, I doubt you would call "Superman Jones" as your first choice when using a directory (makes a rather laughable first impression)...

Here, in Quebec, Canada (it is a matter of Provincial jurisdiction and thus, can differ from a Canadian province to another) the registrar of civil status has the power to refuse a name if it is deemed to be ridiculous or infamous...however, it is subject to judicial review and normally only succeeds in somewhat extreme cases (I believe that Anakin or Leia wouldn't really be a problem but "1aml33t" would likely be one ). However, I wish parents would think of the child's interests first rather than brag about their own sense of creativity or using their favorite movie character's name...
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
Talking of silly names... Check the felon/Driver's name on this news report lol, I think Mr and Mrs Butler enjoyed a certain film in 1980 lol...

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...NEWS05/80208042
Whoa! Some people just seem to be a little bit weird. I personally don't think that I have a wacky name. Simply, Daniel.

Someone who wants to name their child 4real...has a...creative mind. Hey it is there life, and I guess that they can name their child anything that they want to. Beware a life of bullying though.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #20
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine
Didn't Nicholas Cage name his son Kal-El? after Superman?
Somehow I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
It's obviously Star Wars, but it's still cool, if these were the 80's, Lando might fly too.
As long as it's not "Lando Jones".

Oh, and I didn't mention this before. My initials are BBB. Yes, very unfortunate. But it hasn't seriously impacted my life.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
My name invites references to rice vermicelli and fish that has been macerated, processed then shaped into balls! >.> Silly Chinese who can make puns out of everything.

I do wish that peoplle would use some common sense though.

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #22
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
you mean silly chinese and their love of short, "manny-meaning" words

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon
I do wish that peoplle would use some common sense though.
Worry not, my dear Hymenoptera. Most of us are too dumb to come up with any clever jokes based on your (real) name.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Worry not, my dear Hymenoptera. Most of us are too dumb to come up with any clever jokes based on your (real) name.
Yes...the key word here is "clever" jokes. I'm sure more than enough of us can come up with a lot of really stupid and bad jokes.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #25
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I can't really see how adults can honestly judge someone based on their name, but a ****tarded name can have a negative impact on a childhood that can leave scars for life. I guess it builds character, non?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Apple. Worst. Name. Ever.
My French teacher named her newborn daughter Berlin Coco.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
Frankie.In.Like
Lurker

Location: The place where it blizzards one day and is 90 degrees the next! =D
Hehe, I gotta say I've heard of some pretty funny names in this thread *giggles insanely at 'Kal-El'* But, to stay on topic, I think the problem with some people is that they let their names define them, and they become self-conscious. My sister was named Harrynella (*gags* Unfortunately my dad's name was Harry and he wanted his firstborn named after him - he didn't realize his firstborn may be a girl xD) and she hated it (though I gotta say I would, too).

She became so set on not being known as a girl with a guy name (and 'nella' added to the end x3) that she turned extremely girly and... annoying, even though that's not how she really was (she was actually a tomboy, nerdy kind of kid).

Anyways, I think that there are many people who would balk at anyone named a strange, or violent-sounding name *giggles at the idea of Anakin*. But there are also a lot of people (me included ^^) who would freak out and have a happy seizure if someone were named after any kind of character (not just Star Wars or LotR).

I also loooove meeting people with strange names. I once met a girl named Shakondola. The ghetto-est name I've ever heard, I think. Even though I love strange names, though, I've never name one of my kids anything like that xD

*stares at long reply and faints* x.x

Frankie we realise you are new, but we have had to change you sig pic to a link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
Frankie.In.Like is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #27
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Luckly enough I have managed to avoid being given an annoying name, because my last name is Wedge, you can imagine what I could have been called for example Sam Wedge (Sandwich).

An interesting fact that when my Mum was married to my Dad (they are now divorced) she was Sue Wedge, I always wondered why she always went by Susan then.

Supposably my Grandad said to her that her name would be Sueage right before she got married.

Though a downside of my surname is that myself and my (twin) brother went through school known either as Wedge or Wedgie, even our P.E. teacher refered to us as Wedgie probably because he didn't wan't to look stupid if he said the wrong name, and he heard one of our friends call us by it.

On another note when I was working in a hospital dealing with patient records I noticed a patient with the first name Olive who married a Mr Branch, I also saw a Rainbow there somewhere.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > I name thee....