lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Atris Question [spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Atris Question [spoilers]

I'm a little confused about Atris' storyline... When Kreia confronts her and convinces her that she has turned to the dark side, Kreia names her Darth Traya, right? Or am I just remembering that wrong?

But then Kreia is Darth Traya at the end, right? Or am I remembering that wrong too? Why did Kreia give both Atris and herself the same dark side name?

Also, I felt like part of the scene glitched out after I defeated Atris/Traya... I just didn't really get that part of the story. Did she turn to the dark side over time because of the Sith holocrons? Also, I redeemed her, but I didn't get any indication of what she'd be doing after I left. She was still a Jedi, after all. I really feel like I'm missing something about this.

Lastly, was Atris in love with The Exile at any point in time? What was her relation to him before he left to follow Revan?
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well the Exile is a she, so the speculation on the non-canon male Exile is just that. As far as 'Darth Traya' is concerned, I believe you were originally meant to fight Atris (now Darth Traya) on Malachor V instead of Kreia... but things changed apparently.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Atris

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Ah - thanks. The wiki was helpful, especially this line:

Additionally, Kreia says this to Atris: "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn." This can be taken as Kreia giving the title of Darth Traya to Atris, who betrays the Handmaidens, the Exile, and the Republic, after having been betrayed by the Exile when she left to join the Mandalorian Wars.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
JCarter426

Once you beat Atris, if you talk to her and ask her where Kreia is, Atris will say that she now realizes that Kreia had tricked her, in other words, that she is not really the true Darth Traya.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Once you beat Atris, if you talk to her and ask her where Kreia is, Atris will say that she now realizes that Kreia had tricked her, in other words, that she is not really the true Darth Traya.
That definitely ties things together; I must have just missed it while I was playing. I did play through the entire game in 4 days, so it was a lot of story to take in all things considered. It took me over 57 hours... yikes.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Jolly Boots
Rookie

It's very difficult to get the whole story and understand it all in one play through. After maybe five you understand it fully.
Jolly Boots is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Boots
It's very difficult to get the whole story and understand it all in one play through. After maybe five you understand it fully.
Agreed, and if I could, I would definitely play it through 5 times. However, since I don't have that option, I'm attempting to absorb as much of it as possible with 1 play through. I've been all over Wookieepedia and these message boards trying to fill in the missing gaps.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
I'm a little confused about Atris' storyline... When Kreia confronts her and convinces her that she has turned to the dark side, Kreia names her Darth Traya, right? Or am I just remembering that wrong?

But then Kreia is Darth Traya at the end, right? Or am I remembering that wrong too? Why did Kreia give both Atris and herself the same dark side name?

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
It's already been said, but Atris was originally intended to be Darth Traya, and even the Official KOTOR II strategy guide lists the boss fight with her wearing the black cloak and everything, which was apparently cut for time constraints and story issues. I don't think I've come across anything stating that Atris was supposed to be the one you fought on Malachor V, as cut content from the game shows Kreia and Sion dealing with Atton, Mira, the crew, etc.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
JCarter426

Atris being Darth Traya was but one ending. That's where that dialogue that Shem posted comes in. I believe this was to be said by Kreia upon Atris' death.

However, I believe that Atris being Darth Traya was cut far sooner than we believe. There's some evidence that Brianna was originally a light side only character, with Visas being DS only; in this plan, the player would fight Nihilus if Visas was in the party, and Atris if Brianna was in the party. My theory is that Atris would become Traya if the player faced Nihilus instead. But this is only speculation on my part.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #12
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
That's what I've seen too whenever I've looked up the cut content on Wookiepedia or etc. It sucks that Obsidian left so much out of the game due to time constraints. I wouldn't have minded sitting through a KOTOR II pushback, so long as it meant a better experience.

Last edited by Blix; 04-23-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
iPsyke
Lurker

Somehow it makes me feel for the complete KOTOR2 before the KOTOR3 should arrive.

To get all things right. And not-buggy..
iPsyke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Lord Foley

Off topic, but what is the PC wearing in the picture Shem posted?

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley
Off topic, but what is the PC wearing in the picture Shem posted?
The PC is wearing what are 'Darth Atris' robes, you can't get them in the vanilla game, they were however left in the game files, so it would have been a Mod to give the PC them as clothes.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Melly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7
The PC is wearing what are 'Darth Atris' robes, you can't get them in the vanilla game, they were however left in the game files, so it would have been a Mod to give the PC them as clothes.
I still think those robes look like the clothes on the evil queen from Snow White.

"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
Lord Foley

Oh my god... they do....

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Sharrak
That's what I've seen too whenever I've looked up the cut content on Wookiepedia or etc. It sucks that Obsidian left so much out of the game due to time constraints.
Eh...stuff like this gets cut all the time in games. I don't think Atris being Traya was cut due to time restraints, but rather they decided on taking the story into another direction.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I've never even heard of any evidence that Atris being Traya at the very end was their original intent, rather than an alternate event.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
JCarter426

Isn't that what I said?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #21
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Isn't that what I said?
Not really. You said it was one of the scenarios. TKA said it was the only one.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
JCarter426

But TKA said it wasn't the only one...

I'm confused.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I'm confused also. I've heard people say that Atris being Traya originally could happen (due to an unknown set of possible occurances in the game), and I've heard other people say that originally she would be Traya (regardless of any occurances).

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
JCarter426

Oh, I think I understand now. My theory is that Atris was the only Darth Traya at one point, but for some reason the voice actress (I believe her name is Elizabeth Rider) couldn't do as many lines as they wanted (or something), so they hired Sara Kestelman to do the voice of Kreia, but kept Atris as one possible Traya. And then they just said the hell with it and made Kreia the only Traya. That's just my theory, though.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #25
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'm not sure I follow you, JC. You're saying that Atris VA was meant to have voiced Kreia? Or is it the other way around? And what does that have to do with anything?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #26
Melly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del View Post
I'm not sure I follow you, JC. You're saying that Atris VA was meant to have voiced Kreia? Or is it the other way around? And what does that have to do with anything?
Atris at one point was to have said some of the lines that Kreia has now, because originally Atris was to have joined the Exile's group but that pathway was abandoned. I think the lines that Elizabeth Rider/Atris did voice (that are now voiced by Sarah Kestelman/Kreia in the final game) are still in the sound files.

"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #27
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del View Post
I think Kreia replaced Atris completely. There's evidence that Atris was originally meant to be a party member (portrait and everything...but no DS transitions, like Kreia), and there are voiceovers for an Atris Traya. My theory is that things didn't work out with Ms Rider, so they had to downgrade Atris to a lesser role, replacing Atris the party member with Kreia. There are some dialogue voiceovers for Kreia suggesting that she would become Traya upon Atris' death, meaning Obsidian still planned for an Atris Traya possibility. But clearly they dropped that idea at some point.

Hope that clears things up.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #28
Burnseyy
Forumite

I thought kreia was darth traya :S
and atris is just atris.
Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
That is correct.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #30
DAWUSS

Considering that Atris was also able to be a PC at one point, considering she has her own profile icon, there was probably the possibility of Atris vs. Kreia, Exile vs. Atris, and Exile vs. Kreia on Malachor V
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Atris Question [spoilers]