lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Bastila Shan 25 64.10%
Mission Vao 5 12.82%
Fem Revan 2 5.13%
Juhani 3 7.69%
Yuthura Ban 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Favorite K1 Girls
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #41
Burnseyy
Forumite
 
Burnseyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 534
i voted mission becauuuse
a) she's blue. i mean, c'mon - you all remember that legendary song that went like 'i'm blue daba de daba diii' x)

and b) she has THE best insults.

(Y)
Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #42
HK-52
Rookie
 
HK-52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost in Mustafar
Posts: 173
Juhani, she is wild and strong, and with a little mod to change her face she's perfect


Apology: Please sorry me for my grammar and my spelling, my translating protocols are obsolete.
(My motherlanguaje is spanish) (Mi idioma natal es el espaņol [castellano])

Kotor: Revenge of Revan MOD site: http://kotorrevengeofrevan.wetpaint.com/
KotOR: Revenge of Revan Thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=186405&page=1
HK-52 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #43
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 962
Ah, yes, but Bastila does not need any mods to change her face...


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #44
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Hmm...let's see...

I hate Juhani. I hate Yuthura for pretty much the same reason(s). And mission's a bratty little girl.

So it's a tie between Bastila and Fem!Revan.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #45
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Hmm...let's see...
I hate Juhani. I hate Yuthura for pretty much the same reason(s). And mission's a bratty little girl.
Do we get to know why? Or do we have to guess?

And of course Mission's bratty, she's a teenager.


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #46
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
Do we get to know why?
Nope.

Quote:
Or do we have to guess?
Yup.

Quote:
And of course Mission's bratty, she's a teenager.
Hey, at least you got that one.

Ok...hmm...why do I hate Juhani...? Well, the character was severely underdeveloped (and rather cliched, of course), and it doesn't really make a difference whether you kill her on Dantooine or not.

Yuthura, same as above, only replace "Dantooine" with "Korriban". Yuthura was actually slightly more developed than Juhani...but it doesn't make a difference because she's so dull and pointless. Oh, and it's much easier and worth more in terms of items and XP to kill her.

Happy now?


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #47
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Ok...hmm...why do I hate Juhani...? Well, the character was severely underdeveloped (and rather cliched, of course), and it doesn't really make a difference whether you kill her on Dantooine or not.
You think she's underdeveloped? Why? I thought she was one of the best developed characters in the game. Not to mention she has the most to say about each planet you visit, even though they were cut.

Quote:
Yuthura, same as above, only replace "Dantooine" with "Korriban". Yuthura was actually slightly more developed than Juhani...but it doesn't make a difference because she's so dull and pointless. Oh, and it's much easier and worth more in terms of items and XP to kill her.
Did you ever talk to Yuthura on Dantooine after convincing her to leave the Sith and give the Jedi another chance?

Quote:
Happy now?
No.


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #48
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 962
I agree with JCarter that Juhani was underdeveloped as a character. She was just too cliche, and the lack of dynamic development left me wanting as the game progressed. The other characters I found much easier to identify with.

Of course I believe I remember Melly mentioning somewhere before that Bao-Dur was interesting and developed, and I certainly disagree with that too. I like Bao-Dur, but just couldn't get too interested in his story since he didn't provide me with much of one. So perhaps it's just a matter of disagreement on how characters should be developed as opposed to which characters were developed more.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #49
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
You think she's underdeveloped? Why? I thought she was one of the best developed characters in the game. Not to mention she has the most to say about each planet you visit, even though they were cut.
Yeah, they were cut. And those were the only times she said anything (no banter, and a lot of her other lines were cut too). And I still say she was underdeveloped, but to each his/her own.

My problem with Juhani, as I said above, was that she was rather cliched, just your typical crazed woman who fell to the dark side in the beat of an eye and could be redeemed just as quickly. Other than that, there was nothing there. No personality, no character development (since it all happened way back on Dantooine, if you let her live...or again, just as quickly, when Xor shows up; nothing in between), and a lot of history that wasn't all that interesting, since I didn't care whether she lived or died in the present, much less the past. "Hey, I asked for your name, not your life story!"

Quote:
Did you ever talk to Yuthura on Dantooine after convincing her to leave the Sith and give the Jedi another chance?
Nope, Dantooine had been long bombed, so Yuthura just disappeared. Not Yuthura's fault, I guess. But even so, it doesn't really matter if your only reward was some extra dialogue. You don't even get that with Juhani, though.

Quote:
No.
Good.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #50
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Well, I did have a nice post all typed up but the forums ate it, must be the Darth Nihilus of forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Yeah, they were cut. And those were the only times she said anything (no banter, and a lot of her other lines were cut too). And I still say she was underdeveloped, but to each his/her own.
That's because at one time, she was cut entirely from the game, (or so I've heard) under the pretense that she was "too much content for female character vs. male characters" they can't fool me it was because she's a lesbian. But cutting her out left problems in the plot so she was put back in the half-arsed way we see now, with her romance gutted and difficult to trigger (what is there can be triggered though, with some effort and careful timing).

I will say that I used to hate Juhani, until I actually listened to what she had to say. Then my hate turned to empathy.

Quote:
My problem with Juhani, as I said above, was that she was rather cliched, just your typical crazed woman who fell to the dark side in the beat of an eye and could be redeemed just as quickly.
I would have to say that she was easy to redeem in the first place because she wanted to be, but was afraid to go back for fear of being punished. Anyway, what I loved about her, and Yuthura if you talk to her on Dantooine, is that they show that coming back to the light and staying there isn't easy. That's one of the things that's always annoyed me about Bastila's storyline is that you never got to talk to her post redemption.

Quote:
"Hey, I asked for your name, not your life story!"
Actually, you did ask for her life story.

Quote:
Good.
They're right, you really are Darth Carterious aren't you?

Gurges-Ahter, I'm a raving Bao fangirl, we're a crazy lot and you can't talk sense into us. I guess I just see more than most in Bao, maybe because I drag him everywhere with me. Besides he has the best line in the entire game IMHO, the one in my sig.


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #51
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 962
I can understand that, Melly. I'm a huge Visas fanboy despite everyone else saying she's pointless and/or underdeveloped. And for the record, I don't dislike Bao-Dur; I just wanted more from his character.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 04:26 AM   #52
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
Well, I did have a nice post all typed up but the forums ate it, must be the Darth Nihilus of forums.
Same here! (other topic) Grr...

Quote:
That's because at one time, she was cut entirely from the game, (or so I've heard) under the pretense that she was "too much content for female character vs. male characters" they can't fool me it was because she's a lesbian. But cutting her out left problems in the plot so she was put back in the half-arsed way we see now, with her romance gutted and difficult to trigger (what is there can be triggered though, with some effort and careful timing).
Hmm...I don't think she was cut from the game.= at any point. They had in mind a Cathar Jedi character from the start (named Bastila Shan, originally ). I get the feeling that she was added in at the last minute, so they didn't have time to give her enough dialogue or make sure that her dialogue actually happens in the game. That, and they probably figured about a third of the players would kill her, so they thought "Meh...forget the catwoman; give the line to Bastila or Jolee".

Quote:
I would have to say that she was easy to redeem in the first place because she wanted to be, but was afraid to go back for fear of being punished.
Eh...not buying it. I'm sure you're right, but what's in the game doesn't really explain it well enough for me. She just goes from full-on DS to full-on LS in an instant. And you can make her go back to DS as well, just buy saying a few words. If they'd drawn it out, more like the redemptions/corruptions in K2, maybe then I could buy it (though K2 had its flaws in this area as well; case in point Visas' rapid redemption and Bao-Dur's swift seduction).

If I had been in charge (which is a recurrent fantasy of mine ), I would have introduced Juhani on Taris, as a slave, and show it to the player instead of just having them hear stories about it. Over time she could slowly fall to the dark side, until lashing out at the player when they first start their Jedi trials. And of course the player's final test is to go find Juhani and bring her back to the light, at which point they can redeem her or kill her. The choice has a whole lot more meaning when you actually know who the character is; right now, she's just some random cat-woman who tried to kill you. I don't like people who try to kill me, not in general. But if that cat-woman were my friend, then I might try my best to save her.

(Side note: I don't really like the notion of the player being able to redeem everyone and their cousin by having a nice chat...but yea, this is a BioWare game we're talking about ).

Quote:
Anyway, what I loved about her, and Yuthura if you talk to her on Dantooine, is that they show that coming back to the light and staying there isn't easy. That's one of the things that's always annoyed me about Bastila's storyline is that you never got to talk to her post redemption.
Yeah, Bastila wasn't properly developed either. Though she makes up for it in other areas, since she's a major character and gets about 5x as many lines as Juhani, allowing for more character development (not enough...but more). In any case, I still say

Quote:
Actually, you did ask for her life story.
Yeah, but she kept on begging me to ask! I just did it so she'd shut up about it.

Quote:
They're right, you really are Darth Carterious aren't you?
Yes.

Quote:
Gurges-Ahter, I'm a raving Bao fangirl, we're a crazy lot and you can't talk sense into us. I guess I just see more than most in Bao, maybe because I drag him everywhere with me. Besides he has the best line in the entire game IMHO, the one in my sig.
Eh...I think Bao-Dur has the same problem: the writers just forgot about him after he joins the party. Bao-Dur does have some really great lines, though. He doesn't talk often...but when he does, he makes his words mean something. Maybe that's what Obsidian was going for...I don't know. I'm more inclined to believe that one of the writers just came up with Bao-Dur on a whim and started throwing stuff in last-minute.

Oh, and for the record, I like Bao more than Juhani. He had a lot more in terms of character development (with all his guilt over Malachor). Though his Jedi training didn't make a bit of sense (light or dark), and was rushed.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #53
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Hmm...I don't think she was cut from the game.= at any point. They had in mind a Cathar Jedi character from the start (named Bastila Shan, originally ). I get the feeling that she was added in at the last minute, so they didn't have time to give her enough dialogue or make sure that her dialogue actually happens in the game. That, and they probably figured about a third of the players would kill her, so they thought "Meh...forget the catwoman; give the line to Bastila or Jolee".
Well, that's just what I've heard on the forums over the years, that she was cut, and then put back in the game in a slap dash way at the last minute. *shrug*

Quote:
Eh...not buying it. I'm sure you're right, but what's in the game doesn't really explain it well enough for me. She just goes from full-on DS to full-on LS in an instant. And you can make her go back to DS as well, just buy saying a few words.
Next time you play, really watch her in the scene in the grove after you beat her down. She's defeated in more than just battle, and trying to convince herself she was evil. She never was really. You may never have heard this, because it's a little difficult to trigger, but she says later: "That I could convince myself that by injuring my master I became a great force of evil in the galaxy. For my pride, my hubris." I think if one of the masters had actually gone out there and talked to her after the incident with the Quatra she would have come back with one of them (as long as it wasn't Vrook ), not just because the PC chatted her up.

Quote:
(Side note: I don't really like the notion of the player being able to redeem everyone and their cousin by having a nice chat...but yea, this is a BioWare game we're talking about ).
Oh, neither do I. I think this is the appeal of the character Valen in HotU to me, in that while he's the romance option in that game, it was the Seer that started him on his path to redemption, not the PC. And the Seer didn't even say anything to him!

Quote:
Yeah, Bastila wasn't properly developed either. Though she makes up for it in other areas, since she's a major character and gets about 5x as many lines as Juhani, allowing for more character development (not enough...but more). In any case, I still say
Juhani IMO is a lot like Bao- a woman of action not words. She even tells you that she had trouble making friends and finds the ease in which you accept her (if you do so) to be different than what she's used to. I get the feeling the PC was the only one she ever really talked to on the ship, because of that.

Quote:
Yeah, but she kept on begging me to ask! I just did it so she'd shut up about it.
Did she? The only way she would is if you actually took her with you.

Quote:
He doesn't talk often...but when he does, he makes his words mean something. Maybe that's what Obsidian was going for...I don't know.
I think it was. Bao always struck me as a man of action not words, is the 'strong silent type'. He fit well with my Exile, cause she's kinda the same way.

Quote:
Though his Jedi training didn't make a bit of sense (light or dark), and was rushed.
Why didn't you think his Jedi training made any sense? And it was originally planned for a training sequence in which you taught him lightsaber forms, deflect blaster bolts from Remote, etc, but it was cut probably due to time. *shakes fist at LucasArts**

Anyway, it's late so I hope that made at least some measure sense.


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #54
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Bah! Forum troubles again...not letting me quote anything.

Anyway...hope you all can understand this...

#1: Eh...people on forums tell tales. I've also heard that Yuthura was originally meant to be a party member who joined on Sleheyron (from multiple, individual sources), but this has been debunked by...Mr Gaider, I believe it was; Sleheyron was long cut before Yuthura, and she was never meant to be any more than she was.

#2: Yeah, I've heard that (been a while, but I remember the line about her hubris ). Like I said, you're probably right, but it still feels really sudden and rushed to me.

#3: *looks up, sees references fly by* But I follow. In a way you could compare that situation to the Exile, Atton, and Kreia; which one of them truly redeems Atton? Kreia's the one who makes him face his past, and shows him that the only one who truly held him was Atton. All the Exile can do is get in the way and cause Atton's fall.

#4: Yeah, I'm sure she was all of those...I just wish we'd get to see it in the game, as we do with Bao-Dur (albeit briefly).

[...]

My thoughts as well. Another little annoying oddity about K1 (no one talks to anyone except the PC), but it doesn't show as much here, since Juhani wouldn't talk to anyone. So in a way this is one of Juhani's strong suits. Zaalbar's too (though I have other issues with him...his lack of personality, for instance ).

#5: Hey, a Jedi party member is a Jedi party member.

#6: I'll admit it; the more I play K2, the more I like Bao-dur.

Oh, and a corollary to my theory about how some writer just managed to sneak Bao-dur in...he doesn't even show up in the Dxun cutscene when your whole party gathers. Neither do the droids, oddly enough. Perhaps they were at the HK factory by then...hmm... (wink wink )

#7:

But even so, it just doesn't make sense to me. Especially if you never talked to Brianna about him (how he was the key to saving Telos, how he has a bond with machines, yada yada yada). His Force potential just seems to come out of nowhere (part of me is convinced the devs were trying to say that anyone could learn the ways of the Force). And it was really sudden, too; only three conversations and he's either a Jedi Guardian or some Darth Maul wannabe. I think it was a little rushed, probably because they never had a chance to refine the influence system.

And it's even funnier because the whole training scene was cut; there aren't any voiceovers,so he just stares at you absent-mindedly while you ramble on about the Force.

Hope that made sense.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #55
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
His Force potential just seems to come out of nowhere (part of me is convinced the devs were trying to say that anyone could learn the ways of the Force).
Not really. His affinity for machines and fixing things, that he's so damn good at it, is a sign of Force sensitivity.

As for the rest let's just agree to disagree, otherwise this will just go round and round until I go crazy.


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #56
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
Not really. His affinity for machines and fixing things, that he's so damn good at it, is a sign of Force sensitivity.
Yeah, if you talk to Brianna it's a bit clearer. But only a bit.

Quote:
As for the rest let's just agree to disagree, otherwise this will just go round and round until I go crazy.
Yeah.

Oh, and the forum problems seem to have been resolved.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Favorite K1 Girls

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.