lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Is more ever enough?
Yes, you can have enough 4 33.33%
No, you can never have enough 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Is more ever enough?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Question Is more ever enough?

I have been talking about this at school in my Language Arts class, and I want to know what you all think.

Is more ever enough?

I think that there are many different types of answers to this question (If that is even possible). There is the technological aspect, physical aspect, ect. Some people live in the middle of no-where in a small house and practically nothing, but live a happy life. While in our 'modern' world, it seems like more can never be enough. Everybody wants to get the newest clothing, cell phones, technology, ect.

So, what do you think?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
When it comes to things that make us live longer, I'd say we can never have enough. As for other things, it's individual. For example, some people love dreaming about/using a new gaget, and to those, it'll never be enough. Others might love the good feeling they get when they work for a charity, not caring what they have, so long as they have the "necessities" of life.

In short, both answers are correct.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Unfortunately I cannot recall the title of the survey or who conducted it, however there was a study published within the last year that showed that people with money were more concerned about acquiring more than those that did not. The rationale was that while lower class people are simply concerned with getting by and the middle class tend to be more concerned about keeping what they have, the upper class feel as though they are in heavy competition with one another. So within this context it would seem that more is never enough.

To the larger theme you've presented; I do think that consumerism is completely out of hand and that one or two Western cultures could probably benefit from some form of a reality check.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Depends on the person, of course.

I voted for the 2nd option though.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I always tend to want things... More money, more games, a 'better' life...

It really just depends on what you want. Humans always have had greed, and jealousy. For me, it's jealousy. But honestly, I think you can have enough. It's that 'jealously, that 'curiousity' that we humans have- a driving force. It is that driving force that gives us the 'need' to have more and become more than we are, even if it's in the corrupt form, greed.

We can have enough. Not all of us want to admit it, but, in the end, you still would never truly have everything. What would always be missing would be mastery over your possessions. We can't let trivial technological things and other possessions 'rule' our lives. The only way you can ever have everything, is realize that you need nothing. I pick option 1, of course.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious View Post
We can't let trivial technological things and other possessions 'rule' our lives. The only way you can ever have everything, is realize that you need nothing.
"The things you own end up owning you"
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
If you look at it from a certain point of view, you can NEVER have enough.

In my Language Arts class, we read, "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. That is how this question originated. If you have read this story, you know that Kino found the "Pearl of the World", and knew that it would change his life. In fact it did. He went to sell it, and the dealers would give him very little money for it. Kino went to the capital to get the story staightened out, but ended up killing someone, in self defense. Trackers were after him, and to sum up the story, the trackers shot Kino's baby in the head, because they thought that they heard the wimper of a coyote. In the end, Kino threw the Pearl back in the ocean.

My point is that Kino wanted to have his 'normal' life back. He wanted more. Even in everyday life, you want more. You want to improve your home, you want an extra scoop of ice cream, ect. However, I think that both answers are correct. It really depends on the situation, and your perspective.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
If there is a limited supply, then there must be a time when one has enough. Taking more than you need is greedy and often wasteful. There is more than enough out there for Americans, but that only comes because we have been spoiled by past practices. If we start living with only basic needs, then we'll start being satisfied with a lot less than we currently have.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
It is all somewhat relative. Sometimes you can have too much, not just more or enough.
I rather doubt that living with only servicing our basic needs is going to make us satisfied. If that were true, most civilizations would stagnate early on in their development. It's kind of funny, but Achilles and the Pope are in basic agreement that consumerism is a big problem in western culture.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Relenzo2
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Achilles and the Pope are in basic agreement that consumerism is a big problem in western culture.
Doesn't seem funny to me. The Pope could use a few more people agreeing with him. By the by, who is this "Achilles"? Not the character from Greek mythos, I take it, with all the talking about Western Culture? Well, technically, then Greece WAS western culture, but.... yeah... anyhow. If you can have enough, than you do. If you can't, you don't. So, think about it! Better yet, play it on a cassette in your sleep over and over and mess up your head!

EDIT: Waiaait a minute. Totenkopf. That's the bad guy from SKY CAPTAIN! Hooray! Calling Sky Captain, come in Sky Captain! Good boy, Benny! (Or whoever it was.)

"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!

Last edited by Relenzo2; 06-12-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Because I felt like it.
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
The word used is 'enough.' One must first define that. Enough to live? Yeah there's more than enough for the entire population indefinitely. Enough to sustain our lifestyles as they are? Not likely.

Because of the nature of humans, then we can never have enough. If we became very rational creatures, then I would say yes. It is POSSIBLE, but not likely.

We must understand that more is preferable to less in almost all retrospects. More means a greater chance of survival, but if one takes too much, it detracts from the whole. If we came to realize that our success comes at another's failure, then we would see that there is a point when taking too much is hurtful... we just don't see outside ourselves.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relenzo2 View Post
By the by, who is this "Achilles"?
Actually, Achilles is our rabid "atheist in chief" in LF.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relenzo2
Check out post number 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura
If there is a limited supply, then there must be a time when one has enough. Taking more than you need is greedy and often wasteful. There is more than enough out there for Americans, but that only comes because we have been spoiled by past practices. If we start living with only basic needs, then we'll start being satisfied with a lot less than we currently have.
Yes this is true, but as Totenkopf pointed out, many wouldn't be satisfied with that lifestyle. After being 'exposed' to the way things are now, that would be a very hard thing to do...

Old 06-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relenzo2 View Post
Read any single thread in this forum (and most in the JK Senate Chambers.)

He shouldn't be that hard to find

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #15
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
"The things you own end up owning you"
Not if I own them harder.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Is more ever enough?