lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you want TFU for PC?
Yes 63 76.83%
No 19 23.17%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: PC or not
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
Aku
Rookie

Aside from people underestimating the hardware of the consoles, the numbers actually can't be directly comparedto a PC when it comes to gaming since unlike PCs, this hardware is completely dedicated (and in many cases specifically adapted) to the games it runs and that makes it optimized in a whole different way.
That's why PC ports often have bad optimization too ^^
Aku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #42
ParaCore
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
Aside from people underestimating the hardware of the consoles, the numbers actually can't be directly comparedto a PC when it comes to gaming since unlike PCs, this hardware is completely dedicated (and in many cases specifically adapted) to the games it runs and that makes it optimized in a whole different way.
That's why PC ports often have bad optimization too ^^

Yea, I honestly have no problem with consoles - I just dislike the fact that in order to get an Xbox 360, I will need:
1) Get the unit itself, $300 or so.
2) Probably will need to be wireless, in which case, from what I know I have to get some special wireless adapter for it (More money...)
3) My TV probably isnt even worth using really, so I would want to hook it up to my monitor which probably wouldnt work since its 16:10 - even though it has HDMI. So I would either have to use an older TV or buy a new one (Eventually).
4) In order to play online I need that Xbox Live Gold crap, afaik, which is more money... granted, not much, but I can easily play PC games online with what we pay for internet now, and I can do much much more to boot.

I don't know, I just feel like they are trying to milk everyone for money with alot of this stuff, which I don't like. And lately mostly every PC game coming out that I can see, aside from a few basically suck (At least, the games type I like to play), and the only ones that test my graphics card is Crysis...

The xbox360 looks to be worth it (So does the PS3, honestly - and they aren't going to crap bricks if you stick Linux on it...), but there just isnt the money to spend on it all right now.
ParaCore is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #43
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Check it out...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008...-coming-to-pc/

Quote:
“It’s just been released last week on the internet, the Force Unleashed demo on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. We have a PC version as well.”
Big fat rumour...but I think it's plausible. The game scored 7's and 8's at best, opposing the possible 9's and 10's they were aiming for. I suppose a PC version would at least sell them some more copies then the cold hard review numbers did.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #44
Aku
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaCore View Post
Probably will need to be wireless, in which case, from what I know I have to get some special wireless adapter for it (More money...)
Indeed. I got mine with a bundle.
Quote:
My TV probably isnt even worth using really, so I would want to hook it up to my monitor which probably wouldnt work since its 16:10 - even though it has HDMI. So I would either have to use an older TV or buy a new one (Eventually).
You said you run on 1680x1050, right? That would make it the same as mine. Worry not, it runs like a charm and looks great, even more so if you have HDMI (I have an old 360 so mine lacks HDMI ports completely)
Quote:
In order to play online I need that Xbox Live Gold crap, afaik, which is more money... granted, not much, but I can easily play PC games online with what we pay for internet now, and I can do much much more to boot.
Yeah, that's the biggest downside.
On the other hand, the 360 has a superior online service compared to that of PS3 or Wii and if you're starting out with TFU, then you won't have a need of online play. You still get access to the online service without paying and you get one month of free online at first.
The chances of them making Xbox Live Gold free are huge though. It is probable that it is going to happen soon enough.

A console doesn't require periodic upgrades though (that whole techno-babble regarding optimization means there'll be more and more advanced games coming out regardless) so it'll basically be good for its entire lifetime (which is likely to be at least three to five more years for the current gen consoles.)
In that sense, it's way cheaper than a PC xD
And yes, I agree that consoles are getting all the cool titles right now. Fortunately, many of them are multi-platform ^^
Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #45
Yoda31
Lurker

I agree they should release a PC version for the game...Regardless of what there true motive is and i understand AKU what you meant but most PCs out there are powerful enough to have a decent version of the game......and put enough of the new tech to make it work....so to me it sounds like an excuse not to do....Hopefully they will change there minds...

I vote yes to PC
Yoda31 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #46
Uranium - 235

This is pathetic.

Their 'reason' for not coming to the PC has absolutely no substance at all to it - only someone utterly unfamiliar with PCs would accept that. Frankly, I think it's because they themselves don't understand PC gaming, and perhaps knew that we would despise the dumbed-down game they've presented.

Console hardware *IS* inferior to PC hardware. I played the demo on the PS3 - which should pretty much be the 'best' version of the game. There was absolutely NOTHING there that hasn't been done on PCs in the last two years +. You would *not* need a "$4000 computer" to play this.

In fact, you can run Crysis rather handsomly on a $700 PC. They're trying to insist that their crappy physics (that is *NOT* present everywhere, and is hardly noticeable overall) would melt that rig, that their game is better looking than Crysis.

No, that's an outright lie.

Performance reasons is NOT the real reason. Why don't you tell us the truth?
Uranium - 235 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #47
Aku
Rookie

I know quite a bit about both console and PC hardware.

What you don't seem to realize is that simulation technologies are advanced.
All games everywhere cheat. They find ways to fake realism.

The physics in Crysis are a joke. Every object is by default hovering in the air until an external force affects them so in other words, their destructible shacks are glorified cardhouses. That's the kind of faking games use to not strain hardware because while simply recreating reality would be an easy task, it is too heavy on hardware to be feasible.

If you break a tree in Crysis, it just splits into two pre-fabricated parts. If you break a tree in The Force Unleashed, it actually calculates how these parts would look and behave in real-time. It is dynamically generated.

With both AI and physics generated on the spot in this manner, it's obvious that the hardware requirements are unusually high. The problem here doesn't lie with GPU as you seem to be claiming (Crysis is way heavier on graphics than it is on CPU requirement and the only real CPU drain comes from the provenly bad physics system) but with CPU.
They never said ot looks better than Crysis, they only said it is heavier on hardware. I refer you to my previous long post regarding the difficulty of optimization for PC games ^^

Plus there's the wide audience issue.

(Oh and do note that I do like Crysis a lot. I'm not bashing it, I'm just pointing out that the physics in it are below average in quality)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #48
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Correct, first game to use REAL physics is Red Faction: Guerilla. Check it out if you want too. All game journalists have pointed out it's the only real thing out there.

Even Battlefield Bad company cheated. She smoke was simply a coverup to replace the textures with damaged textures.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #49
Aku
Rookie

Yeah, I looked more closely at Red Faction: Guerilla. From what I can see, they've made tons of pre-broken parts that everything can be replaced with.
It is, yet again, cheating. It's just done all the way through making it appear much better.
Even DMM cheats, the trick is just to cheat really well when it comes to these things.
Red Faction: Guerilla is probably the most convincing one out there at the moment though ^^
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #50
ParaCore
Lurker

Quote:
Indeed. I got mine with a bundle.

You said you run on 1680x1050, right? That would make it the same as mine. Worry not, it runs like a charm and looks great, even more so if you have HDMI (I have an old 360 so mine lacks HDMI ports completely)

Aye, I think all of the $300 Xbox 360s have HDMI now, so that probably wont be too much of a problem. My monitor is a 16:10 1680x1050 monitor. So that will work fine with an Xbox360? Thought the Xbox360 ran at the same res that made Merc 2 look odd to people on monitors like this?

Quote:
Yeah, that's the biggest downside.
On the other hand, the 360 has a superior online service compared to that of PS3 or Wii and if you're starting out with TFU, then you won't have a need of online play. You still get access to the online service without paying and you get one month of free online at first.
The chances of them making Xbox Live Gold free are huge though. It is probable that it is going to happen soon enough.
Yea, I plan on getting probably TFU, GTA IV and Merc 2, probably crackdown too sometime. Ill probably want GTA IV and Merc 2 for PC, if they run ok, just for the chance that I can mod them - if I can't though I probably wont get them for PC.

Quote:
A console doesn't require periodic upgrades though (that whole techno-babble regarding optimization means there'll be more and more advanced games coming out regardless) so it'll basically be good for its entire lifetime (which is likely to be at least three to five more years for the current gen consoles.)
In that sense, it's way cheaper than a PC xD
And yes, I agree that consoles are getting all the cool titles right now. Fortunately, many of them are multi-platform ^^
Yea, I do actually know what your talking about with the "techno-babble" I just never looked into the fact that the Xbox 360 had that much processing power.

On the same note though, the PC can do more, just not as good, as we have noted, since there are so many hardware variations and its trying to do so many things.

Personally ill probably be upgrading this to a quad core some time.

@Crysis physics stuff:

Yea, I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this the other day, pointing out how the physics were faked in areas. I actually referred to the shacks as houses of cards too, lol. While faked, I still love blowing them up with modded weapons, and you can't beat that C++ SDK (Yay for punching AI through shacks at like 500MPH).

I still think its entirely possible to run this game on PC, it is just a matter of how good of a PC. If they could use CUDA (Or the ATI Equivalent) to run the physics (Or some of them), then im sure it would run on my PC - but then we get into the issue of how much are they willing to spend and lose to do this, both money and time wise. Not everyone has a graphics card that can take advantage of CUDA.
ParaCore is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #51
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Big fat rumour...but I think it's plausible. The game scored 7's and 8's at best, opposing the possible 9's and 10's they were aiming for. I suppose a PC version would at least sell them some more copies then the cold hard review numbers did.
A misunderstanding it is, so no PC version on the way. Oh well, the game's scores aren't that good anyway.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #52
Jacob Nion
Rookie

If they did do it for the PC I wonder could they use DMM technolgy?

Jacob Nion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #53
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Probably, Medal Of Honor: Airborne had a couple physics engines running in the game, like Ragdoll Physics, the other engine's very cool, you ever see a game where there's a puddle on the ground and it doesn't look "wet" this engine makes it where it does, it's a killer on the video card though..

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #54
Uranium - 235

Quote:
If you break a tree in Crysis, it just splits into two pre-fabricated parts. If you break a tree in The Force Unleashed, it actually calculates how these parts would look and behave in real-time. It is dynamically generated.
Is that why whenever I throw my lightsaber at a crate, it always splits down the middle into the same halves, no matter where my lightsaber hit it? Is that why only the prefabricated **** glued to the walls was interactive, and even a simple railing was utterly invincible to my onslaught?

There was nothing in the PS3 demo that revealed anything even remotely close to what you described. Furthermore, this still doesn't justify the '$4000 PC' BS. What exactly is in this fictional PC they're describing? Nvidia already has its physics front covered, and quad-core processors are a dime a dozen, yet few games come close to utilizing them.

What was 'DMM' used for in the demo? Using force push on doors, throwing stormtroopers, and the 3 different styles of boxes that littered the place. Sometimes they were glued to walls, but mostly they were just lying around.

Finally, who cares if it's cheating if it's unnoticeable? It's also cheating when I don't render things that the player can't see. Does that mean there's something to be gained by rendering the entire level at the same time, irrespective of the player's position?

Quote:
Why would a PC be able to handle better gameplay? Why is there gameplay that only a PC could handle?
Maybe you never noticed, but console games are by and large made to appeal to morons. You could get away with a niche 'intelligent' game on the PC and sell well, whereas you couldn't do that on consoles.

Quote:
Since the game is designed around the use of these technologies to the extent they are used, any watering down would be easily spotted. Just imagine if force pushing open the doors would look exactly the same no matter what direction you push from. Anyone who has read about the game would notice that it had been removed.
Same with Euphoria. If they were to remove it, it'd be clear as day that they had as soon as you'd start using Force Grip.
If they only were to remove certain things from these technologies, they would probably appear unfinished or glitchy at times and that would, again, make people complain.
This was so profoundly stupid I don't even know how to respond to it. Let's not make a game because pointless visual flair might have to be reduced optionally, and people might notice, and complain that higher spec machines can enable these optional features?

When has that ever occurred in the history of gaming, ever?

What, you don't think Xbox tards are going to cry because the PS3 version looks better too?

If anything, that speaks of how moronic the developers are, that they seemed to have plans to utterly exclude an 'OPTIONS' screen from the PC version.

Last edited by Uranium - 235; 09-10-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Uranium - 235 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #55
Aku
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
Is that why whenever I throw my lightsaber at a crate, it always splits down the middle into the same halves, no matter where my lightsaber hit it? Is that why only the prefabricated **** glued to the walls was interactive, and even a simple railing was utterly invincible to my onslaught?

Yet if you look at any video showing the Kashyyk level, you'll see that all levels aren't like that. In fact, I'd wager the Kashyyk levels in the game are the heaviest ones.

Quote:
There was nothing in the PS3 demo that revealed anything even remotely close to what you described. Furthermore, this still doesn't justify the '$4000 PC' BS. What exactly is in this fictional PC they're describing? Nvidia already has its physics front covered, and quad-core processors are a dime a dozen, yet few games come close to utilizing them.

What was 'DMM' used for in the demo? Using force push on doors, throwing stormtroopers, and the 3 different styles of boxes that littered the place. Sometimes they were glued to walls, but mostly they were just lying around.
Yes, it was only used at doors. Again, not all levels are like that. The Felucia levels, for example, are full of organic life that DMM helps behave realistically.

Quote:
Finally, who cares if it's cheating if it's unnoticeable? It's also cheating when I don't render things that the player can't see. Does that mean there's something to be gained by rendering the entire level at the same time, irrespective of the player's position?
Oh but you completely miss my point.
I'm not saying this cheating is bad. The problem is that cheating yet still making it look believable is hard. DMM is new technology so I can guarantee that it isn't perfected, neither is Euphoria.

Quote:
Maybe you never noticed, but console games are by and large made to appeal to morons. You could get away with a niche 'intelligent' game on the PC and sell well, whereas you couldn't do that on consoles.
Ouch! What made console gamers the target of such elitist outbursts?

Quote:
This was so profoundly stupid I don't even know how to respond to it. Let's not make a game because pointless visual flair might have to be reduced optionally, and people might notice, and complain that higher spec machines can enable these optional features?

When has that ever occurred in the history of gaming, ever?

What, you don't think Xbox tards are going to cry because the PS3 version looks better too?
Again you miss the point. Do you seriously think it would help sales if the game they deliver looks worse than its console counterparts? The truth of the matter is that there are a lot of people who assume the PC version should always be superior in all technical aspects.

As a developer, making a game that only appeals to a more limited audience (in this case owners of high-end systems) instead of a wide audience is a bad choice and is more likely to alienate potential buyers. That would be a big risk factor, as you don't exactly want to waste money.
They said the reason was that they wouldn't be able to appeal to a wide audience and it's a very valid reason.

In case you didn't notice, the extreme force powers is the whole friggin' point of this game. The main features.

Quote:
If anything, that speaks of how moronic the developers are, that they seemed to have plans to utterly exclude an 'OPTIONS' screen from the PC version.
TONS and TONS of work to give you that options screen.
How do you imagine Euphoria and DMM settings could just be "lowered"?
It's not like they automatically have a variable they can just change that makes it "weaker" or anything.
If you think they do, then perhaps you should go learn anything about serious programming =)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #56
guz2221
Lurker

OF COURSE YES!!
This game is awsome and deserves to be in the pc! don't care if it is a PORT OR NOT!!!!

CAN SOMEONE MAIL MICROSOFT TO MAKE THEM AN OFFER FOR GAMESFORWINDOWS ?
guz2221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #57
assassing3
Rookie

do i want it for pc Yes
But only if they lock it so good that it cant be pirated
i saw how much money spore lost to torrents and i dont want the force unleashed to go through that but lets face it it would be nice
assassing3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #58
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassing3 View Post
do i want it for pc Yes
But only if they lock it so good that it cant be pirated
Three installs lock? Monthly internet checks? Thanks but no thanks.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #59
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Three installs lock? Monthly internet checks? Thanks but no thanks.
Don't forget the insidious programs publishers tend to include nowadays.

It'd be better to just burn the money and wipe the hard drive yourself in that case.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #60
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
I voted yes. To be technical, they wouldn't have to worry about support for "every PC". They could just give certain spec requirements for it on the box, such as they did for KotOR I & II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku
Singleplayer games don't have that luxury as creating new levels is really hard if you're not the actual creators of the game.
Really? Ever heard of the "Rise of the Sith" WIP for KotOR II before?

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #61
Darth Eclipse

Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
Question

I don't care because I have the game for Xbox 360 and I wouldn't get it for PC. If I didn't have a console I would want it to be for PC.
Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #62
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
I voted yes. I think that all games should be PC games, and if you can't afford a decent PC, well, honestly you can't afford to play video games. Spend your money elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > PC or not