lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Banned from Graduation because of Confederate Battle Flag
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
MdKnightR
Senior Member
 
MdKnightR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feeling Hosed By Your Governme
Posts: 1,859
Banned from Graduation because of Confederate Battle Flag

I'm sure this will spark some debate. I personally think that both the kids and the school are in the wrong....and for the same reason. Neither of them seem to have a grasp of its history. But beyond that, is this really something that should prevent a student from graduating from high school if they have met the requirements to walk?


http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...refer=Homepage

Three Bloomington Kennedy seniors were kept from their graduation after bringing Confederate flags to school.

By PATRICE RELERFORD, Star Tribune

Last update: June 4, 2008 - 11:25 PM

Three high school seniors were barred from Bloomington Kennedy High School's graduation ceremony Wednesday night at Target Center because of what the school district called a prank involving Confederate flags.

Rick Kaufman, a spokesman for the Bloomington School District, said three male students brought the flags onto school property Tuesday morning. Kaufman said they were suspended after "carrying and waving" the flags in the parking lot as parents and students arrived at the school.

Bloomington Kennedy senior Kellie Rezac is a friend of the three boys. She helped organize a protest Wednesday against the suspension of Dan Fredin, 18, Justin Thompson, 18 and Joey Snyder, 17.

Rezac said the flags were on the boys' cars and that her friends aren't racists. She said they've flown the Confederate flag before and simply admire the "Southern lifestyle" and TV shows such as "The Dukes of Hazzard." A male character from the popular 1980s show would slide across the hood of a now iconic two-door muscle car featuring a Confederate flag decal.

Fredin said teachers and security guards told the boys to get rid of the flags.

One of them complied and another drove the truck home and returned to school without it.

"They didn't even drive 100 feet into the school parking lot and the teachers and [security guards] came out and said 'remove it from sight,'" Fredin said.

He had arrived separately and had gone into the building before the teachers made the request. Fredin said someone removed the flag from his vehicle on Tuesday without notifying him. "I don't even know where it is now."

Principal Ron Simmons spoke with the boys shortly after the incident and suspended each of them for three days based on the district's anti-discrimination rules. Superintendent Les Fujitake affirmed Simmons' decision Tuesday evening, despite objections from the boys' parents and several students.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Construct
Rookie
 
Construct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rebirthed
Posts: 103
...wow...this...this is one reason why the USA is goin' down I think...
Construct is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
1: nobody other than that kid should have touched his car. If people, be them police or school started removing things from my car without my permission, or any form of notification, be it a flag, a quarter, or my passenger seat, I would probably take legal action against the school.

2: If the students took their flags home then why are they being suspended for it? Their punishment was to remove the flags from campus and return without them. "you brought a Confederate flag to school yesterday, so you're suspended today and banned from graduation." what? On the list of things kids can do that are stupid, this ranks just a little from the bottom. Guns, knives, swords, drugs, "I hate black people!" t-shirts, yeah, I can understand a retroactive suspension, but seriously, In Ojai, the liberal intellectual elite town near Ventura, ca, tons of people had confederate flags. In one of our 4th of July marches, there were more confederate flags than US flags!


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,758
Current Game: KotOR II
Now, kids, this is what comes of flag-worship.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR View Post
But beyond that, is this really something that should prevent a student from graduating from high school if they have met the requirements to walk?
Just to clarify: they are banned from attending the graduation ceremonies, not from graduating.

Now, when I first saw the title, I was going to come in here ranting about how it was 145 bloody years ago and the Civil War wasn't about slavery at all. But then I saw that the students are even dumber than I thought, because they aren't white supremacists or militiamen; rather, they just like to wave Confederate flags for no apparent reason, which led me to the conclusion that whoever suspended them and banned them from graduation is even dumber than the students, is overly sensitive, or has to deal with dumb and/or overly sensitive people to such a degree that they deserve more sympathy than anyone could possibly give.

Also, it seems the school system isn't doing its job right. You'd expect the people of a state that was admitted to the Union just before the start of the war to have a better grasp of history.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Waving the Confederate flag in a southern state is very much an in-your-face racist move. Saying they're waving that flag because they like The Dukes of Hazzard, a show from the 1970's, is a load of crap. If there are rules about the flag in the anti-discrimination rules in that school district and the kids violated that rule, then they get what they deserve. If it's not that clear, then the suspension is overkill.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Waving the Confederate flag in a southern state is very much an in-your-face racist move.
They're not in a southern state; they're in Minnesota. They're so far up north that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what color the flag is.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Idiots.

All of them. They're stupid for bringing the Confederate Flag, and the School's stupid for overreacting. I mean, come on, this is like going into a berserker rage over the sight of a noose.

Sometimes I wonder how I managed to keep any faith in humanity for the past sixteen years.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
They're not in a southern state; they're in Minnesota. They're so far up north that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what color the flag is.
Whoa--totally my mistake. I misread Kennedy as Kentucky. I woke up after about 5 hours of sleep after being up for over 24 due to a family emergency illness so I'm brain-fried today. Sorry about that.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
MdKnightR
Senior Member
 
MdKnightR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feeling Hosed By Your Governme
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Waving the Confederate flag in a southern state is very much an in-your-face racist move.
I see someone has bought into the NAACP propaganda machine. It is not a racist thing to do to wave, fly, or display a Confederate battle flag (or other emblem) in any state, southern or otherwise.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,911
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
No, it's not technically incorrect to do wave the Confederate flag, no. However, it's become a cultural convention in the south to associate the Confederate flag with white supremacy and racism.

It depends on how the flag was used, but I somehow doubt it was because they loved watching the Dukes of Hazzard. I laughed at that one.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR View Post
It is not a racist thing to do to wave, fly, or display a Confederate battle flag (or other emblem) in any state, southern or otherwise.
Neither was the swastika, before the Nazis adopted it.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,758
Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Neither was the swastika, before the Nazis adopted it.
Many would argue that it still isn't - only those used in overtly Nazi cases. The town of Swastika in Canada is a particularly interesting example.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
True; it's all about context. The context here seems to be that the students just associated the flag with the South, not with its other connections.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Idiots.

All of them. They're stupid for bringing the Confederate Flag, and the School's stupid for overreacting. I mean, come on, this is like going into a berserker rage over the sight of a noose.

Sometimes I wonder how I managed to keep any faith in humanity for the past sixteen years.
I disagree. I think that the kids were totally within their rights to do what they did and because they complied with the administrative mandate to remove the flags there should be no punishment. I personally would take action against the district.

_EW_

And no, I'm not racist. I just separate the idea of racism and the tangibility of the Confederate flag a little bit more than others do.



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere
 
jawathehutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,634
Current Game: Deus Ex forever
I dont think what they did was right, just I dont think the school should have any right to stop them unless they were impeading traffic or something.



"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
Chad Dumeer, Deus Ex: "When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
"Es lebe die Freiheit!"(Freedom lives)
Hans Scholl
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
I dont think what they did was right, just I dont think the school should have any right to stop them unless they were impeading traffic or something.
2 Questions:

Why wasn't it right?

And why, if it _wasn't_ right, should the district not been allowed to stop them?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
To me it seems that what these kids did was within their rights. However, I don't think that they should have done this. To me, it shows racism, and all the junk associated with it.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
However, I don't think that they should have done this.
I can agree with this part, at least.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
I don't think the Confederate flag implies racism, the North wasn't exactly a paragon of tolerance either. I think when I see the Confederate flag I mostly think of redneck morons who chant "The South Will Rise Again!" which is completely stupid. I mean, most of America(or, I should say, the Confederate States), where racist against the Irish at the time. Was that a Confederate idea? no, it was pretty much shared by anyone who wasn't Irish.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #21
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
It's not the flag's significance back then that's in question, just like objections about the swastika have nothing to do with Hinduism.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #22
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
It's not the flag's significance back then that's in question, just like objections about the swastika have nothing to do with Hinduism.
For the record... what then, is in question?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
Well, seeing as I myself don't object to it, I couldn't say. But I'm betting it's its (perceived) connection to racism, through white supremacist groups.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #24
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,366
Forum Veteran 
I'd understand if the flag in question was the nazi swastika, but this sort of punishment seems out of place.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Well, seeing as I myself don't object to it, I couldn't say. But I'm betting it's its (perceived) connection to racism, through white supremacist groups.
which is a bit of historical revisionism on the part of political correctness groups.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,628
No arguments there. That's why I said "perceived".


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #27
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Hmm...I think as Jae mentioned before this is really dependent on what the school policies are. It sounds to me like the boys complied with authority figures requests to remove the items from the school campus so I'm not sure I see the problem. I certainly don't think they should have been excluded from the graduation ceremony. I am of the opinion the principal has overreacted in this case.

I'm not going to say that the boys were smart for what they did, but I don't agree with the punishment either.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #28
*Don*
Rookie
 
*Don*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 205
I have to say that some things just don't add up.
Why are they getting banned because they brought in a flag?
Additionally, they cooperated with the school officials so they shouldn't be in trouble. A minor detention might be in order but nothing more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I'd understand if the flag in question was the nazi swastika, but this sort of punishment seems out of place.
Interestingly (though kinda off topic), there used to be kids in my school that had the nazi swastika tatooed to their skin and never got in trouble.
I forget the full details but their parents apparently threatened to sue the school cause they felt it was "freedom of expression" or something.


"Any fool with a d*ck can make a child, but it takes a real man to raise one..."
- Boyz N The Hood
*Don* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #29
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,534
Forum Veteran 
All I see is a flag with red, blue, and white on it. I personally don't see how or why anyone should link the flag with racism (since it is just a freaking flag), but I guess there's something here that went way over my head due to my utter lack of interest in politics or whatever this is about.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #30
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
The Confederate Flag

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #31
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere
 
jawathehutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,634
Current Game: Deus Ex forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
2 Questions:

Why wasn't it right?

And why, if it _wasn't_ right, should the district not been allowed to stop them?

_EW_
Its not right because I'm assuming they did it to be racist or make a scene, not debate the cause of a war thats been long over and done. Just because something isn't right doesn't make it illegal. Its the same as holding a Nazi rally, as long as no laws are broken, I believe they should be allowed to hold it, however that doesn't mean I think the Nazis are correct in their beliefs.

Added: And really, its graduation. Its not like theyre being pushed out of school with no diploma what so ever, at a lot of schools they just give you a blank sheet of paper anyways and then mail you your diploma later.



"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
Chad Dumeer, Deus Ex: "When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
"Es lebe die Freiheit!"(Freedom lives)
Hans Scholl
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #32
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
Its not right because I'm assuming they did it to be racist or make a scene, not debate the cause of a war thats been long over and done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
assuming
Need I say more? You have no basis in saying they were doing it because they were being "racist" or to "make a scene." And now, since your reasoning is flawed, let's examine your conclusion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
Just because something isn't right doesn't make it illegal. Its the same as holding a Nazi rally, as long as no laws are broken, I believe they should be allowed to hold it, however that doesn't mean I think the Nazis are correct in their beliefs.
So if I read your analogy right, you disagree with the racist beliefs that some people who use the flag hold, but not the flag itself? Rightfully so. There shouldn't be an argument with having the flag then. The argument should be with racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
Added: And really, its graduation. Its not like theyre being pushed out of school with no diploma what so ever, at a lot of schools they just give you a blank sheet of paper anyways and then mail you your diploma later.


Maybe not the case with you, but some people put a lot of importance on the graduation ceremony.

It has nothing to do with the actual piece of paper. It's the event.

_EW_

FWIW, you only answered my first question. If I afford you the statement that their actions weren't right, isn't it within the school's right to stop them? I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #33
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I have a Confederate Battle Flag music box that was handmade by my grandfather and painted by my grandmother. I proudly displayed first in my room and then in my apartment for most of my life. Then a few years ago, it suddenly became taboo and after I saw one of my friends was offended by it I removed it to the shadows of my bedroom. It saddens me that a family heirloom could be perceived as being raciest by others. The reason I was proud of it was because my grandparents made it and for no other reason.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #34
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Did you ever explain why you had this music box to your friend?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #35
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I have a Confederate Battle Flag music box that was handmade by my grandfather and painted by my grandmother. I proudly displayed first in my room and then in my apartment for most of my life. Then a few years ago, it suddenly became taboo and after I saw one of my friends was offended by it I removed it to the shadows of my bedroom. It saddens me that a family heirloom could be perceived as being raciest by others. The reason I was proud of it was because my grandparents made it and for no other reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Did you ever explain why you had this music box to your friend?
Good question.

If it were me, I would have tried to explain it to my friend. If they didn't agree, I would have only removed it when they were present.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #36
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,025
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Yes, and he understood. He even said it did not offend him, but you could see it in his eyes at the time. I still don’t think his wife understands. All that matter is we are all still friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
If it were me, I would have tried to explain it to my friend. If they didn't agree, I would have only removed it when they were present.
Have a few African-American, Hispanic and Japanese (not Japanese Americans) friends so it was just easier to move it than to remember to take it out of the living room.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #37
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Well, I have to say that it is good that you explained the story behind your music box. That definately helps.

The thing is that when most people see a confederate flag, they think of racism, and all that comes of it.

EDIT~ I found this video on CNN.

One thing that doesn't make sense was that these guys said that they really like the Dukes of Hazzard, but then describe the Confederate Army?!


Last edited by Rev7; 06-05-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #38
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo
 
Arcesious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 1,876
Current Game: Mass Effect
A lot of people are total nationalists. If I went waltzing through a country hostile to the U.S.A with an American flag, what do you think that government would do to me?

Hoenstly, sometimes, there is a point when extreme patriotism and overreacting cause many problems... I honestly, when I see a confederate flag, do think of racism. That's what it symbolizes, at first thought, to me. But that doesn't mean that I'll go all crazy about it when the people with the flag claim not to be racist. However, if it were the Nazi flag, I'd probably overreact too. A flag is typically a symbol, and that flag is most often associated with racism, even if the person presenting the flag doesn't intend to be making a racist demonstration...

But, before you get on me about this, in my opinion, the teachers overeacted, and I agree that the punishment was ignorant and unneccessary.


Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #39
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,971
To be honest, I've always associated that flag with rural people who own many large guns, have farmer's tans, and can be generally referred to as "good ol' boys." This idea has connotations of racism, yes. Even so, I know someone that have several of these flags and even does Civil War reenactments (Confederate side) and is not racist.

So, while I can understand why some people would say that waving the flag around was a bad idea, I don't think it should be taken as racism on the kids' part unless accompanied with some other identifiably racist action. Let's not assume intent when it can easily be explained by kids being kids, i.e. not thinking things through.

As such, the school probably was wrong to keep them from the graduation ceremonies, but right in telling them to remove the flag immediately (after all, the school clearly was aware of the connotations of the flag even if the students were not).

Now if they were violating some school rule on this subject, then the punishment given is certainly justified, as Jae said previously.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #40
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Have a few African-American, Hispanic and Japanese (not Japanese Americans) friends so it was just easier to move it than to remember to take it out of the living room.
You know, I find this reaction odd. None of these people went through the Civil War, few if any of them experienced life before the 1960's, and fewer of them had any awareness of life during the 70's(ie, they were born in the 70's, so didn't feel it personally). Even newer generation's parents didn't experience racism or the civil war.

So, what I find is interesting is the racism on their part. Seeing the flag makes them assume that you, as a white person, are a racist. Why? Because of the historical revisionism around the Civil War. It's kinda sad really, the Civil War was fought about states rights, and the ability to separate from a country if you felt it was unfair to you. Slavery was a minor issue, and most everyone was racist, so the war certainly wasn't over that.

Japanese(not Japanese Americans) are very racist against other asian cultures and non-japanese in general. I'm always a little miffed about this politically correct double standard that allows non-whites to be racist toward whites, but punishes whites for even slight assumptions of possible racism.


Anyway, you decision worked out for them I guess, and sorta 50/50 for you, that's what counts.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Banned from Graduation because of Confederate Battle Flag

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.