lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Banned from Graduation because of Confederate Battle Flag
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #41
MdKnightR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post

So, what I find is interesting is the racism on their part. Seeing the flag makes them assume that you, as a white person, are a racist. Why? Because of the historical revisionism around the Civil War. It's kinda sad really, the Civil War was fought about states rights, and the ability to separate from a country if you felt it was unfair to you. Slavery was a minor issue, and most everyone was racist, so the war certainly wasn't over that.
Exactly! The only reason the battle flag has been associated with racism is due to its adoption by the KKK. The problem has been perpetuated in modern times by black power advocates who see racism where there is none. People really need to wise up and read some history.

Here in Georgia, the 1956 state flag contained the battle emblem until Gov. Roy Barnes decided to abolish the design to pander to the NAACP and other minority groups that found it offensive. The new flag was abhorrent and caused an uprising of Confederate loyalists. Their determination to go back to the 1956 design, coupled with the indignation of teachers disenfranchised by his education reforms, caused him to lose his bid for re-election. His successor, Gov. Sonny Perdue, had promised a vote on the flag design. The choices were the 1956 flag, the Roy Barnes flag, or the new "compromise" flag. Unfortunately, Sonny wimped out and the 1956 flag was omitted from the ballot and the "compromise" flag won out. Funny thing is, the new "compromise" flag is more Confederate in design than the 1956 flag....but you don't see the NAACP raising hell about it. Know why? Ignorance of history! 'Nuff said!

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #42
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdKnightR View Post
Funny thing is, the new "compromise" flag is more Confederate in design than the 1956 flag....but you don't see the NAACP raising hell about it. Know why? Ignorance of history! 'Nuff said!
Yup, quite a kick that. Admittedly the Battle Flag is more commonly known and even "the south will rise again!" people associate more with the Battle Flag than any others.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #43
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
You know, I find this reaction odd. None of these people went through the Civil War, few if any of them experienced life before the 1960's, and fewer of them had any awareness of life during the 70's(ie, they were born in the 70's, so didn't feel it personally). Even newer generation's parents didn't experience racism or the civil war.
I’m 43 years old, the friends I was speaking of are all 30 and over. Just because civil rights and desegregation happened in the 1960’s does not mean that those attitudes died. My early childhood was in a small town; really, it was two towns separated by the color of people’s skin. The first time I visited my father in Mississippi, there were no African-Americans living within the city limits. I remember walking down the sidewalk of Main Street when I can upon an elderly man. The sidewalk was narrow so as I was taught to respect my elders I stepped off the sidewalk to allow him to pass. He did the exact same thing. When I respectfully told him to go on that I would wait he replied (not sure of the exact words, but I remember it because it was the first time I remember being called sir, at term I despise today. This is the exact meaning that I received for him.) “No sir, you go on. They’d string me up if I’d do that.” We were at an impasse because I am too hardheaded and fear my grandmother (even though she was dead at the time) to much to disrespect my elders, so I turned and walked around the block. Things change today most of the population of that town is African-American. The mayor and the constable are also African-American.

Quote:
So, what I find is interesting is the racism on their part. Seeing the flag makes them assume that you, as a white person, are a racist. Why?
It sad we judge people at face value instead of really getting to know them, but some people are really good at hiding their true self. I knew people in high school that I’d never guess were racist, but once I was at college and living with them the truth came out and you just set there wondering how you could not see the signs. The Confederate Battle Flag could be a sign.

Quote:
Because of the historical revisionism around the Civil War. It's kinda sad really, the Civil War was fought about states rights, and the ability to separate from a country if you felt it was unfair to you. Slavery was a minor issue, and most everyone was racist, so the war certainly wasn't over that.
I agree with this statement. The Civil War was one of the few times in history when the byproduct of war was something good. The slaves were free, yet it would be over a 100 years before their ancestors could truly feel that freedom.

Quote:
Japanese(not Japanese Americans) are very racist against other asian cultures and non-japanese in general. I'm always a little miffed about this politically correct double standard that allows non-whites to be racist toward whites, but punishes whites for even slight assumptions of possible racism.
Maybe, but that is judging an entire race and culture from the perceived stereotypes. How is that any different from someone judging me because I own a Confederate Battle Flag?

Quote:
Anyway, you decision worked out for them I guess, and sorta 50/50 for you, that's what counts.
No, it worked 100% for me because I cherish their friendship and did not want some stupid misunderstanding to come between that. I did not do it to be politically correct, I did it because I care about my friends and their feelings.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-06-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: grammer - really shouldn't write anything first thing in the morning
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Banned from Graduation because of Confederate Battle Flag