lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Backwards Lightsaber
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #41
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
That's what I said. People may have some thing holding and shaking the remote the way the Apprentice does.
That would be even more absurd than holding it "normally".

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?
Well, since he is obviously a force user he is never unarmed even without his lightsaber, as in the saber being his secondary weapon. So how he "holds" the saber is not too important then, as long as it provides easy access.

If he likes to swing the blade two-handed then the reverse grip is of no good/ill effect, one simply revert to normal two-handed grip during a swing.

Now for MY OWN OPINION, WHICH PROBABLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEV'S MARGINAL UNDERSTANDING OF BLADE COMBAT:

Well, a two-handed grip on a (short) staff type sometimes uses a reverse grip, so that both your thumbs are pointing at each other (well not really, but you get the picture) like the tusken raiders. Since you would hold the 1/3-1/4 of the staff only (if you don't want to switch tips) it is quite usable for lightsaber styles.

Remember that lightsaber is more like a staff (that cut things) than a sword in many says. You never have to worry about the cutting edge, blade direction and such, allowing you to do many things impossable with a regular vibro sword.

Obviously there are disadvantages also for the omni direction supper cutter. The lack of a non-cutting blade means parrying can be hard, as well as super close range encounters. The super cutting ability definitely helps here in really close range, but there are enough stuff in this universe that can at least withstand the "hot blade through butter" cutting speed by slowing it down significantly (ignoring those that can actually parry or disable lightsabers) Your weapon being stuck (or even slowed) for a moment spells big trouble. Hack, even an armor that can take an extra whacking would spell trouble also. Force power helps, but at this range sharp pointy things poses almost as big a danger, if not more.

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #43
Thrawn
Grand Admiral

I think it lends itself to the way the apprentice character is supposed to act. He is a human weapon, and the behind lightsaber pose looks more aggressive. The traditional jedi stance makes for easier defense.

"Politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose."
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,HPGR_Thrawn, Rogue 6
Born And Bred In XWA Country
Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #44
Ryazan
Rookie

I always laugh when I think about how some people are so neurotic that they get upset because of how someone holds something.
Ryazan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
Tomak Ta-Zak
Rookie

Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4Ever/sith.jpg
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. Reposting the same image or another large image again will net you an infraction. ~ SWK Staff
Tomak Ta-Zak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #46
LordSerion
Rookie

Yeah, it'd seriously disturb the sight of the screaming enemies.
LordSerion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #47
TimbukTurnip
Rookie

It's a gimick, plain and simple

TimbukTurnip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #48
Jacob Nion
Rookie

I think they way he holds his lightsaber backwards like that is actualy really cool. I heard it was to defeclt lazer fire from behind.

Jacob Nion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #49
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomak Ta-Zak View Post
Well in an interview with Hayden during E3. They stated he holds his lightsaber behind him because of all the intense force powers he is using. Having the blade infront of him might disrupt some of the force using supposedly and it lets you see the lightsaber. Imagine having that shiny red beam of death infront of you while channeling a lightning attack haha.
Mumbo jumbo. It's just to make it him look cool, there's nothing else to it, like others have said.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #50
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Watch_Dogs
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
What's wrong with looking cool? I do it all the time.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #51
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102 View Post
What's wrong with looking cool? I do it all the time.
Perhaps LucasArts should model you as a downloadable character to replace Starkiller in the game then.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #52
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I like how he holds it makes him seem more unique!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #53
Ratmjedi

As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

Quote:
Shien was a form of Jedi lightsaber combat. Followers of this form practiced an unorthodox method of holding the lightsaber to perform long, sweeping strikes to take down several enemies at a time.
I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

Ratmjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #54
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmjedi View Post
As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it?
Not really, since it's purely aesthetic anyway.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #55
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmjedi View Post
As long as he's able to kick some major a$$ does it really matter how he holds it? Each character has there unique features and it's being shown in the game so I think it's cool.

I think for being a secret apprentice who was gonna encounter alot of enemies on his missions it's the most effecient style so it makes sense.

Agreed. What is the big deal with the reverse grip? It's not the end of the world

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #56
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Yeah, it's new, it's cool, it's different, it's Vader's Secret Aprentice...
... Anakin's first padawan holds it that way also...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #57
KyoteOne
Lurker

Hmm

Different Jedi and Sith have their preferences for how they hold their sabers.
I thinks it's because he is a speedy attacker and backwards blades seem to be associated with speed and/or ninja style characters.
And I think they felt it was just more sinister looking
KyoteOne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #58
Drunkside
Satanīs little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Hunter View Post
Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the Apprentice holds his lightsaber backwards? I really wish he would hold it normally because it looks better that way.
I dont really care becouse its a game, but i tell you, if someone actually wielded a weapon that way and just stand casually he would get grinded to bits by the first guy he meets with any combat skill... That kind of a stance is a suicide! And even though i always dual wield when its possible, the lack of that doesnt bother me at all, becouse here i play Starkiller, not the most powerful being in the universe, ME...
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #59
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Really though, it's a game...it doesn't really have to make sense.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #60
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
That's the most ludicrous thing i've heard. It's simple because it looks cool, and people kept moaning that they couldn't see the lightsaber.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #61
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
It's no more then an attraction to raise sale counts.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #62
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
It's no more then an attraction to raise sale counts.
Which I can't see it doing. I'm far more interested in Unleashing the Force than I am about how he holds his lightsaber.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #63
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Point proven.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #64
Dominicomucci
Lurker

I love the way he holds the sabre, its cool. But its very impractical in real combat.

In fact i think even in game you can see this, he is so slow to get his guard up when you block (tell me its not my reactions) youhave to be ready before hte enemies swing for starkiller to get his guard up!!!

Other than that it does look very japanese cool though.

On the point of styles i loved Count Dokus style, swashbuckling fencer. I think that is one of the coolest styles in film because the guy is professionally trained in it (and yes i know a lot of it is a stunt guy, but for an old dude that guy can still look smart)
Dominicomucci is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #65
Cru3lty
Lurker

I think a lot of the inspiration for using the reverse grip might have come from a really cool japanese film about a blind masseur called Zatoichi who held his cane-katana like that. The reverse grip is used occasionally in japanese fencing but usually (like the Apprentice) mixed with the conventional grip. I agree that it does give him a bit more character.
Cru3lty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #66
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
It doesn't bother me, and the fact that he was powerful enough to beat Vader and the Emperor is reason enough to allow it.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #67
Kalonus
Rookie

Doesn’t he use that style because he is often faced with multiple attackers and it allows him to have wide swings of his blade…I thought that was what the form was used for.

Only in death does duty end.
Kalonus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #68
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #69
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
I wouldn't consider Starkiller a Sith considering the story. Rather he used powers of the darkside. Besides, its not how good it is, its how well you use it.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #70
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Gimmick. Plain and simple. Just something to make him different from the other sabre-users in Star Wars.

It's been done before - think double-bladed Maul. Or quad-wielding Grievous.

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe it's because I prefer the dueling style. Perhaps it is appropriate for a Sith, as it has little defensive value and perhaps more offensive value.
Unfortunately backhand stance is not unique anymore...

Plus, Maul's saber is not unique, just a dim copy of the true master...

The Quad Wield is pretty special though, I wish there is a true 4 handed sith.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #71
Xbx_Inthusiast
.Devil's Trap.//

Helpful! 
Well Shien (Backhand) has been used by Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Starkiller, Jedi Snipers, Quinlan Vos, and Ronhar Kim. It's very useful in throwing your opponents off guard and striking from strange angles. Also, when fighting a double-bladed opponent, it's the best form to use because of it's wide defensive range.

(Also, I guess Maris Brood would have use a variant of Shien, due to her Tonfa's being backwards)
Xbx_Inthusiast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #72
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I've just noted though that when Starkiller attacks, he twirls the saber to the 'normal' position to strike, then twirls it back when comig out of the attack stance.

Not sure if that reduces the utility of the form or not.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #73
NEOxSNIPER
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
It doesn't bother me, but I do wonder: What possible advantage is there to holding your lightsaber like that? I mean, yeah, you can hold your lightsaber any way you want and call it a new form, but how exactly is that helping?
that back handed stance is geared more toward defense, where as holding it normally is offensive.

NEOxSNIPER is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #74
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

^ It's a mix really, if you're good at it, like I assume Galen is... The form is called Shien... Link...

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #75
csneo23
Rookie

Every character in the star wars universe has their own lightsaber stance and I think it is important that they do. Some are more noticeable then others. Revan, Starkiller, Darth Vader, Malak, Obi- wan, Palpatine, yoda, Darth Maul, and Dooku. All of them have very different styles and I think it is important that they do. Personally I love the fact that Starkiller's stance is so different and of his own.
csneo23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #76
Lord Foley

Aesthetic choice or not, I think his stance is awesome.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #77
Darth Eclipse

Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
I love Shien. I don't see why so many people have problems with it. It's rediculous!
Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #78
LukeDavis93
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
but I do not understand why this bothers people.
because its differrent
LukeDavis93 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #79
GwannaSauna
Rookie

Maybe he just had a wrist surgery, hmm?

Nah, but that is pretty damn annoying. Although when you're attacked by eight stormtroopers and holding down the B button ready to unleash a wave of destruction, I don't think you're gonna care the way he holds his lightsabre

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #80
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Somewhere I heard that the backwards style helps weaker fighters (aka women) have greater leverage during clenches. Don't know if that's true in the real world or not, but I certainly know it's true at my house.

And, of course, it looks cool.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > Backwards Lightsaber