lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Semi-Old Games
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Semi-Old Games

As many of you, my loyal fans, must know by now, I have a computer that was bought to celebrate the fall of Constantinople, and is hence rather outdated now. Due to... reasons, an upgrade is not in sight for atleast, say- three-quarters of a year, perhaps more.

While that means that I have been deprived of the latest in video games, I have taken the opportunity to play old games - not the ancient Mesopotamian or Aztec variety, mind you. I meant semi-old games. That should mean, in general, games that came out between about 2000-2005, and maybe before.

Note that while I don't mind pre-2000 games, I have yet to develop complete patience for their graphics to appreciate them. It would be nice if you mentioned them, still.

There are no holds on genre, anything will do. Platform can't be anything but PC, obviously. Would be nice if they weren't god-awful on system requirements. Here are the ones I've played, or have decided to play.
  • XIII
  • Sacrifice
  • Rome: Total War
  • Psychonauts
  • The entire Half-Life series
  • Neverwinter Nights (and disliked it)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (was fine, but a better system would have improved it)
  • All Star Wars games, except Empire at War
  • All Jedi Knight Games
  • Deus Ex, and Invisible War
  • Clive Barker's Undying
  • Worms 3D and Worms 4: Mayhem
  • SWAT 3
  • All the Unreal Tournament games
  • Call of Duty 1 & 2
  • Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Civilization IV w/ all extensions
  • Age of Empires II w/ extension, III w/ Asian Dynasties
  • SWAT 4

There must be more, obviously - updated as and how I remember

That was a general list, mind you. Not in any manner comprehensive. Now you shoot.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 06-05-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I'm not sure what you have or haven't played but here it goes.

Max Payne - Godfather of bullet-time and still, I feel, the best utilization of the effect.
Deus Ex - About to be free! Great GREAT RPG/FPS game.
Painkiller - Spiritual successor to Doom 2.
Clive Barkers Undying - Scariest game I've ever played. Released in 1999 though.
American McGee's Alice - Adventure to a twisted scary (moreso) wonderland Adventure/FPS.
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 - Awesome 1960s Retro FPS.
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - Not sure how to describe this... It's made by Planet Moon and it's freaking hilarious.
Armed and Dangerous - Also made by Planet Moon. Not quite as great but worth a look.
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - IMHO the best rpg evArs.
Age of Mythology: Age of Empires with two scoops of awesome.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Baldur's Gate 1&2. Definitely in the running for best CRPGs ever. They're rather tedious at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Warlords Battlecry II - Best game ever made, kicks every other games' @$$.

Metal Gear Solid: Integral - The PC versionm of the 2nd best game ever made.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Max Payne - Godfather of bullet-time and still, I feel, the best utilization of the effect.
Deus Ex - About to be free! Great GREAT RPG/FPS game.
Painkiller - Spiritual successor to Doom 2.
Clive Barkers Undying - Scariest game I've ever played. Released in 1999 though.
American McGee's Alice - Adventure to a twisted scary (moreso) wonderland Adventure/FPS.
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 - Awesome 1960s Retro FPS.
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - Not sure how to describe this... It's made by Planet Moon and it's freaking hilarious.
Armed and Dangerous - Also made by Planet Moon. Not quite as great but worth a look.
Age of Mythology: Age of Empires with two scoops of awesome.
MP - Yes, that's a good one.
DX - What, have you never read my zealous pro-Deus Ex posts?
Undying - Legendary. Played.
Alice - Ah yes, thanks for reminding me on that one. I played the demo and was so totally impressed.
NOLF and AaD - Need to check those out.]
Morrowind - Was thinking of it...
AoM - Sounds pretty awesome as well.

I think I'll be taking AoM and Alice after that...

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Have the same problem with my laptop, so here are the games I still play regularly.

Freedom Force1&2: Most entertaining rpg gameplay evva.
Evil Genius: this game just screams sabrez
Dungeon Keeper 1&2: see above
Icewind dale 2: I hated nwn1('cept for the last expansion), playing this made me hate it even more.
Mech warrior mercenaries: Big droids, big gunz what more could you want?
Prince of persia3: Good game period.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Total Annihilation - (1997-ish One of the first truely 3d RTS games... well the units not really the maps... plus it has gatling artillery Nuff' said!)

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
one of my favourite games of all time..

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

and i recently learnt that they are making a sequel for next-gen... yay!
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The Longest Journey - Adventure game with some great puzzles and a great story populated with interesting, and often funny, characters.

Alpha Centauri- Sid Meier's classic game. One of my favourite games of all time. It's the classic Civilizations game set on an alien world after the fall of Earth.

Tachyon: The Fringe - Oh, how I miss Space Shooter games. Tachyon: The Fringe came out at the end of the genre's popularity, and thus fell under the radar. Great game, nonetheless, if you like the genre. Also, Bruce Campbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (was fine, but a better system would have improved it)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption - It was released before Bloodlines and it shows, unfortunately. While the games are not really connected, if you like Bloodlines, you might like Redepmtion. The game play is not so good, but Troika used what they learned from Redemption to make Bloodlines. Where Redemption really shines is with it's story.

You play as Christof, a devout Christian Crusader injured in battle. He is left behind at a church in Prague to recover, only to find out that Prague is not such a Holy place. Vampires have made it home and it's your job to kill them... except they kill you... and turn you into a Vampire. Oh, and you fall in love with a Nun.

Anyway, you might like it if you liked Bloodlines. It should play better on your CPU than Bloodlines.

Last edited by Bob Lion54; 06-03-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
Homeworld.

Half-Life 1.

You just can't go wrong with those games....
ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
The Longest Journey - Adventure game with some great puzzles and a great story populated with interesting, and often funny, characters.
Aye, yes - that one should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLion
Tachyon: The Fringe - Oh, how I miss Space Shooter games. Tachyon: The Fringe came out at the end of the genre's popularity, and thus fell under the radar. Great game, nonetheless, if you like the genre. Also, Bruce Campbell.
Another demo I played. Don't remember any of it, but Bruce Campbell intrigues me. Bruce Campbell + Video Games? Such awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption - It was released before Bloodlines and it shows, unfortunately. While the games are not really connected, if you like Bloodlines, you might like Redepmtion. The game play is not so good, but Troika used what they learned from Redemption to make Bloodlines. Where Redemption really shines is with it's story.

You play as Christof, a devout Christian Crusader injured in battle. He is left behind at a church in Prague to recover, only to find out that Prague is not such a Holy place. Vampires have made it home and it's your job to kill them... except they kill you... and turn you into a Vampire. Oh, and you fall in love with a Nun.

Anyway, you might like it if you liked Bloodlines. It should play better on your CPU than Bloodlines.
Played the demo on this one as well. Not too keen on this one, I'm afraid. I thought it was decent then, but not really totally impressive.

Current List:
1. XIII
2. Sacrifice
3. American McGee's Alice
4. Age of Mythology
5. Max Payne

That will actually be enough, but more recommendations are welcome.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
Darth333
Administraterror

If you like stealth based games, the Thief series is a good one. (Thief 2 was the first game to scare me )
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
[*]All Star Wars games, except Empire at War
Whats wrong with EaW? I really liked it

For me....

Halflife 1 + 2
Max Payne
Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (its better than the film - it has a plot! )
Aliens vs Predator 2

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Well you cannot beat that recommendation, so I just ordered “The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition” from Amazon.

mimartin is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Well you cannot beat that recommendation, so I just ordered “The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition” from Amazon.
Depending on what it is that you liked about Oblivion, you may find that you end up preferring Morrowind.

While Oblivion had a lot of immersion features that Morrowind lacked, I personally think that the Morrowind's story was far, far superior.

EDIT: Also, I didn't care much for either of the expansions aside from the added features that were applied to the regular game.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
The Red Factions, Deus Ex, Freedom force, Deus Ex, Swat 3, Deus Ex, Freedom Fighters, Deus Ex, Warcraft 3, Deus Ex and maybe Deus Ex.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Gee, you wouldn't happen to really REALLY like Deus Ex, would you?

Anyway, my recommendations:
If you like RTS games, you might want to try out one of the old Command & Conquer games - Tiberian Sun, or Red Alert 2. I'd personally recommend even Red Alert 1, but that's only if you don't mind the ancient graphics.

Otherwise, perhaps Desperados, or one of the Commandos games, if you like tactical games.

As for shooters, a GTA game, or one of the previous three Unreal Tournament games. Or if you like more stealthy games, you might want to play Hitman (especially Hitman 2 Silent Assassin).

And if you just want to vent some anger, then I recommend good ol' Mortal Kombat 4.

Well, that's enough from me. Hope it helps.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Only qualify GTA as a shooter if you really hate shooters and don't like yourself.

Red Faction is a cookie cutter FPS that strongly tauted their revolutionary Geomod technology as it's saving grace. Unfortunately, they implemented this tech so poorly as to render the game smotheringly boring most of the time. The first one is at least good for a quick run through though.

Hey yeah, what about the UT games? Those are a blast even with just bots. Stick with the Tournament games though. The single player adventures are very very dull.

Oh, Elite Force is worth a gander. It was made by the same crew who did JO and JA. I haven't played the second one but it looked entertaining.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Starfleet Command 3. Awesome game. I kinda miss some of the fun bits from I, II and Orion Pirates like the profusion of odd weapons, but nevertheless, it's a cool, if less balanced, game.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #20
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Quote:
Red Faction is a cookie cutter FPS that strongly tauted their revolutionary Geomod technology as it's saving grace. Unfortunately, they implemented this tech so poorly as to render the game smotheringly boring most of the time. The first one is at least good for a quick run through though.
I could understand you saying that about Red Faction 2 which was just a cookie cutter FPS console port with far overhyped use of a more basic geomod than rf1, but I think that fact that Red Faction 1 still has a decent sized online community shows its more than just an ordinary game. Not to mention the implementation of some controversies(some science related controversies, workers rights, ect) and a solid mix of things you can do through out the game.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #21
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Morrowind seems to be sliding into my list...

Won't be too interested in Thief, Commandos or Desperados. I have always been an Unreal Tournament fan and will continue to be one forever. I still play ONS-Torlan every night. Its like a drug.

I also remember SWAT 3 well - it used to be one of my most favourite games. Totally loved it - top-of-the-line quality game. The sequel didn't seem so cool, though - it was more like a geeky elder brother to the predecessor.

I'll have to look into Elite Force and Red Faction, never heard of those. And I need a really good FPS now.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #22
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Honestly, I'm probably just bitter about Red Faction still. They were really REALLY bragging geomod up as something special for months before it came out and I unfortunately had completely bought into it. My main problem is that they didn't do nearly enough with it. It was like they were clever enough to come up with the idea but not quite clever enough to piece together assorted kick ass scenarios that showed it off to its full potential.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #23
Corinthian
Banned

Gentlemen, for shame. You have forgotten some of the timeless classics that defined the genres as they are today.

We shall begin with the RPG genre, as it is my favorite.

1: Fallout Series

2: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. (I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about it)

3: Baldur's Gate Series

4: The Exile/Avernum games. Graphics are mediocre. But they're cheap and incredibly fun, and the plot is quite impressive.

5: Geneforge Series: By the same developer, Spiderweb Software, as Exile. Again, quite fun and cheap.

Strategy Games:

1: StarCraft

2: WarCraft III

3: Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

4: Company of Heroes (2006, actually, but still awesome.)

5: Homeworld II

Pure Action Games:

1: Freelancer. The story is mediocre and it's got flaws out the bunghole, but at the same time, the initial game is solid and respectable and there are mods to all getout.

2: FreeSpace

3: Jedi Knight. I've avoided mentioning Star Wars games because you've almost certainly heard of them already. This series, however, is a paragon.

4: Descent Series. Okay, it's old, but they're still quite fun.

5: MechWarrior series. These games were a godsend. Frankly, the only way they could be better is IF SOMEBODY WOULD MAKE MECHWARRIOR V.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #24
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Hey, I promise I would have mentioned plenty of those awesome games you've listed but he said he wanted them mostly post 2000.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #25
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, or whatever it was called, is an awesome game, you might wanna look into it.

Yes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #26
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Only qualify GTA as a shooter if you really hate shooters and don't like yourself.
Well, yeah it's not a pure shooter, more of a mixture of shooting/driving/beating people up/theft, but I still like it.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
On the other hand, 'tis true that Freelancer is good fun.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #28
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Rabish brings me good memories of the MechWarrior 4 demo. That one will definitely do with a spin.

@Corinthian:

- Yep, played the Fallout games through and through.
- Never heard of that, I'm afraid.
- The Baldur's Gate 2 engine has been having fatal prollems with my system, or I would be relishing Planescape at the moment.
- Never heard of those either. But an interesting plot piques my interest.

Don't remember ever playing the Descent or Freelancer games, those might be worth something. The Jedi Knight series is, of course, a classic that have played many times over.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #29
Ghost Down

Here are some to check out:

- Black & White
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Freedom Fighters
- The Thing
- Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza
- Enclave

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
HdVaderII
I am le sad.

Current Game: Dark Forces. Yeah.
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II's graphics are pretty terrible now, but I enjoyed it. That might be too old though

Are you one of those poor Macintosh gamers that are in the possession of Empire at War, yet because of the scarcity of Mac players out there you have nobody to play against? If you are, PM me if you want to set up a game.
HdVaderII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #31
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
Quote:
While I haven't beat it yet myself, I'm far enough along to say its a great game... not the best graphics compared to most nowaday's but meh.

And yeah, Age of Mythology is pretty good. You can buy the Gold version at Walmart for about ten dollars.

If you wanna crowd through the depths of games, you could always look for Final Fantasy 7, 8 for PC. Better graphics and such, if it suits your interists.
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #32
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Attempting to play Black & White is the closest I've ever come to snapping a cd in twine and cursing the god who had wrought it.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #33
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
I second Freespace and Warcraft III.

Maybe The Sims (original)?

The Myst games are also good.

If you get Morrowind, don't expect one of the best stories ever. Though it does the "big huge world" thing pretty well, if you're looking for a good story, look elsewhere.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #34
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

I really enjoyed the Morrowind story. Granted,you have to read a LOT of the books to get the whole picture but that's part of the charm.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #35
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
- The Baldur's Gate 2 engine has been having fatal prollems with my system, or I would be relishing Planescape at the moment.
I've had some trouble with it myself, but I did get it working fine in the end. Describe your problem, and maybe we can help you.

There are also some absolutely kick-a$$ mods out there for BG/BG2 and PS:T.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 AM   #36
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I've had some trouble with it myself, but I did get it working fine in the end. Describe your problem, and maybe we can help you.

There are also some absolutely kick-a$$ mods out there for BG/BG2 and PS:T.
My, what fantastic coincidence this is.

The Sims used to be great, but it's really the sort of game that amuses you for a week and then you will either play it forever or never play it again. I'm in the latter crowd.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #37
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

I never like Age of Mythology, Age of Empires II was the best one, but Warlords Battlecry II is still way better.

Yes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #38
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
Just thought of this: You might want to add Civilization III with Play the World and Conquests to it.

I personally prefer it to Civ4. It's combat system isn't as clean cut or simple as 4's, but the graphics are cleaner, and it doesn't take much to play it on a computer. So, add Civ3 to the list!
ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #39
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverNight View Post
Just thought of this: You might want to add Civilization III with Play the World and Conquests to it.

I personally prefer it to Civ4. It's combat system isn't as clean cut or simple as 4's, but the graphics are cleaner, and it doesn't take much to play it on a computer. So, add Civ3 to the list!
Could be interesting to try out, but I doubt if it will hold my interest long enough, since I am addicted to its sequel, a half hour of which is my daily requirement.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #40
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I guess the Jedi Knight series is semi-old. I haven't actually played a game in that series in at least a year.

I know that there are others, none are just coming into my mind!

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Semi-Old Games