lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Revan 411
Forumite
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 514
Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project

The Next BioShock Game

I enjoyed the first game, (yes, I also played System Shock 2) but I absolutely hated the second. The third one, so far, doesn't exactly sound like a rather worthy successor to the original BioShock, and the early teaser didn't seem interesting at all.

I guess this is one of those "wait, and see" games.


Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
I really like the setting and the art direction. And... that's about it, so far. Granted, it seems to be BioShock in name only (where's the "bio" in airships?), but I presume that's 2K's call, much like what happened with Fallout 3 or XCOM. Still, from what we've been told, the core gameplay seems to be more or less unchanged, with only a different environment. I'm disappointed with Irrational not doing a significantly different game than previous titles, but I'm also anxious to see how it all turns out.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons
 
Boba Rhett's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Man-Room in Missouri
Posts: 13,806
Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
What the crap?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee
 
DarthParametric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,688
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Might want to get a mod to change the thread title to BioShock Infinite so people know what it's about.

Sounds interesting, but I'm surprised Irrational went in this direction. I figured the break away from the 2K moniker and not handling BS2 meant that they were pursuing other fare. Seems like an odd play.

Here's the debut trailer. 1080p version available.

View page
YouTube Video

Some concept and story discussion from lead artist Shawn Robertson - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/st...nfinite/702804

Interview with Ken Levine:

View page
YouTube Video

And IGN has some thoughts on the gameplay demo they saw - http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1111864p1.html

Last edited by DarthParametric; 08-13-2010 at 12:43 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
If I had to guess, from what we've seen, I'd say patriotism/exacerbated nationalism will be criticized on this game.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I loved the first Bioshock, haven't played the second though. I am very looking forward to this!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
So, after watching Levine's interview I have a couple of things to say.

The first thing I noticed when watching the trailer, and that struck me as uncreative for a very blatant reason, was the setting. Again we have a city built in a unlikely place; again something has gone terribly wrong; again you must work your way out of what quickly becomes a nightmare; again an uber-everyday-enemy a la Big Daddy. After thinking about it some more I thought that this is still Bioshock. Sure, not Bioshock 3, but it's still one of the franchise. And what made Bioshock? Was it Rapture? Hell yeah, was the answer I reached. But Rapture was just the scenario for a very gratifying, keenly critic and thought-provoking plot. Whatever Levine intends on doing can, apparently, be done on Columbia.

What still lets me down a bit is the fact that he opted for another historical and remote city to tell his history. Dunno what he has up his sleeve, but there are probably more original ways to tell a masterpiece story again.

But if we are to disconsider the setting, I'd say this might be a fresh restart for this still new series. What new gameplay possibilities there might be in store?


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Next up: BioShock Vacuum

A hacker wakes up to find himself on a giant spaceship-city being controlled by a sinister AI who is fighting a bionic alien invasion.





i am shodan and i am here to ask you a question


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Next up: BioShock Vacuum

A hacker wakes up to find himself on a giant spaceship-city being controlled by a sinister AI who is fighting a bionic alien invasion.





i am shodan and i am here to ask you a question
I will give you two bags with dollar signs on them full of money if you would give me your 100% original idea.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman
 
Pavlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The real world/ivory towers
Posts: 1,974
Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
i am shodan and i am here to ask you a question
Is an insect not entitled to the panting and sweating of its own corridors?


StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I've heard this game is still apart of the world that Rapture exists in...sooo....I like that!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
I've heard this game is still apart of the world that Rapture exists in...sooo....I like that!
Still "apart" or still "a part"?


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Still "apart" or still "a part"?
A part of the same....universe. But I read that on Wikipedia....soooo....yeah....
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee
 
DarthParametric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,688
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Teaser with some in-game footage:

View page
YouTube Video

Irrational is due to release more next week apparently.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee
 
DarthParametric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,688
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Here's the full 10 minute gameplay trailer:

View page
YouTube Video

Seems very heavily (and obviously) scripted, but despite that (and despite likely being a dev), whoever is playing it seems to suck at shooters.

EDIT: Replaced video. This one is apparently posted by Irrational themselves, so I'm reasonably certain it won't get removed.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 09-22-2010 at 10:07 PM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Impressions (has a lot on scripted events):

- Using birds as a weapon is nice. Hope it's not as useless as throwing bees at splicers.
- Sniping seems as good as promised. I hope it can happen frequently and randomly, and that you can be sniped too.
- As much as probably all that action was scripted, it was pretty intense. More intense than Bioshock has ever been. And since a lot of it was always scripted, I don't mind it-- for now.
- The telekhinesis plasmid is nothing new, but stopping the cannon shell with your hand was over-the-top and certainly nice.
- The time the citizens of Columbia took to start shooting at the player once he enters that bar seems to hint not all of them are immediatly hostile. I hope there's a way to get past some situations concealed "in plain sight".
- I can see some neat combo possibilities with Elizabeth. As long as they're not all scripted as we saw on the trailer, that can be pretty cool, otherwise she'll just become a pain.
- The new Big Daddy certainly looks unsophisticated if compared to the old, Rapture one. But it seems much more agile and deadly, even if it limits to lunging and throwing things at you.
- Here's hoping that there's a fight against that mechanic bird.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.

Last edited by Ctrl Alt Del; 09-22-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
jrrtoken
Senior Member
 
jrrtoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,995
Looks like Half-Life 2... and that wasn't a compliment.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I don't mind scripted events, in fact I love scripted events! It looks interesting so far...
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Xarwarz
Forumite
 
Xarwarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 620
Veteran Modder 
I like the new direction bioshock 1 was excellent bioshock 2 sucked it look outdated and worse than before. This new game the powers and game play look interesting


USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
JEDI.ACADEMY. HI REZ LIGHTING--MODELS ON MOD DB--VE-2013--TSL V.E. 2012--KOTOR 2012......

OTHER
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee
 
DarthParametric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,688
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The release date has been announced. October 16, 2012 for the US and October 19 for Europe.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,561
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
They've took their sweet time, haven't they!


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
HED
Rookie
 
HED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 238
"Boring, cowardly, craven, heartless: Bioshock Infinite was the worst game of the year"

I find it interesting to read such a negative review of a game that received such wide acclaim.


"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Isaac Clarke
Junior Member
 
Isaac Clarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 261
Best response to dissenters like him is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy
Well, you just didn't get it.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Possible, but the game is not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. Key parts of it were fairly predictable (to the point that by the end of the game I wasn't wondering how certain things related to each other, but how they intended to explain the relation). If I had to wager a guess, I would say that most people are justifiably impressed by that caliber of story in a shooter. The story itself doesn't warrant the hype.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #26
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It's a good game cause I had the most important thing happen to me while playing it... I had fun.


As for the story, figured it out when charlie darwin washed lizzies hands in the bird drinker washer thingymajigger. But does that mean that the game sucks because I figured it out at some point? No. The game wasn't broken, it was well made and I enjoyed myself.

That may not make it a GREAT game, but it is a good game.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I think the point of the essay is that subjectivity is fine, so long as 1) everyone sees it for what it is (i.e. not objectivity) and 2) acts as a starting point for discussion (when warranted).

By my reading, the larger argument seemed to be that it's pretty sad when the industry gives the highest ratings to games that make the light flicker on the "I had fun" meter. 10/10 becomes pretty meaningless if they are handing out 9.7/10 for games that clearly think themselves mind-blowing, but end up just being good.

Game reviews that say, "Exciting gameplay coupled with some of the best writing seen this year" might be helpful for someone like Lynk, who categorizes "fun" as "the most important thing", but aren't helpful at all for someone whose "most important thing" is the story. The industry doesn't help itself or its audience when it collectively hypes certain aspects of a game undeservedly.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,561
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
It is a game I haven't played because I can kinda predict what'll happen; I will go in there with massive expectations because I have only good things about it and then it will disappoint.

That and I didn't like the first two BioShock games anyway...call me weird...


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Achilles: You are... wrong.

I haven't read a game review in a very long time because video game journalism and reviews in general are all... terrible. None of what is written is helpful for someone like me because none of them care about whether or not people will find a game fun to play.

I too agree that this industry has given way too much credit to BioShock Infinite, as well as other games for all the wrong reasons... but I still think it's a good game. I could pick it apart totally and inspect each individual component like I've done with Mass Effect 3 in relation to the other two games, but in the case of Infinite, I don't feel I need to do that because it managed to do what the developers set out to do in the first place.

Whether it is a masterpiece or not, I don't really care because unlike many, I don't care whether video games are seen as high art, I'm more concerned as to whether those games are enjoyable to play.

Video game journalism doesn't give me that and people who tout video games as a contender for high art doesn't give me what I'm looking for either. I don't think anyone in video game journalism really cares if a game is fun or not, just as long as their pockets are lined by publishers to advertise their games. And I don't think people who see video games as a contender for high art value the enjoyment of playing a video game as much as they value the enjoyment of discussing whatever complexities in story and structure it has.

And if a game like BioShock Infinite gets a 10/10, I really don't care because they're just arbitrary numbers given by some person over there somewhere that doesn't really matter.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
On a totally different note...

View page
YouTube Video

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #31
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
@ Achilles: You are... wrong.
Wow, that sounds like a factual statement. Can't wait to see how you're gonna back that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I too agree that this industry has given way too much credit to BioShock Infinite, as well as other games for all the wrong reasons... but I still think it's a good game.
Couple of subjective statements here. One of which agrees with my position. The other one is pretty meaningless. You're allowed to think it's a good game. No one is contesting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I could pick it apart totally and inspect each individual component like I've done with Mass Effect 3 in relation to the other two games, but in the case of Infinite, I don't feel I need to do that because it managed to do what the developers set out to do in the first place.
More subjectivity. Some of which I disagree with. Some of which I find hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Whether it is a masterpiece or not, I don't really care because unlike many, I don't care whether video games are seen as high art, I'm more concerned as to whether those games are enjoyable to play.
I'm sure I don't need to point out what this is. And again, no one is begrudging you your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Video game journalism doesn't give me that and people who tout video games as a contender for high art doesn't give me what I'm looking for either. I don't think anyone in video game journalism really cares if a game is fun or not, just as long as their pockets are lined by publishers to advertise their games. And I don't think people who see video games as a contender for high art value the enjoyment of playing a video game as much as they value the enjoyment of discussing whatever complexities in story and structure it has.
Ok, so you look at "vidya" differently. Congratulations. I'm not sure what that has to do with the point of the article (specifically, video game journalism makes itself useless/valueless by giving high ratings mediocre games...regardless of what standard you are using)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
And if a game like BioShock Infinite gets a 10/10, I really don't care because they're just arbitrary numbers given by some person over there somewhere that doesn't really matter.
And maybe that's the whole point. Maybe someone who actually works in the industry tries to take it a little bit seriously (aka not "vidya"), who for some crazy reason thinks that game reviews shouldn't be arbitrary, decided to write an article about it. An article that someone posted here. And a few of us are trying to talk about. But apparently not you. So why are you replying to my posts again?

Oh yeah, to tell me that I'm wrong (not, "I disagree" or "My opinion is you're wrong because...", but "you are...wrong") and then proceed to post 5 chunks of opinion.

Hang on while I look for a golf clap smiley.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Wow, that sounds like a factual statement. Can't wait to see how you're gonna back that up.
You made a statement about me and I told you that your statement about me is wrong and elaborated with what my opinions on the matter actually are.

If you didn't like that, then next time you probably shouldn't assume things about me to begin with.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #33
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
You made a statement about me and I told you that your statement about me is wrong and elaborated with what my opinions on the matter actually are.

If you didn't like that, then next time you probably shouldn't assume things about me to begin with.
The only possible post you could be referring to is this one.

In that post the only thing that even references you is this line:
Quote:
Game reviews that say, "Exciting gameplay coupled with some of the best writing seen this year" might be helpful for someone like Lynk, who categorizes "fun" as "the most important thing", but aren't helpful at all for someone whose "most important thing" is the story.
(Emphasis added).

Those quotation marks aren't there by accident, Lynk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
It's a good game cause I had the most important thing happen to me while playing it... I had fun.
Emphasis added.

Pretty please show me how I misrepresented you.

I quoted you saying words. I didn't even do it in a derogatory way or with derogatory intent. No one is suggesting that "fun" cannot be, or shouldn't be, your "most important thing". I did say (and I'll say again) giving a game a high rating for being fun is fine, but isn't helpful to those whose "most important thing" is something else (like the story). Which a lot of people did, Lynk.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #34
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
My apologies, you're right, I should have quoted the exact part of the post in my reply to begin with, but you're still wrong about me... and I wasn't saying "you're a bad person for thinking that way" just that... you are wrong about me, nothing more.

Unless you're RIGHT about me, in which case, you know me better than I do and should probably ask you which game I should buy next

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Fair enough. Might I recommend The Witcher 3?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #36
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Two of my favorite people in a fight...

I bought it, but haven't played it, so my opinion means nothing.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #37
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
FWIW, I think she immediately alienated a large segment of her potential audience by using the game that she did for her jumping off point. I think her criticism of the game is spot-on, but the larger point being made was echoed perfectly by Lynk:

"...because they're just arbitrary numbers given by some person over there somewhere that doesn't really matter."

Classic supply and demand: when supply is high, demand is low (e.g. the product has diminished value). When the product is near-perfect game scores, the result is that game reviews don't tell you anything meaningful. People stop paying attention because the numbers become arbitrary when they don't have to be. There's an entire industry that could be serving a purpose, but has no value for it's intended audience. If I'm someone in that industry, working hard to provide some value, that has to be pretty frustrating for me.

EDIT: And, for the record, I agree with Lynk: it is a fun game. But if you bought it because you heard it has amazing writing, well...your results may vary.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #38
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,364
Wait is this the Kavar's I thought I walked into Outlander which way is okay now I'm confused

On a more serious note, this game turned out rather awkwardly. For all the excellent work put into creating the world of Columbia by the level and art design departments, there is awfully little to do or interact with in the world. It's a railroaded rollercoastered conveyor where you're constantly whisked from one clockwork machinery to the next. It's so awkward that in a world mired with complexity, the only possible way to interact is to fire weapons and loot items.

I wouldn't even call it a particularly fun game beyond the opening 2-3 hours as it drags on in repetitive fight sequence after fight sequence. Want the next bit of story? Jack off with a bunch of a guns for ten minutes.

The game is a masterful example of how this generation's AAA games used bombastic production design and game design tricks to keep your carrot-and-stick'ed through to the end for a ride that made absolutely no sense. And to think this core team was responsible for System Shock 2.

I'd go on, but pretty much everything I want to say was said better by Tevis Thompson.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
EDIT: And, for the record, I agree with Lynk: it is a fun game. But if you bought it because you heard it has amazing writing, well...your results may vary.
Yeah I didn't keep up with it, I bought it because I love bioshock. Not a must play right away because I also bought and played some of bioshock 2. I also bought GTA V too and haven't been able to get into it. Hell I still haven't finished Skyrim.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #40
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It's better than Kavar's cause we're actually talking about something important... video games


I do agree that the game is one repetitive shootout after another... but in a strange way, it kept me going... mostly because I was already figuring out what was going on and was wondering if I was on the money or if I'd be surprised.

I wasn't surprised, but by the time I got to the end of the game I thought, "Hey neat, it did turn out like I expected with some added bit of fan service."

Now they need to make BioShock Astra... where you're in space and only Big Mama's can hear you scream.

XD





...at least you play the game though and not have qte after qte like in Heavy Rain. Because, according to David Cage, the best video games are the ones you don't actually play.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.