lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: On Taris, of KOTOR 1, I accidentally challenged...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
LAPIII
Rookie

On Taris, of KOTOR 1, I accidentally challenged...

that retired guy in the upper city cantina. Unfortunately for me, I try and stay on the light side and this death match will give dark side points. What can I do?
LAPIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
If you are taking about Bendak Starkiller, if you fight Bendak in the death match you will get Darkside Points. You also get 700xp points for killing him besides the credit for winning the fight and the can collect the bounty in the Lower City Cantina. You can also get his blaster if you sweet talk the Hutt running the fight.

It is up to you, but the rewards make my lightside PC always take the DS points hit. After all you are not officially a Jedi and you need the credits.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
That's basically it. If you ever want to try out some mods, this mod by Ulic is really good. It adds some dialog so you can get LS points.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPIII
that retired guy in the upper city cantina. Unfortunately for me, I try and stay on the light side and this death match will give dark side points. What can I do?
You'll get more than enough opportunities to earn Lightside points in the game to still reach Lightside Mastery pretty quick even if you get a darkside adjustment or two.

This is a place where it might actually be worth it even for an aspiring halo wearer to take the DS hit, given how great and useful the rewards for doing it is. And it's not a horribly evil act anyway, he's willingly agreed to the fight. It's not like you're killing babies in their sleep or anything.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
There's more than enough opportunities to gain those LS points back before the game is even halfway over. You can ignore it.

Edit: Blast, beaten to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I

Last edited by Emperor Devon; 09-17-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

If you don't want to take DS point for the sidequest. You could always use the Bendak Bounty Rework mod.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
You can also revert to a previous save game and replay a section.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
Weave

...Or you can defect to the almighty weilders of uber-awesomeness (DS, baby)!

Alright, I give... I'm a lighty... anyway...
I usually feel the same way, not wanting to kill Bendak and all...
I fight anyway 'cause the rewards are much better than a couple LS points I can just win back...
To make my gamer conscience as clean as possible... I usually make my character say, "Maybe it is wrong to take a life for just credits,"
Then Ajuur (sp?) tries to convince me that he's a bad dude who needs to die and I'm like, "Yeah, you're right... Let's DO THIS!!!"

so yup... that's just me though... then again... I completely re-skin all the defensive Force Powers in the game so that they're not blue... cause I'm virtually blueophobic. And I up the stats on the HoG crystal so that I don't have to resort to using the MoF crystal for power purposes...
But you probably shouldn't listen to me since I'm obsessive compulsive like that and all... so just get the Bendak Bounty Rework mod that Arátoeldar posted a link for up there...... [/long@$$rant]

Dark Side and Light Side

Weave is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, taking that DS hit is the only way to finish that quest. I would gladly take it. I bit of DS hits and you get a bunch of xp, credits, and I think equipment.

Its like playing LS and deliberately pissing of the Tuskens after finishing all related quests and listening to the story... The good stuff way offsets the bad ones.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

What so wrong with the Darkside, yeah you kill some people, and yes, no one will trust you, and of course your skin will become a little greyish. But is that really such a bad thing, i mean come on.

Go darkside and get a free cookie ^^
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
DarthVandar205

spoiler:

You can also get TWO Bendak Blasters instead of one if you talk to Bendak immediately after killing Twitch without talking to Ajuur the hutt first. After you talk to him and challenge him to the death match THEN talk to Ajuur and set it up and then leave the cantina and come back and talk to him again and the death match is on. Then just beat Bendak (use grenades mostly to end the fight quickly) and then talk to Ajuur to get your reward and then talk to him a second time to get another blaster. I know its a glitch in the game but its worth it. Later you get upgrades to enhance both guns.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Darth krunchy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVandar205 View Post
spoiler:

You can also get TWO Bendak Blasters instead of one if you talk to Bendak immediately after killing Twitch without talking to Ajuur the hutt first. After you talk to him and challenge him to the death match THEN talk to Ajuur and set it up and then leave the cantina and come back and talk to him again and the death match is on. Then just beat Bendak (use grenades mostly to end the fight quickly) and then talk to Ajuur to get your reward and then talk to him a second time to get another blaster. I know its a glitch in the game but its worth it. Later you get upgrades to enhance both guns.
Oooo, cheesy stuff! I might try it next time.
Darth krunchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
GwannaSauna
Rookie

You think that's bad? I can't even remember killing Bendak! Maybe only once I can remember finally killing him, but you're damn lucky defeating all those duelists!

The Dark Side story is better anyway because you get more XP. Plus his pistol goes well with the Zabrak Mark III blaster you recover from that corpse in the Kaskyyyk Shadowlands. Another good combination is Bendak's Blaster + that heavy blaster you can get in the Undercity for 750 credits

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
DarthVandar205

Quote:
You think that's bad? I can't even remember killing Bendak! Maybe only once I can remember finally killing him, but you're damn lucky defeating all those duelists!
Use mostly grenades on Bendak ive found that best to defeat him quickly without any trouble. As far as the other duelists, dont go past Gerlon or Ice before you at least go to the Lower/Undercity and level up quite a bit and get some more gear because the rest are tough even when you are sufficiently leveled up. Good thing is you can do the duel ring up until you visit Davik's Estate so you have plenty of time to get ready for them.

Quote:
The Dark Side story is better anyway because you get more XP. Plus his pistol goes well with the Zabrak Mark III blaster you recover from that corpse in the Kaskyyyk Shadowlands. Another good combination is Bendak's Blaster + that heavy blaster you can get in the Undercity for 750 credits
I tend to the like the darkside story better too. Later in the game (when I actually use blasters) I like to use the Bendak blasters plus the Zabrak Tystel III and that Arkanian blaster you get from the Undercity. Most other ones areint powerful enough to be worth it against the thougher adversaries.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
I beat him without being hit even once last time which surprised the hell out of me. Grenades are probably your best bet once you know he throws them. While he was tossing his plasmas at me, I just ran, threw a thermal detonator, rinsed and repeated with a CryoBan, softened him up more with two plasmas while he was frozen, then ran up and sliced him once before he could swap out to a melee weapon (or does he even use one?)

It's a rather expensive way of killing him in terms of ordnance, but you get all that for free anyway. That, and, the satisfaction of killing Starkiller without a scratch (or melted flesh) is totally worth it if you ask me.
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
Darth krunchy
Rookie

You could just challenge him and never actually fight him. You get the DS points when you actually enter the ring against Bendak.

My diapers have gone over to the dark side.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #17
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Was it necessary to ressurect this topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
You could just challenge him and never actually fight him. You get the DS points when you actually enter the ring against Bendak.
The point is earning EXP. You can't get them that way.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Darth krunchy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
The point is earning EXP. You can't get them that way.
I took the initial post in this thread to mean that he didn't want to challenge Bendak and get the DS points. I didn't see anything about XP.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
DarthVandar205

Fighting Bendak is worth getting the ds points, besides there are MANY chances later in the game to get ls points to augment getting those ds points so its not like youre gonna forever fall to the darkside just by doing that one dark deed.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
This is quite pointless to the game, but if you want to take out Bendak... go for it!

Just realize that the credits have to be worth more than the DS points. If not, don't do it.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
I took the initial post in this thread to mean that he didn't want to challenge Bendak and get the DS points. I didn't see anything about XP.
Thing is that the first post has already been answered, again, again and again. The following posts said that the real advantage on fighting him, even as a darksider, was the experience earned.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
This is quite pointless to the game, but if you want to take out Bendak... go for it!
If it were pointless, it wouldn't be in the game. The word you should use is optional.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #23
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I would find the weaponry you use is a lot compared to the reward for the match. Think of the grenades and shields that would go into defeating him and defending against all his own plasma grenades... it's a lot of credits you have to use to defeat him.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
Darth krunchy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Thing is that the first post has already been answered, again, again and again. The following posts said that the real advantage on fighting him, even as a darksider, was the experience earned.
That's weird, because I haven't seen one reply to the initial post in this thread suggesting to walk away from the fight after challenging Bendak Starkiller. Which is what the initial poster was asking.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
Robb Stark
Rookie

The duelists, at least after Gerlon, can all be kited around the arena keeping them permanently with melee weapon in hand while you run in a giant circle about the edge of the arena, pausing, and shooting once every round with a ranged weapon. Bendak can be killed at level 2 that way, though on the hardest difficulty setting it may take a few reloads because he can one shot you at that level if you get unlucky.
Robb Stark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
When I play on the light side I make all light side choices as well, but this is the one time where I don't worry about it. I hate leaving quests unfinished, so I always challenge and kill Bendak Starkiller. It's not a very big fall from grace, really. (Game mechanically speaking, as far as dark side points go. In the moral sense, who knows where it ranks?)

I did download a mod that someone here made that allows you to spare Starkiller's life at the end of the duel and turn him over to the authorities, which yields light side points; but it hasn't worked for me for some reason. I know I installed it properly.

Ah well. As I said, it's no biggie, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #27
bally3000
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect trilogy (again :3)
i think at quiet alot of points in the game being darkside is so much more fun but i like to do it on the lightside cause it makes me feel better ^^

but i enjoy the game on either light or dark side cause its a great gameeee!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it
bally3000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #28
mattig89ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally3000 View Post
but i enjoy the game on either light or dark side cause its a great gameeee!
What he said
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > On Taris, of KOTOR 1, I accidentally challenged...