lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Atris 10 8.00%
Dorak 2 1.60%
Kavar 41 32.80%
Vandar 26 20.80%
Vash 18 14.40%
Vrook 10 8.00%
Zez-Kai Ell 10 8.00%
Zhar 8 6.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Which Council Member?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #41
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
A belief is supposed to be everlasting and rigid....
I only agree to an extent - you have to be smart enough to realize when your belief is illogical.

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Man.....would you to puhlease get a room.


Oh, come on.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #43
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post

Ummm... that's not what happened. Atris rallied the Jedi on Katarr, to discuss the new threat. In secret, she informed the enemy of this plan so that the Jedi could face the threat head on, and hopefully destroy it once and for all.
The conclave on Katarr was supposed to be SECRET. Atris deliberately defied the Council and the Jedi by revealing that they were meeting there. To put icing on the cake, she didn't go there, herself. She desires authority and power, but is never willing to take any responsibility. Few like these kind of characters and I don't see how anyone would say Atris wasn't evil, greedy, irresponsible, selfish, devious, untrustworthy, or a dark force user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
I only agree to an extent - you have to be smart enough to realize when your belief is illogical.

_EW_
Exactly! Atris should have realized it after everything that has happend, but she didn't.

Last edited by RedHawke; 07-10-2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Combined DP...
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #44
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
The conclave on Katarr was supposed to be SECRET. Atris deliberately defied the Council and the Jedi by revealing that they were meeting there. To put icing on the cake, she didn't go there, herself. She desires authority and power, but is never willing to take any responsibility. Few like these kind of characters and I don't see how anyone would say Atris wasn't evil, greedy, irresponsible, selfish, devious, untrustworthy, or a true sith.
Atris = epitome of evil


Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #45
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
The conclave on Katarr was supposed to be SECRET. Atris deliberately defied the Council and the Jedi by revealing that they were meeting there. To put icing on the cake, she didn't go there, herself. She desires authority and power, but is never willing to take any responsibility. Few like these kind of characters and I don't see how anyone would say Atris wasn't evil, greedy, irresponsible, selfish, devious, untrustworthy, or a true sith.
I wouldn't say it was supposed to be secret, seeing as the original intention was to lure the Sith there in the first place. Okay, so she may have lied, but she didn't defy the council. Lying and defiance are two separate things.

And Atris wasn't a 'true sith' they live in the unknown regions. The only thing she comes to close to being is a regular Sith.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #46
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
And Atris wasn't a 'true sith' they live in the uknown regions. The only thing she comes to close to being is a regular Sith.
That depends on what your definition of 'true sith' is. Yes, I know that they are supposed to live in the Unknown Regions, but it is a little controversial. But that is for another thread.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #47
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
I wouldn't say it was supposed to be secret, seeing as the original intention was to lure the Sith there in the first place. Okay, so she may have lied, but she didn't defy the council. Lying and defiance are two separate things.

And Atris wasn't a 'true sith' they live in the unknown regions. The only thing she comes to close to being is a regular Sith.
Okay... here's the problem: I can understand your logic if you're missing certain things. The conclave WAS secret and Atris did not lie to the Council... she was just deceitful. And the result of her actions resulted in Katarr being destroyed... this is not in dispute.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #48
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Okay... here's the problem: I can understand your logic if you're missing certain things.
I'm not missing 'certain things'. I know perfectly well what I mean.

Quote:
The conclave WAS secret and Atris did not lie to the Council... she was just deceitful.
Secret to the other Jedi, yes. But not to its chief architect, who was... Atris. And deceit is hardly the tool of just the Sith. The Jedi are deceitful when the need arises, such as they were when Revan was retrained, or when they trained Luke to kill Vader.

Quote:
And the result of her actions resulted in Katarr being destroyed... this is not in dispute.
I'm not disputing that it resulted in Katarr's destruction. Where did you get that idea from?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #49
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Luke was trained to kill Vader!?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #50
Burnseyy
Forumite
 
Burnseyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
I'll put it in as few words as possible...

Revan could not have corrupted so many jedi if he just decided to join the sith. It was because he won the Mandalorian War. His followers saw his leadership succeed where the Council would have failed. Even the Mandalorians admit it was Revan that defeated them. The Jedi who followed Revan did so because he earned their respect enough to abandon the Council. It was because they allowed Revan to have a great deed that was worth more than the jedi code.

If the Council took control of the war from the start, there never would have been a civil war. The Council would have had the respect that Revan earned by saving the republic. There is no way to dispute that the Council was where it all the wars started.
i get what you mean... thats actually quite true.
revan and malak would not have had a solid excuse for the Jedi to turn to the dark side, so not as many would have fallen


"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."



Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #51
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
I'm not missing 'certain things'. I know perfectly well what I mean.



Secret to the other Jedi, yes. But not to its chief architect, who was... Atris. And deceit is hardly the tool of just the Sith. The Jedi are deceitful when the need arises, such as they were when Revan was retrained, or when they trained Luke to kill Vader.



I'm not disputing that it resulted in Katarr's destruction. Where did you get that idea from?
NO!!!! It was not secret to the jedi! Kavar knew about it. ZKE knew of it. Vrook knew of it. They all expected Atris was there as well. Atris secretly seduced herself to the darkside, which the Council had forbidden. If all she had done was exposed to the jedi... she would have been exiled without a second thought.

Atris revealed that the jedi were meeting on Katarr so the threat (Darth Nihilus) would reveal themselves. If she had not leaked that information or had gone to Katarr, herself... then I would credit her for her act. Instead she was a coward and left the jedi to be slaughtered.

Atris is not a jedi... her belief in her own superiority was far beyond arrogant.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #52
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite
 
HIGH ON PIE 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fighting for TSCC
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
I'm not missing 'certain things'. I know perfectly well what I mean.



Secret to the other Jedi, yes. But not to its chief architect, who was... Atris. And deceit is hardly the tool of just the Sith. The Jedi are deceitful when the need arises, such as they were when Revan was retrained, or when they trained Luke to kill Vader.



I'm not disputing that it resulted in Katarr's destruction. Where did you get that idea from?

I'm sure what DY meant by "true sith" was that Atris was truely a darksider, not a true sith from the unkown regions. They are another species as most hear on the forum know.

You say that she did not lie to the council. She was as you say, the architect of the plan, but she didn't show up for the final stage of it did she? She left the other jedi on Katarr to die. In this way she did defy the council, because they (talking to ZKE I beleive) beleived Atris had gone to, and died at Katarr. ZKE was of course in on this Katarr lure plot and a member of the council. Therefore, Atris defied the council by not following through on her task and go to Katarr and face the threat. Obviously her orders were to go to Katarr, or why else would everybody think she died there. Instead she locked herself away on her ice hole on Telos.

Yes the jedi use deceit for their own purpose, but in each of the situations you mentioned, the jedi used it for a seemingly good purpose. Leaving your freinds to die on Katarr because you are a manipulating coward does not seem to have a good purpose. As DY said if she had gone to Katarr it would credit her. But telling the sith "heres were the jedi are!" (even if it was part of the plan) and then ducking for cover...almost makes it look like she wanted it to happen. But that is speculation and I won't debate it. Bottom line: Atris is a self-centered, stuck up manipulating, witch, who was a jedi only in name.

~HOP



Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #53
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 View Post
As DY said if she had gone to Katarr it would credit her. But telling the sith "heres were the jedi are!" (even if it was part of the plan) and then ducking for cover...almost makes it look like she wanted it to happen. But that is speculation and I won't debate it. Bottom line: Atris is a self-centered, stuck up manipulating, witch, who was a jedi only in name.

~HOP
Thank-you!

Last edited by Darth_Yuthura; 07-10-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #54
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Agreed. I personally think that Atris was a coward. Bottom-line. She was definately a self-centered witch that was arrogant. I don't really understand why two people voted for her. I think that it just crazy, to tell you the truth. She has her own Jedi Academy, with no Jedi (she wasn't even trying to rebuild the Order), and with a handfull of Echani bodyguards fullfulling her every whim. To me, that is not very Jedi like...all that Atris did was meditate in her locked chambers with a hundred Sith holocrons. I'm really not surprised that she turned to the darkside, personally. I don't think that Atris deserves the title of Jedi, "Guardians of the Peace".


Last edited by Rev7; 07-10-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: wrong smiley tag
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #55
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
NO!!!! It was not secret to the jedi! Kavar knew about it. ZKE knew of it. Vrook knew of it.
I think you've misunderstood what I said. I never said it was a complete secret. But only those jedi who went there, and likely the rest of the council would have been the only ones who knew of it.

But anyway, I think we're going around in circles now. Shall we just agree to disagree?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #56
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
Lying and defiance are two separate things.
Actually, lying is usually but one form of defiance. Also often a sign of contempt. But then so can telling the truth be as well.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #57
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Alright... I am not going to change my opinion about Atris. I have my reasons and those that love her have theirs. It's not like this whole thing is going to accomplish anything.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #58
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well.....I could understand if EW and Inyri picked Kreia. But Atris as a favorite is a bit baffling. Maybe they were sympathy votes....


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #59
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
...But none for Zhar? He deserves them a lot more than Atris, IMO.

Yeah, I really do wonder why they picked her...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #60
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Perhaps one of them could explain. EW does seem to have a thing for Kreia (prominent sig), though.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #61
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite
 
HIGH ON PIE 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fighting for TSCC
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Well.....I could understand if EW and Inyri picked Kreia. But Atris as a favorite is a bit baffling. Maybe they were sympathy votes....
Haha, yeah Kreia I could understand. She manipulates but she has principles and sticks by them, and seems to have valid opinions about issues. She asserts her advice, but does not act self righteous or snotty. I actually admire Kreia's many talents. Maybe they were sympathy votes. Even Vrook I could understand, as much as I dislike him myself, but if you are a dark Revan or Exile, his comments make much more sense. In fact Atris is the only one on the list that I can't find one good thing to say about, other than the fact that she saved jedi holocrons. But that hardly counts seeing as all she did was hoard them in her acadamy.

@Rev: I know, I would have thought Zhar would a get at least two or three just for being a twi'lek.

If Inyri or EW would like to explain their decision...I promise not to bite your head off no matter how much I disagree.



Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #62
Feagildin
Junior Member
 
Feagildin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 311
Current Game: KotOR
My favorite was Vash, I was very disappointed that she died before you could meet with her. (I have obviously not seen the cut content.) I decided this based on what she says in the trial scene.


Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #63
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
You know... it's a good thing that Revan took over during the Mando Wars because they suck at it! Once they were given power, most became corrupted and were no longer jedi.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #64
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite
 
HIGH ON PIE 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fighting for TSCC
Posts: 509
Quite true, though to varying degrees. At least Zez realised his mistake whaen the exile talks to him later and Kavar probably would with a little coaxing. After seeing the cut content, I see that Vash was along the lines of Zez, as far as realizing her mistakes, though, at the exile trial she seemed sympathetic, but too afrasaid to come out and say it. IMHO. Atris and Vrook...well they are another story, though Atris is by far worse. Power corrpts is the moral here I think.

And yes, Its a good thing Revan stepped in, imagine Atris or Vrook trying to inspire loyalty.

-HOP



Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #65
Darth_Yuthura
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,585
Current Game: KOTOR III
Another lesson from the Council was that they were so fixed on the jedi code that they refused to believe everything else was wrong. I couldn't stand Vrook saying "no doubt you still blame us for your exile." YEEES... it's not not like anyone else could override the the Council. How could Vrook and Atris have been so convinced that they were always right? In some ways, they were worse than the sith... at least the sith declared that they were the strongest and dominated over their empire. The Council didn't represent the jedi, only themselves.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #66
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
She has her own Jedi Academy, with no Jedi (she wasn't even trying to rebuild the Order), and with a handfull of Echani bodyguards fullfulling her every whim.
The reason Atris didn't train any Jedi is thrown in the player's face during the game: bringing more Jedi there would attract the attention of Darth Nihilus, automatically meaning that she would be killed. The reason she surrounded herself with the non-force wielding bodyguards was to make herself more difficult for Nihilus to sense.

Quote:
Quite true, though to varying degrees. At least Zez realised his mistake whaen the exile talks to him later and Kavar probably would with a little coaxing. After seeing the cut content, I see that Vash was along the lines of Zez, as far as realizing her mistakes, though, at the exile trial she seemed sympathetic, but too afrasaid to come out and say it. IMHO. Atris and Vrook...well they are another story, though Atris is by far worse. Power corrpts is the moral here I think.
Could someone explain what these "hideous mistakes" the Council made are? Apparently I'm missing a battleship here.

Quote:
were so fixed on the jedi code that they refused to believe everything else was wrong.
I've heard this same ridiculous statement repeated over and over so many times it's not even funny. The Jedi Code is just a set of basic, general guidelines that all Jedi were supposed to follow. What does "fixing on it" mean, and what does it have to do with anything?

Quote:
I couldn't stand Vrook saying "no doubt you still blame us for your exile." YEEES... it's not not like anyone else could override the the Council.
Vrook asked that because he thought the Exile might have actually learned something in ten years.

Quote:
How could Vrook and Atris have been so convinced that they were always right?
Maybe because they actually were right? Vrook, anyway. Atris was a Dark Jedi.

Quote:
In some ways, they were worse than the sith... at least the sith declared that they were the strongest and dominated over their empire. The Council didn't represent the jedi, only themselves.
This part in particular puts the most emphasis on the fact that your case is based solely on Player Character Bias: the idea that "in some ways" (whatever that means), it's better to murder quadrillions of people than do the best you can with the information you have.

Last edited by TKA-001; 08-03-2008 at 06:34 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #67
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Maybe because they actually were right? Vrook, anyway. Atris was a Dark Jedi.
Just because they may have been right to exile the Exile the first time doesn't mean they were right the second time around. Who's the one that hasn't learned anything after all those years this time?


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #68
Melly
Junior Member
 
Melly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fixing things with Bao-Dur...
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
The reason she surrounded herself with the non-force wielding bodyguards was to make herself more difficult for Nihilus to sense.
I, and Kreia, beg to differ:

"You have gathered Sith holocrons, Sith teachings from across the galaxy. It is why you have chosen servants who cannot feel the Force. And most importantly, they cannot feel what you have become."


"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #69
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Could someone explain what these "hideous mistakes" the Council made are? Apparently I'm missing a battleship here.
Your kidding right?

Vrook the council et al; firstly let millions of innocent people die during the Mandalorian Wars - they repeated the mistake the Republic had made prior to this - which was watching and waiting. Eventually the Mandalorians attacked the Republic. The Council split the order, not Revan and Malak - it was the Council who spawned the Jedi Civil War - with the decision not to go to war. They then Exiled the only Jedi not to have fallen to the Dark Side on Revan's forces - what? That is not the action of a forgiving/understanding Council.

They then ran for cover, and when the Exile returned - they then wanted to watch and wait some more so attempted to Exile their only chance to stop Nihilis and Sion - wow what strategic brilliance. The question isn't what mistakes did they make, more when did they ever do anything right?

Also, you may wish to note in TSL Vrook's alignment is 60 - that about says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Vrook asked that because he thought the Exile might have actually learned something in ten years.
What was the Exile meant to learn, most of what had transpired was Vrook's fault.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #70
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Just because they may have been right to exile the Exile the first time doesn't mean they were right the second time around. Who's the one that hasn't learned anything after all those years this time?
Actually, they were right both times. Getting rid of the Exile the second time around was the most logical thing to do, considering what they knew. Sure, the Exile was the only force wielder who could attack Nihilus without being killed instantly, but how were they supposed to know that? Even the Exile her/himself didn't know that until the confrontation onboard the Ravager.

Quote:
"You have gathered Sith holocrons, Sith teachings from across the galaxy. It is why you have chosen servants who cannot feel the Force. And most importantly, they cannot feel what you have become."
Why should Atris care if they figured out "what she became"? Besides, all that proves is that there was more than one reason for the Handmaidens being around.

That aside, the dialogue which you quote is cut, and therefore has no weight on what happened, rather than what might have happened.

Quote:
Vrook the council et al; firstly let millions of innocent people die during the Mandalorian Wars
So if they jumped in immediately, the Mandalorians would have been defeated just as easily? The nuclear warheads on Duro (for example) would have simply not been used? The battle at Malachor, where Revan massacred most of his/her own entire fleet would never have happened?

Why do people seem to think that the Jedi would've made an enormous difference? The only reason the Republic was losing the Mandalorian War was their sickeningly incompetent leadership. Their fleets and armies vastly outnumbered the Mandalorians. The only thing that Revan did to turn the tide was serve as an effective military commander. The fact that he/she and her/his colleagues were Jedi had little to do with it.

Quote:
The Council split the order, not Revan and Malak - it was the Council who spawned the Jedi Civil War - with the decision not to go to war.
Player Character Bias. Nobody on the Council told Revan and her/his band of hooligans to leave for the Mandalorian Wars. They decided to do that on their own. Their only failing in that regard was apparently being unable to teach their Jedi to to actually obey their leaders.

The Council sure as hell did not tell Revan to turn to the dark side and start another war. The Council's mistake there was letting Revan and his/her followers get away with their rebellion. Shouldn't they have sent other Jedi to detain Revan and his/her renegades? Of course, for whatever reason, they didn't do that and what happened afterward is history.

Quote:
They then Exiled the only Jedi not to have fallen to the Dark Side on Revan's forces - what? That is not the action of a forgiving/understanding Council.
They exiled the Exile because he/she was a threat, and certainly a bigger threat than any common Dark Jedi. Also, for the record, they never claimed to be forgiving. It's not their job to forgive the enemy.

Quote:
They then ran for cover, and when the Exile returned
Remember the Conclave on Katarr? When the Jedi showed themselves, Darth Nihilus killed all of them, not to mention everything else on the entire fricking planet. Of course they ran for cover. Anything else would be suicide.

Quote:
they then wanted to watch and wait some more so attempted to Exile their only chance to stop Nihilis and Sion - wow what strategic brilliance.
It worked, didn't it? The Exile killed off the Sith Triumvirate's leadership. Of course, that happened after they were dead, so I suppose that was at best a pyrrhic victory for them. Also, the fact that they died immediately after reuniting on Dantooine shows the futility of doing anything other than waiting for an opportune moment to act.

Quote:
Also, you may wish to note in TSL Vrook's alignment is 60 - that about says it all.
This tidbit of information is what in the military would be called "completely irrelevant".

Quote:
The question isn't what mistakes did they make, more when did they ever do anything right?
Quote:
most of what had transpired was Vrook's fault.
Geeze, you're not even pretending to not be biased toward the Exile/Revan. Saying that the Council was wrong is one thing, but saying that the death toll of the Mandalorian Wars as well as the entire Jedi Civil War was their fault even though Revan is the one who started it is insane.

Last edited by TKA-001; 08-04-2008 at 04:04 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #71
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Even the Exile her/himself didn't know that until the confrontation onboard the Ravager.
You don't know that. You're assuming that, but you don't know that.
Quote:
Sure, the Exile was the only force wielder who could attack Nihilus without being killed instantly, but how were they supposed to know that?
Because they know that Nihilus feeds on the Force, and the Exile lacks the Force. It doesn't take a large leap to go from A to B.
Quote:
Actually, they were right both times. Getting rid of the Exile the second time around was the most logical thing to do, considering what they knew.
What did they know? They knew the Exile had saved Dantooine, Onderon, and Telos. They knew the Exile had united sworn enemies in order to fight a mutual opponent. They knew the Exile had the power to rally armies to their cause, because they had done just that in the Mandalorian Wars, and had emerged victorious. And they knew they had no chance of winning on their own.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #72
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
You don't know that. You're assuming that, but you don't know that.
On the other side, you're assuming that the Exile did know that, even though it is never suggested or implied.

Quote:
Because they know that Nihilus feeds on the Force, and the Exile lacks the Force. It doesn't take a large leap to go from A to B.
Vrook and the others only knew about the Exile. They didn't know anything about Nihilus or the nature of his power except that a concentration of force-wielders in one place draws him to their location. They didn't know he was a wound like the Exile.

Last edited by TKA-001; 08-04-2008 at 05:48 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #73
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
<snip>
Basically your wrong, however I don't think you will be persuaded because I'm apparently biased *sniff sniff* is that irony I smell? Anyway, I can't really be bothered to expand the energy required to reply so instead I'm going to do this;

Read this and then come back, pretty much most of us who discuss TSL have read it - though from your answers I can only deduce you haven't, will do you good; http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/index.html

If you've not realised then that you are in fact incorrect, there is no hope for you



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #74
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
I voted for Kavar. Most of them seemed like douches, but at least Kavar was a badass douche.


Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #75
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Read this and then come back, pretty much most of us who discuss TSL have read it - though from your answers I can only deduce you haven't
For your information, I read that thing several months ago, and I've analyzed numerous parts of it since then. I'm not sure how any of it is supposed to support your argument. It's not evidence of anything; just another person's interpretation, analysis, and opinion.

Quote:
Basically your wrong, however I don't think you will be persuaded because I'm apparently biased *sniff sniff* is that irony I smell?
Quote:
If you've not realised then that you are in fact incorrect, there is no hope for you

Translation: I'm a smug, egotistical jackass who for whatever reason can't actually defend my own argument. Therefore, instead of being convenient for all parties involved and staying out of the debate which I don't even want to participate in, I'll link to some other person's opinion and try to pass it off as indisputable proof of my opponent being "incorrect" even though we're trying to document our opinions, not prove each other "wrong". Addendum: For good measure, I'll mock my opponent with infuriating self-righteousness by implying that he is an ignorant simpleton for not reading the "evidence" which I linked to (even though it's entirely possible that he already has), and furthermore, if it does not change his opinion, then "there is no hope for him." Conclusion: I no longer wish to participate in this argument, but I refuse to let him "win."

Last edited by TKA-001; 09-17-2008 at 03:20 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #76
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Translation: I'm a particularly smug organic who for whatever reason can't actually defend my own argument. Therefore, instead of being convenient for all parties involved and staying out of the debate which I don't even want to participate in, I'll link to some other person's opinion and try to pass it off as indisputable proof of my opponent being "incorrect" even though we're trying to document our opinions, not prove each other "wrong". Addendum: For good measure, I'll mock my opponent with infuriating self-righteousness by implying that he is an ignorant simpleton for not reading the "evidence" which I linked to (even though it's entirely possible that he already has), and furthermore, if it does not change his opinion, then "there is no hope for him." Conclusion: I no longer wish to participate in this argument, but I refuse to let him "win."[/COLOR]
*Sigh*

No it's like this; some of us have this thing called real life and don't consider a petty squabble over KotOR 2 to be particularly important; If you wish to think you have won, or that you are more intelligent than me, go right ahead I'm really not bothered, nor am I overly bothered about if you change your mind over K2 or not. I was nearly not bothered enough to respond.

However, its J7 story time - a history lesson what fun! - How it is pertinent I leave you to figure out.

One day in the Sudan, there was a devout Muslim worshipper and he had a vision from the prophet Muhammed - that he was the The Mahdi (the chosen one basically) and that he should be allowed to pray in all of Islam's mosques and that Islam should be united, and recognize him as the Mahdi. Anyone who did not do this would be killed.

His rebellion grew - he wanted to throw the Egyptians out of the Sudan - the British sent a guy called General Gordon to try and stop this - Gordon heroically snuck into the Mahdi's tent and tried to negotiate - the Mahdi was cordial but said he was going to get the Egyptians out, and that the streets of Khartoum would run with the blood of his enemies. The British tried to avoid military engagement and did everything they could to get Gordon out; Gordon being an honourable chap refused to leave the Civilians of Khartoum to their death - it cost him his life; as well as pretty much everyone in Khartoum being killed. When the British finally acted - they arrived two days late. The Mahdi later died of typhus, and the British stopped his uprising, killing lots and lots of people, while famine ravaged the land and to this day Sudan, still suffers from many of the problems from back then. - Inaction serves no-one; especially against reckless aggression, by an enemy who doesn't care who or what he does to acheive their objective; the longer you leave it the stronger your enemy gets, the more innocent people die, and the ramifications of the above gets worse and worse, and lasts for a longer period of time.

*Note this was a simplified version.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #77
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
Wow, this thread rapidly descended into melodramatic. Nobody really cares about my opinion about these matters, but I'd like to suggest that it be locked.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #78
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
In an effort to put this thread back on track, I voted for Vash because of her views and her treatment of the Exile in the cut content.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #79
Burnseyy
Forumite
 
Burnseyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
In an effort to put this thread back on track, I voted for Vash because of her views and her treatment of the Exile in the cut content.
I've seen some of the cut content, but not the one about Vash. Where would I look to find it?


"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."



Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #80
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnseyy View Post
I've seen some of the cut content, but not the one about Vash. Where would I look to find it?
You may find this; http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/KOTOR%...041/index.html

You may want to download this too; http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filef...Vash_Mod;81631 - Excellent mod by Sikon, one of the best around!



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Which Council Member?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.