lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #201
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
The tactics system is pretty useless to be honest. Doesn't matter how you have it set up, you really have to micromanage everything regardless.
and that's exactly what i don't like to do with most games. its fun with a good number of strategy games, but this isn't what i would call a strategy game.

and its not that its an RPG, and i'm not used to it or whatever. i've played a number of RPG's in the past, and i've never had to deal with this much micromanaging during combat. it does, however, remind me how much i prefer games that don't rely on a dice roll to determine if you've actually hit somebody or not.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #202
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Sounds like you want an action RPG then. I've heard Torchlight is pretty good on that front. Or there's Mass Effect 2 next year.

As far as dice rolls go, well all games boil down to probability calculations eventually. Talk of dice rolls is a legacy of the pen and paper systems like D&D. Dragon Age doesn't have dice rolls as such. In fact, its mechanics are frustratingly obscured (for those of us who like to know exactly how things work under the hood).
DarthParametric is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #203
Parmenides
Rookie

Heh, too much like baldur's gate. There is too much probability (call it dice rolling or not). Come to think of, other than the fact that you don't have to worry about "saving your good spells" this seems not much different than Baldur's Gate.

If you want 'RPG' action with minimal dice rolling pick up Mount & Blade. Best combat system ever.

Btw, is dragon age hurting your sleep schedule? Mine is getting hammered. My body isn't made for average 4-5 hour sleep.

edit....
One more thing. If you really like Baldur's gate and you really liked NWN and you really liked KOTOR, then there is no conceivable way that you would regret getting this game. (Unless you regret killing too many hours on a game).

Last edited by Parmenides; 11-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Parmenides is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #204
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Heh, it has definitely hurt my sleep schedule. Fortunately, now that I've finished the game it is slowly returning to normal. I'm almost afraid to consider a second playthrough, but even if or when I decide to do it, it will definitely involve some cheating - I can't play a RPG fair and square more than once.

igyman is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #205
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
Sounds like you want an action RPG then. I've heard Torchlight is pretty good on that front. Or there's Mass Effect 2 next year.

As far as dice rolls go, well all games boil down to probability calculations eventually. Talk of dice rolls is a legacy of the pen and paper systems like D&D. Dragon Age doesn't have dice rolls as such. In fact, its mechanics are frustratingly obscured (for those of us who like to know exactly how things work under the hood).
see, that's just the thing. i didn't have this problem with either of the KotOR games or NWN2 (which obviously aren't action based) unless i cranked the difficulty up to Hard (particularly in NWN2 since that allowed the computer to score Critical Hits on your PC/party members).

i guess that part of it is that i haven't played very many RPG's like this in the past, but even then, i just haven't had to deal with this much micromanagement in an RPG before especially considering that i'm playing it on the 'Normal' difficulty setting.

and call it what you like, but it still feels like a dice roll when my PC misses every attack on an enemy that i've either knocked down or stunned.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #206
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.
Quote:

On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #207
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I'm getting frustrated with the battles now. I don't mind dying once a day or so, but I'm walking around and getting killed on random encounters and other off-quest areas, that's what's annoying. I think the difficulty still needs some serious tweaking.

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #208
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.
Yes yes, it is quite exceptional, which is surprising, given my distaste for others that use the same formulae. I've never really found the combat to get tiresome after some period of time, which is a feat on its own, since the whole game is essentially one multi-layered dungeon crawl. The pseudo-Western/steampunk-fantasy art direction also seems to add a deal of longevity to it, particularly the music.

The graphics are quite good and the engine is optimized and flexible enough to run a netbook and still look quite good. Not to mention, it uses the open-source OGRE3D engine, so it can be modded up the yazoo...
jrrtoken is offline   you may:
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #209
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm still on my first playthrough - 39 Hours so far (Got 2 of the 4 factions recruited, almost got 3rd). Haven't encountered a single bug or glitch. I'm also playing on Easy (not a hardcore RPG guy).

I'm pleasantly suprised at how much I like it.
swphreak is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #210
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze.
Yeah there is a serious memory leak. They are aware of it, but who knows when it will get patched. At present, you have to quit and restart the game every 40-60 mins or so, depending on the number of area transitions you are doing.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #211
Rake
Rookie

Quote:
I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.
Do you have a 9400, 9500, or 9600 series Phenom?
Rake is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #212
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've got an Opteron and am getting crashes and slowdowns. AMD problem perhaps?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #213
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
No, I am actually playing on my laptop as that is my main gaming machine these days, so I have an Nvidia 8600gt. So I shouldn't be too surprised at the less than stellar performance but the crashed are terrible, and yeah I have noticed that the game gets way more choppy the longer I play.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #214
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I've noticed 3 or 4 bugs so far, and had one crash in Redcliffe right after the first zombie wave. Probably had a couple more crashes, but I can't remember. In any case, it isn't too serious.

One bug I remember distinctly was with Sten's nightmare, in the Fade. Right after killing the other two qunari, I talked to Sten instead of walking over to their corpses to trigger the next dialogue. Instead, the earlier dialogue played again, complete with resurrected qunari models. Things were back to before when the dialogue ended, though.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 AM   #215
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
No, I am actually playing on my laptop as that is my main gaming machine these days, so I have an Nvidia 8600gt.
Kyp was referring to the CPU, not GPU. If you are using a laptop though chances are you are running an Intel CPU (Core2Duo or the like).
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #216
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Just finished my first playthrough and went back to get
spoiler:
the endings for killing the archdemon yourself and Alistair killing it, and I kind of liked the one where you kill it yourself, despite the whole having to die thing. I'll have to **** Morrigan on my next playthrough so she can have her demonbaby or whatever and spare Alistair and I.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #217
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.
Had the same problem last night....just insane loading times...mine happened in Ozzemar, maybe your insane loading times/crashes happened there too?

Anyways, Alistair beheaded a dragon. A dragon. There was blood. Much blood. Makes the +/- scale tip into 'Awesome.'

Ztalker is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #218
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Had the same problem last night....just insane loading times...mine happened in Ozzemar, maybe your insane loading times/crashes happened there too?
Yeah, Orzammar took forever to load for me as well - it might be because it's underground, so there's more to load, but I don't see how - it didn't take a long time to load during the origin story.

Astor is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #219
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
Yeah, Orzammar took forever to load for me as well - it might be because it's underground, so there's more to load, but I don't see how - it didn't take a long time to load during the origin story.
Yeah, I thought about that too. There's a pretty big draw distance underground there....but what class do you play? I'm planning to be a Dwarf on second playthrough...any tips?

Old 11-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #220
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Yeah, I thought about that too. There's a pretty big draw distance underground there....but what class do you play? I'm planning to be a Dwarf on second playthrough...any tips?
I've only played through the origin as a Noble warrior, but it was pretty good - the Dwarven Noble origin seems a little longer than some of the others, but I really enjoyed it. I#ll probably go and pick that up once i've finished the game as a human.

I'm a bit surprised that Bioware devoted such a large amount of time to Dwarves, and although they're a bit stereotypical, and it felt like a bit of a slog, I thought that Orzammar and beyond was a great quest.

Astor is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #221
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I played dwarf noble first and human mage second. The mage origin seemed very short by comparison. I'm not sure if that was just because I'd already finished the game once and was thus familiar with everything and didn't stop to smell the roses (so to speak), or if it is genuinely shorter.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #222
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

well, i may not be a big fan of the combat system, but the game is getting good. i finally got to fight my first dragon, and while challenging, the end result of watching my character lop its head off was amazing. the game does have its moments, and it is more than enjoyable in most regards.

as far as the game goes, it does have some loooonnnnngggg load times, but i'm not having any other issues otherwise. no crashes or major instability issues for me.

my system:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
ATI Radeon 5850
4GB RAM
WD 640GB Caviar Black HD
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Last edited by stingerhs; 11-13-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #223
Rake
Rookie

I know for me, personally, there was a problem with dragon age and my phenom. After browsing the bioware forums for a time, someone came out with an outside fix that stopped the freezing and drastically reduced the load times to mostly <30 seconds.
Rake is offline   you may:
Old 11-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #224
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Hmm, I don't know. I have 2 GB of RAM, a Phenom X4 9950 and I haven't encountered any problems. The load times are usually around 5-10 seconds, not too bad. The loading screen isn't weary to look at either.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #225
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

Ahahaha, I just had my hero "visit" Morrigan in her tent. She was in her undies, but the hero was in full juggernaut armor. It was pretty funny.

I haven't had any slow downs or choppyness. Once in a while, I'll get a long load time, but I think that's because the game is trying to load and then autosave at the same time or something.

My system:
Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz
GeForce 8800 GTX
2GB RAM
XP Pro

Edit: I just had my first crash. I alt-tabbed and did some stuff. When I alt-tabbed back, it crashed. Never happened before.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #226
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Current Game: Skyrim
The game has been running pretty smoothly for me. I've had a couple of crashes, but that's not too bad in about 80 hours of play. At least it just quits and hasn't frozen my whole system as The Witcher tends to do. The load times do increase when I play for long stretches, but restarting the game every 2-3 hours seems to be adequate. I did have a problem when I patched to version 1.1. The game refused to start and I had to reinstall. I decided to skip the 1.1 patch for now. Has anyone else installed the patch?

system:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+
NVidia GeForce 8200
4 GB Ram
XP Pro sp3

Update: Someone found a fix for the non-start problem with the the patch. Here is the thread, if anyone else needs it.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade

Last edited by Laar_Dha; 11-13-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update
Laar_Dha is offline   you may:
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #227
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

51 Hours. I think that's the longest I've ever played a game on a single playthrough. The epilogue was alright I guess. I woudn't have minded a more cinematic ending.

I guess we'll find out what happens with Morrigan in Dragon Age 2? Or maybe DLC.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #228
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Dang...just had a major let-down...regarding a boss.

spoiler:
The Brood Mother? Apparantly the only way to beat her is to use coward tactics :s I went all out attacking the tentacles in melee, supported by Morrigan and Wynn for healing. I got killed when the Broodmother was about 50% EVERY time.

I then saw 2 little hints in the loading screens (or read it elsewhere)...something about 'equip your characters with melee AND ranged weapons, you never know what can happen.

You go and stand on a stone (where the tentacles can't reach you) and shoot arrows and standard attacks at the tentacles, and after that, the broodmother.

No sweat. Easy as HELL. Compared to the dragon battle, this was WAY too easy once you read a frickin loading screen. Kind of a let-down.

Anyone manage to kill her in melee? I'm playing on normal btw.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #229
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:

I guess the lesson here is "Don't bring a sword to a bow fight"

Some enemies have weaknesses and immunities, so it's usually a good idea to change tactics depending on what you fight. Some fights in Dragon Are are nearly impossible if just charging in head-on.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 11-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #230
Jeff

I am pretty frustrated as unless someone comes up with a solution or it decides to fix itself, I have hit a game breaking issue. This is basically a spoiler unless you've beaten the game or are very close as I am apparently on the 2nd last major quest in the game.
spoiler:
The dialog right after you duel Loghain at the landsmeet starts out fine, but the first time Alistair speaks, the framerate drops dramatically (like less than 1fps) until eventually it freezes completely. I have played this part (and the combat beforehand) 8 times now and not been able to get past it. I've tried loading a previous save, and even changed how I did things, the first 6 times Anora did not side with me at the landsmeet but the most recent times, I got her to side with me and it made no change.

Maddening.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #231
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Hrmm...odd Jeff. Not sure why you'd be getting that. The game is buggy as hell though - at least for some people. You could post a savegame and someone else could see if they get the same issue and, if not, get you past that cutscene.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #232
igyman
Tension!

Quote:

spoiler:
The Brood Mother? Apparantly the only way to beat her is to use coward tactics :s I went all out attacking the tentacles in melee, supported by Morrigan and Wynn for healing. I got killed when the Broodmother was about 50% EVERY time.

I then saw 2 little hints in the loading screens (or read it elsewhere)...something about 'equip your characters with melee AND ranged weapons, you never know what can happen.

You go and stand on a stone (where the tentacles can't reach you) and shoot arrows and standard attacks at the tentacles, and after that, the broodmother.

No sweat. Easy as HELL. Compared to the dragon battle, this was WAY too easy once you read a frickin loading screen. Kind of a let-down.

Yes. Mind you, I did have to run around so as not to get killed like the rest of my party a few times and be extremely quick at refilling my health.

Quote:
I am pretty frustrated as unless someone comes up with a solution or it decides to fix itself, I have hit a game breaking issue. This is basically a spoiler unless you've beaten the game or are very close as I am apparently on the 2nd last major quest in the game.
spoiler:
The dialog right after you duel Loghain at the landsmeet starts out fine, but the first time Alistair speaks, the framerate drops dramatically (like less than 1fps) until eventually it freezes completely. I have played this part (and the combat beforehand) 8 times now and not been able to get past it. I've tried loading a previous save, and even changed how I did things, the first 6 times Anora did not side with me at the landsmeet but the most recent times, I got her to side with me and it made no change.

Maddening.
Strange. The game works just fine for me. In the last ten days it only crashed once. No choppy performance, frame-rate drops or anything.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #233
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Some enemies have weaknesses and immunities, so it's usually a good idea to change tactics depending on what you fight. Some fights in Dragon Are are nearly impossible if just charging in head-on.
I'm too hard headed. I bash and bash some more until I die.

Yes, Ztalker I've killed her twice with melee. Thank the Maker for Wynne's special talents. With Starfang and the proper enchantments I've been able to bash pretty much anything that has gotten in my way. It does help having Wynne keeping my PC alive.

Finished as a Nobel female Rogue Human. Way more fun than a Warrior, at least to me.

mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #234
igyman
Tension!

I'm playing as a Male Human (Noble) Rogue right now and there is one very convenient advantage to playing as a rogue - I can unlock all the chests myself, which will eventually enable me to finish the "Correspondence Interruptus" quest.

On another note, Shale turned out to be a very cool and entertaining character. Its personality kind of reminds me of HK-47, especially the part where it finds flesh creatures squishy. Also, its bird "thing" is a gem in and of itself.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #235
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
On another note, Shale turned out to be a very cool and entertaining character. Its personality kind of reminds me of HK-47, especially the part where it finds flesh creatures squishy. Also, its bird "thing" is a gem in and of itself.
Completely agree, Shale was a pleasant surprise. A must on the Deep Roads quest. Shale has one of the better companion side quest and offers some much needed comic relief. Also Shale is pretty handy in a fight.

Did the Mage origins story, my least favorite of them all (so far), but it did give me some background into a certain NPC that I will see later in the game. My PC will not be as forgiving to him as my last two PCs were.

mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #236
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Beat the game today, amazing game. Probably one of my favorites next to KOTOR and Morrowind/Oblivion. There were small things here and there I didn't like about it, but overall it was one of the most solid games I've played in a long time.

PS
spoiler:
Enchantment?
Nedak is offline   you may:
Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #237
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedak View Post
PS
spoiler:
Enchantment?
Bwahahaha....that guy is so awesome! One of the cooler characters I've encountered.
And yeah, next playthrough I'm taking Shale as a tank...I truly love his
spoiler:
Bird thing. He curbstomped a chicken!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #238
Jeff

Quote:
Hrmm...odd Jeff. Not sure why you'd be getting that. The game is buggy as hell though - at least for some people. You could post a savegame and someone else could see if they get the same issue and, if not, get you past that cutscene.
I actually got past that part last night but just barely. I had to change the resolution to 800x600, all graphics to lowest possible settings, I even turned Windows 7's interface to Windows classic and I was pressing esc like mad when NPCs would talk to get through it as fast as possible. Ended up working, but it's ridiculous that it took that much effort and so many tries (ended up going through that part over 10 times before I got through).

So I was like yay I can finally beat the game, only to have it freeze halfway through the fight with the archdemon.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #239
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Bwahahaha....that guy is so awesome! One of the cooler characters I've encountered.
And yeah, next playthrough I'm taking Shale as a tank...I truly love his
spoiler:
Bird thing. He curbstomped a chicken!
I think you mean
spoiler:
her bird thing (bring her with you to find the Anvil of the Void/the dwarf quests).

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #240
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter View Post
I think you mean
spoiler:
her bird thing (bring her with you to find the Anvil of the Void/the dwarf quests).
spoiler:
Or don't bring it with you and simply talk to it in camp after the Anvil to activate its companion quest.

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age

Tags
bioware, dragon age, game