lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #241
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
You can do it either way, but you get way more information without bribes (presents) if you just take Shale with you. I would not have known what jmac was talking about in his post had I not taken Shale with my PC.

mimartin is online now   you may:
Old 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #242
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
spoiler:
Or don't bring it with you and simply talk to it in camp after the Anvil to activate its companion quest.
Haven't done it yet...didn't have the time this week... will do tomorrow!

Ztalker is offline   you may:
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #243
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Just completed my first playthrough - pretty awesome ending, and it was nice to see what happens to all the areas you visited throughout the game.

I think i'll try a mage this time, completely opposite to my warrior, and actually download Shale for some extra oomph.

Astor is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #244
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
Just completed my first playthrough - pretty awesome ending, and it was nice to see what happens to all the areas you visited throughout the game.

I think i'll try a mage this time, completely opposite to my warrior, and actually download Shale for some extra oomph.
Shale can be used as a tank or a DPS...and he has very, very high constitution. Makes healing far more easier when he doesn't go down easily.

Anyway, what's your guys favourite party set-up?
-PC: Warrior DPS (dual wielding)
-Allistair: Tank
-Morrigan: Ranged support
-Wynn: Healer

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #245
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Err, how many of you here have tried out the homosexual relationships on their first playthrough?
>_>

<_<

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #246
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Well, on my first playthrough it was definitely:
Dual Wielding Warrior PC
Wynne: Ranged/Healer
Leliana: Single meele weapon (needed her for lockpicking more than anything else)
Sten: Two-handed OR Shale OR Oghren: Two-handed

Now on my second playthrough I can pick favorites more than choosing usefullness, since I'm not playing entirely fair and that means Shale goes almost always and the rest switch around.

igyman is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #247
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think a good party balance would be 2 mages, 1 sword & shield warrior, 1 2h warrior or dual wield rogue.

Lockpicking is pretty pointless as the loot in locked chests is almost universally crap. I think 90% of chests must have worthless daggers. There are one or two locked chests that contain gifts for NPCs and one or two doors to "treasure" rooms, but nothing you'll ever miss. That means you can either leave out a rogue altogether, or if you do take one spend the talent points in much more useful areas.

For mages, I think the Repulsion Hex is an extremely handy spell when you can position the party at choke points like doorways. Couple it with Grease, Fireball, and maybe an Earthquake, then whip out the Cone of Cold for anyone that gets past. It's also worth having a couple of single target spells for cramping the style of enemy mages like Petrify, Paralysis, Crushing Prison, etc.

I'm still kind of mixed on the best path for damage dealers. I played a 2h warrior my first run through. While they can hit hard, they are so slooooow. I think I'll try a dual weilding rogue next playthrough.
DarthParametric is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #248
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Err, how many of you here have tried out the homosexual relationships on their first playthrough?
Not only homosexual, but an interspecies fling, my female elf and Leliana heated up the camp fire. It is the shoes man, you have to get the shoes!

Who cares what is in the chest, it is the experience for opening the thing I want. The experience for chest and traps is the reasons I consider a rogue a must.

1st Playthrough I used them all, but my main group was:
PC – Dual Wielding Warrior
Morrigan: Mage and Smart Ass Comments
Wynn: Mage/Healer and Motherly Advice
Leliana: Rogue and Locks/Traps plus Camp Warmer.

2nd Playthrough
PC – Dual Wielding Rogue
Morrigan: Same as before
Wynn: Same as before
Allistair: Warrior/whiner (camp fizzler)

3rd Playthrough (in process)
PC – Mage
Morrigan: This time adding Camp Warmer to her resume.
Leliana: Same as before, but want to see a possible cat fight too
Wynn: Same old same

Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #249
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Lockpicking is pretty pointless as the loot in locked chests is almost universally crap.
While not strictly necessary a rogue can still be pretty handy. All that crap loot from locked containers does add up to a fair amount of gold if you sell it to merchants. And you get around 40-50 XP every time you unlock a door or chest, or disarm a trap, which makes you level up your guys a bit quicker.

I'm using Leliana for that purpose and have her equipped with a bow and made her learn that annoying, seemingly unavoidable AoE stun skill (Scattershot?) that enemy archers love to spam your party with. Bows do pretty decent damage it seems, she almost has the same damage percentage as the warriors in the group (though my mage PC still has over 50% of the damage output herself).

mt
stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #250
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not only homosexual, but an interspecies fling, my female elf and Leliana heated up the camp fire. It is the shoes man, you have to get the shoes!
Nowhere near as hot as my Dwarf doing it with Zevran. >_>

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #251
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Zevran scares me, I'm afraid to turn my back on him. I’m afraid I’d find one of those “worthless daggers” stuck in my back.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #252
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Heh well, I definitely did the interracial thing with my male Dalish elf and Leliana, Morrigan and every girl from the Pearl. Yup, the ladies just couldn't resist my elf and his pointy... ears.

Quote:
Holy shi--!

Quote:
Who cares what is in the chest, it is the experience for opening the thing I want. The experience for chest and traps is the reasons I consider a rogue a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
All that crap loot from locked containers does add up to a fair amount of gold if you sell it to merchants.
Precisely. There were good weapons, or some quest related items here and there, but most of the other stuff simply got me a fair amount of money at the nearest merchant. The experience gain doesn't hurt either.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #253
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Zevran scares me, I'm afraid to turn my back on him. I’m afraid I’d find one of those “worthless daggers” stuck in my back.
He and Shale have way better smart ass comments than Morrigan though.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #254
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
That and his story about how he loves leather were dead give-aways huh?
Seriously...a homosexual elf assassin and a retarded dwarf enchanter...Bioware does a fine job!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #255
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Dang...just had a major let-down...regarding a boss.

spoiler:
The Brood Mother? Apparantly the only way to beat her is to use coward tactics :s I went all out attacking the tentacles in melee, supported by Morrigan and Wynn for healing. I got killed when the Broodmother was about 50% EVERY time.

I then saw 2 little hints in the loading screens (or read it elsewhere)...something about 'equip your characters with melee AND ranged weapons, you never know what can happen.

You go and stand on a stone (where the tentacles can't reach you) and shoot arrows and standard attacks at the tentacles, and after that, the broodmother.

No sweat. Easy as HELL. Compared to the dragon battle, this was WAY too easy once you read a frickin loading screen. Kind of a let-down.

Anyone manage to kill her in melee? I'm playing on normal btw.
Yep

spoiler:
My party was all knocked out and it was me VS the Broodmother and her horde. Suffice it to say, I did not think I would win, but many health pots later and I finally beat her with my Human Noble Warrior. Tough fight, but possible with lots of health pots. I am playing on easy, though.

Just beat the final boss. Kick ass. Though... a bit disappointing at the same time. It was a cool fight, but a bit easy considering how powerful the Big Bad is supposed to be. Most of the sub bosses were just as hard if not harder...

Ah well. Still awesome.

Time for another playthrough!

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #256
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Finished the game today...

spoiler:
What an ending for me...Morrigan sacrificing her/my child...Ferelden uniting behind king Alistair. Very cool...now playing city elf rogue...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #257
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Whoa! I was pursuing a romance with Liliana and she

spoiler:
burst into song!

I wasn't expecting that. It was a really cool moment, I thought.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may:
Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #258
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
Whoa! I was pursuing a romance with Liliana and she [...]
I dunno, I found that pretty cringe-worthy myself. I found both the Leliana and Morrigan romances fairly underwhelming. Kind of makes me wonder what exactly David Gaider has been doing for the last 6 years.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #259
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:

spoiler:
burst into song!

Quote:
I dunno, I found that pretty cringe-worthy myself. I found both the Leliana and Morrigan romances fairly underwhelming. Kind of makes me wonder what exactly David Gaider has been doing for the last 6 years.
I found both of them quit good actually...although I didn't go all the way with Liliana. I did hear moest of her (very good written) background though.
And for Morrigan...my ending was very sad because of her:

spoiler:
Sacrificing herself, her (mine) unborn child to save the PC. My PC became an advisor to King Alistair and ruled the country somewhat, because Alistair wasn't that capable. Alistair did put a mage (Wynn), a dwarf (Ohgren; only staying for the booze) and elf (the one from the alienage) on top positions as his advisors too. Alistair became known as 'King of the people.'
My PC roamed the land though...searching for Morrigan...and the fellowship eventually fell apart. You can't tell me that's bad writing I was...well...moved?

I don wonder what will happen in my Dragon Age 2 though. With the Morrigan ending...it smells like Baldurs gate...
spoiler:
Someone absorbing evil powers, eventually being corrupted by it

Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #260
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
spoiler:
burst into song!

Pretty unexpected.

Though unless there is more than one such occasion in the game I don't think it's related to any romance plot. She did that for me when returning to camp after solving the Dalish plot part, and my female PC wasn't in any romantic relation with Leliana. (Though I did have +100% Friendly approval with her at the time.)

The lip sync did leave something to desire in that scene though. The characters look very weird when they open the mouth too much in DA, generally.

Quote:
underwhelming
Sums up the conclusion of the Alistair romance arc at the Landsmeet unless you go for a single path through that scenario, to put it mildly. Every other option ends in misery.

mt
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #261
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
My character had a fun night with Morrigan, now I'll try go for the elf
He's a bit odd though... leather feetish and stuff

Though I wonder if Bioware made the same sort of scene if the "dudes" are doing it. Why didn't Fow news explode about this gritty blood sex infested game I wonder...
Quote:
Though unless there is more than one such occasion in the game I don't think it's related to any romance plot. She did that for me when returning to camp after solving the Dalish plot part, and my female PC wasn't in any romantic relation with Leliana. (Though I did have +100% Friendly approval with her at the time.)

The lip sync did leave something to desire in that scene though. The characters look very weird when they open the mouth too much in DA, generally.
Yup had that scene as well, after finished the large quest with the Dalish elfs. I don't find a bad idea, though it looked more comical really.
Your in the middle of the wilds and it sounds as if she's in a church or something... it also gave me a sort of Disney feeling. >_>

Bit of a mixed bag really. So far I've been enjoying the banter of my fellow party members, best so far is the golem Shales.
And somehow I enjoy Alistair.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may:
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #262
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
My character had a fun night with Morrigan, now I'll try go for the elf
He's a bit odd though... leather feetish and stuff
whips and chains and such too, i believe

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #263
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Hahaha, lets hope they made some village people outfits!

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may:
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #264
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Sums up the conclusion of the Alistair romance arc at the Landsmeet unless you go for a single path through that scenario, to put it mildly. Every other option ends in misery.
Just like real life.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #265
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
The lip sync did leave something to desire in that scene though.
Speaking of lip synching, I had a pretty hilarious incident at the start of my 2nd playthrough. A still doesn't do it justice, but Leliana was stuck in the following pose throughout the entire conversation:

Old 11-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #266
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I had her stuck in that same pose, but she was also on fire at the time. I really wanted to end the conversation quickly before she became a charred corpse. Teach me not to use my mage powers with innocents around.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #267
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I had her stuck in that same pose, but she was also on fire at the time. I really wanted to end the conversation quickly before she became a charred corpse. Teach me not to use my mage powers with innocents around.
Burn baby burn...Disco Inferno? With a drunken Dwarf, homosexual Assassin, Ornithophobic Golem, lesbian bard, sarcastic bastard (literally) ,
spoiler:
Dead
mage and dry-witted sadistic apostate. Fun times.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #268
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
i believe zevran would be classified as pansexual

the dude would **** an oil derrick

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #269
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Leliana was stuck in the following pose throughout the entire conversation:

Never happened to me, but it sure looks hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter View Post
i believe zevran would be classified as pansexual

the dude would **** an oil derrick
That he would.

Anyway, finished my second playthrough as a human noble rogue (what a combo). The resolution as to the PC's brother was pretty dumb.
spoiler:
Hey bro, glad you're OK! Me? I slept through the whole thing.

Still, the important thing is that with a human character I got to
spoiler:
become king by marrying Anora. Badass, ooooh yeah.

For the third time (I must be crazy to be replaying it again with no break) I decided to try the mage, an elf like my first character, 'cause elves are much more interesting. I'll probably be as evil as possible this time, with a few exceptions.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #270
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Just encountered the strangest (or stupidest?) bug ever...maybe someone can help me?

spoiler:
I finished the DA: Journeys game that gives you three new items for the game. However, when I started a new game with a dwarf, only the helm was there.
Needless to say, as a dwarf noble, you get imprisoned and you lose all your equipment. Including the UBER helmet!
Where are the other two items and where is my helmet?

Meh...back to my City Elf Rogue then...

Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 AM   #271
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Just encountered the strangest (or stupidest?) bug ever...maybe someone can help me?
A lot of the DLC bonus items don't show up straight away or you have to buy them (!!) from merchants. They possibly took that Origin's ending into account, so there's a chance you may encounter it again later in the game when you run into an old friend who's now a merchant in Denerim, or when you return home. Worth a look. The other option is to not install any of the bonus items until after the Origin is finished, or deactivate the item/s in the DLC screen, load and resave, then activate again.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 12-01-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #272
Mr Roboto
Rookie

That's actually a confirmed bug with the dwarf noble. The official workaround is to do what DarthParametric said. Disable the dlc. Resume the game and ignore the warning. Save it. Re-enable the dlc and resume your game again.
Mr Roboto is offline   you may:
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #273
stoffe
Mostly dormant

The DLC overall seems to be somewhat unstable. Have had a weird incident with the Stone Prisoner twice now where Shale lose all dialog/quest progress. So if you speak with her while she's in your party (or in camp) you'll warp outside the map (unless you're on Honnleath) and get the first "Activate the golem" conversation instead of the regular greeting.

Managed to fix the dialog the first time it happened by using the console to re-set the plot progress variables, head back to Honnleath and go through the Shale recruit sequence again (even though she was already in my party). It has happened again though and since I'm on the endgame railroad track I can't go back there to fix it again. I just hope this doesn't mess up the ending.

Both times this has happened party members have had equipped DLC-related items unequipped (or perhaps removed and then re-created in inventory) as well. So I'm guessing it might have something to do with that annoying online authentication of DLC content misfiring on occasion.

mt
Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #274
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yes, there's certainly a distinct lack of polish in the PC version, which makes you wonder what exactly they were doing for the 6 or 7 months it was delayed - time they reportedly spent polishing....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #275
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
The DLC overall seems to be somewhat unstable. Have had a weird incident with the Stone Prisoner twice now where Shale lose all dialog/quest progress. So if you speak with her while she's in your party (or in camp) you'll warp outside the map (unless you're on Honnleath) and get the first "Activate the golem" conversation instead of the regular greeting.
Can't say, really. The game has worked perfectly on my PC so far, I haven't even patched it to v1.01. I do know they're preparing a 1.02 patch that's supposed to fix a lot of bugs, but I don't know anything about when it'll be released.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #276
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Burn baby burn...Disco Inferno? With a drunken Dwarf, homosexual Assassin, Ornithophobic Golem, lesbian bard, sarcastic bastard (literally) ,
spoiler:
Dead
mage and dry-witted sadistic apostate. Fun times.
It certainly gives 'motley crew' a new definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart
whips and chains and such too, i believe
But he'll stare at you luridly while he uses them.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #277
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Quote:

Managed to fix the dialog the first time it happened by using the console to re-set the plot progress variables, head back to Honnleath and go through the Shale recruit sequence again (even though she was already in my party). It has happened again though and since I'm on the endgame railroad track I can't go back there to fix it again. I just hope this doesn't mess up the ending.

Both times this has happened party members have had equipped DLC-related items unequipped (or perhaps removed and then re-created in inventory) as well. So I'm guessing it might have something to do with that annoying online authentication of DLC content misfiring on occasion.
I had that happen to me as well (fixed it by combining two saves [don't ask], using the toolset), and it is most definitely a problem with authentication. The solution that I believe worked for me was setting "RequiresAuthorization" to 0 in AddIns.xml. It might even be a good idea to play the game logged off, though I found that unnecessary.

Other than that annoying "little" bug, the game has worked flawlessly for me so far.

SpaceAlex is offline   you may:
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #278
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
[QUOTE=Ztalker;2688626

-Wynn: Healer[/QUOTE]

I'm essentially the same setup atm on my first play through, but I have Lelliana in atm as ranged support.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may:
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #279
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I'm essentially the same setup atm on my first play through, but I have Lelliana in atm as ranged support.
My core team is currently made up of:

PC: Female elven mage
Alistair: Hitting things over the head with his shield
Shale: Dry humor and squishing things
Leliana: Bow sniping, pulling, scouting/spotting, lockpicking, disarming traps

Seems to work pretty OK so far. Shale is pretty flexible and can switch from melee grunt to team defense to nuking on a moment's notice.

mt
Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #280
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
My core team is currently made up of:

PC: Female elven mage
Alistair: Hitting things over the head with his shield
Shale: Dry humor and squishing things
Leliana: Bow sniping, pulling, scouting/spotting, lockpicking, disarming traps

Seems to work pretty OK so far. Shale is pretty flexible and can switch from melee grunt to team defense to nuking on a moment's notice.
Hmmm..I was thinking about using both Alistair and Shale too. Might try it next time But...your PC is a spirit healer I take?

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age

Tags
bioware, dragon age, game