lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Deus Ex... for free
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Deus Ex... for free

Source

That titan of the FPS-RPG genre, Deus Ex will soon be available for free download from the faucets at Gametap. Mark "Coming soon" on your calendars -- I think that means next week but I can't be sure. I'd bookmark this page and check it every day until the download becomes available. Each of your daily checks should last no less than one hour and should involve repetitive tapping of the F5 key.

As every good dark, cyberpunk FPS-RPG should, Deus Ex plunges the player into a political thriller filled with intrigue, betrayal, and subterfuge; so, you know, get it... now. It's the only game that has ever (ever) involved politics and not gotten carried away with how clever it is for doing so.

If you don't like it then there's something wrong with you. I bet you don't even find System Shock 2 scary, do you?

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 05-30-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: "gotten away" ---> "gotten carried away" (I'm illiterate, sue me!)
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Each of your daily checks should last no less than one hour and should involve repetitive tapping of the F5 key.
Is it worth the effort? What I'm saying, for sure it is.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I am going to download this and I already have two hard copies.

Pro Tip: For every post in a Deus Ex thread, three people reinstall. You're welcome, you three.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Looks like I'm the one this time, Rhett. I already have a hard copy, so I won't be downloading that advertisement-filled stuff. *goes to reinstall*

Deus Ex is the greatest game ever. [/repeated_phrase]

I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Valiant Hearts (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I was wondering the other day if it would be both possible and commercially viable to create a Deus Ex remake that has exactly the same content as the original, but a brand new engine with top-notch graphics and physics. I would have totally loved Invisible War's Havok physics in the original...
Well, it seems to have been commercially viable to do a Tomb Raider 1 remake, so who knows? The only problem I see is that Ion Storm's no more, but then again, Deus Ex 3 is being developed so there might be some hope.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Lange
Rookie

I liked the second game better :O
Lange is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Hmm, never played it, though I've heard good things about it. I think I'll be downloading this...
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post

The... I... the... it... i.. what?

What?

How is this.... I... I have to go sit down.

Need Help? massage message me
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Corinthian
Banned

Invisible War was to Deus Ex what Superman IV was to the original Superman movie.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
You have just committed the gravest of heresies in my book.
Dues ex is still probably my favorite game, Ive done it vanilla 6 times, hardcore twice, shifter 6, zodiac 8 and hotel Caronne(SP) twice. Im not going to mention redsun, considering I would rather have my limbs ripped off of me 1 by 1 than ever play that completely through. Someone should teach those idiots some level design and debugging

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
The... I... the... it... i.. what?

What?

How is this.... I... I have to go sit down.
Can I get you a cold drink?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Iced teas. Keep em coming, hold the lemon.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'll be downloading it. Haven't played it yet...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Heads up, people. Deus Ex is now available for download!

LINKY
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #15
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Fallout and co. from Interplay are also on the way, I hear.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I simply must find a way to get broadband!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #18
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Do you have to have an account at GameTap? Also, what is this "player" thing I notice?

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #19
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Is the problem that you're too far out from a provider? You could opt for a Sat connection or an internet connection card that uses your cell phone carrier.

The Sat connection will be faster. They're both still kind of expensive. Entry level price is in the $50 neighborhood. I believe both have DL caps.
No Cable or even DSL, though those that live half a mile away can get either.

Cell phone reception here is spotty at best and satellite was way more than $50.00 the last time I checked, and required the purchase of outrageously expensive equipment up front.

I've been begging the cable and DSL providers to go the extra half mile and provide service to myself and my neighbors for years to no avail. It's been quite frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS
Why get this game? Personally (and no offense) it doesn't look like that great of a game, I know it's won awards, but those were from 2000 and 2001, also why not get a game with better graphics?
Because graphics aren't everything. In fact, they're what I consider to be the least important factor when choosing a game. Gameplay and plot are far more important than eye candy, IMHO.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #21
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
So graphics are all that make a game for you? Very sad. Gameplay and story can easily outweigh the importance of graphics and can be rather timeless. The sooner you realize the, the sooner you can start enjoying some really great games that you've missed out on because they're a little old.

Also, because it's FREE. Really, this is a no brainer download and I hope you give it a shot.

Qliveur, I'm running off a sat connection (wildblue). They offer three speed tiers. The entry one is 40-50 bucks a month and would give you about 75Kb/sec download. I'm running the enterprise tier and that's still only like 80 a month.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #22
Q
The one who knocks

^^^
That's not bad at all. I'll look into it.

EDIT: I checked and it's a little more expensive here, but not too much. The lowest tier is $55, the middle is $70 and the top is $90. Equipment is $250 and installation is free. Now to decide if I really need it badly enough to justify the expense. I'm paying $6.95/month right now.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 06-09-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #23
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

I got my equipment free by signing up for a two year contract. I wonder if any such deal is available in your area.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #24
Q
The one who knocks

The installation is free and the equipment is $250.

-Toker
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #25
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Why watch the old Star Wars movies, i mean they are so old !!! The special effects is bad if you look at new movies.

And yes, that is irony
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #26
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Wow... now maybe I can find out what everyone was talking about in 2000... right after I find out if we kicked Saddam out of Kuwait...
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #27
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Heads up, people. Deus Ex is now available for download!
LINKY
Some quick advise for those who have never played Deus Ex before:

Talk to all NPCs multiple times, they almost always have more to say than the initial dialog. Even the inconsequential bum in the back-alley may have something interesting to say if you poke him enough. A few missions/quests can only be gained this way too.

Listen to NPC chatter. Sometimes the things NPCs (both friends and enemies) say to each other will provide you with clues as to what is going on, or other useful information. Sometimes it can pay to hold your fire for a moment, hide and eavesdrop on enemies before dealing with them.

Explore everywhere. There are lots of places off the beaten path, and not only will you often be rewarded with goodies for finding them, you can also get extra skill points for Exploration. You can also find easier ways to reach your objectives sometimes.

Hack, or find the login/password to, all computer terminals you come across. Many of them contains emails and other messages that gives clues about what is going on. They may also contain other computer logins, access codes that lets you open doors, containers etc. Sometimes you can find login info on datapads in secure locations, and sometimes clues to the password can be found in the environment around the computer. (For example the password to the UNATCO sys-admin's computer can be found on a poster on the wall in his office).

There are multiple ways to solve most missions or get past obstacles. For example gaining entrance to a compound could include a brute force method running in guns blazing, silently knocking out guards one by one, sneaking past enemies, subverting security systems to do your dirty work, or using NPC contacts you've made earlier to get admitted.

Play it like an RPG more than an FPS. Though there are plenty of opportunities for running and gunning in Deus Ex, it's not always the most rewarding way of solving a situation, and it may have consequences. For example, if you deal with the first mission using lethal force Paul Denton will be annoyed with you, while Gunther Hermann and Anna Navarre will approve of your methods. While if you use non-lethal force, knocking out the enemies, will result is the opposite. Some missions also offer different rewards depending on how you choose to deal with the opposition.

(Oh, and get the GEP gun in the first mission when you are given the choice of an additional weapon. You can loot the other two options off enemies quite soon afterward anyway )

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #28
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
(Oh, and get the GEP gun in the first mission when you are given the choice of an additional weapon. You can loot the other two options off enemies quite soon afterward anyway )
I thought I was the only one who did it for that reason.

One extra piece of advice I can give is, when you replay the game, try doing everything opposite to what your did in the first run: in most situations, the game allows this. You'll be surprised at how even your most subtlest decisions are echoed in the future.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #29
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Do you have to have an account at GameTap? Also, what is this "player" thing I notice?
I downloaded it last night, still haven't played it yet though. Yes, you need to sign up for a gametap account to play M-rated games, it takes maybe 30 seconds. And yes, you have to download the gametap client thing so you can actually download and play the game. It took me maybe a total of ten minutes to get everything set up. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I find the time to actually play it, but I'm guessing from the positive reviews in this thread that it is pretty gud.

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now,
Even though you broke my heart and killed me.
And tore me to pieces...
And threw every piece into a fire.
As I burned, it hurt because
I was so happy for you." - GLaDOS
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #30
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
I downloaded it last night, still haven't played it yet though. Yes, you need to sign up for a gametap account to play M-rated games, it takes maybe 30 seconds.
I can't make an account as it keeps directing me to a page that says its only for USA and Canada.

And then it just goes blablabla about a Myst game, which I have no interest in.

Really sad, I wanted to check this out.

Unless there away around this ?

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #31
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Gametap is not yet available in Europe.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #32
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Haven't investigated further, but the game is only playable through their player? As opposed to running directly on my machine?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #33
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Quote:
Gametap is not yet available in Europe.
I won't be downloading Deus Ex seeing as how I have my own copy (thank you Ebay) but I'm in the UK and it worked when I grabbed Psychonauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Haven't investigated further, but the game is only playable through their player? As opposed to running directly on my machine?
I think so. The free games are paid for with revenue from advertising so you have to watch a commercial each time you start up the game. It's a minor inconvenience but I think having access to an amazing game for free more than outweighs that .

Last edited by Pavlos; 06-09-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
I can't make an account as it keeps directing me to a page that says its only for USA and Canada.

And then it just goes blablabla about a Myst game, which I have no interest in.

Really sad, I wanted to check this out.

Unless there away around this ?
One lame trick I can suggest is to change your location settings in Control Panel so that it reads the USA.

Otherwise you can try a proxy - I hear they work well, but have never used one, and hence can't comment.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #35
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Would anyone else agree that Hong Kong is the best place for the random but hilarious quotes of NPCs
"...And I spill my drink all over my uniform"
"I was walking here"

Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #36
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
If you get an error message when d/ling the game, check the help page. I got an error message that said I had an internet problem/gametap servers might be down, and when I went to the help section, I found out that all I had to do was open one port on my firewall. That solved the problem.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
Q
The one who knocks

For those of you who don't have broadband or don't want to mess with or don't have access to Gametap, Deus Ex can be had for $10 or less. And you own your own copy.

-Toker
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #38
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Found that out, too, a couple of days ago. Really nice.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #39
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

I would advise buying it, you cant use any mods if you go with gametap.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #40
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
What sort of mods are out there?

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Deus Ex... for free

Tags
deus ex, game