lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What was the first video game you played?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

What was the first video game you played?

Basically this follows the same premise as "What was your first RPG?". The first video game I played was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (The Adventure Game). I had someone help me play it, of course, on a side note I've been addicted to adventure games ever since.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Pac-Man! in a pizza place I used to go to when I was a kid.

My first console game was Super Mario Brothers

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
My first real game was Age of Empires, I think.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

The original video game: Pong

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Age of Empires, the Greek mission where you start with only a few guys and have to get them back to Greece which Im pretty sure was a government center.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar View Post
The original video game: Pong
Yup... mine too.

*Grabs cane*

You young ins are sooooooo spoiled by games nowadays! We Pong players are the real hard-core gamers.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Space Invaders.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
It was either Warlords Battlecry or Duke Nukem 3D, when I was very very young.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #9
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Mother****in' Zoombinis.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Most probably Tetris on a cheap handheld. Then I had a Taiwanese NES-clone, and I think the first game I played on it was either Baseball or Super Mario Bros. On the PC, it was Road Rash at a friend's place. On my own, it was Minesweeper.

Don't remember any arcade or other games played while out, though. Most likely never picked up their names anyways.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

I've been playing video games since pretty much before I could walk, so I really have no idea. My first guesses would be either Jurassic Park or Space Invaders - NES and GameBoy, respectively.
Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
A Portuguese-only game. *looks around avoiding looks*
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Do those little hand held beepy things count where you have to do the same thing over and over? I think my first one might have been a Captain Scarlet version where you're shooting the Mysterons.

If were talking actual PC games, there was a football one which came with my first computer. But me and football...

I think the first game I can remember being proud of was Tie Fighter.

...Which even after mentioning I'm feeling all nostalgic and thinking about digging up from under the bed. How do you use MS-DOS on Vista?

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiygasUnlimited View Post
Basically this follows the same premise as "What was your first RPG?". The first video game I played was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (The Adventure Game). I had someone help me play it, of course, on a side note I've been addicted to adventure games ever since.
Don't remember which one was actually first, but a few of the earlier ones were MacPong, Lode Runner, Mouse Stampede and some flight simulator I don't remember the name of (probably MS Fight Sim). I played those on a Macintosh Plus around 1986 I think. Excellent graphics on that 9 inch screen capable of showing black or white only.

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
My first video game was a collection of DOS games for kids; in one of them (the only one I can still remember) you had to guide a frog's one-pixel tongue through a maze to catch a fly. After that, my first real PC games were all Learning Company games.

The first console game I ever played would be Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 at my friend's house. Then I eventually got an N64 for Christmas, and the first console game I ever owned was Super Mario 64, followed closely by Super Smash Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
How do you use MS-DOS on Vista?
You use an emulator.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #16
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
First video game period? Probably an arcade game somewhere that I'd never remember. First one I can remember is Mario Brothers. First computer game was probably Oregon Trail. First computer game I owned was Dark Forces.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
X-Wing...

Who doesn't love that game? (Sure, Wing Commander is better, but X-Wing's... X-Wing)

And.... I really can't remember, I was like 3 when I was playing that!
ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
It was actually pong for the Atari. My friend had one and we played all the time. Yes, I'm old.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #19
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
First computer game was probably Oregon Trail.

Heh, I remember that game. I think it came with the first computer that my family got. At first I hated the game because my person died.

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
Ravnas
Rookie

Super Mario Brothers, you know, the older one.

Regrets are for horseshoes and handbags.
Ravnas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
sekan

Some racing game on my old computer but I can't remember the name of it. The first game that I remember and know it name is Supermario 64.

[size=1] My mods | My webiste
Are you trying to foooooool me?
sekan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
ajlbibak
Rookie

Current Game: X-Com: Terror from the deep
Pit Stop on C64.
ajlbibak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
Relenzo2
Forumite

My very first game was Space Invaders on a Mac. Aaah, good times. My dad would play it when he took breaks from working.

The first one I bought I also remember. I had played an awsome game called Star Wars Battlefront II at the house of a relative of a freind who was much older than we are (the relative, not freind). We thought it was great and took every oppotunity to play it. One day later, while shopping at Target with the family, I walked through the PC games isle due to all the flashiness (I think maybe I though they'd have those handhelds attatched to the glass cabinets like in those self-serving console isles). Lo and beheld, there was a box title Star Wars Battlefront II.... FOR THE COMPUTER!!! I smashed against the opposite wall in shock (luckily causing no damage, or my gaming days wouldn't have gotten far. I had barely enough money as it was). *blinked. Thought for a minute*. (In stunned tones): I could... I could OWN THAT!?! The rest, is history. I still have that game, of course, and play it. And have enough mods so as to heavily burden my poor system.

"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #24
zelda 41
Loop Zoop

Current Game: FFX HD/Persona 3 Portable
Legend of zelda: occorina of time was the first game i remember playing.
i member' when i was four or so my brother got an N64 for christmas and LoZ. After he was done playing it, I decided I wanted to play video games. I got past the first dungen and then I stopped playing for a year. Still have the original file on the cartridge X'D

I think I was quite good for a four year old. -shruggs-

Last edited by zelda 41; 07-21-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: ZoL? what the heck?
zelda 41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
This is a good thread question. I've been playing video games since around the time I started keeping my memories so remembering the first video game I've ever played would be impossible.

I do remember having an Odyssey as a child and later a ColecoVision and some of my favorite games were Pit Fall, Donkey Kong, Miner 2000-49er, and other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
It was actually pong for the Atari. My friend had one and we played all the time. Yes, I'm old.
You will never be old. You are PRIME!

--

Hmm, my first video game played ever. Probably Super Mario Brothers on the N64. Years later, my older brother gave me his PS1, and played a whole bunch of games on that. Jedi Power Battles, Driver, Bowling, ect. Very fun. Then the PS2 came out, and we got it for Christmas one year. Even more fun, with better graphics too. Eventually I bought myself a GameCube, which was a waste of money & I need to sell it soon, and for my birthday one year I got an Xbox. Had that since. Hopefully I will get an Xbox 360 soon.

The story of my gaming life. :/

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #27
zelda 41
Loop Zoop

Current Game: FFX HD/Persona 3 Portable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
You will never be old. You are PRIME!

--

Hmm, my first video game played ever. Probably Super Mario Brothers on the N64. Years later, my older brother gave me his PS1, and played a whole bunch of games on that. Jedi Power Battles, Driver, Bowling, ect. Very fun. Then the PS2 came out, and we got it for Christmas one year. Even more fun, with better graphics too. Eventually I bought myself a GameCube, which was a waste of money & I need to sell it soon, and for my birthday one year I got an Xbox. Had that since. Hopefully I will get an Xbox 360 soon.

The story of my gaming life. :/
our 360 broke D:
one day i was playing it and a red light started flashing. my bro got pissed because it was technicly his.
then our xbox broke somehow when i was playing it. we bought a new one, although i'm afraid to get near it.

i suppose i have the effect of death on microsoft. :/

zelda 41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #28
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda 41 View Post
our 360 broke D:
one day i was playing it and a red light started flashing. my bro got pissed because it was technicly his.
then our xbox broke somehow when i was playing it. we bought a new one, although i'm afraid to get near it.

i suppose i have the effect of death on microsoft. :/
hehe.

I have played it at a couple of friends houses, and they keep telling me to get one. One day I will get one. It is nearly inevitable...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #29
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
If you wanna be technical, it was one of those mini Pac-Man handhelds from like the late 80s/early 90s. It was like a mini pac-man cabinet. Can't remember a whole lot about it. I was pretty young and it was my cousin's.

The first game I really played would be the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet combo cartridge for the NES.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #30
Litofsky
Galaxial

I think that my first game was either Mario or Tetris. My, how the times have changed.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #31
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Now, this is a tough one. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was either The Lost Vikings, or Wolfenstein 3D.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #32
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Have played videogames as long as i remember, and really have no idea what the first i played was. But the first PC title i have clear memorys of that i played when i was very young was Wolfenstein 3D, but i know i had played other games before that
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #33
HigherPower
Rookie

First game I ever played was at my baby sitter's about thirteen years ago. I could've played Mario, I could've played Sonic but no... I played Super Metroid.
HigherPower is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #34
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
History!
http://www.pong-story.com/intro.htm

My first game was of course Pong (called "Tennis", "Hockey", and "Squash" but really just pong variants), and it was played at a friends' house who had a bright yellow Magnavox Odyssey 300 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke View Post
We Pong players are the real hard-core gamers.

Dig.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #35
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102 View Post
a bright yellow Magnavox Odyssey 300 system.
I had one of those until my stepbrother broke it. Then we had a pong/sheet shooting game system. However my favorite early game was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Excellent graphics on that 9 inch screen capable of showing black or white only.
Visually stunning. I remember MS Flight Sim having just the outline of buildings, the ground and other planes and still it took every bit of computing power my little IBM could produce. I think the office coffeemaker today has more computing power than that PC had, I know my cell phone does.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #36
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
^ You earn one Magic Atari 2600 Adventure Dot for that, mimartin.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #37
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I had one of those until my stepbrother broke it...

*pic snip*
Used to have one of those a long time ago too. Forgot about it till I saw your pic. Really had a way of focusing one's attention...

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #38
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Don't make me pull out my spectrum, guys!

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #39
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I remember getting this game for Christmas of 77. IT was easy to beat once you knew the secret.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #40
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
The first game I played with any seriousness (odd word to use, I know) was the Space Invaders remake for the Playstation 1. It took me and my brother years to discover the extra levels.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > What was the first video game you played?