lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: gentity_t vs centity_t
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
JaedenRuiner
Rookie

gentity_t vs centity_t

Okay,
Well, i've gotten pretty far on everything I've wanted to do, but now I am at a point of evaluation entities on the client side as opposed to the server side. The client side does not use gentity_t structure, it has the centity_t structure. However I'm not quite familiar with the appropriate tests to verify an entity is a client. for gentity_t's on the server side you'd simply do:
Code:
if (!ent || !ent->client) {
  return;
}
if (ent->s.number > MAX_CLIENTS) {
  return;
}
Either of those will tell the code that the current entity isn't a client, you know a real player. On the centity_t side, I have entity that has stored it's owner number. so I'm doing this:
Code:
if (ent->s.userInt2 && ent->s.userInt2 <= MAX_CLIENTS) {
  centity_t * own = &cg_entities[ent->s.userInt2];
  if (!own || !own->client) <----- ERROR.  No Client field.
At that point I examined the centity_t structure, and wondered if centity_t :: playerState would be NULL if the entity is NOT a client. Can i test there for player presence to make sure my owner of the entity in question is actually a player/bot/npc, etc?
Thanks

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
http://www.wayoftheleaf.net
JaedenRuiner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
centity_t::currentState::eType will tell you ET_PLAYER vs ET_NPC. but you won't really be able to differentiate vs player/bot unless you come up with some method to communicate it via the scoreboard send method. You should know that centity_t out of your snapshot will be invalid unlike gentity_t which have no knowledge of snapshots. cgs.clientinfo[MAX_CLIENTS] is an array of clients with valid info so, you'd check a pointer to one of those array items and possibly the ::infoValid member as well.

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
BobaFettUU
Lurker

To tell clients from bots apart, here's how UU does it:

Fetch the configstring for the player (get CS_PLAYER + currentstate.number) and see if the infostring has a 'skill' entry. If it does, its a bot, if not, its a human.
BobaFettUU is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
Wouldn't do anything if you (like me) had removed support for basejka bots which skill is not even a required key for the CS_PLAYERS info. So I guess ur UU would think all players are humans in my servers. :s

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Coding > gentity_t vs centity_t