lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Maul, sith lightning?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Doctorjones
Rookie
 
Doctorjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 34
Maul, sith lightning?

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?
Doctorjones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I sure that he was able to being that Sidious was his master, I personally think that he just didn't use it. He was more of a swordsman fighter.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
I'm under the impression that lightning is not a power that any schmo can use just because they're a dark-sider and they know another dark-sider who can. It's a pretty badass power and can do quite a lot of damage, so I doubt it would be easy for a person to learn.

One might be interested by the fact that Maul uses lightning in both the Episode I movie game and in Jedi Power Battles (a loosely-based action game), but I don't think they can be taken as evidence on their own.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
RC-1183
Junior Member
 
RC-1183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 470
Current Game: Halo Reach, KotOR II
i agree with rev i say he couldve he just didnt want to because he would rather cut someone up than shock them




Ordo-"If only there was a manuel on females.."
Kal- "If there is i never got my copy"
RC-1183 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
LordOfTheFish
Senior Member
 
LordOfTheFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 2,724
Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I agree with Rev. Darth Maul was most definitely a swordsman

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Relenzo2
Forumite
 
Relenzo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Posts: 643
I agree with LordofTheFish. We agree with Rev, Darth Maul was most definately a swordsman. This thread could start to get repetitive.
Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it.


"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
teodesetkata
Rookie
 
teodesetkata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 90
Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.


teodesetkata is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata View Post
Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.
That's because he's missing certain essential appendages to be able to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relenzo
Darth Maul is certainly not "any Schmo". He was powerful enough for something like that, he probably just didn't want to use it... or even bother to learn it.
Given we see Maul for all of about half an hour, how did you reach the conclusion that he was powerful enough to use it?






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
M@RS
The New Tax Collector
 
M@RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,899
Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...


Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...
No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

But none of that is proof that he knew how to use Force Lightning.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
M@RS
The New Tax Collector
 
M@RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

But none of that is proof that he knew how to use Force Lightning.
Acutally I did forget, but even Qui-Gon said that Maul was extremely powerful, what would stop him from using force lightning?


Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Darth krunchy
Rookie
 
Darth krunchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shermer, Illinois
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorjones View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?

Darth Vader never used Sith Lightning.


My diapers have gone over to the dark side.
Darth krunchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
ellimar
Lurker
 
ellimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
Darth Vader never used Sith Lightning.
Darth Vader couldn't use sith lightning because of his robotic limbs/implants.


Check out my KotOR 1&2 Mods at my website, Ellimar Mods!
I am the master, I am Ellimar.
ellimar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Darth krunchy
Rookie
 
Darth krunchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shermer, Illinois
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimar View Post
Darth Vader couldn't use sith lightning because of his robotic limbs/implants.
Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right?


My diapers have gone over to the dark side.
Darth krunchy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right?
Quote:
Though a powerful Sith Lord, Darth Vader's usage of Force lightning was suppressed, due to the prosthetic arm he had fitted to replace a hand lost in battle with Count Dooku, and after the disastrous confrontation on Mustafar (although his trademark use of Force Choke more than compensated for this lack). Vader could not channel lightning through his body for fear of damaging his cybernetic implants, and also meant he became much more vulnerable to the effects of Force lightning. This vulnerability would eventually contribute to his death. Although there is one case where Darth Vader did use Sith lightning. When Darth Vader was in close proximity to the presence of the Kaiburr Crystal on Circarpous V, the amplification effects of the Force caused the Dark Lord's affinity with the dark side of the Force to expand even greater. As a result, the crystal granted Vader the ability to cast Force lightning, normally impossible due to Vader's bionic limbs and life-support systems.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_lightning


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
M@RS
The New Tax Collector
 
M@RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right?
He's right...duh


Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 AM   #17
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
No, he didn't kill a Jedi Master first time - he fought a stalemate on Tatooine, or did you forget that?

He got killed because he was overconfident in his situation - there's no way a mere padawn could kill a Sith Apprentice, right?

But none of that is proof that he knew how to use Force Lightning.
... or prove that he cannot.


...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #18
General LiWar
Junior Member
 
General LiWar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I'm gone...
Posts: 412
Basically, nothing canon says he does/doesn't. However, whether he did or not, I'm going to agree with all of you and say he's a swordsman. In the movies, you never see him use any force powers (except maybe jump, i can't remember), he only relies on his lightsaber.

General LiWar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #19
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,631
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired View Post
... or prove that he cannot.
I am aware of that, but I haven't actually said that he can't, I was just asking how others draw the conclusion that he can.






Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
Relenzo2
Forumite
 
Relenzo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Posts: 643
He DID kill Qui-gon Jinn, while Obi-Wan was helping- even if he fought to a stalemate the second time, Qui-Gon had a spaceship that time. So I draw the conclusion he's pretty powerful. But yes, we all think he's the swordsman type. Why else would he be showing off with that double-sided saber? And we never actually see him explicitly use any Force Powers.


"The beauty and genius of a work of film may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished fiction may yet again inspire the screenplay-writer; but when the last individual of a race of living directors, of artists, breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again." -William Beebe, modified in memorial of the twentieth century

Su'cuy, vod, kar'laylirdarasuum me'suum!

Star Wars: The Plastic Director's Cut!
Relenzo2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #21
Henz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 362
We do see him use the force. He throws something into a door lock during the fight, and then force pushes Obi down a hole.

I've always seen the good swordsmen and the strong force users as two ends of the power spectrum personally.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
Ultimate Vader
Rookie
 
Ultimate Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: jakarta
Posts: 193
Powerful doesn't always mean all-round good. When we see a great blademaster like Kas'im, we can say that he's powerful. When we see Palpatine uses Force Storm, we can say that he's powerful. And it seems that Maul prefer using the force to "empower" his body and use his rage and hate to create force fury. I make prediction like that because he never shows any use of force like sith lightning, but he won't be a sith if he can't use the force. I remember a picture, showing Maul withstands a Sith lightning. I think he's using force fury to withstand that pain. Anyway, there's no evidence Maul uses Sith Lightning, so I don't believe he can.


Rulk Badass 2
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on!
Ultimate Vader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #23
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman
 
K_Kinnison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 3,736
Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
As we remember in ANH one aspect of using a lightsaber is using the force for Precognition, increased speed, precision and power. I often see a Force user sable fight as a battle using both mind and muscle... the ultimate test (like Dooku vs YOda) That is when when in the middle of a battle they are literally moping the floor with every non-force user in the battle.


BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
A Galaxy Foreseen
Rookie
 
A Galaxy Foreseen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
Well, he was able to kill a Jedi Master first time, the only reason he got killed was because Obi-Wan was ticked at him for killing Qui-Gon and he was barely able to out maneuver Maul and kill him...
I say my friend,
He could of killed Obi-Wan with the same move that Obi-Wan did on Anakin in there Battle on Mustafar.
But yeah.

But That is beside the point, I agree on the idea of that he could use it but just did not
care to. He, in my opinion used force push more than anything. (as he used it to push Obi-Wan into that pit)


A Galaxy Foreseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
Te Je'karta Mand'alor
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keldabe, Mandalore
Posts: 467
Current Game: KotOR 2
nope... he never knew how to use it. and i heard from a friend that he thought of his force sensitivity as a curse...? any comments?
Te Je'karta Mand'alor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #26
Darth Zavier
Rookie
 
Darth Zavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nun ya! (jk)
Posts: 96
Current Game: SWBF: RS
Well sure he could use it, duh. But I don't understand why they didn't have him use it. but, good question, I was going to ask the same thing.


http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1066/batpoddarkknightsig.png

"They'll hunt me; They'll condemn me; Set the dogs on me; Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes, the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded. Not because they want to, not because of chance, but because they deserve to."

-Batman (From TDK)
Darth Zavier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 AM   #27
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,151
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well, he did used Sith Lightning on The Phantom Menace Game, but that's non canon. And everybody knows he focused more on lightsaber battle rather than the Force.
Alexrd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #28
Darth Zavier
Rookie
 
Darth Zavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nun ya! (jk)
Posts: 96
Current Game: SWBF: RS
That's true. Sidious trained him to be the master of hand-to-hand lightsaber combat.


http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1066/batpoddarkknightsig.png

"They'll hunt me; They'll condemn me; Set the dogs on me; Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes, the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded. Not because they want to, not because of chance, but because they deserve to."

-Batman (From TDK)
Darth Zavier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #29
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by teodesetkata View Post
Come to think of it, Darth Vader didn't use Lightning, either... at least, in the movies.
I would think that even if he could, it would be disastrous for him: it would destroy or damage all of the electrical machinery in his prosthetic limbs.

Having worked with electricity in real life I could say it also would dig in or bite down into his flesh at edges or sharp points. Not to mention the metal limbs would be excellent conductors of the physical electrical energy portion of force lightning. Also would not be wise b/c he is bionic by necessity and it would damage and fry critical life support systems, severly injuring if not killing him. What little is left of him, anyway.

The following is only in the game and I don't know about canonized content, otherwise:
PS1 SW:Phantom Menace game, at the very last part of your fight with maul, if you are out of saber combat range, maul will repeatedly make a hand gesture and a little red bolt of lightning will leap out of his hand hitting you and whittle away your health until you either die or you fight him. Looks like the bolt that comes from Amidala's droid restrainer, but her's was blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorjones View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted before, but just out of interest.

Did Darth Maul ever use Sith lightning? I no he doesn't in the Phantom Menace. I would be suprised if he didn't at some point, or maybe he just wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to use it yet?

Any thoughts?
Other than my example, you'd have to read up on Darth Maul. But I don't think he did. He could have, but I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Galaxy Foreseen View Post
I say my friend,
He could of killed Obi-Wan with the same move that Obi-Wan did on Anakin in there Battle on Mustafar.
But yeah.

But That is beside the point, I agree on the idea of that he could use it but just did not
care to. He, in my opinion used force push more than anything. (as he used it to push Obi-Wan into that pit)
I'll settle for that, I suppose.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #30
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,151
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
PS1 SW:Phantom Menace game, at the very last part of your fight with maul, if you are out of saber combat range, maul will repeatedly make a hand gesture and a little red bolt of lightning will leap out of his hand hitting you and whittle away your health until you either die or you fight him. Looks like the bolt that comes from Amidala's droid restrainer, but her's was blue.
Offtopic: The PC version is way better.
Alexrd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #31
Demongo
Afro Skeleton
 
Demongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 963
Current Game: Street Fighter IV
As many of you stated before, he focused on his lightsaber, lightsaber form, combat not on the Force.



Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
Darth Zavier
Rookie
 
Darth Zavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nun ya! (jk)
Posts: 96
Current Game: SWBF: RS
Yes, you are correct, but if he had lived to be on AOTC, he would have used things such as Lightning.


http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1066/batpoddarkknightsig.png

"They'll hunt me; They'll condemn me; Set the dogs on me; Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes, the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, people deserve to have their faith rewarded. Not because they want to, not because of chance, but because they deserve to."

-Batman (From TDK)
Darth Zavier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #33
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie
 
Insignia_Enithma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
Current Game: TF2, KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth krunchy View Post
Good call, that's why he could choke enemies, right?
Ok, so you think a lethal dose of electric running through a robotic appendage would work out well for vader?
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #34
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,319
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
First off, Maul really did use the Force... notice how prior to Episode I, a lot of fans had this thing about assuming you actually couldn't use "offensive force" during a saber duel, because it required too much concentration or something (at least not against someone who was "well trained").

Maul broke this, using not only the typical "jump," he actually Force pushed Obi-Wan off a ledge while in a saber lock! He also casually used a battle droid part to open a door while fighting two Jedi at once. It's quite clear that whatever this might have been in the original films, it's no limitation on Prequel era Jedi/Sith. Maul has plenty of control over the Force.

Maul isn't the "only a swordsman" guy (did you also notice how he used physical blows like kicks during battle?). For that, you want General Grievous (whose "Jedi arts training" clearly only encompassed fighting, because he had zero defense against a simple push Episode III).

Second, I know that "having hands made of flesh" is something that is offered as an explanation in the Expanded Universe as to why VADER never uses lightning, but it isn't a very satisfying explanation for me. None of the other force powers seem to require physical hands to perform (even the movie "gestures" appear to be a tool of focuser for the user, not strictly required to do something). Couldn't he just channel it through his "stumps"? Why not make the robot limbs out of some material that could safely channel the lightning if that was the issue? (the Prequels demonstrate that this technology exists in the Star Wars universe, and we have no proof that "sith" lightning is really anymore dangerous than any other form of electricity they routinely handle).

The real reason is that Lucas hadn't thought of "Force Lightning" until he started working on Return of the Jedi. By then it could have been chalked up as some kind of mysterious "ultimate power" that only the Emperor knew. Episode II changed all that (well, and the EU for years has basically had every schmo who has been around using it, as mentioned... maybe the "Secret" got out of the bag after the battle of Endor?).

It's really never explained why some can use lightning but others cannot, except the outside the movie "well he didn't have arms so..." which is silly, because we can then ask "so why didn't he get cloned arms so he could throw lightning, if it was so important"?

Then the excuses because sillier.. "he forgot," "too sad," "Palpatine wouldn't let him but he never took it as a slight against him,"

If it was "Palpatine was deliberately holding him back" that's silly because the whole reason Palpatine supposedly switched to Anakin was because he wanted that power and potential for himself. If he had no problem giving Dooku "the secret" (assuming it was) why not Anakin?

And I don't buy the "clone body parts don't have the force" because while this is an EU thing, it's totally at odds with the Episode II novelization. Plus, part of the logic of the Clone troopers is that Force users have influence over them (otherwise what are we supposed to assume, that anyone barking an order at them would gain their loyalty? The Separatists should have used big loudspeakers on the battlefield to countermand them!).

It's just a movie inconsistency, sort of like "Sith Eyes."


PS: Anakin uses lightning in the "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" game too (so I guess in the game's anything goes, but someone who bought into the "official excuse" could argue that he only uses his left hand for that, which is still organic).


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #35
Mandalore The Shadow
The Writing Writer
 
Mandalore The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Desert
Posts: 286
Current Game: KotOR II
I think the only sith (in the movies) to use force lightning was Sidious and Tyranus


My Mods
“You needn't die happy when your time comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived
your life from the beginning to the end and ka is always served.”

― Stephen King, The Dark Tower
Mandalore The Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #36
DarthAwesome
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 38
Current Game: KOTOR
As others have said, I think Maul could use force lightning but he just chose not to. It may not have been as powerful as The Emperor's but nevertheless...
DarthAwesome is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #37
Insignia_Enithma
Rookie
 
Insignia_Enithma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
Current Game: TF2, KotOR
I don't think Maul could use lightning purely because he spent most of his energies training for lightsaber combat and applying the force to said combat.
Insignia_Enithma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #38
mattig89ch
Junior Member
 
mattig89ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In or around NYC
Posts: 417
Nah, I always got the impression that lightning was something you could not learn, but something that came naturally to you. thats why vader never used it.




Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
Te Je'karta Mand'alor
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keldabe, Mandalore
Posts: 467
Current Game: KotOR 2
maul WAS more of a swordsman, but don't think he was able to use it. i mean, he was'nt even a sith lord when sidius was training him.... maybe later in his life though
Te Je'karta Mand'alor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #40
noizer
Rookie
 
noizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 64
this is something we will problaby will never know.

for all we know he could use lightning but didnt want to use it.

i prefer to think that he couldnt use it since he was more swordsman then a real force wielder.


.......
noizer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Maul, sith lightning?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.