lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PC boycott?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
DBD_GUNSMOKE
Lurker

Thumbs down PC boycott?

Lucasarts,

I saw the trailer for this game, loved it, and i thought - "i'll have to go out and buy that!".

Any guesses for how gutted and annoyed i was that this game IS NOT ON THE PC? I have just trawled through a massive discussion blog about this with thousands (if not tens of thousands) of PC gamers venting their frustration. I love Star Wars and i want to play this game, but i refuse point blank to buy a console just to play it when my hardware absolutely creams any console out there - period. The same could be said for the majority of PC users who now have entry level PC's that easily match the performance of most consoles.

That this game is not being released for the PC is a kick in the teeth, but to release it on the Nintendo DS? The Wii? PSP2? (so the reason for non PC release isn't hardware specifications then!)- what are you thinking? I'ts just ridiculous and comparative to kicking people when they are down! Add to this the rather unfunny and insulting April fools news article that it would be released, and you have a rather angry mob of PC users on your hands!

Bearing in mind that PC gamers have supported Lucasarts for far longer than console users, we generally see this as a betrayal and ignorance to the vast market that is the PC gamer. Myself and most PC users will be boycotting Lucasarts titles in the forseeable future until you see the error of your ways and make amends by releasing this and future titles for the PC. We also demand that the person/s responsible are put in the stocks so we can all line up and throw rotten fruit at them until they apologise.
DBD_GUNSMOKE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Agent_Katarn00

Current Game: Morrowind!
I agree,Pc is the best game station in my opinion.
I mean come on...It is actually easier to make a game for a PC believe it or not.

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 Mod Project Leader and Console and PC Gamer
Games i'm looking forward to:
-Red Faction Guerrilla
-Fallout New Vegas
-Diablo 3
Agent_Katarn00 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
But only mods would really help TFU on the PC, its too short to be a standalone game.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
DBD_GUNSMOKE
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
But only mods would really help TFU on the PC, its too short to be a standalone game.
Fair enough, but i'm not really expecting Knights Of The Old Republic 3, most PC users just need a regular Star Wars fix! I'd pay 40 for that!
DBD_GUNSMOKE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
I would only want to get this game on PC only if we had a chance to mod the game.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Hoad
Rookie

Hot Topic Starter 
A few disgruntled PC users not buying LA's future games is hardly likely to make them change their minds, you're probably wasting your time.
Hoad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I would only want to get this game on PC only if we had a chance to mod the game.
Well yeah, that's the entire reason why I want it as well. And the first thing I hope someone takes care of is the unsettling lack of lightsaber dismemberment.

Well, extra content is also a huge factor for me. It'd be great if they decide to make an uber version of the game for PC with all of the additional levels from the Wii and PS2 versions, as well as a two-player battle mode and the PSP's "historical duels."

And yes, you will be wasting your time with a boycott and will only make yourself angrier since you will be missing out on all of the hot new Star Wars games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD_GUNSMOKE View Post
Lucasarts,
Hi, welcome to Lucasforums. This is a centralized set of forums for a collection of Lucasarts fan sites. In case this was meant to be directed to Lucasarts themselves, you can find them at http://forums.lucasarts.com. Rest assured though, there's a fair number of people here who were upset about TFU not coming to the PC platform, myself included.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD_GUNSMOKE
Blah blah, blabla blah bla BLAH. This melodramatic fluff has all been regurgitated before. I can understand people being upset (I myself am not thrilled), but when the PC players turn into PC Crusaders and start writing essays about how LA "BETRAYED" the player base, I start to wonder if any of them actually take themselves seriously, or are just "going with the flow" of their colleagues (or whatever).

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 09-23-2008 at 10:44 AM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Successful troll is successful.

Also, this is LucasFORUMS, not LucasARTS.

Also, it's been discussed thousands of times. I don't think we need a new topic every month or so.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
At this point, I think the PC can do without an super-short, average at best console port.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
liquidous_fleshbag
Lurker

Question HELLO... I'M NEW!

I totally agree with you! Although PC is not the best place to play Force Unleashed (since the controls will be very complicated on PC), but, surely it will be very fun! (IMO)

When I first heard about this game, I told many gamers at my school about it. They checked it on the internet, AND THEY HELL LIKED IT. We waited for this game. But, we actually didn't know that it won't be released on PC. So, all that time waiting... POINTLESS. Well, some of my friends bought that game... FOR PS2 (Arrgh!)... And they make me that don't have a console... JEALOUS! I can only watch the cinematics at Youtube... And the cinematics make me even more jealous!

And, I want to ask a little question : Does the people in Lucasarts actually 'LOOK AT OUR POSTS?' Because, uh, in the Halowars forum, I have post threads that tell Bungie to develop Halowars for PC... And the people there also said that there are dozens of people telling Bungie the same thing... And yet, do any of you people see news, or anything that tells you 'HALOWARS IS GOING TO BE RELEASED ON PC!!!'? Are the people here more differrent? Or are they the same?

By the way, sorry for the bad English... And sorry if I said something wrong... Or annoying... Or offensing...
liquidous_fleshbag is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Darth Eclipse

Current Game: Crysis 2,Dead Space2
Lol, yeah...It won't change anything if you get a couple of your buddies together boycott Lucasarts. Also, how is it betrayal when Lucasarts is making a game for pretty much everything you can play a game on except PC?! THEY are making the game! THEY have a choice what systems to make the game for! Give it a rest already!!!
Darth Eclipse is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Blame downloaders.

I'm not a saint, but I make enough money and buy my entrainment.
Most people who are nagging now have 25 forums accounts and boycott it. Exactly the same people who (I believe) caused it in the first place.

So, unlucky, but blame the downloaders. Not Lucasarts.

Example:
Ubisoft only sold 40.000 copies of Assassins Creed for the PC. To 700.000 (estimated, they put a 'crash' function in the pre-gold builds, they traced the number of dl from the 'infamous' sites) downloads.
Is it then worth to create a PC version? No. I don't blame them.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
liquidous_fleshbag
Lurker

Post Come to think of it...

Hey, who knows, probably some people will develop The Force Unleashed ILLEGALLY... In Indonesia, you can see lots of pirated PC games that weren't supposed to be released for PC... I think
liquidous_fleshbag is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
Pwnzor326
Rookie

Current Game: TES III: Morrowind
The reason its not on the PC is because the PC has trouble running the Euphoria physics engine used in the game.
Pwnzor326 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I was thinking that it wasn't on PC because it would be harder to charge for dlc, due to the probability of modders making their own...

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
Sidias.R
Rookie

Actually, I approve of the idea of it not being avilable for the PC. It would just be modded like every other game - that is, if the PC was able to run the Engine.
Sidias.R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
Born Acorn
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzor326 View Post
The reason its not on the PC is because the PC has trouble running the Euphoria physics engine used in the game.
Wherever this reason came from, it's a load of rubbish. GTA IV, which uses Euphoria, is coming out on PC. The Euphoria minsite states it is for PC, and to begin with, Euphoria would have been designed, coded, and probably even tested on a PC before any consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidias.R View Post
Actually, I approve of the idea of it not being avilable for the PC. It would just be modded like every other game - that is, if the PC was able to run the Engine.
Why would "modding" the game be bad? Some PC games well over 10 years old are only still played because of the efforts of modders. Also, the PC could easily handle TFU. People must remember that "this generation" of Consoles were effectively designed and their specifications set in stone in 2006. While the average PCs of that time were only on par, or even below spec, by now, they are a hell of a lot more powerful in all departments.
Born Acorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Sidias.R
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Acorn View Post
Why would "modding" the game be bad? Some PC games well over 10 years old are only still played because of the efforts of modders. Also, the PC could easily handle TFU. People must remember that "this generation" of Consoles were effectively designed and their specifications set in stone in 2006. While the average PCs of that time were only on par, or even below spec, by now, they are a hell of a lot more powerful in all departments.
IMO, I don't think modding TFU would improve the game - it would ruin it. Once again, it's my opinion.
The thing is, I do like it when games are modded, but TFU is an exception, really.
Sidias.R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
Born Acorn
Lurker

I personally don't touch mods, I like games as they're meant to be, it's just modding has done a lot for games, and I couldn't see why it'd be a negative point, but I see now it was just a personal opinion similar to my own.
Born Acorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidias.R View Post
IMO, I don't think modding TFU would improve the game - it would ruin it. Once again, it's my opinion.
The thing is, I do like it when games are modded, but TFU is an exception, really.
Well, then just don't download the would-be mods.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #23
GwannaSauna
Rookie

Meh, Star Wars games were good for PC from, let's see, 1995-2003. Then they started going downhill and the creators, developers, and publishers said "Our PC sales aren't doing well. Let's make a vow never to make another Star Wars game for the PC!" while the employees chanted "Amen!". And that, my fellow PC-gamers, is why there will never (I repeat, never) be another Star Wars game for the PC!

Consoles dominate most games these days. If you want to keep up with PC games, you have to buy a really really good PC with high specs and a perfect video card. And the way I see it, why not buy the game for $50.00-$60.00 instead of $3,000+, mmkay?

Besides, the only games I ever bought for PC were Empire At War, Jedi Academy, Galactic Battlegrounds, Force Commander, and Galaxies -__-

You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!
GwannaSauna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Katarn00 View Post
I mean come on...It is actually easier to make a game for a PC believe it or not.
actually, it's much more difficult because of the extreme diversity in the PC "platform".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Acorn View Post
Wherever this reason came from, it's a load of rubbish. GTA IV, which uses Euphoria, is coming out on PC.
GTA IV's euphoria is a less robust version, iirc. not entirely sure but that could be part of the reason.

don't forget DMM either, lol.
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwannaSauna View Post
Meh, Star Wars games were good for PC from, let's see, 1995-2003. Then they started going downhill and the creators, developers, and publishers said "Our PC sales aren't doing well. Let's make a vow never to make another Star Wars game for the PC!" while the employees chanted "Amen!". And that, my fellow PC-gamers, is why there will never (I repeat, never) be another Star Wars game for the PC!
DAMN, that makes sense!
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #26
LordSerion
Rookie

I think they'll make it for PC. You know how it goes: at 1st, they say "Absolutely not! It's console-exclusive!" Then, after the bige sales are past "Maybe, just maybe we'll make it for PC." and lastly "It will be made to PC in a year, with tons of extras, besides having all the stuff from all console versions" So, my hope-mode is on.
LordSerion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #27
Pwnzor326
Rookie

Current Game: TES III: Morrowind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzor326 View Post
My mistake the pc CAN run Euphoria but a lot of older systems would have trouble running it so I guess they didn't think enough people could run it to warrant making a pc version which is stupid because I'm pretty sure 4 year old pcs can run Xbox 360 games and also they didn't have trouble putting way inferior versions of the game on the Wii, PS2, PSP, and DS.
Pwnzor326 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Force Unleashed > General > The Secret Apprentice's Logs > PC boycott?